Counting Cones (Taking Inventory)

Cones and Placement

Moderator: Pat Chewning

Do You Think All Skateboarders Are Filthy, Stinking Lying Thieves Who Would Steal Your Cones As Easily As To Offer A "How Do You Do?"

Yes
29%
No
19%
Only Connecticut Skaters Behave That Way
52%

Total votes: 21

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Counting Cones (Taking Inventory)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:33 pm

If anybody cares,

I was out skating today and when I picked up a cone, I happened to look inside and it was clearly marked "Tway" with a black magic marker. Well, we know who that one belongs to. (Terrence Kirby marks all of his cones "Tway" in honor of his hero.)

Well, it got me to thinking, "do I have all 200 of my cones?" Going to races and jam sessions leads to things being picked up that belong to me and me picking up things that belong to others. Guess I should check.

So I gathered up all my cones and started counting and looking. Sure enough I ended up with 209 cones. More than enough. Two were marked "Tway," two were maked "DHB" and five are just plain "Turner" and "3DM." So I called Marion and found out those extras belong to Dave Gale. (Dave loaned cones to the DHBs last year.) Obviously at Da' Farm and the Dixie Cup and other sessions along the way I've got more than my allotment.

So, the moral is:

• Mark your cones.
• Count your cones
• Return any cones that aren't yours
• Raise hell online like a banshee caught in a bear trap if you come up short.

Oh, and I'll return the DHB's cones this weekend when I see some of them in Georgia . . . and I'll get Tway his two cones as soon as he comes back to Charleston.

Well, maybe sooner than that.

I know, this sounds trivial BUT these damned things are $2 a piece now. Not like I can afford to just throw 'em around like empty soup cans and just get more later.

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:49 pm

confessions of a thief

you will rot in hell for skating ski-stance and for stealing those cones.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:13 pm

"Tis' better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven!" . . .

. . . or as I like to put it, "It's a helluva lot better to win the "D" Class than go out in the first round in the "C" Class!"

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Post by Marty Schaub » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:27 am

"If failure becomes your expectation, then a failure is all you will ever be."

General George Patton

I would rather lose to Barker & Pirnack in the first round of an A group anyday than win a B. The desire to be better is fueled by failure, not defeated by it.

That's my take on racing.
La Costa Boy For Life

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:45 am

I hate people who drive Lexuses. Late August last year, I just picked up 50 shiny new cones from Dan in Boulder two weeks earlier. I went over two streets from where I live to the street I always skate on. The people who live adjacent to where I put the cones love it, one woman even offered to come out with a stop watch to time our runs, really positive. But this day I was just hanging out, enjoying the fleeting days of summer vacation, teaching some kids on their first days skating. I took a run and was walking up the street when I see this asshole come barrelling down the street in a Lexus SUV going 45(KIDS ARE PLAYING ON THIS STREET) He then procceeds to swurve directly into my course crushing several of my brand new cones!! I hate lexus drivers.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Re: Quote

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:16 pm

Marty Schaub wrote:"If failure becomes your expectation, then a failure is all you will ever be." - General George Patton
I'll keep that in mind if I develop a hankerin' to conquer the Rhineland.

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Shoot high

Post by Marty Schaub » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:21 pm

Keep it in mind if you ever get a hankerin to conquer C class.
La Costa Boy For Life

Tom Thompson

Post-race cone inventory

Post by Tom Thompson » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:40 pm

24 white Turner
17 red Turner
missing - 8 red, 1 white...all marked with a black "TT" near the bottom.

So, the moral is:

• Mark your cones.
• Count your cones
• Return any cones that aren't yours
• RAISE HELL ONLINE LIKE A BANSHEE CAUGHT IN A BEAR TRAP IF YOU COME UP SHORT.

Wesley - gimme my cones back.....bitch!......AAARRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Counting Cones

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:15 pm

Tom,

I have the following:

5 (FIVE) RED CONES clearly marked inside with the word "TWAY." I must have got those at Da' Farm. I'll ship them back to Tway as soon as I find a box that's weird enough to hold a stack of cones.

I also have:

8 (EIGHT) RED CONES that have no mark at all. I promise your initials "TT" ain't on 'em. But they are scuffed all to hell, so maybe some magic marker got erased?

3 (THREE) WHITE CONES that have no mark at all. Same assumption.

Marion told me that Dave Gale loaned the DHB's some cones last Spring. So if two of these whites and one of the reds are Dave's, that would mean the remainder are yours.

I swear, though, that I've gone through all 216 cones at my house and only the 5 red TWAY cones are marked.

(I've got no problem at all sending out three boxes regular mail. I'll get it done this week.)

Maybe you, Marion and Dave could have a three-way "Celebrity Death Match" and whoever comes out alive gets the cones? (We'll let Tway referee since he has no dog in this fight.)

Tom Thompson

Post by Tom Thompson » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:32 pm

No big Wes....I'll get 'em back the next time we hook up. If they have the Turner sticker and are visibly well used, good chance they're mine. Also, the color is starting to fade at the base on some of mine....thanks for checking. The thought of buying more cones right now gives me a sick feeling in the belly.....$2 ea....yikes!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:33 pm

I had a brilliant idea this morning. I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier.

If anyone gets a VAL PAK or one of a thousand other pieces of direct mail garbage, there's always a coupon to order some SELF ADDRESS LABELS for envelopes you mail. Just little stickers with your name and address.They usually cost like $3-$4.00 for 500 or some such thing. The automation to make these things has got it to the point that shipping costs more than the stickers.

So, I ordered some for my cones. Each cone labelled clearly with my name and where it belongs. It's probably as permanent as the TURNER or 3DM sticker and it won't rub off like magic marker or a Sharpie.

Besides, I needed a new roll of labels. My old one was down to about 15 out of the last 500 I order 10 years ago.

I know there are probably more than a few of you who are wondering, "what's the big deal? I never lose my cones." That's because you never bring yours to a race and always count on SOMEONE ELSE coming up with the scratch to make something happen.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:51 pm

All accounted for:

50 3DM White - Mine
50 Turner White - Mine
50 3DM Red - Mine
50 Turner Red - Mine

5 Turner Red - Bill Tway's

2 Turner White - Dave Gale/DHBs

1 Turner White - Ga. Tom's
8 Turner Red - Ga Tom's.

TOTAL - 216

I got it all figgered out!

Tom Mangelsdorf
Mangels
Mangels

Post by Tom Mangelsdorf » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:55 pm

Thanks for the idea about the return address labels. I've always been fortunate enough to return with all my cones (25 red 3DM, 26 white Seismic).

I considered drilling a small hole (1/8") near the base of each cone to mark it, but I never got around to it. I like your idea better.
Gravity is a terrible thing to waste.