Good things are happening in Baltimore

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

John Dillon

Good things are happening in Baltimore

Post by John Dillon » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:05 am

A couple of years ago Ken Delaney and I set up some cones on the closed I-83 that runs through the Jones Fallsway during the Jones Fallsway Festival. We had our own personal cop keeping the exit ramp onto the highway closed off to traffic.....thousands of people walked,biked, pushed strollers,inlined and skateboarded the length of this elevated highway from Poly High School in northern Baltimore City all the way to Little Italy, near the harbour. I guess there were about 100 inliners and skateboarders all together....the skaters were riding in small packs or by themselves. Well, we encouraged everyone to run through the cones and about a couple hundred took us up on the challenge. Several folks even used our boards to do so. Well, the group that puts this event on has contacted Ken and myself to put on a race on Sunday, Sept 16th, 2007...during this year's Festival.....yes, the day after Lenny's Ky Race, which I have already signed up for so I may have to drop out if this thing gets momentum. We will have a section of elevated highway for perhaps a couple hours, requiring swift course set up, an opportunity to race on perfect pavement, perhaps an opportunity for companies to hang banners, an opportunity to race on a normally busy highway that will be closed to all vehicular traffic for this Festival. We are also looking to hold a banked slalom race at Lansdowne the day before so out of towners can participate in 2 races. We propose to make this a fundrasing race for SkateparkofBaltimore. I know I can count on some of my slalom brothers and sisters to help pull this off. Who is interested is helping out and/or supporting us by participating in this race. It WILL be the coolest race venue you've ever attended. (Sorry, Lenny....we cannot change the date...they contacted us about doing this during their Jones Falls Festival) That's OK, people will be slaloming all over this land!!!!! Roll call, please!

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:10 pm

Dude, if I didn't have to teach in Ohio that Monday (live in WV, put on a race in KY, and work in Ohio, sounds odd, doesn't it?) and/or be completely exhausted from putting on a race the day before, I'd try my best to be there as well. Sounds like an awesome time! Go for it, bro!
HOSS

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:06 pm

John,

You know I am in. I was also planning on doing the KY race. But a race closer to home that weekend would be easier to navigate.

Keep us in the loop.

BP

Mike Ohm

md

Post by Mike Ohm » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:15 pm

I'm in!
Damn Skippy

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:45 pm

I'll be there!

Also, I thought you Baltimore guys were looking for (other) spots to have a race. Any luck?
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Bob Frias
BoBo
BoBo

Post by Bob Frias » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:57 pm

Totally in this.....

Bob
My amp is warmed up and I'm ready to shred!!!

Earl Cephas

Post by Earl Cephas » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:46 am

In.

KEN DELANEY

Hey Dan, Here's a Hill for You . . .

Post by KEN DELANEY » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:37 pm

Been trying to get Dillon out to this one for a while, really nice pavement and I'm guessing around 30 MPH bombing straight down, no traffic after 5 PM or all day Sunday, sure can't get any practice on the Jones Falls Expressway!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/253/4598 ... 1b1e0b.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/229/4598 ... af93c2.jpg

[ hope this works ]

Mike Ohm

balmer

Post by Mike Ohm » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:54 pm

Ken, where is this hill? I can assure you a few Virginians will meet you there.
Damn Skippy

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:02 am

I'll be there...thank god I am going to college only in Winchester so I'll be able to make this.

KEN DELANEY

hill sweet hill

Post by KEN DELANEY » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:21 pm

Days Cove Road just northeast of White Marsh off of Route 40. It is adjacent to a Baltimore County Landfill, but I went there many times a bit before dusk on the hottest days last summer and it was never close to being offensive. The hill scales out to about a half mile long on Goggle Earth and Sundays and holidays are virtually traffic-free. C'mon up!

Earl Cephas

Post by Earl Cephas » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:17 am

Pick a date - don't let Mike pick one, it'll snow ;-)

Cabbage

re

Post by Cabbage » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:41 pm

sounds good I'm in...

John Dillon

This September Baltimore Race is cancelled.....

Post by John Dillon » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:45 am

just found out that the shitty of baltimore is being lame about allowing the festival to happen this year so the festival is off and, thus, the slalom race has been cancelled.....maybe we'll try for next year? Both Ken delaney and I are disappointed about this as we've put a lot of time and thought about what we wanted to do.......now, you may all attend Lenny's race down south!