[2011] European Sanctions surrounding the UK events

European Races & Results (for Major, Main and Prime level races)

Moderators: Jani Soderhall, Robert Thiele

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

[2011] European Sanctions surrounding the UK events

Post by Sam Gordon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:38 pm

Having lost quite a bit of money last year in hosting a race where just one International made an appearance, would it be at all possible that no high-rated sanctions are handed-out in the weeks surrounding the UK event? We have, after all, booked the time, paid for the hills, insurance and camping before any other event on the calendar. Last year folks who'd promised to turn up were exhausted by a late-scheduled Worlds that occurred the week before ours. In this way we might have a cat's chance in Hell of attracting a varied International field!

We don't need a supersized field to make it worthwhile, however if it goes as last year, then this will be the last comp that we can afford to put on. That would be a shame.

Peter Pletanek
SlalomGangBang
SlalomGangBang

European Sanctions, surrounding the UK event

Post by Peter Pletanek » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:22 am

Sam, I can see until yet following

30-31 July 2011, Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic, Main candidate
13-14 August 2011, Policka, Czech Republic , Main candidate

If I understand it right, that's exactly what you try to avoid, correct?

The EU Marschalls will have a skype telko on 20.12. we take this point on the agenda.
But what I think is, better idea for you could be that the UK National Coordinator contact the Czech National Coordinator and try solve the problem bilateral.

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:34 am

peter,i guess i see where sam is heading:
the problem we had last season is that there are too many races too close by competing for racers.the competition happens when races are weekend after weekend.
each organizer involved loses in this process.

i want to ask a question:
why don't some organizers take a break this year and come back next season-it would definitely help the sport and make some venues more attractive.
just a thought......

Peter Pletanek
SlalomGangBang
SlalomGangBang

Post by Peter Pletanek » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:32 am

Donald,

from my point of you, I basically agree with you.

not so many higher sanctioned races within a short term (weekend after weekend, EU summer time is a short period) will also force the travel willingness (because of traveling costs) for all racers. This could be also the opportunity to visit this year more sk8 countries, meet each another, have a good time on high level races with more "rivalry" aspect :-), this could be also a important point for sponsors (if they know there will be "interesting" count of good skaters).

My Idea try to solve the problem could be a discussion between the National EU coordinators.

Fortunatelly we have a little time [but no to much:-) ] before the 2011 season starts...

Ricardo Damborenea

Post by Ricardo Damborenea » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:29 am

That's why having early input from you guys on plans for this season is so important. We have to have a good picture early on to sort this type of potential conflicts. We already have comprehensive input from Czech and Spain, but not yet from the rest of countries. Please give us input through your NC or directly.

Please check this post

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB ... php?t=7697
Skate Hard While You Can

www.40sk8.com www.mossclub.es

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Post by Sam Gordon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:56 pm

Damn those Czechs!

Actually, the CZ team put on the best and most organised races of the year, so let's do nothing to hinder their good work. Both Hradek Kralove and Policka are memorable for all of the right reasons. The guys step up to the mark every time and add value to every event.

In reality, race ranking without a valid racer-ranking-points-system is immaterial. Typically skaters will migrate to the best organised event.
My earlier post is really a trigger towards discussing why its worth putting on events. If the racers aren't interested, then who is? Who should take part?

Should there, for example, be a racer category system like in cycling? In other words, a Cat 3 Racer would not be able to enter a Cat 1 race. Are there enough participants to make this work, or even to go round?

The UK race dates were reserved two years ago. Both last year and this year's event have been advertised a year in advance. The cycle centre where it will be taking place is booked up until the Olympics in 2012, so the date cannot be changed. Moving it to a less saturated time is not a possibility.

This year, ours is a two day event rather than three, so costs are reduced and weekend warriors can easily have a good blast at a fun bash. Effectively I have sorted my own problem. Only when the event is big enough and well regarded should it be stretched to three days. A competitive hybrid and great GS is enough to fill the stoke of most racers.

But what to do for other events in a similar situation to ours? Perhaps events could have a maximum participant sign-up list. A deposit could be deducted or racing points erased for a no-show in order to avoid false sign-ups.

One of the key difficulties is that good racers will not travel to lesser races, because all they seek is to test themselves against the best.

Perhaps when skaters can't enter every competition, events will become aspirational and growth will occur again.

Discuss!

Josef Stefka

Post by Josef Stefka » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi Sam
I respect the date for the London race and I will be glad if you will be assigned a high status.
Since the beginning of the planned dates of the Czech Cup I say that we need to change the dates, but Polička organizers insist on their own.
I'm working on changing the date in Hradec Kralove.
I hope that the London race organization will be successful and if the operation my knees will good I would like to come with other Czechs first weekend of August to London.