Turner - 3dm Cambria Colours?

Seismic / 3dm Skateboard Wheels

Moderator: Daniel Gesmer

Manuel Schaub

Turner - 3dm Cambria Colours?

Post by Manuel Schaub » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:03 am

My friend Ramón has two dark grey (should be 90 A) 3dm Cambrias.
I bought myself two dark grey Turner Cambrias (should also be 90a),
but my wheels are much harder. Now I think that my wheels are 90a and the pair of my friend 86a. Couldn't you guys write the duro's on the wheels because their colour changes when they get older, or did Howard change the colours[/quote]

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:19 am

94As were aslo released. They are darker.
Generally, the wheels do change color with time.

Daniel Gesmer
Seismic Skate Sys.
Seismic Skate Sys.

3dm wheel color scheme

Post by Daniel Gesmer » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:28 am

In the future, we will probably implement a new color scheme that does not rely on variations of grey to distinguish durometers. The old system can be confusing, since what looks like "light grey" to one person might seem "medium grey" to another.

...Dan

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:11 am

You can only distinguish between the 3dm gray colors if you have them all in front of you.

Unfortunately it was made even more difficult because I think one batch ended up with a slightly incorrect shade of gray.

New colours would be great.

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Let's make it more colourful!

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:20 pm

My suggestion: Rainbow-Colours! ;)

rmn

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:30 pm

Bright colors would be fun!

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:59 am

that comes with a guy in spandex! lol
just messing
i think you should have some pink, blue, grey, black, red, turquoise, green yellow... white is too average for an above average wheel

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:30 pm

or just make 'em all white and we can get busy with the RIT dye

the reason the duro isn't in the engraving is purely $

to do that you'd need a mold for each duro instead of one mold for all duros

Q

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:43 pm

I suppose I can claim responsibility for the grey on 3dm wheels. At the time (spring 2002) we had only the white avalon to work with and both Howard and I had a reaction to the Hyper Strada color wheels.... Howard wanted to work form black to white (white being softest, black being hardest)...when we had only 3 duros it worked fine but when Howard added more duros in between it got harder and harder to tell....then the odd colors came out (aqua, red, orange) to fill in even more gaps. The other kicker is that the colors didn't match across wheels. So a white cambria (78a) didn't match a white avalon (80a). Howard's thinking, which worked when we had limited duros was not to worry about duro but have the user know white is always your softest wheel and black is hardest...the duros only matter to the shape and design of the wheel...so a 80a cambria would really ride/feel like a 80a avalon due to it's size/shape...but a 78a cambria, slightly softer offers the same "feel" as a 80a avalon.... it all makes complete sense unless of course you have never heard it explained to you before...hahaha.

Another thing I know Howard wanted to do was not add anything (or limited pigment) into the urethane to get better feel on the wheels....thus white was used.

I did many color studies for wheels early on, I think we explored

-warm colors (red, orange, yellow. pink)
-cool colors (blue, aqua, purple, magnenta)
-rainbow (yellow, red, blue, green (not abec green), pink)

The solution is to mold the duro into the wheel, like we did the art...but that means changing each mold...blah blah blah...expensive. Printing only works so good as most the time it falls off....so the sharpie is really the best solution. Mark your wheels when they are new....

I personall LOATH multi colored strada/rainbow wheels colors.....I like white wheels....but that's me...

Dan, If Howard hasn't already given you a batch of 3dm artwork email me and I will zip a folder together with all the artwork I created and color studies/logos...etc.....since it is all yours now...plus you can see what we have already explored.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:22 pm

Jack Quarantillo wrote:or just make 'em all white and we can get busy with the RIT dye
That is an awesome idea. The duro and company name could be screen-printed on the side. That is also good if you want to change the name of the company without spending money on a mold for the engraved logo.

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:05 pm

The idea with different colours should still be. So you have a general view and you don't have to look at your wheels three or four times to get their duro (if they have engraved logos).

rmn

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:21 pm

With the duro written in permanent marker on the side of my Abec11 wheels, I don’t have to look at them more than once to know which ones they are.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:06 pm

Therefore, all wheels should be green.

Steve Michael
azsuprasm
azsuprasm

Colors consistent with DUROS

Post by Steve Michael » Tue May 04, 2004 5:52 am

At G4 this weekend, we all got a peek at all the pretty new colors of 3dm wheels. I think we named each of them after drinks or beverage condiments; Bloody Mary (the new red), Olive (for your martini) and Curacao (that flouro blue).

Before this gets outta hand Dan, make it simple and market the hell outta it. There will always be more duros and colors to experiment with, so either make them the same color & we'll continue to use the sharpies, or keep your duros consistent to each color! I can tell you the duros of the 1-3 series of Kryptonics, and that's what they sold the snot outta. When they started to mix them is when we (as paying consumers) got confused.

I can see Chris S's points (and even understand some of them), but I respectfully disagree with Howard's "feel" principle. There's even Biblical perspective..."Let your yes be yes, your no be no, and your Olive always be 86a." Or is that Olive Branch?

Do you think they skated the Mount of Olives?

-=S=-, very very tired.