Turner shop

Turner Summer Ski Slalom Boards

Moderators: Peggy Turner, Christopher Bara

Howard Gordon
1953-2010 (RIP)
1953-2010 (RIP)

Post by Howard Gordon » Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:16 pm

While we will continue production of sandwich construction decks (gs/hybrid and gs/hybrid xl), wheels, trucks, etc at other facilities, we are closing the shop in San Diego where we built classic fullnose and cutaway decks. Perhaps there will be a point in the future where we will restart that operation, but economic realities don't favor such a decision at the moment. Those who hoped to add a classic fullnose or cutaway to their collection should not despair - we have a pretty good inventory of these boards remaining from our production efforts over the past 6 months - contact sales@turnerdownhill.com for specifics.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:22 pm

This is not good, not good. For some reason, I feel sad. It's like Turner has some sort of "finger on the pulse of slalom" and this action does not feel like a good prognosis.

Of course this is my own opinion, my own feelings founded on the "whole timeline" since the late seventies.

In the scheme of things, slalom has survived and will continue to survive. Our interests wax and wane, ebb and flow and one thing is for sure, Turner Summer Ski - Turner Downhill has been there for us in one fashion or another.

If you want a 2nd Generation Turner "Classic" this is the time to get one if there ever was.

To the Turner clan, Peggy, Howard, Vince and the rest of you, I wish you all the best in your support of slalom skateboarding and any goals or milestones that you have in life.

Best Regards,

Adam Trahan
On 2002-10-04 10:16, Howard Gordon wrote:
While we will continue production of sandwich construction decks (gs/hybrid and gs/hybrid xl), wheels, trucks, etc at other facilities, we are closing the shop in San Diego where we built classic fullnose and cutaway decks. Perhaps there will be a point in the future where we will restart that operation, but economic realities don't favor such a decision at the moment. Those who hoped to add a classic fullnose or cutaway to their collection should not despair - we have a pretty good inventory of these boards remaining from our production efforts over the past 6 months - contact sales@turnerdownhill.com for specifics.

Howard Gordon
1953-2010 (RIP)
1953-2010 (RIP)

Post by Howard Gordon » Sat Oct 05, 2002 10:56 pm

Adam - I've certainly been thinking about this, and while it is sad to see something end, I actually wish we had made the change a lot sooner, putting less effort into building the old boards, and more effort into creating new designs. Most of Bob's efforts in his final months went into development of the gs/hybrid design, and while I wish he had been here to help with some of the later fabrication process changes and especially with the cosmetics, we ended up with a board that produced far-and-away the most race wins this past season of any deck in the market. Beyond that, Bob's last design project was shaping the foam core for the 44" longboard, and we could have gotten started 6 months sooner on production if we'd focused on it instead of maintaining old production. Most things are obvious after the fact, and I understand why we didn't shift gears sooner, but it was a mistake. On the positive side, we do have a healthy supply of really nice classic boards for those who hope to collect them. But in the future, we'll spend more time looking forward and less time looking back.

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:31 pm

now seriously, altought i wasnt involved in the resurrection of the Turner boards nor the slalom in usa, i feel sad for news like this.
i kind of compare tuner boards with ferraris or lamborghinis, one of the best products ever made, they involve some mistery and passion that when u see them you can almost feel the board calling your name, nothing than canbe expressed in words.

the new products are superb, but if i were livingin usa, or at least have more money, i definetly would buy an "old" model and ride it like i were driving an unique vintage car unvaluable(sp.?),(imagine driving a 1969 mustang mach1 and you stop right next to a 2002 mustang, who do u think ppl will admire the most?)

Turner family and team: in times like this we learn, and get experience, i will wait again the re-opening of the shop. if Bob Turner did after many years, i know that you will do the same. i am patient now

keep it going guys
a secret turner fan

leo
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

Jymi Spica

Post by Jymi Spica » Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:28 am

The best of luck to all the great people at TURNER DOWNHILL. You all have opened up a hole new world of fun for me.
At the age of 41 its getting hard to find new worlds.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Thu Oct 31, 2002 6:03 pm

Jymi,

I hear what you are saying. That was cool to write.

I hope you have fun with http://www.slalomskateboarder.com It will help you explore your new world. If it wasn't for Turner Summer Ski, I am not sure that we would have all collected here as in, I don't think this web site would have exsisted in it's absence.

So here is my thank you & best of luck as well...

adam

quote]
On 2002-10-30 22:28, Jymi Spica wrote:
The best of luck to all the great people at TURNER DOWNHILL. You all have opened up a hole new world of fun for me.
At the age of 41 its getting hard to find new worlds.
[/quote]

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:22 am

TURNER DOWNHILL your boards rock. I am 42 yrs old and I love to skate. Howard Gordon thank you for letting me pick your brain when I call TURNER. You are one cool dude. Eddy Martinez,Harlingen,Texas

WeS Carpenter

Post by WeS Carpenter » Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:07 am

e i o

WeS Carpenter

Post by WeS Carpenter » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:23 pm

The new Turner SummerSki shop is up and rocking