Ridden a RoeRacing deck...post a review!

Roe Slalom Boards

Moderator: Gareth Roe

Dan Loveland

Post by Dan Loveland » Thu May 01, 2003 12:12 am

Roe Boards Rip! They are the best boards out there. No reason to ride anything else. Honeycomb/Carbon Fiber and they are built in the great northwest!

PDX Spring Thaw Video is Online!
http://www.daddiesboardshop.com/slalom/
Free 11.5 mb Windows Media File
Enjoy!

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed May 07, 2003 3:23 am

From DC forum comes a Roe discussion

UR13 said
I think the point of need for true TS (I like the term technical slalom) boards was crystal clear. The fact people like myself, john and TK had to push giant GS decks through the TS showed it very clear. I our cases it was the only deck we had at the time. You can be sure things will change.

Gareth and I talked about a few shapes and you will be seeing some TS Roes soon.

Trust me the point was very clear.

--------------------------------------------

Vlad Popov replied
---------------------------------------------
Cool. I'd like to have a soft (very soft) Mini-Bullet and a stiff (medium flex) Mini-Bullet. Max 7 1/4 inch wide, with the Bullet nose and tail and (almost) straight middle section. The tail should be NO less then 6 3/4 inch wide and the fattest part should be NO more then 7 and 1/4 inch wide. That would make a good addition to the quiver.

Vlad.

------------------------------------------
Terence Kirby inerfered
-------------------------------------------

Vladi, what would the soft be for and what would the stiff be for? I want a mini bullet 28.5" x 8.25 at the widest point tapering back to around 7" on the tail.

Mabet this can be moved to the Roe forum?

Vlad Popov was forced to call Terence and reply again

As you said on the phone, soft would be esp. good for crazy offsets, while an almost-no-flex-super-low-camber stiffy will be usefull on parallel (and almost parallel) straight slalom courses and ohter tight courses with not many offsets.

Fattnes, truck hole pattern and consequently position of the sweet spot could be individual.

Vlad.

PS. I rode my Plankk-R Roe some more, and it does what is supposed to do. The flex is stiffer then I thought, which is very beneficial only under a super pump such as Cyber pump and fast-courses-with-wider-gates pump. I've lost count of the podiums that this board has been upon within the first month. I think it's 3. You make your own conclusions, I think I have the best shape Roe ever and that's why it keeps winning.

Post by Guest » Wed May 07, 2003 4:05 am

Vlad...I am laying out some new TS shapes for Gareth tonight and tomorrow and also designing my own TS shape (well two of them, one is in the pipe already)....Gareth will have some in the next few days and I'll let him post them if he likes....

I've done alot of R&D on both my TS shapes, in layups and outline shape AND core shape. I did a final testing on an idea tonight running mixed 5'OC-5'6"+18" offset and it performed well....

It is going to be a fun summer!

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed May 07, 2003 4:06 am

Yam! (that is Russian for something...I don't remember what, I've been in the States too long Image)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vlad Popov on 2003-05-06 22:30 ]</font>

Post by Guest » Wed May 07, 2003 4:17 am

On 2003-05-06 22:06, Vlad Popov wrote:
Yam!
Yam? Is that russian for something?

:razz:

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed May 07, 2003 5:15 am

Uhhmmm....I know I'm a Roe Team rider....but uhhhhh....what was wrong with the bottle rocket? For my modified parallel stance it was near perfect. I understand for surf stance or raised heel it might not be as desirable. But for really fast steeps and high cones per second speeds in technical stuff I think the modified parallel is really good. For the flatter stuff with big offsets raised heel is better. (not new info really as you just have to look at freewheeling the movie to understand that onoe. Stacy rides "euro" raised heel, while Piercy is pure parallel. )

Modified parallel allows for more front to rear balance range and more control in slides than traditional parallel. Traditional parallel allows for very high cone per second speeds on steeps with straighter cones- but is limited in pumping power and ability to handle offsets.

Gareth...I need a deck desperately for Paris. The Bottle rocket is more of a technical high speed TS deck for steep hills. The Plank shape is more for rounded turns- to be ridden with raised heel.

Likely for Trocadero I would be better off with a plank type shape or S-camber shape. But As I am used to teh bottle rocket and have truck geo's that I am comfortable with it would probably make me faster than to adapt toa new set up. Though after two days on teh new Roe shape at G3 I felt pretty comfortable. Very funny though to have to run a GS deck through mostly TS courses.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Gilmour on 2003-05-06 23:19 ]</font>

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Wed May 07, 2003 5:31 am

JG's right. The BR is an incredible deck. Can gareth fill out the nose just a bit and keep the short length and tail the same? I want one of them and one mini bullet.

Post by Guest » Wed May 07, 2003 6:07 am

TK, and or JG ask Gareth to show you the "ur13 bottle rocket"...I think you may like it....

I gotta admit the new Roe fulltail unlimited is a great board. a 30"x8.75" deck is a HUGE deck to me but I managed to ride my unlimited through ALL of the courses at the gathering. One board, one set of trucks (4" PVDs) and it did it all. Sure I would have prefered specific decks for specific course types (I'm working on that) but the unlimited fulltail completely blew me away with it's ability to do alot of different things.

Gareth nailed it with this deck. For a big deck it fits my gilmourian stance just right...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chris Stepanek on 2003-05-07 00:09 ]</font>

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Sat May 10, 2003 5:11 am

Time to open a new thread called "Roe wish list".

Gareth Roe
RoeRacing Team Captain
RoeRacing Team Captain

Post by Gareth Roe » Wed May 14, 2003 1:30 am

Joe-
The yellow Bonita I had at the G3 is the pintail version. We now have a full-tail version as well. This is a custom board that was professionally painted by Corey Moy for RoeRacing. We hope to be able to offer Corey's handiwork as an option on all our boards in the very near future.

This board is a lot of fun to race on! It is 36" long and has an inner hole to inner hole dimension of 25.25". The resulting axle to axle wheel base on this set up is 28". The extra real-estate gives you instance confidence.

It it set up with a Seismic 135 (yellow springs) that is wedged to increase steering. In the rear, I have a Tracker RTX off-set that TK had made last October. It has Bones Blue Bushings and is mounted flat on a 1/4" riser.

For wheels I have 88a Flashbacks up front and 81a Flashbacks in the rear. I normally run 92a’s up front and the 88a’s in the rear. Pleasure Tool Ceramic Bearings round out the package nicely!

<b>This board is fun!</B> The harder I push it through the cones, the harder it pushes back! I have not found its limits yet!

Glad you liked it! It was quite popular at the G3. Chaput, Gilmour and myself used it for the GS race and it was loaned out for the uphill pump and a lot of other events! This beauty can be pumped around as if it were 29" long! It is almost like cheating in the longboard events!

Joe- when can we build one for you?
Cheers!
Gareth

Brady Mitchell

Post by Brady Mitchell » Wed May 14, 2003 5:51 am

Gareth,
My Bonita is drilled somewhere around 27" on the inner holes. I was thinking of redrilling it with an inch step in on both ends. My questions are these...

Will added holes affect the decks integrity? Who should I have do the redrill?

Currently it is set up with RTX front and RTS offset rear. Both are wedged for added steering ( I originally had the rear with a stock RTS and only changed the hangers when I got the offset, I`ll probably go flat riser when I get a round to it). Wheels are Flashbacks 84a/81a and red rad pads w/Bones Swiss bearings.

I love this board. Though crisp in response, the wide platform is very forgiving. I just think I need to shorten the wheelbase for added performance (much like yours).

I`ll be looking into a TS deck as it seems I`ll be mostly running this type of courses on the east coast. Having ridden Chucks and Alans decks, I don`t know which I like better? Decisions, decisions. I guess you can never have too many ROEs.

Gary Fluitt
asphaltplayground.com
asphaltplayground.com

Post by Gary Fluitt » Wed May 14, 2003 6:38 am

Brady,
I've got my full tail Bonita (Eldorado) drilled with a 27" inner-to-inner hole, AND a 24" inner-to-inner hole. The second hole pattern didn't effect the tortional properties of the deck, but it sure allows me to pump the board in the flats. I can pump through 7' gates with the 24" set up. I have an RTX w/increase wedge up front, and a TTC flat in back. With Avila's I find that I have to wedge the hell out of the trucks to get it up high enough to avoid wheel bite.
Anyway- you should drill a set of holes at 24" and let me know how it feels.
Gary

Jim Siener
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S.

Post by Jim Siener » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:08 pm

Roe Bullet review

I had Gareth make me up a Bullet with Med-Stiff Flex for my 175 lbs. It was sent to TK and we drilled it together after flexing it. The wheelbase is 19.25" inner hole to inner hole making it about 21" axel to axel. This is my first high-performance board. Before this board I was riding some plank boards I made with no flex, and an old Fluid Stinger, and a G&S Response Pro that was way to flexy for my wieght. I have mostly been riding Tracker RTS/X with either Cambrias or Avalons. So from my experience this is what I can say about the Bullet after have riden it through cones in a couple of sessions. The courses were Hyrid courses set at the Arbortem in Boston. One was set tighter with mostly 5.75' cones and the other more open with 7' cones, both pretty fast courses.

The Bullet has been extremely comfortable from the get go. I like the thinner rounded shape versus the more pointy and wider Unlimited and Pocket Pistols I have riden. I have a smaller foot so all that real estate up front you get with a wider board is too much for me. Although the wider nose makes it more possible for wheelbite which has happened to me but proper bushings and tighter trucks makes this a non issue. The flex was deemed "perfect" by TK after drilling it and I have to agree it feels good. The flex makes this board easy to pump and get up to speed on the early cones. It has a lot more snap compared to the much damper Ick Sticks I've rode. Its much easier to pump than the no-flex boards but a less direct to wheel kind of feel you get with a plank. This board definately made me a better slalomer from the start. Its true that better equipment makes you a better slalomer. I have much more confidence on this board on a tighter and faster course, I just feels quicker in my turns with more stability. The board is much more stable at higher speeds than any of my other boards but they were all shorter and thinner boards. At this point I would want to get an offset truck for the rear. This board seems to be a good set up for a Hybrid course, some tight cones, some GS cones, some offsets. It can handle it all. Having riden this board I would love to get the shorter Crossfire which is basically the same shape but 2" shorter and set it up with a smaller wheelbase for a really tight, tight course. For a bigger GS course I would look into maybe a Pocket Pistol because they seem like such big and stable boards. Overall the Bullet has made me faster and better, its been a blast to ride!!!

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:24 pm

Well after the long wait for my Bonita (no ones fault) all can say is it sure is sweet. I've pumped it around the sk8park where I give my sk8 classes and took a few cruises along the streets where I live.

This is a thing of beauty. Lively, responsive and quite a bit of room for altering your stance as the terrain calls for it. Uphill and downhill pumps haven't been this fluid and easy for a while.

Running cones yesterday was killer. I took a couple of runs and was losing the back end with short controled slides. So I decided to remove the Novasid from my Bottle Rocket and exchange it with the RT/S rear.

Well no more sliding. Just added traction and power from this combination. I really can't wait to try some of the new trucks out there.

I was quite surprised that I was able to get that baby through 6' gates nicely. It's an amazing board. Thanks to everyone for pushing constrution techniques and designs for Slalom skateboards to new limits and beyond.
Many Happy Pumps!

Steven Lewis
Steven
Steven

Post by Steven Lewis » Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:38 am

i got a nina hester and the first time i rode it we added 12 more cones to the course and my time stayed the same!!! this deck is amazing!!

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:56 am

how come you guys own so many boards? I hear most slalom racers have entire garages full of decks. I don't even have a garage. In my racing quiver I have one Roe deck . It's my only slalom skateboard I have assembled.

Its just not fair that you guys have all this stuff.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:45 pm

John, Gareth has tried to ship you decks dozens of times but could never reach your cell or email. Consequently, I have lots of new boards. "TK do you know where JG is???"
"not sure Gareth, I think he's gone off to Iceland or something"
"Well I made a new deck for him"
"HE could be gone for months"
What am I supposed to do with this deck?
I'll take it off your hands Gareth!
Thanks TK, youre the greatest!

Mike Cividino

Post by Mike Cividino » Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:11 pm

I have been riding a bullet lately that I got from Claude but I believe it belongs to TK. Anyway, this thing is so much fun. I have it set up with a rt-x up front and a 100mm TTC in the back, but its spaced out to match the RT-x. Wedge in the front and flat in the back with 82a cambria`s. It flies thought the tight stuff with easy. The flex feels great...a good dampened flex, not bouncy but still give you back energy. I wish I was riding this deck at the Gathering, I might have made that red course. Of course all of the practice time I have put in lately is paying off too. TK, I want this deck, can we work something out at Da Farm?. Ive had it regripped but its still in the shape I got it in. Gareth, you make lovely boards, thanks.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:41 pm

Civ, that deck was a low camber prototype from about a year ago. Also its a Stinger not a bullet. Email me and I'll tell you how much to pay pal Gareth for it. Thanks, TK

Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher

2003 widetail Unlimited Low-Camber

Post by Paul Keleher » Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:25 am

i felt it was time to put my thoughts on this deck....I have it now for about 2 weeks..

Totally awesome!! springs to mind.

On first impressions the Finish is so much better than my Original skinny tail, not that it was bad, just now it is super smooth and shiny!!

And whats this!! new Carbon as well!! i'll let Gareth elaborate on that and the finish

Performance wise its Sooo much stiffer, which i like a lot, on the Offset couse that was set at Hyde Park a couple of weeks back, it was very comfortable to ride, made the offsets easily ( RT-x front TTC Rear, white avalons all round) plus retained the speed around the wider offsets nicely, helping to keep the rear wheels pinned to the ground. It pumps up to speed so much faster than my older version as well...

all in all a very, very nice deck.

If you had to buy one deck only...go for a wide tail unlimited....you won't be dissapointed

Heres a piccie, alongside my Bottle Rocket

Paul K

Cameron Conn

Post by Cameron Conn » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:39 am

My roe(33'' bonita) is awsome! I love it! I havent had it for such a long time, but I can tell its awsome. Its so easy for me to pump. Ive tryed other cambered boards and this pumps way eiser that those boards(there not quite slalom boards.)
I will keep posting about how this board rides and will try to get a pic posted
Its like a gift. I can't control it.

Noah Koski

Post by Noah Koski » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:11 pm

I have ridden camerons board and it IS awsome! I orderd an unlimited and i will be here on monday and i am sooo exited
SLALOM!
"Pain is temporary..........Glory is forever"

Cameron Conn

Post by Cameron Conn » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:00 am

i'm exited for you to get your board too! That way I can try an unlimited witch I have bin wanting to try for some time now.
Its like a gift. I can't control it.

Hennequin yves

Post by Hennequin yves » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:38 pm

I've ridden a Roe Xfire S-Camber. It's perfect. Wide enough. Perfect easyness of foot placement. I love it.

David Baker
David Baker
David Baker

Riding my new boards

Post by David Baker » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:18 am

My custoom Foam-core torsion_box Roe rips! I set it up with a 105 Seismic with an angled riser in front and a Split-fire in the back. 3DM's all round. The torsional stiffness realy makes it go where you point it. It seems to help keep the back truck planted nicely when reaching for those odd offsets. The S-Camber is a cool little board and pumps nicely through the flatter stuff (cyber slalom here I come)
Thanks tyo the people at Roe!

Gareth Roe
RoeRacing Team Captain
RoeRacing Team Captain

David Baker's custom Torsion Core

Post by Gareth Roe » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:05 am

David-
I am happy to hear that you like your custom deck! It certainly looked like it was going to be fast! I might have to have one built just like it for myself!

Post a picture of it all set up!

Thanks again and glad to hear that you are enjoying your new decks-
Gareth

Paul Howard

32" Stretched Roe Bullet PS Woodcore

Post by Paul Howard » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:30 pm

I got this a while ago before it made it onto the RoeSlalom site from Steve Hopper, Master Craftsman of the Roe Wood-core Division. I weigh 167 and got the Med/Stiff in the low 3/8" camber and I've been running it from 20" to 23" wb. It feels to me best at 22" and 23" on bigger courses. It's a smidge soft at 23" but I wanted it that way to absorb chatter on rough pavement locations. I put my own wheel wells in with a Stanley Sureform plane(the 10" curved blade), a curved wood rasp and finished with a cabinet scraper then varnished the open wood to prevent moisture buildup. I tend to prefer flatter/lower cambers(so flat you have to get a straight edge against the deck to convince yourself it IS really cambered) than what this deck has but on a big course this deck has a nice (almost bouncy but not bad bouncy) pump with the camber it has and it feels pretty good. It's got plenty of width under each foot and is a really functional shape. I set it up with an AsphaltPlayground RT-X 127 8mm and a steep 15(?)degree wedge up front, and a flat non wedged Seismic 130 MMW8mm 30 degree baseplate in back and Grippins or Avalons, or Manx or whatever. Good G/S and big hybrid setup for sure. It basically does/has what I always wanted out of my Comet Cross but couldn't quite get. Adios-Paul
I just dig slalom!

Shane Causey

unlimited ps

Post by Shane Causey » Wed May 04, 2005 5:37 pm

I'm new and not about to get into a long detailed review of my unlimited ps but.....I luv it!!! I got this deck second hand but barely used. I also won't get into what I was on before but what a difference a deck can make. I suppose everyone has their own preference but I think it all comes down to what you feel the most comfortable on, and this one is light years ahead of my previous deck. THANX GUYS for putting out a GREAT product.
luvin my ROE!!

David Baker
David Baker
David Baker

What the best dressed roes are wearing

Post by David Baker » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:50 am

My current cut-away for hybrid racing...

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

PS 3.2 SE (Special Edition).....

Post by Martin Drayton » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:27 am

Just rode my new GS/Slalom/Hybrid board... Its a Performance Series 3.2 with custom graphics courtesy of www.originalsnowboardart.com .

The first pic shows it with the new graphics and unmounted.

I mounted it with 2 x 107mm Splitfire Trucks (yes, both fronts...but it worked for me at Morro bay last year...so...) It is drilled for 21, 21.5, 22 & 22.5" for anything from a tight Hybrid to a loose GS!
It has THE best foam kit job ever, courtesy of a guy called Rich with a belt sander...
ImageImage
A perfect finish!
Currently it is shod with Pink Gumballs, but will get Zig-Zags and my rare Reflex-formula Grippins too depending on the course!

How does it ride?.... It was harder work to get going on a Hybrid set on the flat because of the weight of the wheels, but half way through the course it moves up another gear and takes off!
On a hill... it drives into turbo from the get-go, feels incedibly fast, yet super stable. When up to speed it feels as turny as a TS board! I am loving the big platform, at no point were my size 9's going to hit any cones...definately two big thumbs up!

Eddie Spearing

Post by Eddie Spearing » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:43 am

Nice one Martin.
Kisses xx
Eddie