Soapbox derby track near Boston

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Jim Siener
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S.

Soapbox derby track near Boston

Post by Jim Siener » Mon May 29, 2006 7:58 pm

They just repaved a soap box derby track at the Middlesex Fells in Stoneham MA for an upcoming race. Should be a perfect venue for slalom. Its not a road that cars travel but its own track near a big field. Its called the Sheepfold and is a popular place for people to bring their dogs to run.

www.bunkerhillderby.org

Brian Peck
Pizzle
Pizzle

Post by Brian Peck » Mon May 29, 2006 11:10 pm

Nice. Got any photo's? I couldn't find any on the site you linked.

T Whalen

Post by T Whalen » Tue May 30, 2006 2:49 am

Jim,

That sounds like a killer venue! I didn't know there were any stand alone derby courses in New England.

Terry

Jim Siener
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S.

Post by Jim Siener » Tue May 30, 2006 5:50 pm

Here is an article about the location. I saw the track a year ago and it was unskateable, the track had been neglected for 20 years. According to the article they are only fixing the holes so it may still not be any good for slalom. If they decide to totally repave it then it would be perfect. Apparently soapbox derby racing is making a comeback so it could happen.

http://www2.townonline.com/stoneham/art ... eid=500513

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:59 am

I went there on monday it has been repaved in the past year. Come check it out this Saturday, we'll be skating dual hybrid.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Jim Siener
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S.

Post by Jim Siener » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:50 pm

Karl, what time are you skating? I might be able to come by.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:27 pm

We want to start skating around 10:30. Bring brooms, it needs a good sweeping.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Nick Chamberlain

Post by Nick Chamberlain » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:57 am

Awesome practice yesterday guys. The hill is really fast and he pavement after the top section is really nice. we also had quite a nice turnout for this as well. Karl, Brian, Mike, Ben and Glenn C as well as some of Ben's friends, Derek, Adam, Andrew, Justus, and I (sorry if I forgot you or got your name wrong)

From the top, you can see the bad/good pavement

We have some HD video of a lot of the session

I pressed some buttons by accident and this happened

Adam beating Justus

Karl

Brian and Derek racing (I forgot who won)

Also Karl I want to see the video of me falling when you get done editing all of it.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:14 am

The video came out amazing on the HD camera I borrowed from my college:
http://www.slalomspot.com/video/2007/FellsSess.mov
18 megs Requires Quicktime

What a great session. Everyone is looking faast. Lots of new and old faces. Derek is a force on his PAVEL and the pistol man. The rockport boys are gaining speed. As you guys push the limits you are more likely to fall. You guys need to wear helmets. Hope your nursing that roadrash. I know how it feels.

Glenn Chapman came with Ben and three of his friends, new to slalom but they were charging the course before the day was over. Good to see Ben Chapman back on a skateboard.

Andrew Wolfe came down from New Hampshire with an old board with good karma that he bought on the spot after watching the Antrim race. NIIICE. Your getting the hang of it. Look forward to racing with you dude.

I contacted one of the guys who organizes the big Soap Box event every year. He's also the guy who got local construction companies to donate the expenses of the repavement. The hill is in a state park. He said that we could get permits for an event but it costs as much as $1000 park rangers and fees and stuff. The needham high longboard club doesn't have that kind of cash.

The Needham race plan is going on as planed; the school is a great spot for a wicked tech flow course. I'm currently working out a schedule with Tim Cayer of Berlin NH. We are stoked that there's another slalom race in New England the same weekend. Hopefully we can attract some of those Canadians EH! If any body needs a place to stay just lemme know.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Nick Chamberlain

Post by Nick Chamberlain » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:55 am

too bad about not having a race there this year, but we can still go there to practice. Today when I showed some people where the bandages are for the cut I told them I fell and had to have my appendix removed :)

also that video looks sick, I can imagine how good the hd version on your computer must look.

Brett Yorks

Post by Brett Yorks » Wed May 23, 2007 2:35 am

haha nice one