nope.....you're only too old if it's too loud

me too, skateboarding since 1975

me gusta Beyonce

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:26 pm

August 10, 1975.

One of my best friends (who still is, by the way,) got a ROLLER DERBY from Sears for his birthday on August 8. The next day there was a birthday party. On Sunday, the 10th, he taught me to ride it. The following week I got a Nash for my first board. By February, 1976, I had upgraded to my 27" Bahne and I was already spending most of my time carving and riding through slalom courses.

Been at it ever since.
Last edited by Wesley Tucker on Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel

Post by Carsten Pingel » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:29 pm

it seems that 2005 will be a worldwide 30-years-of-skateboarding party ?!?!?! :-)

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:28 pm

Put me down for 30 as well. Cut up rollerskate nailed to dresser drawer. 30 years and 175lbs.

Joe
Last edited by Joe Iacovelli on Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Longevity

Post by Andy Bittner » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:36 pm

Well, there aren't many areas in this sport where I am still anywhere close to being a leader, but longevity would be one of them. For me, the Spring of 2005 marks the 35th anniversary of my first slalom skateboarding runs. It helps to have a father whose first slalom skateboard runs were 38 years ago. I've skated AND run cones at some point in every year since, with the possible exception of '79-'81, when I was a senior or just coming out of high school, hated the whole punk rock/skateboarding thing, was determined to be a "real" rock star, and probably didn't skate much at all.

btw... could y'all please keep down the noise? I'm old now and need my quiet.

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

30? I'll have 40 please, thank you very much

Post by Steve Collins » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:25 pm

Happy Anniversary everybody, even if y'all are just a bunch of little kids.

I got my first steel-wheeled Roller Derby in 1964 or 1965. When I finally stepped up to a sweet laminated Hobie Super Surfer 1967ish (white composite wheels with gold printing) I knew I had arrived. I still think that was a great board. We ground through dozens of sets of those composites and had that loud rough slidy turning ride DOWN. We rode barefoot. It had to be as much like surfing as possible, at least in our imagination. When Cadillacs showed up in 1973, well, everyone knows about THAT - the clouds parted, the angels sang, the heavens shown down upon the earth & we could all sneak off to our skate & party spots faster, quieter and with fewer falls from running over little rocks.

That makes this year my 40th anniversary of skating (even if I didn't skate much from 1979 to 2001.)

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:27 pm

I also nailed my first rollerskate to a piece of plywood with purple shag carpeting in 1975!

Viva La Elderly!!
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:45 pm

19th.

I feel like an infant. No. Not an infant. Like a fetus. 16 weeks after conception. It feels weird.

Jim Weatherwax
WAX

anniversary....

Post by Jim Weatherwax » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:13 am

I got my first board the last time my dad tried to skate...6/21/74...my 5th birthday..I still vividly remember my dad, still at pro football weight and size eating shit in our driveway. It hurt him, but didnt scare me.....so this year is my 30th until june..

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:46 am

defensive tackle Jim Weatherwax?
GB Packer? Superbowl 1 & 2?

Same guy?

No wonder you scare me Wax.

Like your beer though.

Joe

David Baker
David Baker
David Baker

Must be about 30 years...

Post by David Baker » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:56 am

75 for me. I made my first boards from anything I could lay my hands on. I even had an aluminum board I cut with dads saber saw. My first eurothane wheels had loose ball bearings and they would eject periodicaly... My first "real" board was a G&S Fiberflex, 6 1/2" wide and 26" long, white on top and red on the bottom. Bennett trucks and Webber wheels. That was 76 and my first summer of skateboarding.

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:29 am

Started in 1976, 1st board that was all my own was a red plexigalss Nash with Nash trucks and Road rider 4's. I had one year off when I broke my leg and was in a cast for 8 months. That one sucked.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:49 pm

Ah riding around on my Black Knight, too cool. When I got my first set of Cadillac wheels the sky parted and the sun shown through. Watching our sport go through different stages has been awesome. Marcos the ramp you broke your leg on was a pretty crappy ramp dude. But word has it that you did not shed a tear. Your Amigo Eddy El Frito Bandito.

Jim Weatherwax
WAX

Big WAX

Post by Jim Weatherwax » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:58 pm

yeah Joe...thats him

Glenn S

Re: 30? I'll have 40 please, thank you very much

Post by Glenn S » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:00 pm

Steve Collins wrote:I got my first steel-wheeled Roller Derby in 1964 or 1965. When I finally stepped up to a sweet laminated Hobie Super Surfer 1967ish (white composite wheels with gold printing) I knew I had arrived. I still think that was a great board. We ground through dozens of sets of those composites and had that loud rough slidy turning ride DOWN. We rode barefoot. It had to be as much like surfing as possible, at least in our imagination. When Cadillacs showed up in 1973, well, everyone knows about THAT - the clouds parted, the angels sang, the heavens shown down upon the earth & we could all sneak off to our skate & party spots faster, quieter and with fewer falls from running over little rocks. That makes this year my 40th anniversary of skating (even if I didn't skate much from 1979 to 2001.)

Dang Steve your history just about mirrors mine. In about the early sixties (63-65) I think I was about 7 or 8 years old but not sure, long time ago (born 57'), I got my first Roller Derby steel-wheel too. Then I also got a Hobie too when I was about 11yo.. And in 72’ a group of us were already very into traversing hills on clay wheels that we'd wear-down to nearly nothing, when we wern't surfing. When in 73'-74? a friend’s father brought home a box of nearly 200 brand spankin’ new loose ball Cadillac wheels. I have no idea the history of where he got them, but it was life changing for us. In 73-and 75 I went through at least 12 sets of Cadillac wheels traversing hills, wearing them down to well over half way before putting on a new set. Pretty much stopped skating completely for surfing from 76’ through 2003, and then bummed-out on the lack of surf here in CA found slalom in 2003.

I need to find the photo slides that I hope I still have of the skating hills with my friends when we got that mother lode of Cadillac wheels. My dad had a great shop in our garage at the time with a tablesaw, bandsaw, and drillpress, sanding station, and I made most of the decks for my friends out of oak wood. In 73-75 I probably made at least 30 wood decks for my friends and myself.

Funny thing is that I nor my friends ever read a skateboarding magazine during that period of 73-76 that I can remember. Was there a skate magazine during that time? I do remember seeing Cadillac wheel advertisements in the Surfer and Surfing mags though. We were still more into surfing then, but we skated hills almost daily.

In 75’ or76’ a bit older friend Bob Jarvis (Bob was a pro skater at the time) told me about a place up in Baldy that he said was killer and wrote me up a map how to get there. So we drive up there from Dana Point and for some reason I needed to go back to the hardware store because my bolts on my trucks are missing and I drop off my friend and drive back to town. When I get back and make it down to the Pipe it is a full scene, Bob is there, Skitch Hitchcock(sp?), Mike Weed, photographers there. At least 30 or more people there. I was just in awe because I’d not really seen vertical skating like that before. And I’d not been there 10 minutes, didn’t even have a chance to take a run when it was……“COPS”!!!. And at the same time, my friend comes out of the pipe with a fully visible dislocated shoulder. Everyone is running, except me and my friend, that place just turned into a ghost town. So by the time I got out of the Pipe helping my friend get up past the gate above, the cops (there seemed to be quite a few of them) had a few people taking their names and giving tickets. And by the luck of the draw the cop that stopped my friend and I grabbed my wallet out of my back pocket and got my real name and address off my license. Shit he could even see that my friend had a badly dislocated shoulder and he still took the time to write us both tickets, didn’t even tell us how to find the hospital. But my friend did not have his wallet and gave a fake name. I took him to the Upland hospital after that. Well I had to go to court in Upland for “federal trespassing”. My dad and I drove out there like three different days and it cost my dad $ for the lawyer. But it got thrown out because out of all the people they stopped I was the only real name they got. I think that is why it got thrown out. It was a bad time with my parents.

That is pretty much when any skating stoke I had left after that court thing was redirected into surfing.

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

Congratz Bernhard, Glenn, and others !

Post by Rene Carrasco » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:27 am

BIG CONGRATZ to Glenn, Bernhard, and all you others out there -
for celebrating many years in skateboarding -
AND STICKIN' TO IT TOO ! - AWESOME !

This Summer 2005 - - - looks like that will make it around 45 years of Skateboarding
for me.
I started around 1959-1960 in Garden Grove, Calif.

Man, I wish I had photo's of me BACK THEN , that I could share, but the earliest photo
I have is this one - 1969.
PHOTO: By Rocky Carrasco.

In 1969 - I won my first Skateboard Contest -[Race]
In 1970 - I won it again.

When I started Skateboarding, my brothers Richy THE BROWN BOMBER,
and David COWBOY - - - were NOT EVEN BORN YET !

NOW - - - they RoMp AnD StoMp ALL OVER ME - - -
........AND I couldn't be more PROUDER ! ! !

Those cats SHRED !

BELOW: 1976 - RENE' - 25, RICHY - 14, AND DAVID CARRASCO- 15 YRS. OLD. -
@ CARLSBAD MOUNTAINS - THEY ARE DOING THEIR OWN VARIATIONS OF A
NOSE WHEELIE !

PHOTO: By Art Zippel.

BELOW: 1976 - RENE' @ LA COSTA SUNDAY RACES.
PHOTO: By Glenn Miyoda.

BELOW: 28 YEARS LATER - RENE' RACING @ THE 2004 LA COSTA OPEN -
TIGHT SLALOM EVENT - QUALIFYING @ 19TH PLACE IN THE PRO'S -OVERALL,
OUT OF 42 ! - - - - -AT 52 YRS. OLD ! -YAH !

Man O Man, I'm STILL TRYIN' - YA KNOW?
BELOW: RENE' CANNONBALL RACING @ 2004 MORRO BAY WORLDS - SUNDAY'S EVENT.

PHOTO: By Maria Carrasco.

MAYBE I SHOULD JUST STICK TO FREESTYLE !
BELOW: RENE' CANNONBALL - THE LONG AND SHORT OF IT !

PHOTO: By Maria Carrasco.

I WANT TO WISH 'THE BEST' TO ALL THE READERS OF SLALOMSKATEBOARDER.COM -
- THE NEW PEOPLE IN CHARGE OF THIS WEB SITE - - -
.........AND HAVE A GREAT 2005 SLALOM RACING SEASON !

............................-Rene' CANNONBALL Carrasco !
Last edited by Rene Carrasco on Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
RENE CARRASCO for - SK8KINGS.COM - Abec 11 Wheels - Tracker Trucks - Khiro Skateboard Products - Nitro Racing Bearings - Vans Skate Shoes !

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:00 am

Rene,
To me you are the consummate professional / ambassador for the sport of skateboarding. Thanks for sharing that with us all. That picture of you and your Bro's on the nose classic.

http://www.sk8kings.com/new/images/gall ... RASCO1.htm

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:16 am

yea,started in the spring of 75.i remember seeing the carascos in "wild world of skateboarding"in 77,they stoked me then,and rene,you still stoke me now.cf
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

A Zephyr Day with a John Denver look-a-like

Post by Jack Smith » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:17 pm

I wrote this a few months ago and couldn't remember if I had posted it on ss.com. When I saw all these great posts I decided to share some of my early days.

Today there was a Zephyr blowing through the canyons of the central coast, and my thoughts drifted back to the same time of year in 1975. I was 19 years old and had been skating for less than a year. It was around 10am and I was practicing nose wheelies in my driveway, when this VW Bus rolls to a stop and a John Denver look-a-like climbs out. I recognize the guy, he lives up the street with his wife and two kids. He introduces himself as, Steve Cline, and asks to check out my skate. After looking it over he hops on and skates around the driveway. I can tell that he has skated before, really skated.

He asks me if I have ever done any "mountain skating", I had no idea what he was talking about. He expalins it to me and asks if I would like to give it a go. I'm off that day, so I'm in. We jump in his bus, stop by his house to pck up his skate and we begin making our way into the hills behind Cayucos. The day is quickly turning into a day of firsts for me. I grew up on Air Force bases throughout the United States in the 60's and early 70's, hardly a place for "hippies" and VW buses.

As we drive along Steve tells me stories of skating down roads in the Angeles Crest National Forest in "skateboarding's dark ages". The bus slowly makes it way up the steep grades, soon we are pulling into a small turn-out, parking and pulling out our boards. I'm riding a 27' Bahne with Chicago trucks and loose ball Roller Sports. Steve's board is homemade wood plank with Chicago and Metalflex wheels. I had heard of Metaflex, but never seen any. Neither of us have pads or a helmet.

The day is clear and the Zephyr is present. Leaves rustle, I can hear birds in the trees and the sound of the small creek that runs down the canyon we are in. There is no traffic. I am acutely aware of the surroundings. It's as if everything has come together at this moment in time, a moment from which I would never turn back from. A moment that unbeknownst to me would change my life forever.

I'm a bit apprenhensive as we stand at the edge of the road, I have never skated anything this steep and long. Steve senses this and tells me to just follow him. He smiles at me then sets his board down and rolls away, carving back and forth across across the narrow road, he is surfing and skiing at the same time. I attempt to copy his turns, his smooth style. I have never seen anyone skate like Steve. As we make our way down the canyon, I jump off from time to time, hoping that he doesn't hear my footfalls. My bails become less frequent, my turns smoother, my confidence grows. Soon we are at the bottom of the run, we begin the long walk back up. We don't talk much. Something has stirred in me, a feeling I have never known. I know I want to do this again, over and over.

Today, almost thirty years later the Zephyr is here and I'm driving through the hills behind Morro Bay with my friend Adrian, telling him the story about Steve as we search for that perfect run, for that same stirring in our souls.

Thank you Steve.

Steve and his family moved away to a commune soon after my introduction to mountain skating. Before he left California he penned an article for "Skateboarder" Magazine, Volume 2, #2...it was titled "Skateboarding Through the Dark Ages". Read it. Soul.

I have recently had the pleasure of reconnecting with Steve. Look for his articles in "Surfer's Journal" and his book titled, "The Last Orange Grove".

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

SKATEBOARDING IN THE DARK AGES by Steven Cline

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:30 pm

He posted again, so I'll post this again. (By the way, Jack, this was an NCDSA-only post til now.)

SKATEBOARDING IN THE DARK AGES
By Steven Cline

Where was your skateboard four or five years ago? Had it passed into the obscurity of childhood memories, along with your “Fanner 50?” Could you have found it in the closet amidst ruins of a hundred playful fantasies? Or, was it among those things which had inexplicably passed from your hands?

Now that the Phoenix has risen from the ashes of forgotten thrills, it would be appropriate to relate the saga of a few brave souls who refused to let childhood melt into the static idleness that adulthood brings along as a lingering guest. This small band of the lunatic fringe continued to seriously practice and develop the technique and artistry of rolling down asphalted hills aboard splinters of wood, with tiny wheels bound to the bottoms, casting the organism with spinning speed and certain danger.

The two otherwise dissimilar town of La Canada and Manhattan Beach began an exchange of technical and stylistic data from two schools of thought which might be labeled Hodad an Surf. What would seem to be a blend of oil and water turned into a nectar of harmonious exploration.

The problems of automobile density and rough surfaces forced odysseys into the geographic and geological properties of a large part of Southern California. New hillside housing tracts lost their hideous urban negativity and emerged from the metamorphosis as smooth, uncrowded ribbons of winding joy. One such embryonic community was christened with the name of “Hot Wheels,” having a run which turned Makaha wheels so hot they smoked and crumbled. It was here that one brave rider, sliding on hands, chest, abdomen, thighs and knees made a picturesque commentary on the propensity of the aforementioned wheels to stop for every little pebble they encountered.

Less than daunted, the group decided it was time for some definitive improvements in this sorely neglected infant of a sport. Two major advances were a car and gloves. Ah, the automobile, gift of technology to zealous skateboarders. Something to wide the horizons of rideable mileage, something to ride back up those long hills in. Always take enough people so that by taking turns, one can restfully coast along behind the intricately weaving patterns of human form that dance across the windshield like a movie, to the time of whatever music that happens to be accompanying through the speakers.

Gloves, alas, a compromise. Gone the blissful tingle of unhindered breezes through outstretched fingers. Gone, too, the torment of peeling skin from palms in slow motion-like slides. Gloves tend to snatch hold of asphalt and stop. In the name of decreasing the lot of human suffering, gloves.

The exploration and development of new spots continued wide and far, vast and varied from Thousand Oaks to Pomona, and again and again to that natural wonder of the South Bay, Palos Verdes. P.V’s myriad of residential hills inspired such namesakes as Broken Shoulder, Just Around the Corner (referring to the mythical end of one steep hill), and of course, Busted Axle. The spare parts box was a huge, rejuvenating Nirvana for reincarnating shell-shocked trucks, wheels, bearings and even boards.

Good times, fantastic skateboarding, but the reception in suburbia was always mixed. Little kids followed in stoked awe, gardeners stared in amazement as their quiet streets were ripped to pieces by the graceful flow of fice or more speeding, long-haired hippies, who appeared and vanished with a roar – gone like a dream. The dogs, especially that one particular Great Dane, initiated a frightening game which blended the negative qualities of downhill slalom and running the gauntlet. The police, as ever, cast a confused and suspicious eye upon the spectacle. One cop, aghast and mouth open, stared in silence as one by one riders sped by quoting the MUSIC MAN. Zoom . . . “Ah, we got trouble my friends . . .” zoom “ . . . But he doesn’t know the territory . . .” zoom “ . . . with a capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for Pot . . .” zoom “ . . . Now I know you folks are all the right kind of people . . .” . . . and all that remained was the distant sound of that harsh clatter of skate wheels on pavement.

Revenge was plotted by our boys in blue and manfested as one’s advice that the hill riders remove themselves from the pleasant condition of a new graveyard, and go several miles distant to try out a flood control dam he had known as a child. “And don’t come back!” was implicit in the suggestion, as soon became obvious. Fear and adventure prompted agreement with the idea. Ah, that hill. Certain suicide, instantaneous death amidst the collected broken bottles of the years. About a 70-degree incline, with an incredible bowl that banked left perfectly into a towering cement wall. No matter how one turned, angled or slid, there was but one certainty – that wall would be the final expiration point of tremendous inertia. Nice cop. They passed.

But the wheels just weren’t making it. They’d get hot and fall off, or to pieces, or come to any number of other unforeseen ends. So, for a while, in spite of imminent danger to life and limb, there was a small group of surf types hanging around otherwise totally skating rinks from San Bernandino to Gardena. Without the lifts of shoe skates on their feet, they seemed small indeed among the surprised and disdainful stares of the locals. The apprenticeship, however, was fruitful. Blue Sure Grips were the discovered boon to hill riding. Good traction to a point and then a beautifully controllable slide of up to three or four feet. Braking loose backside became as common as ice skate stops. But as you, gentle reader, may surmise, their lifespan was gloriously short. About five miles, or to be specifically precise, two-and-a-half times down Broken Shoulder and its subsidiaries. Short of perfection to be sure. Back to Gardena, where an old pro rinker suggested the adoption of a new wheel called Metaflex. Also, the incorporation of a pet of his: speed cone hubs. Taking the master at his word, the group set to the test. A resounding “Wow!” was to be heard in P.V. shortly thereafter. These wheels had tremendous transition, speed and durability. Later in the Cadillac era, they would still rate high. Faster but less grab than the newcomers. Old favorite hills became at once unrideable. Accelerating out of every turn without dissipating slides was amazing and insane. The seeds of something real had been sown, but new topography would have to located first. It wasn’t long.

Skateboarding truly came into it own as a sport in the mountains. Angeles Crest Forest, midnight, biting cold, shooting stars, runs 10-miles long in the striking shadows of car headlights. Enchanted harmonies of sight, sound and touch, in careening balance. Sidewalk surfing palls beside the reality of two, three, four guys carrying on W.W.I bi-plane dogfights at ten- to twenty miles per hour. Inches apart, bumping nose to tail, powerful backside front, slide, wheelie, positions reverse, dancing like shadow souls locked together in a mystic rite of grace and speed. Out-pace the others, get around a mountain corner or two and all light is gone. The hills are black, the road is black, the sky is black with speckled flashes. Keep pumpin’! BLAM! “Was that a rock? God, I’m glad I couldn’t see it; I would have crashed for sure!” Two invisible forms racing down a void of starlight space. Turns banked for cars become huge waves to sweep backside into, drop down to the inside lane, whip a fully extended bottom turn, accelerating five-miles an hour back up to the shoulder. Like a monstrously large and thick P.V. cove wave in the fog, only faster and endless.

Yes, what night of bliss those were. Fearless joy testing and gambling of human life. Those couple of years of being innovators and explorers in an untried land, in a sport that had been virtually discarded even as it suffered its birth pangs on the sidewalks of America.

Well, it’s like surfing now. Who doesn’t skateboard? Who doesn’t have a favorite spot? And, just like surfing, the skateboarding fellowship of those times became too large to remain a close unit or brotherhood. As if to signal the Cadillac age of reborn popularity, that loving fellowship burst asunder and scattered along the length of California, many to never see one another again, like ball bearings rolling out of a broken, burning wheel. It is in eulogy of this group that I write. Verily, the keepers of the spirit of the sport until the world becomes of age.

Those days are gone, but the hills still abound, many unridden. And, as man continues to cover the land with that hard, black substance we call asphalt, his children continue to adapt their play to their environment. There won’t be a lack of uncrowded skateboard hills for many years to come. Each rider, true to his style, can find the paradise of his choice. We may yet live to see Haleakala paved.

Keith Hollien

Going for my 41st this summer

Post by Keith Hollien » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:04 pm

I started in the summer of 1964, thanks to my older brother(10 years older). Started Slaloming in summer of 1976, thanks to Henry Hester's article in Skateboarder Mag.

I just got back from the BLR/Radikal Outlaw Race(what a BLAST and what a HILL) in San Diego.

This season is starting off early and looks like it will be a full and long season. I might go to more cities and races than I did in 2003(10 cities for 25 races) or in 2004(11 cities for 26 races).

Thank you to everybody that will or has put on a race since 2003.

Later Keith, Team Radikal.

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

Pump Station Race & EARLY Skateboarding...

Post by Rene Carrasco » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:33 pm

Keith -

Hey man, I read about your placing @ The PumpStation Jam Race - way to go !

-lot's of good racers in that race .

Ya know what - - - like you, my mentors of early skateboarding were actually my
BIG BROTHER Ray, and also neighbor Larry Miller.

BELOW: RAY CARRASCO AND NEIGHBOR LARRY MILLER [-recent photo-]

***Richy The BROWN BOMBER - actually looks like a 'younger Ray' on Steroids ! -ha.
[-that's a compliment - guys]

Don't worry - Carrasco Bros. are drug free...

Keith - Say hi to "SARGE" MARK MACREE for me, will ya?

Glenn and Chris - thanks for the good words -
maybe someday we can all catch a BIG South Swell together in the O.C. !
NO TSUNAMI'S PLEASE !
Did you see the photo's of that actual Tsunami on the Internet? - TOTAL POWER.

See you ....
..........................-Rene' CANNONBALL Carrasco.

RENE CARRASCO for - SK8KINGS.COM - Abec 11 Wheels - Tracker Trucks - Khiro Skateboard Products - Nitro Racing Bearings - Vans Skate Shoes !

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:18 am

rene,you made me think of something special,my brother nino(rip).he bought me my first board,and he would bring home (wws)mag from the 7/11 for me.i dedicate this season to his memory.man i get so much from here,thanks bros,cf
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

:::: C.V. ::::

Post by Rene Carrasco » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:19 am

Chris -
-I'm sorry to read about your brothers passing.
It's way cool that you have that 'top-notch' respect towards him.

Man, I hope you have A GREAT YEAR SLALOM RACING & SKATEBOARDING in
memory of your brother !

Remembering my Father - -
...[-we used to call him "FEDS"-....because he was THE LAW!]....
....when he was dying, I dedicated my Tae Kwon Do to him ....
-and now every time I tie my black belt - I think of him.

Let me tell you a bit about him -
that cat was born in Watts, Los Angeles -
He made me my first bellyboard - I had to be around 6 or 7 yrs. old.
My Father totally got me into RESPECT and a LOVE for the Ocean -
Around 1962 - 1963, my Father asked me if I would like him to
CONCRETE THE WHOLE BACK YARD - - -
-and on each side "make curved up walls - like WAVES !" - -[-vert-]

If my Father had done that - it would have been
possibly the FIRST SKATEPARK EVER MADE - for skateboarding - with vert !

I told Dad "no", because I didn't want to 'hog' the back yard -
because I had OTHER brothers and sisters [15 kids] in sports -
football, baseball, golf, etc. - that needed that yard too.

I miss "Feds" - but I gotta tell ya - - -
when I'm skateboarding with Richy "THE BROWN BOMBER",
and David "COWBOY",
...looking at my brothers - - - it seems like my Dad is there with us !

If I make it to the 2005 LUNA SK8 JAM -
my bros. and I will probably see ya there.

-keep shredding brah! -
....................................-Rene' CANNONBALL Carrasco !

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

:: O.C. NEWS ARTICLE ::

Post by Rene Carrasco » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:15 am

-this is kinda cool ....from the newspaper - Orange County News.

- - - hot 'off the press' today !

-that last line should have read: SK8KINGS.

Oh well, it's cool.

Everybody take care,
......................................-Rene'.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

30 Years

Post by Claude Regnier » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:43 pm

I think 2004 was 30 years. I know for sure that it will 30 years in 2006 since I passed a petition for skatepark in Cornwall, Ontario. Then in 2007 I get to celebrate 30 years since I helped get the 1st. skatepark program going.

Almost time to retire, NOT!
Many Happy Pumps!

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

:: CLAUDE ::

Post by Rene Carrasco » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:14 am

CLAUDE -

....man, you've done A LOT for 'Canadian Skateboarding' !

I commend you for that !

........-Cannonball.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Thanks Rene

Post by Claude Regnier » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:07 am

Rene, it was guys like you and your brothers, Russ Howell, Hester, Hutson and so many others that were such a heavy influence on my liking the sport when I first saw it on TV. A week or so later I saw a board and that was it.

It is so great to have the oppurtunity to meet so many of the past Heroes. Let alone compete after such a long wait.
Many Happy Pumps!

Cameron Conn

Post by Cameron Conn » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:29 am

Vlad Popov wrote:19th.

I feel like an infant. No. Not an infant. Like a fetus. 16 weeks after conception. It feels weird.
1th
you feel like a fetus?
Its like a gift. I can't control it.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:46 pm

you feel like a fetus?
Yep. A fetus. 16 weeks in... Compared to those who celerbrate their 30 years of skating that is!

If you started skating after 1986, you might feel like an embryo (a life form 8 weeks and under). And if you were born after 1986....Image

:D

Cameron Conn

Post by Cameron Conn » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:38 pm

yep, I'm a sperm =(
Its like a gift. I can't control it.

alavoine jean paul

Post by alavoine jean paul » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:54 pm

Well, I'll still have to wait for another year before I can celebrate my 30th ...
Which makes me what : A very old french skater, but then what about JOSE, REMY BACKES, or the ALMUZARA bros ???

Question : How many points do I get in the world ranking for having been one of the first french skaters to do an ollie (though I would not call myself a street skater ),EVER?
jean paul aka POPOL:
"I was born yesterday...
but I stayed up all night!"

Jim Slater
Jim Slater
Jim Slater

Early bird

Post by Jim Slater » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:16 am

Full respect Gentlemen,
This will be my 30th year also.
I got my 1st skateboard on a whim in a "jumble sale" dunno if you have the same in the US! but it was called a "Chicago Nash sidewalk surfer" with clay wheels.
I like to think that I was one of the first this side of the pond.
This was no doubt a vintage deck by then in your eyes, but a revelation for us.
Imagine how stoked I felt to see urethane wheels for the first time!
Full respect to all for your longevety.
Keep em rolling
Jim Slater

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Extensions

Post by Claude Regnier » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:33 am

If Rene, Richy, David & any other Carrasco would total there sk8 time it would be pretty interesting to see those numbers. This comes to mind because the other day I was working on some sk8stuff (as usual) and realised that my baby (19 1/2) and I tottalled sk8 time amounted to 50 years. I can't wait (sure I can) till my Grandson is 19 and the family sk8 years will be well into the 100's of years.

So it led me to thinking about families like the Carrsaco's and many others and the future of the sport.
Many Happy Pumps!

alavoine jean paul

Post by alavoine jean paul » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:31 pm

alavoine jean paul wrote:
Question : How many points do I get in the world ranking for having been one of the first french skaters to do an ollie (though I would not call myself a street skater ),EVER?

Well, how many?
jean paul aka POPOL:
"I was born yesterday...

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

How Many?

Post by Claude Regnier » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:55 pm

How many do you need to move on? :)

Sorry I won't see you this year JP. Could you also tell Jose I hope to see you all in 2006. Unless you come here and all.
Many Happy Pumps!

alavoine jean paul

Post by alavoine jean paul » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:49 pm

If you go to Morro Bay you might see me, but I don't think you'll get to see my coach and technical adviser: José...
jean paul aka POPOL:
"I was born yesterday...

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Morro Bay

Post by Claude Regnier » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:25 pm

The tickets for Morro Bay are already purchased and we rented a house to stay in. So I hope to see you there.

An e-mail I received the other day.

Hi Claude

This has to be the same Claude Renier from Cornwall Ontario,right ? Do you remember Scott MacDonald ?

We used to skate together back in the late 70’s. Remember the ramps at the Water street arena ?

I can still picture you doing hand stands and slalom.

I was searching some Skateboarding sites with my son when I came across your name. Followed some links, did some searches and was amazed at how much you accomplished in the last 20 some years.

I have skated a little bit in the last few years and was still able to ride a half pipe. My son was quite impressed.

Then I took a little header and broke my wrist. Bones must be getting a little more brittle as I get up in years.

I had heard you opened a shop here in Cornwall and meant to drop by but you closed it before I had the chance.

Well this is just a little note to say hi and good luck with you racing career.

My note to him *here*

Hi again

Yes I will take my son up, very soon. I checked out that link you sent and it looks like a nice place to skate.

Just to jar your memory. You had a powell aluminium Quick silver slalom board, I had an aluminium powell Quick tail.

I traded you a pair of a.c.s. gold trucks for a pair of gullwing phenix trucks.

The first day of the water street arena ramp riding the standard freeholder took my picture.

I still have the article too.

So do you own this skate park and shop?

See you soon

Scott

P.S. Do you still have your old Dodge Dart ? LOL

Some of you guys will remember me mentioning that trade, EH!
Many Happy Pumps!

Pierre Samray

Post by Pierre Samray » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:05 am

So so old men in the skate world! when I hear some began as early as in 64!!!!
In France it's not so old.
Hey Jean Paul I started in 1977 (August) as you did and think do my first ollie in 79.
May be we can organize a big fiesta in 2 years with all the old French riders always present on the slalom skate scene as Langlade, Reveillard, Lozano, Fleischer, Casano... Funny idea isn't?

Brian Gilbert

Post by Brian Gilbert » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:20 am

wow im 23 how about , my 15 year, at least i started out right on my dads 77 alva complete, with mid tracks and ojs.

alavoine jean paul

Post by alavoine jean paul » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:08 pm

Sorry Pierre, I started in 76... But this year is also The Berrichon Skate Camp + 20 years, so there will be something to celebrate in July .
jean paul aka POPOL:
"I was born yesterday...

Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel

Post by Carsten Pingel » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:55 pm

Berrichon Skate Camp ? Is that the one in Bourges ?

alavoine jean paul

Post by alavoine jean paul » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:58 pm

YEP!
jean paul aka POPOL:
"I was born yesterday...

alavoine jean paul

Post by alavoine jean paul » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:18 pm

Pierre Samray wrote: May be we can organize a big fiesta in 2 years with all the old French riders always present on the slalom skate scene as Langlade, Reveillard, Lozano, Fleischer, Casano... Funny idea isn't?
Sure let's do it in Antibes or Cannes!
I can still get in touch with most of the Parisian veterans.
jean paul aka POPOL:
"I was born yesterday...

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Pannulla » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:26 am

I love your stories and pictures guys!
I've only been skating since 89, but then again im only 20!
But reading these stories makes me realize even more how great skateboarding is, and i know that i wont ever stop until im physically incapable of doing so.
And by my 30th anniversary, im sure ill have plenty of stories to tell!
So happy anniversary, and keep on rollin'!
"I like symmetry and geometric shapes"
"I wanted my head to appear small, and the easiest way to do that was to make my body bigger."

Paul Howard

30+years

Post by Paul Howard » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:47 am

Hey, Glad to know I'm in such good company! I can SOOOOOO relate to all those stories. I gotta find someone with a photodigitizer and post some old photos. Adios-Pauliwog
I just dig slalom!

Eric Brammer

How long ago?

Post by Eric Brammer » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:55 am

Coming from Vermont, I was one of the first kids ANYwhere near me to have Urethane wheels on my board. There were a few (like,um 3,a few) older 20-somethings in town who had either steel or clay wheel boards when I had talked my parents into buying that first board for me. I was 6, that was 1972. I look around today and can't believe what all I've seen and done on Skateboard, or on Snowboard (27 years now on those)! :-D
It occurs to me often that I've been unbelievably blessed by a fortunate leap of faith by my parents to just let me have-at that first board. I also hits me just how long I've been at these sports when I'm coaching 'kids', kids who have jobs, families of their own... OY, I'm OLD!! ;-) Sigh.. But then again, I'm a believer in doing activities that force you to 'think young', and Sk8boarding, and Snoboarding certainly do That! When you've got a 15 yr. old bragging that he stomped your butt in a good day of Slalom, that's when you're still staying Alive, and thinking young (I'll get that boy, Next Time!).
My moniker, "Pre School Rider", or PSR, that I use online is a friendly Jab at a friend of mine, a guy who was for (many) years an Icon at Stratton in the snowboard community there. That'd be the one and only 'Old School Dan', whom I discovered started both Snowboarding ('83) and Skateboarding ('76-'77) about five years later than myself...
I think you can see how I got the nickname. :-) I've been fortunate enough to actually meet up with 'Steelwheel' Bob at Morro Bay. I know my place in the scheme of things, and I'm still a Pup, with stuff yet to learn. Just be sure that you all pass on the Stoke, and show a youngin' how to Skateboard Fast, Downhill...
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:09 pm

See Above.

30 years ago. As best as I recall, we wore no pads and I didn't fall.

Ah, the good ol' days.