The Boston Cone Dodge June 14th 2008- Moved to Needham!

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

The Boston Cone Dodge June 14th 2008- Moved to Needham!

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:14 am

<font size="+2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
<p align="justify"><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">This June 14th Slalomspot.com, NorthEast Cabana Flow and OceanFrog skate shop are putting on the first Boston Cone Dodge, a slalom and longboard race outside of downtown Boston. <a href="http://www.ncdsa.com/contest_registrati ... 367">Click Here for sign up page. </a></font></p>

Event will be now be held at Needham High School parking lot same as last year. Hybrid and Tight Jam sessions.
http://www.youtube.com/v/VWAcJbjaSEs&hl

Any questions please contact Karl at <a href="mailto:karl@slalomspot.com">Karl@slalomspot.com </a>or call 781 492 9312. </font></p>
Last edited by Karl Floitgraf on Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:33 pm

WOOF!!!
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:08 pm

UPDATE 4/9
So our "outlaw" already got busted. The Dept. Conservation and Recreation found out and has asked me to get a permit. Brings the cost of the event up a lot. Fortunately I'm not taking this lying down and we are really close to be done with our permit application. With Insurance from ASSA and a rented porta potty I think we can get the permit. The Bonus to all this, I will be applying for ISSA points, this is going to be bigger than I had planned.

So for those who signed up last week, the entry fee is going to have to go up. I'm thinking around 30 to cover all the added expenses of the permit. I'm sorry about this.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:13 pm

Pay to play...30 is OK!

With a permit - can we get the dogs kicked out for the day??

Nice job KF. :-)

-R
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:31 pm

Karl - don't forget to update the NCDSA contest sign-up page...which now includes that gnar "Z" dude from the "sandbar"...you know, "where's our trophies" and all that! ;-)

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon May 19, 2008 8:44 pm

Due to unexpected costs of getting the permits, the Boston Cone Dodge on June 14th has been canceled. Sorry!
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

T Whalen

Post by T Whalen » Tue May 20, 2008 12:46 am

Karl,

How much is the DCR permit?

Terry

Tony Peters

Post by Tony Peters » Wed May 21, 2008 2:52 am

any chance of moving it to Needham???
turns are fun....

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Wed May 21, 2008 3:16 am

We were going to have to pay for the insurance up front to find out exactly how much the state would want and after talking to the guys it looks like they would want to shut down the whole parking lot for us plus a lane off route 28 and they might have a requirement to have an Ambulance there. All of this means $$- and I don't have enough time to sort through everything and I'm really bummed but I feel like I've let the skate community down. Sorry guys.

I'm going to try to come up with another spot or another date. More info to come.

UPDATE 5/27

THE BOSTON CONE DODGE LIVES

MOVED TO NEEDHAM HIGH SCHOOL!!!
Last edited by Karl Floitgraf on Wed May 28, 2008 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

T Whalen

Post by T Whalen » Wed May 21, 2008 3:40 am

Karl,

You haven't let us down!

It sounds like they are overeacting/not understanding the scope of the event. It would be interesting to see what they require for the soapbox events and how they handle their practice sessions.

Have you been talking to the local park supervisor or Boston HQ?

Terry

Eric Brammer

If not Mass., no north?

Post by Eric Brammer » Wed May 21, 2008 6:07 am

Hey, if all else fails, a late-June event could be tossed together + held at The Dam. The only downside (other than travel costs) would be the mosquitoes would be lurking... [Maybe a Deet sponsor would help?] ;-)
You want to talk to Ranger Phil there, and give them at least 2 weeks notice in advance.
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Tue May 27, 2008 10:42 pm

How does Needham 3.0 sound? Same Date June 14th at Needham High School. Single lane hybrid and tight race. Cabana ramp start.

More details to come.....
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Nick Chamberlain

Post by Nick Chamberlain » Tue May 27, 2008 11:20 pm

sounds good to me. Rain or shine right? :)

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Tue May 27, 2008 11:32 pm

Sunday June 15th alternative day if weather is sketchy.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Fri May 30, 2008 7:14 pm

Anyone up for training at the Fells Sunday morning the 15th if the Needham race goes off as planned on the 14th? I have cones but no timing. I figure as long as I drive all the way down there I might as well stay Sat. night and hit it.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Hmm!

Post by Claude Regnier » Fri May 30, 2008 10:01 pm

Maybe!
Many Happy Pumps!

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Fri May 30, 2008 10:31 pm

CR comin' to Needham High? Cool...CR, WR, RnR...I can't make Ottawa - my employers are under the impression that July 4th is the holiday, not the 1st...jerks.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Hopefully!

Post by Claude Regnier » Sat May 31, 2008 12:42 am

We're planning on it. Hopefully nothing will get in the way.

It sucks about the event this year but it is all we can do.
Last edited by Claude Regnier on Sat May 31, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many Happy Pumps!

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Sat May 31, 2008 12:47 am

We can totally plan a fells sess around that weekend, just have to keep it quiet because they might be expecting us.

Rick do you want to crash at my place?
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Eric Brammer

Need some Needham

Post by Eric Brammer » Sat May 31, 2008 6:12 am

Karl, I'll do my best to be there, and I'll see if I can't drag Schwipp along, too. Twins, not so likely, as my wife intends to do 'southern family tour' down Joajah-way to see Great-grandparents and other family. Now I gotta go find which box has my Roe in it! ;-)

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:17 pm

sounds like a plan karl. pavement still good as i remember?
No vestido para mi

Tony Peters

Post by Tony Peters » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:05 am

My wife discovered there is a Trader Joes down the street from Needham Highschool so she's gonna come up and study at the library while I attempt not to look foolish :D
turns are fun....

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:37 pm

Karl, any news on lodging?
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:26 pm

Lodging INFO

If anyone wants to get a good cheap room there is a Holiday Inn in Dedham Massachusetts just down the road from Needham.
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/e ... tid=396734
Decent rates.

Couches still a possibility, just let me know.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Less of a maybe!

Post by Claude Regnier » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:32 pm

We are still considering it but money is tight and there is something closer that has come up.

So as I originally told you Karl, It will be last minute if at all.
Many Happy Pumps!

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:27 pm

Karl Floitgraf wrote:Rick do you want to crash at my place?
Maybe - I need to find out about visiting/staying with a friend in Beverly first...do you need to know right away?

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Re: Need some Needham

Post by Rick Floyd » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:30 pm

Eric Brammer wrote:Karl, I'll do my best to be there, and I'll see if I can't drag Schwipp along, too. Twins, not so likely, as my wife intends to do 'southern family tour' down Joajah-way to see Great-grandparents and other family. Now I gotta go find which box has my Roe in it! ;-)
Oh man - I was lookin' forward to racing the twins!

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:31 pm

Tony Peters wrote:My wife discovered there is a Trader Joes down the street from Needham Highschool so she's gonna come up and study at the library while I attempt not to look foolish :D
Trader Joe's has a library...cool.

Eric Brammer

Bringing the family?

Post by Eric Brammer » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:22 am

Rick, Trader Joe's is the only way I'll get my wife to come down. I'll mention it to her right after I use up the 'Volcanic' coffee, and the various Trader Joe snacks that're in the cupboard. :-)

As for racing the Twins... Sitting down, pushing across the floor, these two are Quick! They'll sit back-to-back on my ECES longboard, scoot one way with one pushing (with feet, backpedalling), then footbrake, then the other will push the other direction! I've heard Justin say loudly, when getting close to the couch or corral-fence, "Crash!", and then giggle about it. So, scootin' across the livingroom floor, these kids might well smoke ya! BTW, big thanks to Nick for lending my wife his DH board at Dr. Dan's last year! That was my kid's first ride, and, yup, they're all about it now.

For now, I'll plan just myself attending. Schwip may yet come on down, but was non-commital when I last talked to him (at his graduation, so, the lad had other stuff on his mind..). BTW, he made Honors, and was 'SMS Snowboarder of the Year', and will at UVM next year. I gave him a Comet longboard for city commuting, so, Rick, it's up to you to show him the best stuff Burlington has to offer for cruising!

Tony Peters

Post by Tony Peters » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:16 pm

Rick Floyd wrote:
Tony Peters wrote:My wife discovered there is a Trader Joes down the street from Needham Highschool so she's gonna come up and study at the library while I attempt not to look foolish :D
Trader Joe's has a library...cool.
Library is across the street from Needham Highschool....plus she has somethig else she wants to do up in the Boston area
Eric Brammer wrote:Rick, Trader Joe's is the only way I'll get my wife to come down. I'll mention it to her right after I use up the 'Volcanic' coffee, and the various Trader Joe snacks that're in the cupboard. :-)
My wife grew up in Sandy Ego where there are Trader Joes in every community...right now she is in serious withdrawals...I forgot about Volcanic Coffee
turns are fun....

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:37 pm

Big thanks to Maria and Richy at Sk8kings.com for stepping up to sponsor the Needham Open 3.0.

Sk8kings rules!! :)
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Re: Bringing the family?

Post by Rick Floyd » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:11 pm

Eric Brammer wrote:That was my kid's first ride, and, yup, they're all about it now.
YOUR kids are into skateboarding??? Go figure.
Eric Brammer wrote:Rick, it's up to you to show him the best stuff Burlington has to offer for cruising!
Finding some places slowly - done a lot of Google Earth followed by site visits. Have a decent HY/TS bike path with low traffic and and no footbraking - another one right next to it that is a bit steeper but requires hellish footbraking - and a GS run at a business park (entrance road) that has about 6.5 pavement, but I found out is due to be repaved within the next year.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:14 pm

Tony Peters wrote:My wife grew up in Sandy Ego where there are Trader Joes in every community...right now she is in serious withdrawals...I forgot about Volcanic Coffee
Ah yes, SD...my old stomping grounds (early 80's)...where you can meet people like....

....THIS: http://gawker.com/5010873/the-real-jeff-spicoli

Tony Peters

Post by Tony Peters » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:09 am

what time are the festivities kicking off? and which race is gonna be first tight or hybrid? do you need cones
turns are fun....

T Whalen

Post by T Whalen » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:07 pm

RE the Spicoli post: "Allright"
(pronunciation context - stated by Spicoli after he indicated he would cruise history and Mr. Hand informed Spicoli he would probably just squeak by)

See you all on Saturday!

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:25 pm

Ahem....duuuuudes...on a more serious note - what are the details for the race? Reg. time, race time, course(s), format? I realize we are pretty informal on this one, but I can't find any updated details anywhere...but it could be me...I'm feeling pretty stoopid lately. ;-)

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:41 pm

Duuuuuuuuudes I've been having too much fun skating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FKV1-QZglA

THE GOOD NEWS!!!! SATURDAY'S FORECAST IS FOR SUNNY AND 80!!!

Please plan on arriving around 10- 10:30 AM. We're going to get there and set up the ramp and the timer then let people practice and then we'll do registration and racing.

The courses will be first a hybrid to be set on the day of and then maybe a tight slalom if everyone is up for it.

Just remember my phone number 781 492 9312.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:13 pm

i should probably ride my board....i haven't ran cones in months
No vestido para mi

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:15 pm

Karl Floitgraf wrote:Duuuuuuuuudes I've been having too much fun skating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FKV1-QZglA
Where is that? Can we race there too? Train there Sunday if we get kicked out at the Fells?
Karl Floitgraf wrote:THE GOOD NEWS!!!! SATURDAY'S FORECAST IS FOR SUNNY AND 80!!!

Please plan on arriving around 10- 10:30 AM. We're going to get there and set up the ramp and the timer then let people practice and then we'll do registration and racing.

The courses will be first a hybrid to be set on the day of and then maybe a tight slalom if everyone is up for it.

Just remember my phone number 781 492 9312.
Thanks K - definitely up for TS...the new Gecko loves it!

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:27 pm

Wish I could be there - but I'll be knee deep in roller derby girls :)

Hit a cone for your fat buddy!
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Hope you guys have a good time!

Post by Claude Regnier » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:32 pm

We hope you guys have a great time! We can not make it unfortunately. Our schedule and such has forced us to stay closer to home as we head for Toronto on Sunday.

Hope the weather stay clear and all you guys hve a great time. We'll likely see some of you at the Farm.
Many Happy Pumps!

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:24 pm

1 Karl Floitgraf 11.680
2 Curt Debartolo 12.460
3 Bryan Werner 12.640
4 Glenn Chapman 13.250
5 Terry Whalen 13.500
6 Leo Ojeda 13.710
7 Rick Floyd 13.790
8 Mario Kula 13.880
9 Wenzl Ruml 14.110
10 Mike Grasso 14.180
11 Nick Chamberlain 14.220
12 Ben Volvovitz 14.350
13 Dan Parish 14.950
14 Glen Garbett 15.350
15 Brett Yorks 15.980
16 Adam Proctor 16.330
17 Tony Peters 16.860
18 Ken Murray 17.380
19 Kevin Stein 19.860

Thanks to everyone for coming!!! I am so stoked right now. Big thanks go to Adam at North East Cabana Flow for building that ramp, Glenn Chapman for setting up his timer and everyone who came and helped out. Thanks to Ocean Frog Skate Shop in Malden Mass and Sk8kings.com for donating Swag!!
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Tony Peters

Post by Tony Peters » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:34 pm

Glenn was also everyone's Toe Stop dealer in the parking lot...I had more fun yesterday than I have had in a number of years plus I got to make learn a lot by watching some fast people. definitely need another outlaw before the end of the summer...I'll be posting photos tomorrow after I set up my new computer.
turns are fun....

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Thank you Karl for putting up this race. it was nice to see you guys again.

i wish we could do this more often.

now question, did CMC lost/find any of his boards? :)
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:14 pm

Thanks, Needham High Longboard/Slalom Club for puting on the race. I had a great time talking and riding with all you guys. The HS course set by Karl was fun and flowing. The ramp start was exciting with the quick bottom transition; it made things interesting. The ramp scared me the first two times I dropped it but I loved it by the end of the day. Karl, CMC and Brian all looked good. There were a few new faces there were picking up the pace every run. WRummel has stepped up his game, way to charge it bro. Hope to skate with all of you guys soon.

Tony Peters

Post by Tony Peters » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:46 am

It took me a while but here is a Photo Album I'm sorry, at present I have no image editing software as I am waiting for photoshop to arrive in the mail so these are raw
turns are fun....

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:36 am

THANKS EVERYONE FOR COMING. The event was very successful and we've got some awesome press coverage in the local newspapers:

Home Town Weekly Article

Skateboard slalom a success Needham Times

If anyone wants to go skate I'm always down, just let me know.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:22 pm

Karl, Brian, Adam and all the NHS riders - thanks again for a great race down there. I see I got a photo in the "Wicked Local" article...cool.

Great to hang out with you guys afterwards and especially to skate the big hill we went to. nice to meet your parentz too...your Dad is a really cool guy, and he is a big asset when it comes to running race timing software.

I wish I had a crew to train with up here - instead of just a bunch of longboard stoners. It gets boring training alone all the time. You're lucky to have The Weez to ride with!

Glenn - thanx for the course sets and toe stops.

WR - getting faster all the time...can't wait to hear the Woodward report.

TP - nice photos.

Later,
-RF