[2008] National Championships Schedule/General Information

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

[2008] National Championships Schedule/General Information

Post by Jack Smith » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:23 pm

Schedule:

Friday, July 11
Super G on Turri Road
One and Done 50 Cone Challenge on the beautiful Morro Bay Harbor Walk

Saturday, July 12
Hybrid and Tight Qualifying - Location TBA
Longboard Skateboard “Paddle” Race at Cloisters Park - Sponsored by Kahuna Creations
Racer Party with Bruce Brewington’s Surf Band – Location TBA

Sunday, July 13
Hybrid and Tight Racing (Double Elimination)- Morro Bay Blvd
Awards Ceremony - Location TBA

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:42 pm

First of all a big thank you to Jonny, Jay and crew for a ton of fun at the April Fool's Skate Jam on Turri Road.

Watching the pro racers enter the "hairpin" at over 30mph was amazing. Way back in '76, on a lunch break from work I ventured out to Turri to tackle that same turn. Of course I was doing my best Denis Shufeldt imitation, Bahne board and cool 70's warm-up suit...just like my hero. Let's just say my riding skills were a poor imitation of Mr. Shufeldt's, ended up with my warm-up suit in shreds and lots of scabs. The people back at the office that day thought I had lost my mind, maybe they were right...still haven't found it!

I would like to welcome Jonny, Jay and Adrian as co-organizers of this the 2008 National Championships of Slalom Skateboarding. These three guys have so much stoke for skateboarding. They will be a huge asset to the Nationals.

On a completely different note...A film script that myself and a friend wrote has been optioned by a Hollywood producer. I first wrote the original treatment in 1996, so it's been a long time coming. It's titled "New Providence", below is a brief synopsis:

A story of redemption and self-discovery about a great female basketball player (actually drafted by the SF Warriors of the NBA in 1969) and the sports reporter who seeks to find her twenty-five years later after she disappeared in 1970. The Sports Illustrated reporter is summoned to Iowa by the publisher (who had written about Mary Hall during her high school days) of the magazine, to the final game ever of the 100-year-old sport of girl's six-on-six basketball. He is issued an ultimatum by the publisher, find Mary Hall and have her at the final game or lose your job. Over the next 36 hours he travels to the small Iowa town of New Providence and back in time 30 years through the story telling of a group of women aged thirty to eighty. Through these women he rediscovers the pureness of sport that he thought was lost forever. Only then is he able to comprehend and find the legendary Mary Hall. Set against the late 1960's backdrop of Vietnam and the burgeoning women's lib movement and mixed with the intrigue of contemporary corrupt sports television executives who plot to fix the outcome of the final game.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:52 pm

The top four finishers in the Master's Hybrid and Tight Slalom will be be seeded into the Open Division Hybrid and Tight Slalom. If a top four Master's racer(s) does not wish to race in the open class, the next eligible racer(s) will be offered the opportunity.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:28 am

Entry Fees:
Pro, Open, Women, Masters
$100.00 before May 15th, 2008
$125.00 before June 30th, 2008
$150.00 after June 30th, 2008
Juniors: $50.00
Kids: Free

We will be using the "Thunder Dome" ramp for the Super-G start on Turri Road, the Nationals course uses the other side of the hill, opposite direction of the April Fool's race.

The "Thriller" will be hosting the Saturday night party at "The Ranch", featuring Bruce Brewington's band.

Event T-shirts are being designed by Adrian Pina and printed by Lance Folley.

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Airfare wars

Post by Marty Schaub » Mon May 19, 2008 10:48 pm

Now this might not hold true for your city pair, but at least from Atlanta there is a bit of a fare war on right now to Santa Barbara and San Francisco.

American has popped up a non resricted fare to San Fran for 288 R/T.

Delta, American, Northwest & united all have a 288 fare into Santa Barbara.

These are pretty decent fares to two airports that are the closest to Morro, besides the itty bitty's.

Good hunting, see you there!!!
La Costa Boy For Life

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Thu May 22, 2008 6:57 am

Honey Skateboards has stepped up to be the timing sponsor at the 2008 Nationals.

Thanks Mike!

More soon!

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Entry Fees

Post by Jack Smith » Sun May 25, 2008 6:11 pm

Due to the continued escalation of gas prices, there will be no late penalty for entry fees at the Nationals. Please try to sign up and get them in before July 1st. Thanks and we are looking forward to seeing you soon.

josh elder

july 11,12,and 13

Post by josh elder » Fri May 30, 2008 9:52 pm

I am looking forward to the Nationals. I am not saying it is going to be easy. It will be my first comp. It will be my first time seeing my uncle marty schaub in a comp. I hope i can place in the top five.

see ya
_________
josh elder

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:28 am

Josh, we are stoked that you will be competing!

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:30 am

Today I was visited by Steve the owner of Kahuna Creations and his son Cory. They were in Morro Bay to scope out the site of the Kahuna "Big Stick" Paddle Skateboarding Race that will be held in conjunction with the 2008 Slalom Nationals.

Steve stepped up big...The winner of the event scores $500!

Details below and on the contest calendar. On Saturday after the Hybrid and Tight qualifying there will be a Big Stick "paddle" Skateboarding race sponsored by Kahuna Creations. "Paddles" will be provided by Kahuna. First place walks away with $500 cash money. There will also be trophies for 16 and under and the women's class. The course is flat, the Pro/Open class will paddle skate two laps, which is just over two miles. The other classes will paddle skate a single lap.

This is gonna be fun!

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:36 pm

The Days Inn on Main Street in Morro Bay is offering special rates to racers competing in the Nationals. The motel is located in the heart of Morro Bay, an easy five block walk to the Pacific Street venue. It's about 5 miles from Turri Road.

For more information on the rates please call (starting June 11th):
800-247-5076 or 805-772-2711
Please let them know you are with the "2008 Slalom Nationals" group.

The folks at the Days Inn have been supportive of slalom racing since 2001.

also...

The La Serena on Morro Avenue in Morro Bay is offering special rates to racers competing in the Nationals. The motel is located in the heart of Morro Bay, an easy four block walk to the Pacific Street venue. It's about 5 miles from Turri Road.

For more information on the rates please call (starting June 11th):
800)248-1511 or (805)772-5665
Please let them know you are with the "2008 Nationals" group.

They have quite a few different room sizes.

josh elder

Post by josh elder » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:25 pm

thanks jack
_________
josh

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:38 pm

Alternative Lodging for The Nationals

Paul Dunn, remember that name? Legendary slalom racer from Morro Bay.

My home is right next door to the house Paul grew up in. His mom sold the place about a year ago to a cool couple from Santa Maria. At the present time they are undecided about what to do with the place, so it’s sitting there empty, and I mean empty.

It’s a very early 1970’s redwood and glass structure, in a cool neighborhood…in the 50’s and 60’s it was called ‘Beatnik Hill”. Although the house has seen it’s better days, it might be perfect for racers on a tight budget. It’s a place where you can throw down your pad and sleeping bag and take a shower. There are no kitchen privileges, mainly because everything in the kitchen is unhooked. Only one bathroom/shower will be available. The easiest way to describe it is “indoor camping”

The house is about 5 blocks from the Hybrid and Tight venue, it’s about 3 miles to the Super G site.

There are at least 5 different rooms, so privacy shouldn’t be an issue. Price is $25.00 per person per night. It will be available from July 10th to July 14th.

Email me if you are interested: jack@theskateboardersjournal.com

PS – Who knows maybe some of that PD mojo will rub off on you.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:17 pm

Jack - emailed you...I'm in.

Thanx!
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:04 pm

Just a friendly reminder to pay your entry fee.

Entry Fees:
Pro, Open, Women, Masters: $100.00
Juniors: $50.00
Kids: Free

Paypal entries:
jack@theskateboardersjournal.com

By US Mail:
Jack Smith
415 Acacia
Morro Bay, CA 93442

Divisions:
Pro
Open
Women
Junior (13-17)
Kids (12 and under)
Masters - Men
Masters - Women

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:20 am

Just got an email from Grant Brittain of The Skateboard Mag to let me know that info about the 2008 Nationals is posted on their site.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Entry Fee Update

Post by Jack Smith » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:26 pm

The following racers have paid their entry fee for the Nationals. If your name isn't on the list please pay your entry fee ASAP.
Paypal ID is: jack@theskateboardersjournal.com
Thank you.
Brad"Jackhammer" Jackman
Brent Kosick
Gib Lewis
John Stryker
Judi Oyama
Lance Folley
Lynn Karmaer
martin reaves
Marty Schaub
Michel Gamache
Paul Price
Rick Floyd
tim kienitz
Bruce Brewington
Richy "Brown Bomber" Carrasco

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:16 am

Seismic Skate Systems signs on as Title Sponsor of 2008 US National Slalom Skateboarding Championships

Sk8Kings joins line-up of US National Slalom Skateboarding Championships sponsors.

Review the 2008 US National Slalom Skateboarding Championships Double Elimination Racing Format.

Lance Folley to supply t-shirts for Nationals.

Read more here.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:53 pm

Don't want to carry your gear on the plane? Ship it...

If you would rather not schlep all your gear through airports, and perhaps save some money due to increased luggage fees from the airlines, please feel free to ship your gear ahead of time. Details here

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:47 am

Sign of the Apocalypse...or not

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Good Luck!

Post by Claude Regnier » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:37 am

Congrats Jack!!!

Good Luck with the event. Sorry I will miss this one but but I booked my summer camps last dec for Jan posting and the 1st two weeks (this race and Hood) have been full since early May.

All the best.
Many Happy Pumps!

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Nationals Karma

Post by Jack Smith » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:31 am

Just received some financial support from Wayne at Surf-Rodz (check his ad in the new Concrete Wave) and Eric Meyer, the guy who started Simple Shoes. Eric grew up in Morro Bay right across the street from Paul Dunn.

Neither of these guys will be displaying a banner at the race, they kicked down because they love skateboarding.

Thanks,
The Organizing Crew