All about safety gear

Moderator: Bill Walker

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Full Face Helmets

Post by Marty Schaub » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:55 pm

Hey,

I would like anyone that wears a full face helmet, like Iacovelli & Oles to pass along reccomandations on purchasing one. I watched two friends (Ron & Marion) take EPIC crashes yesterday at Hobby Park, 3/4 of the way down, FULL speed. Ron O's was the gnarliest as he high sided, pitched and snap rolled right onto the back of his helmet, CRRAACK.

Good thing is his helmet took the brunt and he walked away. My helmet in no way could have absorbed that impact, hence the request. The crush zone on the back of his helmet was about as big as a fist, but it did it's thing. So time to switch since I disdain feeding tubes.

PM me or post it here. Thanks in advance.
La Costa Boy For Life

Mike Ohm

fullface

Post by Mike Ohm » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:52 pm

Marty, I think most go with the GIRO full face helmet. Contact Judy Oyama for the best model.

I tried a GIRO full face but could not hear anything so I sold it. I bought a Bell Dave Mirra which is a single impact helmet but not full face.

I hope the boyz are OK.

Ron Olsen

Looks like a short wait for Giro

Post by Ron Olsen » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:12 pm

Marty,

I'm already checking into it, and it looks like the "Mad Max" I was wearing was discontinued. Not much available on the web right now - the site I purchased from before was

http://www.jensonusa.com

All they have is closeouts in Small size at $50. The replacement appears to be the Giro "Remedy", but they are not out yet, as no shops appear to have them. I'm not riding again until I get a new one.

Without getting all preachy, just wear your helmet, and get a good one! It certainly saved my life yesterday.

Ron

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:54 pm

WOW!!! Glad everyone is OK....!!

I wear a Bell "Bellistic" I think Paul Howard wears one also?? The Medium I have weighs in at
32 oz. so it's a bit heavier than some, but I like the snug fit and it has good peripheral vision.
I did trim some of the visor off as it was hard to see "under" .... All in all I'd get another
and they can be found at a rather thrifty price like here:http://www.blueskycycling.com/cat-helmet.htm This page has quite a few other
options also....

I measured my noggin to maybe help with a size reference....My mushy gourd is 23.75 inches around (hat size)....
I ordered a med. in the Bellistic and it was a tad tight at first but the comfort liner compressed enough after a few sessions to fit just right.....
I would consider this helmet to fit a narrower head shape, but it is roomy front to back.....

Anyone else out there thinking of slaloming without a helmet take note....It'll bite ya hard!

Play safe everyone, Tod

PS, When did Bara start his modeling career in workwear????

8) hehehe
Last edited by Tod Oles on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:10 pm

The Full face helmet is worth it... I have to have a tooth replaced because I took a bad chinner a few months ago. Next season I will be trying out a Giro Flint SC.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Tommy Harris

Post by Tommy Harris » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:08 am

After witnessing 3 nice wipeouts this weekend (Marty didnt you also hit your head?) I have decided to go the full face route. Im glad everyone survived, but Ron an Marion's wipeouts were friggin scary. I went into full on trauma mode for both! Im glad for your sakes that I did not have to actually be a doctor this weekend!
Wear a helmet, everytime you skate. Pads too, because if Marion wasnt wearing that leather with pads he WOULD have broken his shoulder.
Anyway it was fun having the Georgia boys here, thanks for coaching us newbies.
respect
DHB

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:49 am

Here is the Hobby Park Helmet Carnage (Ron's on the left and mine on the right):

Picture Compliments of DHB Member Mr. Surly

Tommy, dude, thanks for checking me and Ron out this weekend. Both crashes were pretty darn narly but I agree with Marty, Ron's was just totally scary. My shoulder hurts but as you said with out the shoulder protection I would be sporting a broken shoulder and or collar bone.

Marty, my black helmet is a Giro Flint and I like it a great deal. As you know though I was wearing my Specialized Downhill Mtn. Bike Helmet when I crashed. I am going to call Judi tomorrow and talk with her because I want to see what our options are. I am also going to look into replacing my downhill helmet even though I don't think any of the integrety of the helmet was damaged. I didn't hit my head...I just skidded on it.

Ron, I am glad you are ok! Talk to you dudes soon! Tommy, thanks again for being there. Love skating with you, man. No matter what we are skating you just plain go for it.
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Sk8sville, North Carolina

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

<br>LUCKY 13 TATTOO STUDIO<br>
www.luckythirteentattoo.com<br>
Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Alex Luxat

Post by Alex Luxat » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:00 am

also check out http://www.icaro2000.com very light hanggliding helmets with superb field of view and good hearing.
i have a skyrunner integral wich i use on GS, superG and downhill courses:

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:19 pm

Alex Luxat wrote:also check out http://www.icaro2000.com very light hanggliding helmets with superb field of view and good hearing.
i have a skyrunner integral wich i use on GS, superG and downhill courses:

Man, look at all the room for STICKERS! Yeah!
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Yeah!!!

Post by Marty Schaub » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:34 pm

Now that helmet just looks fast. Gotta check that website today!!!!!
La Costa Boy For Life

Robert Sydia
Robert Sydia
Robert Sydia

ICARO

Post by Robert Sydia » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:19 pm

Marty:

Be prepared to open your wallet - those puppies are NOT cheap.

You may also want to read info on these in the downhill section - they are NOT Snell or DOT approved - therfore they may not protect you in the way you want.

Just my 2 cents

Rob

Mr Surly
Mr. Surly
Mr. Surly

Bell / Giro

Post by Mr Surly » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:04 pm

Keep the helmet shape in mind if you buy online. Traditionally, Bell cycling helmets
are better suited for "round" heads, and the Giro fit the "oval" heads better. I, having
a "Charlie Brown" head, always opt for Bell helmets. Also, I have worn the mountain
bike helmets from Louie Garneau, and they fit like a Bell. I believe Garneau makes a full-face as well.

I'm in the market for one right now, but I will buy a Bell, I always do.

-Ron and Marion were very lucky on Saturday. I now know for certain that I need
to get a leather jacket for downhilling.
.:PTBDHB:.

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Thanks

Post by Marty Schaub » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:05 pm

I really want to thank everyone for the noggin advice.

Syd, the Icaro is cool but I don't know how much a Euro is compared to a dollar.

I found the Giro Mad Max II at blueskycycling.com for 69.98. I also found the lid Lemonboy suggested, the Bell Bellistic on one week special for 54.98. The Max weighs 1225g while the Bell is only 907g. I am leaning twoard the Bell.

Any detractors or bad Bell experiences?
La Costa Boy For Life

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Current Currency Conversion

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:14 pm

Marty,

Today the Euro is trading at .85 to the Dollar
The Dollar is trading at $1.18 to the Euro

If you use Master Card or Visa for an international order, the credit card company will do the conversion for you at current rates. I do not know if PayPal will do this or not

Mr Surly
Mr. Surly
Mr. Surly

Re: Thanks

Post by Mr Surly » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:34 pm

Marty Schaub wrote:I really want to thank everyone for the noggin advice.

Syd, the Icaro is cool but I don't know how much a Euro is compared to a dollar.

I found the Giro Mad Max II at blueskycycling.com for 69.98. I also found the lid Lemonboy suggested, the Bell Bellistic on one week special for 54.98. The Max weighs 1225g while the Bell is only 907g. I am leaning twoard the Bell.

Any detractors or bad Bell experiences?
Not from me. I'll give you 2 good ones though. I raced downhill [mountain bikes] at Fontana Dam in 1994, where i crashed in what was known as "the rock garden". My fork blew all to hell, bottomed out and I got pitched over the bars [endo] landing on my head and back in a field of "baby-head" sized rocks. Ouch. I was carried off the hill via a stretcher. I was on my back for 6 weeks, and needed [yet another] knee surgery after this crash. My helmet was destroyed in this one, meaning that it practically split in half. My local Bell rep gave me a new one, no charge, after seeing what was left of it.

2 years later, in Atlanta traffic, I was intentionally run off the road by an a##hole in a large
Lincoln...it was blue, that's all I know. I slammed the curb with my head, cracking the Bell helmet, but not my brain bucket. 33 Stitches in the leg, and 3 broken fingers...but no headache.

I had no damage, meaning concussions from either one of these wrecks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To paraphrase motorcycle daredevil Evel Knievel, if you have a $25 head, it’s OK to wear a $25 helmet.

Ron Olsen

Another one to look at:

Post by Ron Olsen » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:10 pm

Last I heard, Bell bought and owns the "Giro" helment company. Giro was providing a little too much competition.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/pro ... y_ID=4210#

Ron

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:31 pm

Carl Crieder wrote:
Not from me. I'll give you 2 good ones though. I raced downhill [mountain bikes] at Fontana Dam in 1994, where i crashed in what was known as "the rock garden". My fork blew all to hell, bottomed out and I got pitched over the bars [endo] landing on my head and back in a field of "baby-head" sized rocks. Ouch. I was carried off the hill via a stretcher. I was on my back for 6 weeks, and needed [yet another] knee surgery after this crash. My helmet was destroyed in this one, meaning that it practically split in half. My local Bell rep gave me a new one, no charge, after seeing what was left of it.

2 years later, in Atlanta traffic, I was intentionally run off the road by an a##hole in a large
Lincoln...it was blue, that's all I know. I slammed the curb with my head, cracking the Bell helmet, but not my brain bucket. 33 Stitches in the leg, and 3 broken fingers...but no headache.

I had no damage, meaning concussions from either one of these wrecks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To paraphrase motorcycle daredevil Evel Knievel, if you have a $25 head, it’s OK to wear a $25 helmet.
MR SURLY! Dude I knew I knew you from somewhere! Dude, The ROCK GARDEN is where I busted up the disk between c6 and c7 in my neck! I've got titanium plate in there!
1999! I landed on top of another rider and he launched me straight onto my head! I was wearing a Specialized like the one I had on Saturday and it shattered! I walked out though. Drove back to Statesville and attended my best friend's wedding that night on a river boat out on Lake Norman. Got up the next morning and road the Old Soldiers Reunion Road Ride in Newton, North Carolina (60 miles of pain). That night my hand and face went numb. Then my shoulder. Them my arm. Then my neck starting hurting extremely bad. The next thing you know I could not lift my chin off of my chest....it was bad....REAL BAD! Donna took me to the hospital in the middle of the night. Needless to say they had to do surgery and get what was left of the disk out.
In 1981 while riding my road bike on a training ride a lady driving a big ass White LTD hit me from behind and drove me into a telephone pole, fracturing my skull (thus the ear not working on the right side), fracturing c6 and c7 verts, seperating my shoulder, fracturing all my ribs on my right side, and cracking my hip. The moral to your story and mine> Bicycles are freakin DANGEROUS! I am sticking to my skateboards!

REMEMBER: Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body!
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Paul Pellerin

Full Face Helment

Post by Paul Pellerin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:24 pm

Ron,

After crashing myself and hearing about geezer-X's crash, I posted on the other site a few weeks ago about the new Giro Remedy. I inquired Judi O. about purchasing a new Giro "Remedy". You are correct the Remedy is replacing the Mad Max. However, the Remedy will not be available for a few months.

Skate Safe.

Mr Surly
Mr. Surly
Mr. Surly

Post by Mr Surly » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:51 pm

MR SURLY! Dude I knew I knew you from somewhere! Dude, The ROCK GARDEN is where I busted up the disk between c6 and c7 in my neck!

>>Wow, small world, eh? Yeah, Fontana spooked me away from the big stuff for quite awhile. I entered the race in 95' and then after 1 slow practice run, I went and became a spectator. It was muddy as hell, and there was now way I was going to risk that hill again. Now I have access [literally through my back yard] to the trails here in Chapel Hill. All I ride is single-speed, and a rigid one at that. Nice and slow.
Last edited by Mr Surly on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Surly
Mr. Surly
Mr. Surly

Re: Another one to look at:

Post by Mr Surly » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:53 pm

Ron Olsen wrote:Last I heard, Bell bought and owns the "Giro" helment company. Giro was providing a little too much competition.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/pro ... y_ID=4210#

Ron
yep. something like that. they still have the shape differences though.

Ron Olsen

Re: Full Face Helment

Post by Ron Olsen » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:12 pm

Paul Pellerin wrote:Ron,

After crashing myself and hearing about geezer-X's crash, I posted on the other site a few weeks ago about the new Giro Remedy. I inquired Judi O. about purchasing a new Giro "Remedy". You are correct the Remedy is replacing the Mad Max. However, the Remedy will not be available for a few months.

Skate Safe.
Thanks Paul.

I had also checked with my favorite online retailer, and they expect to have them for sale after the first of the year. I can wait, my brain needs a rest - a couple of months at least - but I'll get one before I ride again..

Ron

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Re: Full Face Helment

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 pm

Ron Olsen wrote:I can wait, my brain needs a rest - a couple of months at least - but I'll get one before I ride again..

Ron
Ummmm, Ron?

The King Of Georgia is having his Outlaw at Fred's January 15. That's 5-1/2 weeks.

Ron Olsen

Post by Ron Olsen » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:34 pm

WT,

Yep I know about Tom's race, I already sent him an email - but a head injury is nothing to mess with, and second impacts to those with concussions can be fatal. I've got to play it safe, and let my brain heal up. It's remarkable how well I am doing really, but I've had a dull headache for over 2 days now, that's not normal. And besides, Jan 14/15 is my parents 50th wedding anniversary!! You boys have some fun!!

Ron

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:52 pm

Concussion, shmocussion . . . Concussion, shmocussion . . . Concussion, shmocussion.

What was I gonna say?

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Thanks Ya'll

Post by Marty Schaub » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:26 pm

Thanks for all of the advice. I am now the owner of a Bell Bellistic from Blue Sky Cycling. I got the red one so I don't get mistaken for LemonBoy.

Besides RED IS SEXIER......
La Costa Boy For Life

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:24 pm

GeeZ! Marty in a Red Helmet! It's not like you can miss that giant on a board anyway!

Way to go, Marty. Glad mine and Ron's crashes motivated you to go full face bro!
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Rossa.....

Post by Tod Oles » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:14 am

Marty,

Is it Ferrari red or .......................Emergency vehicle red???

Also, it's kind of a bugger to smoke cigars in...... ain't it....... :-)

Mr Surly
Mr. Surly
Mr. Surly

Re: Rossa.....

Post by Mr Surly » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:52 pm

Tod Oles wrote:Marty,

Is it Ferrari red or .......................Emergency vehicle red???

Also, it's kind of a bugger to smoke cigars in...... ain't it....... :-)
nothing that a 1" diameter hole-saw cant remedy!

tamara jolie

Re: Full Face Helmets

Post by tamara jolie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:44 am

this sport makes us flexible & dynamic .Sometime it's dangerous .We are obliged to put helmet to protect face and teeth.