Finish Line impact bags

Cones and Placement

Moderator: Pat Chewning

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:07 pm

Does anyone know where you get these. Track and field uses them for the high jump- I would like to find some in expensive inflatable bags. Hay bales are not soft and make a mess and are hardly portable.

Scott Peer

Post by Scott Peer » Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:24 pm

There are a few options that I know of. Bob Pereyra used to borrow gymnastics mattresses from a nearby school. For the Mammoth race,
the ski area has offered their protective mattresses for loan. I believe ReliableRacing.com should have some of the ones for ski racing available for purchase. I've taken an even cheaper and easier route: stuffing styrofoam chunks and peanuts into heavy duty trash compactor bags.

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:36 pm

empty cardboard boxes are interesting too (but one use)

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:25 am

another idea i had recently (for the Troca) is to use a tennis or volleyball net, as high as the belly, so that riders would pass arms over it.
the thing would be hung on poles thru what we call here tendeurs [tighteners ?] or sandows: long flexible cords with hooks to fix luggages on a roof or so,
so the thing would hold you and stop you in a rather progressive way

in Paris the idea does not seem to fit their relationship to danger, but here ...

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:10 pm

Pierre, sorry that is a lousy Idea!

The high Jump pits are the best thing we can hope for. They are approximately between 24 and 36" high and will absord a rider without injury.

They should be fairly easy to rent from a school or Track Club.
Many Happy Pumps!

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Trocadero impact bags.

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:00 am

I think that the Paris race at the Trocadero could be made a lot longer if we had such impact bags. As a rider I would be willing to pay an extra $10 entry fee for such bags. It would easily offset the cost of the shoes I would save. Hopefully they might also save some people from footdragging type falls as well.

The Trocadero is a great slope and great surface in a great location...it would seem a pity not to use the whole hill.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:46 am

I have discussed this topic with Jani and I had also the idea that the high jump mattresses could be something that could work. I remember using those in the Swiss competition in Hombrechticon many years ago. But with the speed at Trocadero you would need more than one to take on the chock I guess.