Made in England: Blighty Championships - June 27th/ 28th

European Races & Results (for Major, Main and Prime level races)

Moderators: Jani Soderhall, Robert Thiele

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Made in England: Blighty Championships - June 27th/ 28th

Post by Sam Gordon » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:56 am

Last edited by Sam Gordon on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Game plan

Post by Sam Gordon » Wed May 13, 2009 1:01 pm

Image Image

Setup for the Hybrid Dual Slalom on the Saturday will start at 12:00 noon. This will include the putting up of ramps, course setting and laying down of timing gear.

Race registration will be in the clubhouse at 12:30, where competitor numbers will be allocated.

Entry fee for both days is £15.00. Entry fee for one day (either Saturday or Sunday) is £10.00.

Insurance and track hire have already been paid, so please get your entry sub in early via PayPal to:

ukssa01@gmail.com

Open practice will be run from 1pm (earlier if possible) with the racing starting at 1:30pm.

Qualifying will be the best time of two runs, one run in each lane.

Starting for qualifying will be individually timed, but in order to keep up the racing impetus, racers are requested to go within ten seconds of being permitted on course, with parallel qualifying preferred (ie: racers going together ASAP).

Time and numbers (and weather) permitting, there will then be bracketing into two groups of 16, A and B Groups. If there are any delays then a single bracket of top 16 will be arranged. We have the course until 4pm, but 6pm has been made available should it be required.

Starting in the heats will then be via the standard European system of 'five second warning, ' where, once racers are ready, a start will ensue at any point within the next five seconds. Anyone DEEMED to be jumping the start will be given just one verbal warning before being given the DQ penalty of 10per cent of the fastest qualifying time.

Cone penalty will be 0.1 seconds per cone.

If a cone is hit and remains either touching or in part of its circle then it is not to be counted as a penalty. If a cone is out of place on your run, then pull out of the course and raise your hand immediately. If cones are knocked out in front of you by the opposition's cones then do likewise. A rerun will occur. If these rules are deemed to be abused, then the organiser's delegated referee decision will be final. Even if wrong.

Please can competitors cone-marshall on their way back up the hill to the start. There will be four posts dividing sections of the course. Move up one position after each race. Please offer to cone-marshall even if you have been knocked out of the competition. The heats go through very quickly as the final approached and accurate marshalling is critical.

Camping: http://www.lambourne-end.org.uk/

We have booked camping on Saturday evening on behalf of the UKSSA at:

The Lambourne End Centre
Manor Road
Lambourne End
Essex
RM4 1NB

Tel: 020 8500 3047
Fax: 020 8559 8481

Location: http://www.multimap.com/maps/?zoom=15&c ... 376&dp=904

Make note that this is a site for Christian youth groups, so please try to avoid the customary crucifictions and playing of Black Sabbath.

This includes camping ground, shower and toilet facilities, but you have to provide your own tent and cooking facilities.

We have had to pay for the camping in advance, so folks are encouraged to use the facility. Depending on numbers, costs per head should be about £10.00.

Evening food: and refreshment is available just down the road at the Camelot pub:

http://www.millerandcarter.co.uk/thecamelotromford/

Image Image

GS - Sunday

We have the track from 9:00am onwards on Sunday, so setup of the course will begin then, with choice of slope depending on weather conditions. It will consist of a single lane timed run with start ramp. Each racer will have three runs (time permitting) with the best of these runs counting as final time.

A Top Gear style leader board will show the best riders and times to beat.

Again, it is preferred that a competitor goes within ten seconds of the course being open to them, choosing within that slot the best start moment given prevailing conditions.

It is requested that competitors assist in cone-marshalling on their return up the course.

Once racing is complete, then the track will be open to Freeride until 5pm. Longboarders are encouraged to enter the GS which should suit a more carving flow rider style.

If time and weather hold, then an informal Vintage Race will take place on the Indy Circuit as used on the Saturday.

http://www.ncdsa.com/20/Pre-1980-Vintag ... d-Gear.htm

Boards from the seventies are to be encouraged, however anything crap will probably do. Unless it wins.
Nutsack, Frank, Leon, Charalambous, Clingfilm, Levene, Sweeney and Ed might well be handicapped by being forced to use boards made in this millennium.

Because of the nature of the insurance and event, a helmet must be worn at all times.
Last edited by Sam Gordon on Thu May 21, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Wed May 20, 2009 9:15 am

Whooo hoooooooo. Proper hills and the best slalom location in Europe!

Should be a good one, and ideal for any Euros who fancy seeing London while the pound is down the pan. Good call on the camping Sam. This race will be 'In tents'!

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Campsite

Post by Sam Gordon » Wed May 20, 2009 12:54 pm

Thanks Michael,

We have suggested to the Lamborne End Centre that there will be a maximum of thirty in our group. Camping reserved for:

Steve Munchh
Gabe Steptoe
Sam Gordon + pub
Tony & Jude Lord
Rob Ashby
Paul Price
Mmedo 1848
Dominic
Casper
Ian Cranfield and Carla
Mike & Dylan Allinson
Michael Stride
Louis Selby
Edwin Brockman
Martin Sweeney
Paul Keleher
Michael Stride + pub
Andy M
Nat Halliday
Glen & Jack Corpes
Graeme
Gang of Germany x 6 & pub
Chris Hansen-Greville

Contact me or post on NCDSA if you wish to be added to this list.

Sam
Last edited by Sam Gordon on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 18 times in total.

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Accurate location

Post by Sam Gordon » Wed May 20, 2009 7:30 pm

... is available on the UKSSA site here: http://www.ukslalomskateboarding.com/hh.htm

Visual screen grab

Map grab

The nearest undergroud station is "Fairlop" on the central line. Its about a mile away. See the TFL Journney Planner: http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/X ... anguage=en for details.

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Sat May 30, 2009 10:39 pm

You can order the T shirts for the race here: http://www.octanesport.co.uk/shop/cloth ... shirt.html
You can order and pay fro them in advance to guarantee you get one in your size. We will deliver them at the race (thanks Donald!) or send them to you afterwards if you fancy one (or two!) and can't make it to the race. These DO tend to be popular and ALL profits go the UKSSA. Buying in advance helps us SO much to cut down on extras, and allows you to KNOW we have your ones ready and waiting at the race when you sign up, bagged and named!!!

Paul Price
Pavel Racing Team
Pavel Racing Team

Post by Paul Price » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:43 pm

I was just about to pay for my entry with paypal.
What is the exact cost for the camping please?

"Entry fee for both days is £15.00. Entry fee for one day (either Saturday or Sunday) is £10.00.
Insurance and track hire have already been paid, so please get your entry sub in early via PayPal to:
ukssa01@gmail.com"

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Camping

Post by Sam Gordon » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:59 am

Hi Paul,

The camping is entirely separate from the race entry fee and is £10.00 per head.
I'll add you to the list of happy campers above.

'This includes camping ground, shower and toilet facilities, but you have to provide your own tent and cooking facilities.'

There is no internal accommodation available at the centre and all of their tents have already ben hired out, so it's a case of 'bring yer own.' Ooh matronnn.

Sam

Oh yes; great T-shirt design, Michael. Put me down for a medium in navy blue!

Mike Allison

Hog Hill camping

Post by Mike Allison » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:42 pm

Hiya Sam, both me and my eldest are entering and camping, (Mike & Dylan Allison). I'll get the money to you through Dominic's Paypal soon as I'm paid and can meet up with him, hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday. We're getting a lift up with Tony too. All that kit piled into a car with 5 people... reminds me of Zurich!

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Tight

Post by Sam Gordon » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:55 pm

On the list, Mike. (And ask Pelle about packing if you can find out where he lives). Now there's a man who likes his tight!

Image Image
Where's Pelle?

Bart Brunninkhuis

Post by Bart Brunninkhuis » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:54 pm

i'm in! :)

Rob Ashby

Post by Rob Ashby » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:42 pm

Bart it will be good to see you, are you going to come with Paul?

Hog Hill and NASS eh? Excellent!

Cheers

Rob

Bart Brunninkhuis

Post by Bart Brunninkhuis » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:43 pm

yes, yes and yes!!

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:43 pm

sam...i'll definitely unload a gigantic selection of toys,new toys,also we will bring some bratwürstchen for the hungry brits hahahahaha

Rob Ashby

Post by Rob Ashby » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:27 pm

Donald, with your toys and sausage you are really spoiling us!

So then thats the Pavel guys and the Dutch Crew signed up - any other takers?

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Holy smoke

Post by Sam Gordon » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:27 pm

So that's where the Pavel design inspiration comes from:

Image Image

Reckon it'll be super hot with a dash of English mustard on it!

I'm sure that I'm first among many to say that we are all looking forward to seeing the fine wares from Uncle Donnie's toy shop.
Kinda Summer Killa Santa!

Sam

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Weekend weather

Post by Sam Gordon » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:40 pm

Check out whether you are going to need raincoats and Sou'westers or Speedos and flip-flops here:

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOME/

Type in the postcode IG6 3HP for 'accurate' details. Image

Sam

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi,

Two contests on the same week-end, good news because that shows that there is a lot of people involved and enough participants.

I will not be able to be there.

I have a lot to do here and it simply better that I concentrate in doing just what I have to do to get the contest in Amsterdam going in September. I also have a commitment with the municipality of Amsterdam that obliges me to run the school on Saturdays and I have to do it.

Good luck with your event and all the best!!

Rob Ashby

Hog Hill - Tansport from Fairlop Station

Post by Rob Ashby » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:27 pm

For those going to Hog Hill via Fairlop Tube Station here are some local cab numbers to call that pick up from the station:

Redbrige Radio Cars: 020 8550 4444 or 020 8501 4817

Forest Car Service: 020 8500 3333

Chigwell Cars: 020 8500 7777

Your destinaion is Redbridge Cycling Track, Forest Road - It's just over a mile, it's OK to skate but could be awkward if you have weekend gear, tent etc.

See you all there!

Thanks for the good wishes Flavio, we'll look after the Dutch Crew - brodjes en hagel all round!

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Do what?

Post by Sam Gordon » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:53 am

Please remember that for insurance purposes you must sign a disclaimer before you can skate on the track. And you must wear a helmet too. Thankyou!

See you all later,

Sam

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Blighty Shots

Post by Sam Gordon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:38 am

Last edited by Sam Gordon on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:21 am

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Hybrid Slalom H2H Results

Post by Sam Gordon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:15 pm

Just in from CCR HQ:

Last edited by Sam Gordon on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:14 pm

Wait a minute.....

ERNST kicked ass BIG TIME in the UK!!!!

CONGRATS ERNST!!!!!!

I knew it would be a question of time but this is sooner than I had expected.

Bart well done jongen!! 5th is helemaal niet verkeerd!!!

Rob Ashby

Hog Hill Photos

Post by Rob Ashby » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:34 pm

Some photos from the weekend here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robs_galle ... 602597353/

And what a great weekend it was – so much to say.

First a big thanks as ever go to Michael, Sam, Paul K, Edwin for shouting, coneheading, photography and camp fire yarns; to Ian Coles and his team - especially to Nick who, with the aid of his mighty Yamaha buggy, helped ferry stuff around during and after the race and even in Saturdays torrential rain!, to Mike and Dom for organising the Grom race Sunday it just seemed to snowball, really inspirational and amazingly competitive.
Thanks to Donald, Ollie, Verena, Martijn, Bart and Ernst for making the trip over, I think we gave you a bit of everything typically British - hospitality at our newest and finest race location, panoramic views of London, RAIN/weather, warm bitter, flat Amstel, lousy service, tea and our fine sense of fair play. Just for good measure we even threw in a bit of good ‘ole English eccentricity by letting some bloke dressed as a member of Great Britain cycling team enter the GS on Sunday. He kept claiming to be Sam Gordon but he looked a bit “Andy Murray’ish” to me!
Thanks too go to Gabe for making the “long haul” from the ‘Ho; great that we will be seeing even more of you over the coming weeks both in Brighton and at NASS. Your journey will be getting shorter and shorter each week Bro.
Thanks to Chris HG for coneheading the weekend and providing the British ingenuity demonstration at the campsite on Sunday morning by showing how to rescue an Aerobie from a roof using only a tent pole!
Finally thank you to every one else for coming up/down and for making this a memorable weekend and also for making our visitors feel at home.

Commiserations and special mention to Graham who having had a blow-out on the way up, then have his amp failing when it was set up suffered further misfortune on the journey home by getting another blow-out! Please don’t let this put you off further trips – if you can?
The Hog reminded some of us how it can sometimes “bite back” when you least expect it over the weekend (looks at knees/hand) and demonstrated the importance of pads and lids. I hope all of you that suffered “a nasty nip” from the Hog heal soon.
Tony you recover from one thing only to get another – mend well mate.

We had a bit of everything this weekend great racing, spectacular lightening show, spills and thrills, a chance to try something new – GS, Downhill, LDP, Sliding even gravity biking, I learnt not to set up a GS board you’ve hardly ridden before a race (I should have stuck to my Roadster, ar*e!) there were camp (Eddy) fire tales and anecdotes, and a chance to compete against our European cousins on home turf but above all FUN!
Now that Donald has seen Hog Hill first hand I’m sure word will spread around the European slalom community of it being a prime race site so we should prepare ourselves for larger Euro turnouts at future races there, so practice, practice, practice folks!

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

More Pictures:

Post by Sam Gordon » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:53 pm

All of the following are by Ed except the first which is by Martijn

City of London from The Hill

Sam vs Donald

Nat vs Mike

Tony vs Luke

Sam vs Gabe

Verena on fiya