Slalom! [online] in full swing!!!

Organization and Administration

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Slalom! [online] in full swing!!!

Post by Adam Trahan » Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:18 am

For those of you who are interested, the team at PC Pal have finished the design of Slalom! [online] and here is the link: Slalom!

The site is a work in progress, a mirror of what exists in the world of slalom skateboarding.

Please post a "Reply" and let us know what you think.

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:25 am

Looks Great! Very clean looking site. It should be good...

Where is ICK Stick in the manufacturer links? http://www.icksticks.com.

Henry J
Ickboy
Jar Jar

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

Post by Rene Carrasco » Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:50 am

adam trahan wrote:For those of you who are interested, the design team at PC Pal are up on Slalom! [online] and here is the link: Slalom!

Henry Hester
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"

Post by Henry Hester » Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:48 am

Very nice Adam, excellent job, keep it up. Henry

Chris Raezer

Post by Chris Raezer » Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:33 am

I like it! Very well done and another great resource for getting the word out about slalom.

Chris

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:32 pm

Very nice, Adam!! Good, clean design, and great forum for delivering some valuable information.

I am looking forward to every issue!

Curt Kimbel
RoeRacing
RoeRacing

Post by Curt Kimbel » Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:19 pm

Looks very good.

Thanks Adam,

Curt

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:25 pm

Stefan "Lillis" who is a champion freestyle skateboarder and Jani Soderhal (both at PC PAL) are designing Slalom! It is simply an idea come to fruition, one from many, made possible by a few.

Please, I maybe at the helm of this project, but it is the community who is to thank, we are only making a format to put the information into, YOU make the site what it is. That is what is important, your input.

I am more excited about Slalom! the online magazine than I am about anything. So many hours spent reading these little half pages, now there is a internet site where it lives on...

Thanks be to this community.

There is room for everyone here, if something is forgotten or out of place, we will get to it.

Tom Freer

Post by Tom Freer » Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:54 pm

Great!
Can't get enough of it, keep it all coming, it's all good man.

Tom Freer

Post by Tom Freer » Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:56 pm

Jani,
Skit bra sager jag!!!!

Steve Michael
azsuprasm
azsuprasm

Post by Steve Michael » Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:21 pm

We're well connected, Seargent!

-=S=- (Steve in AZ)
Charter Member

Skateboard Addicts Anonymous (SAA)

Over 30 completes and counting.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:17 pm

Lillis and I have realized the design for the concept that Adam invented. Good to hear that it is appreciated.

However, we will not be able to fill it ourselves with interesting interviews, articles, good photos, etc, etc. We need your help. Anything you can provide which will enrich this site is most welcome.

Some things fits better in the forum, others in the magazine. I could imagine the mag pointing visitors to certain threads in the forum, where the visitors can more easily add their input. However the web style of magazine may be a natural place to communicate news that we want everybody to see. I hope it will also become a natural portal into the online world of slalom skateboarding, with links to manufacturers and others who support our sport.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Oct 29, 2002 2:16 am

"However, we will not be able to fill it ourselves with interesting interviews, articles, good photos, etc, etc. We need your help. Anything you can provide which will enrich this site is most welcome."

I shell think of something interesting.
Great format!

Vlad.

Bobby Mandarino

Post by Bobby Mandarino » Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:42 pm

Adam, this site looks great, nice job.

Bobby

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:27 pm

I thought I had left a reply already. I don't it so here goes.

I think the cincept anf format is great. It is the same that Lilis uses in the Freestyle site that I try to stay on top of.

This should allow for some good conversation and development potential as well.

I think the more we out and about in the internet the better. If they cand find us unowingly then it's our job to keep em interested.

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:37 am

I love it....I still have copies of the original printed mag.
Good luck boys!

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:40 pm

Adam, i love the mag, will try to send pics of local events and the school when it "gets moving"

btw
the pocketpistol link at the page has a typo
check it out.

leo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Leonardo Ojeda on 2002-11-07 08:15 ]</font>

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

Post by Rene Carrasco » Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:28 pm

On 2002-10-28 00:50, Rene Carrasco wrote:
On 2002-10-27 22:18, adam trahan wrote:
For those of you who are interested, the design team at PC Pal are up on Slalom! [online] and here is the link: Slalom!

...This is my quote guys -
"Read your Slalom Online- looks cool. I especially liked "Chickens" interview! Way to go! More photo's! Skatin' in the "Morro Bay" Contest was a blast! Come to think of it- so are the WLAC races! Keep up the good work!
...........-Rene' - TEAM CARRASCO BROTHERS.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:05 pm

Rene,

I really want to hear what you have to say. With all due respect, try the "New Topic" or "Reply" button at the top or bottom of the page. I had trouble with this in the beggining, so do a lot of people.

Thanks for visiting, I really appreciate what you and your family do for the sport.

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:32 am

It's feels great to finally see SLALOM! on the net. The initial idea was already there in 1995. And I remember some initial tries to start something up. Unfortunatly the web hysteria came a little bit to late for us. The slaom scene in Europe went into sleep around -95 and so did we. The last SLALOM! issue on paper was done the same year and I still have the article about the European Championship in Riga (Latvia) -95 in my drawer. Hopefully there will soon be a new one to write about now that we can feel the european slalom society waking up again.

Thank's USA for once again starting a trend and thank you Adam for you initiative with "slalomskateboarder.com".

SLALOM! is up and running again and hopefully this time with a lot more people to help keeping up the speed.

/Corky

Chris Raezer

Post by Chris Raezer » Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:54 am

I like how the forums are now integrated into Slalom online.

Job well done guys!

Chris

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:28 pm

Banner? Personally, I am going to keep banners off the site as well as advertising so to speak. Actually, there is a registration page which details the process. The link is at the top right of the Slalom! [online] page.

Debbie Saili from Fibreflex is working on the SlalomSkateboarder.com logo and when we get the design finalized, I will make a couple of vinyl banners for race display as this has been offered to us already by one prominant organizer. (Scott Peer) As far as stickers go, I have no idea what to do with that. Hopefully somebody will help us out. I've had three color silk screen shirts made for an un-related site, I know what to do in regards to T-shirts and vinyl banners, but stickers are beyond me. I like Barret Decks Pocket Pistol stickers, they are of excellent quality, maybe he can help when the time comes.

I think the most important thing at the moment is to have fun with the site, getting the race banners/logo going and simply spreading the word by mouth about http://www.SlalomSkateboarder.com since http://www.ncdsa.com will have nothing to do with us.

Joe, your message here reaches me and the people who help design the site. It is not falling on deaf ears but I'm not sure it needs to be made that easy. The style looks good and I think people will figure it out. It's obvious that the site will help spread the word.

On any account, if it needs to be addressed, the design team will take care of it.

Thanks for the input.
On 2002-11-08 09:14, Joe Iacovelli wrote:
I agree with Chris, the integration with the on-line magazine is superb.

Adam, I realize how hard you are working, but I beg the indulgence of one suggestion. We all talk about growing the sport. The logic in which you site in constructed is most helpful, but I think you still need a cetain level of knowledge to navigate. It's a perfect world vision, but wouldn't it be nice to have a big fat beginners bannner on the front page? How about some stickers to hand out to the kickflippers that will lead them to that introductory page? I'll kick in a couple bucks.

Joe & Nick Iacovelli
USSSF / KHRT

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:53 pm

This is my official YOU-ARE-DA-SH*T “thank you” to Adam Trahan and Jani Soderhall for bringing it and keeping it the way it is. The two of you... I’m out of words.
I think the scale of this thing is going to be later realized and appreciated by many.
Hope I’m not too late mit my modest thankyous? :smile:

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:22 pm

Thank you Vlad.

I do appreciate your participation.

No, you are not too late.

Yes, your enthusiasm is how I get paid.

I feel like I just got an increase in salary.
Vlad Popov wrote:This is my official YOU-ARE-DA-SH*T “thank you” to Adam Trahan and Jani Soderhall for bringing it and keeping it the way it is. The two of you... I’m out of words.
I think the scale of this thing is going to be later realized and appreciated by many.
Hope I’m not too late mit my modest thankyous? :smile:

Gareth Roe
RoeRacing Team Captain
RoeRacing Team Captain

Post by Gareth Roe » Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:39 pm

Adam / Jani-

WOW! You guys have done a great job! Interesting content, great format with a slalom related slant on all fronts. Keep up the great work!

Thanks for your dedication and hard work.
Gareth

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:45 pm

...me too! Thank's Vlad (and all others!).

I destroyed a few little things on the site as I posted it and Lillis is working on fixing it (expect updates next week).

Also forgive me for posting the Slalom! archive although no pages were actually in there (at that time). It was a last minute decision to post the site, although this part was not ready. At least now the very first issue is in there!

As you can quickly tell, nothing on such a site is ever ready. I think we should all get used to the idea that this site is constantly under construction. It can, and will, always be corrected, added to, etc. For example there is almost no info on the greatest of all contests this year: The FCR World Championships. The truth is we have so much info to post we almost don't know where to start!

But please come back again and again and all of these pages will continue to improve!

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:58 pm

To have a page which describes the sport of slalom in a few easy words and with a few pictures of boards, cones, a course layout etc is an excellent idea.

Anybody volunteers to write such an introduction?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:26 pm

And silence descends upon the forum... :smile:
It can be a collective-effort product. And I bet it could even be better then a one-man’s work.
I’m already locked in writing some stuff for beginners. So I’m out.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:47 pm

Thanks for explaining your idea better detail Joe.

Jani, in regards to the Morro Bay competition, I am currently working on a story that includes some site history and observations from my aspect. The way the story is coming along may help those who are thinking about racing...

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:38 pm

No worries Joe.

I'll take over as cone guy for you any time you want to take a pee break! I'm not proud.

:smile:

I enjoyed meeting you at Avilla/Morro.

Good luck and best regards.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:01 pm

Joe, and others who would like to contribute material to this site: don't worry about the design or the html code itself. Our web designer Stefan "Lillis" Akesson will handle that for us. Just submit an article in any format (e-mail, Word or whatever format you prefer) and pictures (tif, jpg or other) to adam@SlalomSkateboarder.com or jani@SlalomSkateboarder.com and we'll make sure it gets properly formatted and posted.

Your help in creating content is invaluable and will be appreciated by all visitors!