The Down-Here Slalom Retreat, March 25-26, 2006 Hobby Park

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

The Down-Here Slalom Retreat, March 25-26, 2006 Hobby Park

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:14 am

Get'cher dancin' shoes on:

See the Contest Calendar for all the good stuff:

http://www.ncdsa.com/contest_registrati ... testID=213

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Another proposed event at the Down-Here Retreat

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:55 pm

One thing is not on the itinerary, but here's something for everyone to get ready for:

Sometime on Sunday we'll have a PUMP HILL CLIMB/STICKER contest.

The rules are simple:

1. Push as hard as you can from as far back on the run out hill as you can. The Finish Line will be the "No Push Line."
2. Head into the main hill with as much speed and momentum as you can muster.
PUMP LIKE HELL!
3. Where you finally stop and put down your foot, you put down a sticker (Maybe from your favorite manufacturer.) (The stickers will be sacrificed and stripped off the hill after we're done.)

The high sticker wins!

Who wants to bet that anyone can top out Hobby Park and get past the start blocks? Or maybe up to the numbers?

What do you win? Probably the respect and admiration of your peers. No promise of more than that.

So, get your calves, thighs, abdomen and back ready for a good workout. Hey, it might be fun or it might be a bust. We'll just have to see.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Down Here Retreat Update

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:19 pm

Two things:

I just spoke with the Winston-Salem Park And Rec office. They have no problems with the event, the risk assessment is A-OK and the R/C airplane guys are disappointed because I already reserved the picnic shed.

Secondly, Erik Basil came on the Downhillbillie's site yesterday and asked for everything needed to make a feature on the front page of Silverfishlongboarding.com in March promoting the Down Here Retreat. Reaching that demographic might lead to LOTS of Southeastern longboarding slalom newbies coming to find out if they can get into racing.

Mark your calendars. It's a big GO!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:51 am

20 signed up to skate and 35 for BBQ. It's growing into something fun. Sign up now and beat the rush:

http://www.ncdsa.com/contest_registrati ... testID=213

Be there or Behave.

Tom Thompson

Hotels 'n such....

Post by Tom Thompson » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:23 am

Hey Tuckster - got any hotel info to pass along? Sorry if you've already done this somewhere else....

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Down Here Retreat Update: March 3 2006

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:33 am

Just got back for an overnight in Winston Salem, North Carolina. I headed out yesterday with four things on my agenda to complete the planning for the Down Here Retreat:

1. Secure the picnic shed from the P&R department
2. Get a good group rate for a motel
3. Line up some good BBQ for Saturday night
4. Find a good spot for a Friday night Outlaw Race under the lights

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Hobby Park is paid an ours for the weekend. I got a rate at Extended Stay America for $52 a night (no breakfast, but a complete suite room with a kitchen and FULL-SIZED 'FRIDGE!) Also, I've got Little Richards BBQ to cater the BBQ. It's a Lexington-style place with the following on the menu:

Pulled pork
BBQ Chicken
Potato Salad
Cole slaw
Baked beans
Hush puppies
Iced tea.

And, finally, the piece d'resistance, Friday night's Down Here Outlaw Race will be on Center Park Blvd off of Ridgewood Road in south Winston Salem.

Looking down the hill

Looking up the hill

It's a spot under the lights as well-lit as the Gaithersburg P&R (when all the street lights are working.) The road is a dead end just for accessing a business park. The boulevard really is a boulvard: I would say it's three standard lanes wide plus a little more between the curbs. There is a PERFECT grade that is flawless with asphalt that's a 10 for setting a course at least 300 feet long. We can set a dual course and still have room for two lanes of traffic down one side of the road.

The width of the road will allow a dual course on one side and plenty of room for any traffic on the other.

Did I mention, though, it's a dead end street in a business park? Well, every business on the road is CLOSED after 6:00. There's no traffic, no one to bother and just a lit street to skate. For the locals (DEX, the DHBs, etc.,) the road is right in front of Krispy Kreme University, the doughnut maker's training center. Go check it out.

To be straight up, the bust factor is 50/50: we will or we won't. We might skate all night and never see another car or Deputy Do-Right might show up five minutes after we start and shut us down. No guarantees: this is REAL Outlaw racing. The surface and venue, though, demands that at least we take a shot.

The contest calendar registration is updated with all the new information for the Outlaw, the BBQ and how to get the group rate. Anyone within the sound of my typing who wants a chance to get things squared away before the oncoming racing season, be sure to get ot the Down Here Retreat at Hobby Park, March 24, 25 and 26.

It's probably and more than likely going to be fun!

(P.S. Tom, would you believe I was typing and formatting this as you were online asking your question? I'm not joking. Check the times when the posts were made! How's that fer curb service?)

David Hicks

Post by David Hicks » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:52 am

Wes, i cant register and DHB it keeps showing me the terms no matter how many times i press agree.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:26 am

David,

Are you saying you can't register on the Contest Calendar on NCDSA or the DHB website? I'm not sure what you mean by your post.

David Hicks

Post by David Hicks » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:04 am

oh that should be "at" DHB i wanted to ask if i could crash with one of them but i couldnt register to the DHB forum

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:06 pm

David,

All I can say is try contacting Marion at:

karr@downhillbillies.org.

The only other thing I could suggest is try accessing the website with a different browser. If you're using netscape, try Explorer, if you'r using Explorer, try Netscape or Mozilla or whatever. Sometimes different browsers will behave differently with a pHp website.

Either way, posting here on SS.com will spread the word. Many of the DHBs come here and read what's going on.

Tom Thompson

Post by Tom Thompson » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:15 pm

Good 'ol Hobby Hill. I've got unfinished business with that bitch....

Nice looking outlaw spot Wesley. Tight slalom I presume?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:37 pm

Tom Thompson wrote:Tight slalom I presume?
Moderately tight. Something that will be fast on this hill but not a killer Gilmourian obstacle course. Remember that tight course I set on the run out hill at Hobby last summer? Maybe something like that but just a tad looser.

Ron Olsen

Unfinished Business

Post by Ron Olsen » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:07 pm

Tom Thompson wrote:Good 'ol Hobby Hill. I've got unfinished business with that bitch....

Nice looking outlaw spot Wesley. Tight slalom I presume?
"unfinished business with that bitch...."

Me too Tom, Me too. Now that my blurred vision is completely healed...She owes me $75 for a perfectly good helmet! I'm throwing down the dollars right now, Hobby's going to see an entirely new GS rig under me. And a new helmet and body armor!

And Wes' TS is going to see some Radikal/AXE action. Look out! Can't wait...

Ron

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Cash no mo

Post by Marty Schaub » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:22 am

What Ron is saying is he HAD some liquid cash.
La Costa Boy For Life

Ron Olsen

Re: Cash no mo

Post by Ron Olsen » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:19 am

Marty Schaub wrote:What Ron is saying is he HAD some liquid cash.
and PUHHLEASE don't tell my wife!!

Ron

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:07 pm

The Down-Here Retreat is on the front page of Silverfishlongboarding.com this morning.

David Morris

Hey Wes

Post by David Morris » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:43 am

Hey Wesley, by the looks in the one picture I see Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Are we going to have Krisy Kreme doughnuts at the outlaw race? Sounds like a good idea.

I will be there after being away for more than a year. Aaron will be there too. I guess we will stay at the hotel that you mentioned.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Re: Hey Wes

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:37 pm

David Morris wrote: Are we going to have Krisy Kreme doughnuts at the outlaw race?
Mr. Morris,

I'd consider serving doughnuts, but you know how it is: bringing out a box of glazed jelly-filled will always attract the local constabulary!

Mr Surly
Mr. Surly
Mr. Surly

Re: Hey Wes

Post by Mr Surly » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:35 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote:
David Morris wrote: Are we going to have Krisy Kreme doughnuts at the outlaw race?
Mr. Morris,

I'd consider serving doughnuts, but you know how it is: bringing out a box of glazed jelly-filled will always attract the local constabulary!
LMAO! ! ! ! bravo wes!
.:PTBDHB:.

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:43 pm

Rumor Squelched: My injury will not impede me from trying to BRING IT at the Retreat.
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Sk8sville, North Carolina

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

<br>LUCKY 13 TATTOO STUDIO<br>
www.luckythirteentattoo.com<br>
Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour!?!?!?

Post by Marty Schaub » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:23 am

Marion,

Remember that "Pain is just weakness leaving the body." So you should be a strong mutha by Sunday.
La Costa Boy For Life

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Down Here Retreat Long Range Forecast

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:34 am

OK. It's time to get serious about the weather. Here's the 10-day forecast for Winston Salem. I'm stoked! I know it could change at any minute but it's going to have to really deteriorate big time to have an affect on the Down Here Retreat

Fri
Mar 24
Partly Cloudy
High/Low 62°/43°
Chance of Prec: 10%

Sat
Mar 25
Partly Cloudy
High/Low 65°/42°
Chance of Prec: 10%

Anyone who's considering attending but has yet to sign up, please do so. It's getting close.

trish erickson

not in the plans

Post by trish erickson » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:22 pm

I sooo wish I could be there. I started a new job and I won't be able to get the time off. Hope the weather hold for you guys. It sounds like a great time.

Ride on,

Utah Trish
ts

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:59 pm

For anyone who's interested, I've decided on the course for the Friday night outlaw. Go here and download the PDF file to see it:

http://members.aol.com/wtucker567/DHOutlawCourse.pdf

Open it with Acrobat (or Acrobat Reader) and print it out on 8.5x11 paper. The course is layed out in three columns. Read it top to bottom, left to right and follow the spacing. For offset, the light green marker lines designate the width of ONE cone. Just step the cone laterally to make a matching offset. It's not too difficult once you get the hang of it.

I've been advocating for a long time that under certain circumstances there's no reason why a racer has to show up on race day to find out what the course is like. So it's important for me to practice what I preach. Centre Park Blvd provides an excellent opportunity for me to set a course that will match the diagram to within 5% of what's on the paper. It's not too terribly difficult so the newbies shouldn't be intimidated and it's really rhythmic so those with more experience should be able to generate a good amount of speed.

Two things to note is the SPACING is 6 or 8 feet, not the distance from the center to center of the cones. So the actual spacing has to be 6' 5" to match the diagram. Also, for anyone who's wondering, this is NOT a new course. It's the same course I set for the now-infamous Bus Depot race at Folly Beach in 2002. This course was never intended to run on a flat surface like we did that night and I've always wanted to run it as I envisioned it: on a good surface and a moderate grade.

Print it out, lay it down and practice. No suprises on Friday!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Final Update For The Down-Here Retreat

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:13 pm

A quick update:

I had hoped Dan at Trak Mate would deliver, but he let me down. I have all the components for a timing system except the black box. Oh, well.

Marion has been kind enough to insure that his Trak Mate system will be at the Outlaw Friday and all through the weekend. The bad news is that I had hoped to have TWO Trak Mates, one on each end of Hobby Park. This isn't going to happen.

Ga. Tom, though, also said he'd bring his Equine Timer that we used at the Outlaw in Georgia back in January. So what I'm hoping to do is for any dual courses we set (such as on the runout hill with the start ramps,) we'll use the Trak Mate as it will do duals. For single lane races on the Big Hill we'll make use of Tom's single-lane system.

It's not that big of a deal other than it's just not the way I had wanted it to be. Sometimes, however, a good compromise is better than nothing at all!

Thanks in advance to Ga. Tom, Marion and all the DHBs for making the start ramps available. Knowing this stuff is taken care of makes my life a lot easier.

I'm outta here this afternoon for Winston Salem. My plan is to get over to Centre Park Blvd around 8:00 and spend an hour or two setting the course for the outlaw and getting it chalked in. The forecast is for some rain Friday morning, so I may have to go with the China Markers to make sure nothing gets washed away. I'll be online in the motel and checking the sign up. Please pass the word that FRIDAY NOON is the cut off for the BBQ count. I'm going over Friday afternoon and get everything settled with Little Richard's and need to know the final count by then. Right now, it looks like a good crowd of around 55 people.

Oh, final weather forecast: clear and COOL all weekend. Highs will be in the mid '50s with some partly cloudy skies on Saturday. It'll be brisk at night with lows near 38, so come prepared for the Outlaw.

See ya' tomorrow!

WT

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:32 pm

Tucker is on the Road To North Carolina...If you need to reach him call him on his mobile phone: 843 469 1406.

See you at the Retreat.
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Mike Ohm

NC

Post by Mike Ohm » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

DHB's,

Unfortunately I will not be able to make it to NC this weekend. My body seems to be falling apart. First my ankle next something is going on in my shoulder and arm that is causing extreme pain. Possible disc or nerve issue. My MRI will be read on friday. I will keep you all posted. Have a great time!!!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:01 am

The Outlaw course is set.

And it is a SCREAMER!!!

Y'all really need to get your dancin' shoes on because there is gonna be some two-steppin' come Friday night.

I really underestimated the quality of the asphalt for this race. It is not an exaggeration to say it's a 9.99 out of 10. I'll only discount it by .01 because nothing is perfect. if you got 88s or 90s, bring 'em. Traction IS NOT an issue. The winner will be whoever can wiggle the fastest and get the most pump out of the course. The grade is a bit steeper than I orginally thought and that makes it even more fun!

Don't anyone be intimidated or put off by what I just said. It's also a course that a newbie can feel good about making and won't feel like Evel Knievel doing it. The 45-foot push start will allow anyone to pretty much moderate their speed going in and keeping it mild enough to not blow out. It's really that flexible of a course.

I'll make this guarantee: after riding the Friday Night Outlaw course at the Down Here Retreat, newbies will know what it feels like to slalom. Veterans will know what it feel like to hang it out over the edge with no fear of going over.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Friday Night Outlaw POSTPONED!

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:44 am

Well, it rained. What else is new?

BUT, the Down Here Retreat Friday Night Outlaw is now rescheduled as the Saturday Night Outlaw. Hell, why not keep skating tomorrow?

The plan is to session at Hobby Park tomorrow and then after the BBQ head over to the Outlaw Hill about 8 miles away. We'll skate til we're done.

Several folks came out in the light sprinkle to check out the hill and everyone was happy with the spot. Most everyone commented on the fact that it's a bit steeper than anticipated and the asphalt is as good as it gets.

We've seen a good crew arrive from Virginia, Georgia, the locals and Mike Duquette and his mom from Connecticut. Mike Burns is also in town from New York by way of Virginia Beach. It was good this afternoon to see Dave and Aaron Morris on skateboards again. Although he's gotten a bit rotund around the middle, Aaron still looks to have the moves to go fast. We'll find out tomorrow.

So, nothing tonight, too much tomorrow. Life is good.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:15 pm

It is now 7:16 AM. There is not a cloud in the North Carolina sky and the sun is blinding. The asphalt in the motel parking lot is about dry, so Hobby Park should be good no later than 10:00.

It is cold, though, with the temp down around 38, but it will start warming quickly this morning. The high today is expected to be in the mid '50s: perfect all-day skating weather. Things got off to a rocky start last night with the drizzle drowning the Outlaw Race, but I'm sure we'll more than make up for it today.

I'm outta here. I got a hill to leaf blow and cones to get out!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Saturday Night's Down Here Friday Night Outlaw Race Results

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:24 pm

It's 6:03 in the morning and I'm in the motel (of course.) Went sound asleep last night about 11:30 after finishing up the Ga. Tom Memorial Friday Night Down Here Retreat Saturday Night Outlaw Race. One of the really fast guys in the Southeast is Tom Thompson and unfortunately he couldn't stick around another day and had to head home. So I figgered I'd give the boy some props and name the race after him.

Friday night a few of the participants showed up just before the rain came down to check out the course. I heard everything from "this is unmakeable," to "should we think about maybe stretching it out some and make it a little looser?" Well, I was sort of joking, but I kept saying, "if I can make it, anyone else can too!" I stuck to my guns and last night we ran the course I layed down.

The course specs are kind of simple: 6-foot spacing with very moderate offsets (one to two cone widths off the centerline) with three sections of eight foot spacing and three cone width offsets. 47 cones and 15-foot push start between tape strips at 334 feet.

Simple.

I did make a couple of compromises, though, and this makes for some interesting race analysis. I decided to tone down the course just a little by bringing the push start down from 45 feet to 15 feet. Also, because the turnout was a little light (10 skaters actually posted a time,) we went the easy way and decided on a single-lane jam instead of dual eliminations.

Well, most everyone started with their boards just a couple of feet behind the tape switch at 15 feet. The initial adjust times were around 16-19 seconds. By the fifth run, though, many of the racers had backed up to my original starting line, were pushing much harder and the fastest time of the night was Aaron Morris with an adjusted 13.715. That was down from an early clean run of 16.318.

So, the course wasn't unmakeable, it was just "challenging!"

There will be a lot more later about the whole Retreat, but here are the result from the Ga. Tom Wasn't Here To Take A Run Memorial And Remeberance Friday Night Outlaw Race We Ran On Saturday Night:

Aaron Morris 13.715
Evan 15.006
WT 15.519
Karr 16.086
Dholt 17.697
Mike Duquette 18.707
Ron Olsen 19.035
BigE 21.826
Tom 22.662

Big thanks go out to Faye Duquette for her help last night. She's in the early running as "The Coolest Skater Mom Of 2006." Also to Mike Burns, Dave Morris, Marty Schaub and Hannah Karr who coneheaded and ran the timing table. It all went smoothly and we christened appropriately the newest hot spot in the Southeast for running a race.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:13 pm

Glad to see Aaron's name on that list. Looks like he's still got the skills, too. Good job, Aaron!

Tom Thompson

Post by Tom Thompson » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:16 am

haha, that's funny Wesley. Yesterday was a blast. Mr. Tucker went all out for this one, including catered bbq and fixins for all yesterday evening, and a DHB raffle with lots of swag for all. I'm guessing there was around 30 skaters on the hill yesterday. Well done Wesley!

We ran 3 different courses on Hobby yesterday beginning with a tightish hybrid(some called it just tight), then a loose hybrid, and another screaming GS on the big hill. Marty and I set a killer GS with the start beginning on the left side of the starting blocks (outside of the rails) making it a little longer, faster, and more challenging than the Dixie Cup GS. 2 cone dq, 1 cone set ya back three tenths of a second. Marty was dominant on his Fatboy 6 wheeler beating the rest of us by .6 or .7 second. Marion and I both hung it ALL out there but just couldn't catch the dude. Aaron Morris was back for his first big event/sesh since breaking his ankle and was looking smooth and lightning fast. It won't be long till he's back in top form. The DHB's Evan St. Clair looks very much improved and was killing it. It was great seeing everyone. Just a fun and vibe-free day of skating. Can't wait to hear about today's festivities!

Count me in as a six-wheeler advocate. Don't knock it till ya try it.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:57 am

Well, I'm feeling a little depressed right now. After so many months of planning and preparation, the Down Here Slalom Retreat is grayed-out on the NCDSA contest calendar. It really does feel like Christmas night after opening all the presents.

Before I say anything I really need to take the time to thank everyone who helped make this possible and who came out to ride slalom and try slalom for the first time. All the DHBs turned to and made the event happen with support and filling in a lot of holes. I promised start ramps at the Retreat and had everything lined up to get a trailer and bring mine. Unfortunately at the last minute, an affordable deal on a utility trailer fell through. So I called Marion Karr at work and asked if he could please insure the DHB's ramps were there. He told me they had already discussed it and the trailer loaded with ramps was there first thing Saturday morning for the whole weekend.

Also, the Downhillbillies made sure plenty of food was available Sunday and anyone who was hungry at the Park probably just didn't like hot dogs and good homemade cake. They also organized a raffle Saturday during dinner that had a lot of people with smiles on their faces with lots of cool prizes.

All weekend long there was just a really sweet vibe that permeated the air. It was definetely a little colder than everyone would have liked, but all the skaters still charged with every run down the hill. There was endless talk of truck and decks and bushings and six wheelers and and risers and bushings and bearings and bushings and the gab about bushings went on forever. Skaters were really intense on asking what they were doing right and what they were doing wrong. What's the best way to find a clean line? How do you get those big offset? When's a good time to criddle? There were lots of questions about the advisability, strengths and weaknesses of the really epensive exotic truck, decks and wheels used in slalom. Watching longboaders go from cone carnage to clean runs in two day was just an incredible thing. Watching guys who had been running cones for a year or less really step it up was inspring and watching kids take their first drop off a start ramp is what it's all about.

The Retreat was all about learning and getting dialed in. I'd have to hear a really good argument it wasn't a success. What was also so great was all these skaters and family together for two days and no hint of ego, arguments, tempers, prima donnas, anger, frustration or contrary troglodytes just trying to be a pain in the neck. Skaters who were slow wanted advice on how to get faster. Skaters who were killing cones wanted advice on how to get cleaner. Skaters who were faster wanted advice on how to beat Aaron Morris.

It was just too cool for words.

If you weren't there you may never completely understand how great it was for two days, but you'll just have to take the word of everybody who was there. We found some guys who could go REALLY fast if they got serious about slalom. Adam Colton impressed everyone with his strength and pump through the hybrid courses. His cohort Adam Stokowski was just a hair behind Colton through all the cones. Mike Duquette from Connecticut ran on every course and was posting better than respectable times. When he gets his wiggle dialed in on sub 7-foot spacing and tighter, he'll be a force. DHB Evan St. Clair has propelled himself into a solid "B" bracket racer in less than year. This season might see him slugging it out for a spot in the "A's."

The usual suspects were fast as usual. Marty Schaub dominated the ad hoc GS racing with his 6-wheel Fatboy and Tom Thompson was not far behind. Ron Olsen's last trip to Hobby Park saw him take a nasty head clunk and he's still getting back into the thick of skating, but he was charging the hill just like the last time I saw him in the fall of '05. Karr was hampered a little with a foot injury, but on Saturday he climbed the hill many times to keep reducing his time. He posted the fastest time on the GS with a 4-wheeler.

There were all kinds of courses. I set some courses, the DHBs set some courses, the Jaw Ja Boys set some courses. Whoever wanted to grab a stack of cones and start pacing it off was welcome. And we had a lot of people do just that. And all the courses were ridden and all were fun. There's no "gift" or "technique" to course setting: just let common sense take over and follow the flow of the hill. It'll be fun to ride.

Anyway, there will be more later but right now I'm in the motel room for the last night waiting for the SOPRANOS, so I decided to do some typing. Finally, let me thank Darren "D-Holt" Holt, his lovely wife and all the DHBs for pitching in and cleaning up after the BBQ Saturday. I had to cruise quickly to get to the Outlaw spot to get things set up and Darren said don't worry about a thing, we gotcha' covered. Also, thanks to my traning hombre' Tom "The King Of Georgia" Thompson, Mike Burns and Marion Karr for their donations. It wasn't expected and truly appreciated.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Down Here Race Resul

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:38 am

At the Outlaw race Marty Schaub and many of the Down Here Retreat attendees presented some schmoe with a little honorarium for getting everything put together:

Thanks to Marty and Ron Olsen for going all the way to the 'hood and back to fetch some really spectacular squeezins.

Also, thanks again to Marty for handling the timing duties at the Outlaw. Hannah Karr is also getting the hang of running a timing table after running the GS race time trials on Saturday. She never missed a start and ran a smooth race all day.

Like I said on the sign up, the Retreat was all about sessioning, dialing in and getting ready to race in 2006. As we all know, though, you can't get two slalom skaters together with a stack of cones without some racing. We had racing all weekend that was as intense as anything we'd find on the circuit on a hot Saturday afternoon in July!

First up was the Saturday GS race on the "big hill." The coure was similar to the Dixie Cup GS course, but was stretched up high above the starting blocks. The first cone was right at the end of the by-pass tarmac off to the side of the course. It made for some fast stuff all day.

GS Results Hobby Park Down Here Retreat

Marty Schaub 17.30 (six wheeler)
Tom Thompson 18.1 (four wheeler)/ 17.45 (six wheeler) Tom was second overall.
Marion Karr 17.90 (next to last run of the day)
Aaron Morris 18.00
Mike Duquette 18.6
Adam Colton 19.7

The Saturday Night Friday Night Outlaw results were published earlier, but we'll repeat it here to keep everything together in one post:

Aaron Morris 13.715
Evan 15.006
WT 15.519
Karr 16.086
Dholt 17.697
Mike Duquette 18.707
Ron Olsen 19.035
BigE 21.826
Tom 22.662

Sunday saw the Saturday dual hybrid course extended with a tighter stinger at the end and stretched 440 feet from the ramps to the finish line. The Ladder-Bracket format worked well and saw everyone who participated get lots of runs down the course. First, though, was qualifiers to set the intial brackets:

Sunday Ladder Bracket Racing Tight/Hybrid Race
Qualifying:
Mike Duquette 19.510
Evan St. Clair 20.445 clean
Aaron Morris 21.150
Doc Tommy 22.466
Darren Holt 23.047
Dave Morris 23.233
Rookie Rudisill 23.352
Shannon St. Claire 23.489
Jayson Dexter (DEX) 23.858
Jay Mishoe 23.924
Mike Burns 24.989

A racer stayed in the top bracket until losing a round and the merry go round was off with repeated rounds. The racing got faster with each new round of matchups. The final fast times determined the finishing order:

Rider Fastest Time Ladder Bracket Wins
Aaron Morris 18.978 Clean 4
Evan St. Clair 19.448 3
Mike Duquette 19.503 3
Shannon St. Clair (SST) 20.507 3
Darren Holt (Dholt) 21.181 3
Doc Tommy 21.985 Clean 2
Jay Mishoe (Jaybird) 21.998 2
Rookie Rudisill 22.735 2
Mike Burns 22.801
Dave Morris 23.349
Jayson Dexter 24.278

Finally, after the brackets, there were some "call outs" where folks had a score to settle. We saw some more matchups that led to even faster racing:

Evan St Claire(19.360) vs. Aaron Morris (19.485)
WINNER>Evan S.t Claire (His fastest run of the day)

Shannon St. Clair (20.827) vs. Darren Holt (21.458)
WINNER>SST

Rookie Rudisill(21.711) vs. Jay Mishoe (22.358)
WINNER>Rookie Rudisill (His fastest run of the day)

Aaron Morris(18.429) vs. Mike Duquette (DQ)
WINNER> Aaron Morris (His fastest run of the day…motivated after losing to Evan and Mike giving him comp in the Ladder Bracket racing)

Shannon St. Claire(19.817) vs. Evan St. Claire(19.626)
WINNER>Evan St. Claire (SST layed down his fastest time of the day cutting his time by .69 seconds from his best time in the Ladder Bracket Racing.)

Also, a real reflection of what the Retreat was all about was Cody Wilson's performance all weekend. He's 13 years old and just started slaloming (honestly, I don't know if he ran cones before Saturday.) He's core DHB member DHolt's nephew and Cody never let up all weekend. Saturday he was getting squared with the start ramps and took a hard slam, but got up and kept on going. In Sunday's ladder bracket race, Cody got faster and cleaner all day. After his first run was a DQ, Cody kept at it and got a time of 38.757 seconds with many cones at .1 second penalty. He kept his cool, kept coming off the ramp and on his last run posted a 32.834 CLEAN RUN.

That, folks, is what it's all about.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:02 pm

It took a little while, but here's a few pics from the 2006 Down Here Retreat. Quite honestly, I was so busy on Saturday that I failed to get out my camera and shoot anything. Sunday was a bit more mild so I had the time look through the lens a few times. I delated a while putting these up because I had expected others to forward some pics of Saturday, but they'll be along eventually. In the meantimes, here's some of what went down at the Retreat.

I still believe the best part of the retreat was unlimited access for all participants to practice their ramp starts. The DHB ramps are great and were ridden all weekend.

Early in the day on Sunday Marty Schaub set a really good Hybrid Course from about 2/3rds up the main hill. I say it was "good" because newbies were hitting it well and veterans were screaming through it.

It's hard to believe Aaron Morris took a year off after an ankle injury. He is still one of the fastest guys on the East Coast.

Cody Wilson took the honors as "most improved on the weekend." He was from cone carnage and taking a bad spill on the ramps Saturday to running clean courses Sunday afternoon.

I don't think anyone went hungry all weekend. Between hitting Winston-Salem restaurants, the BBQ Saturday night and the DHBs having a fund-raising cookout on Sunday, there were vittles everywhere!

The weekend ended with a "ladder bracket" dual race that had everyone pushing it and yelling for more rounds. It was a fun course with a tight start to get some speed, opening up a little in the middle on the transition and then tightening up again at the bottom. it was fun coneheading at the bottom and watching skater really get into the stinger and start pumping as furiously as possible to catch the rabbit in the other lane.

It's pretty obvious to me that a LOT of skateboarders in the Southeast are starting to "get it." Not only are they running cones, they are getting a very competitive mentality and determination to get faster and most importantly to WIN!

2006 is going to be a lot of fun.

Tom Thompson

Cool

Post by Tom Thompson » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:32 pm

Thanks Wesley, I was beginning to wonder if we'd see ANY pics from the retreat.

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:03 pm

Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

Ninja Bearings