Organization and Administration

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Site Sponsor Schedule 2003 - 2004

Post by Adam Trahan » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:30 pm

Ok, this is a sticky subject.

I would like to ask for help in paying for the site. I spend a lot of time on it and I also have been paying for ALL of the site costs for the last year. No complaints but I would like to have the site pay for itself.

SlalomSkateboarder.com site cost details.

We are hosted by www.phpwebhosting.com It's the best service I could find for unlimited storage and traffic that has good customer service. They give out storage in 100meg blocks and we have about 350+megs at this time.

My ISP cost is $20 per month and I use this to access the site, ftp, e-mail correspondance. I figure paying half of my dial up is reasonable. The other half of this service is for personal reasons.

Domain Registration is through Network Solutions and is $35 per year, cheaper if I pay multiple years but I pay by the year.

Host : $10
ISP: $10
Domain Registration: $35 per year / 12 months = $3 per month

Site cost per month is $23

PayPal to hangwind@earthlink.net with the subject "SlalomSkateboarder.com Site Sponsor for the month of _ _ _ _ _ _ "
< Ed note: Nov 2004 - Do NOT paypal to the above address. Adam no longer handles the site. /Jani >

At the bottom of the page you can see an announcement "Site cost sponsored by _ _ _ _ _" for how ever long you decide to pay for the site.

No banners, just a text message with a link embeded of your choice.

3-months maximum at a shot.

At the moment, I will take applications for who will sponsor the site here at this string and when enough have been reached, I will LOCK the topic.

Site Sponsorship

October: Joe Iacovelli (Paid)
November: Howard Gordon (Paid)
December: Howard Gordon (Paid)

January: Howard Gordon (Paid)
February: Eric Groff (Paid)
March: Vlad Popov (Paid)
April: Sam Gordon (Paid)
May: David Gale (Paid)
June: Rick Stanziale (Paid)
July: Rick Stanziale (Paid)
August: Rick Stanziale (Paid)
September: Steve Collins (Paid)
October: Boston Area Slalom Sessions - Matthew Wilson (Paid)
November: Gary Fluitt (Paid)
December:
Last edited by Adam Trahan on Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:15 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:42 am

You could set up a Paypal account and members could voluntarily donate $23 as a registration fee.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:59 am

Hey Rick, thanks for responding. If a member (registered) chooses to pay for the site costs, that's cool but I think it would be a good idea if the manufactures who are found at this site would offer first to foot the bill. It's a sort of advertising expense on a voluntary basis.

I don't like having to do this but $23 bucks is a lot of money for me to be putting down each month, and that's just the money. This is no complaint and not a warning.

This web site has been built with many key people, mostly you, the members who register. There are many kind people out there who are willing to help out and a couple of individuals who have offered in the past with donations (which I did not accept).

The site needs to pay for itself, I think it is important as a community effort to not have the responsibilty on only one person. I'm your editor but as I have said before, if you don't like the way I'm directing, you can replace me through a vote.

Ideas can stand on their own, it's time for this one to take a few more steps.

I do have a PayPal account but I don't know the ins and outs of it. I've heard if you pay with a CC that it costs even more. A personal check or money order is just fine. At $23 per month, it's only a big deal to me.

Howard Gordon
1953-2010 (RIP)
1953-2010 (RIP)

Post by Howard Gordon » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:35 pm

Adam - I'll be happy to pick up the costs

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:28 pm

How about changing the credit text to something like "Site costs for October 2003 paid by ...".

Like that we'll all understand that it is personal or minor sponsoships and not a life time commitment.

PS. Maybe you shouldn't have been so strong about sponsorship as you once were. I'm all for supporting the guys who make this sport happen, so I wouldn't mind ads or whatever in the future of this site, but of course, nobody wants it to become too heavy with ads. But let's be open about the sites future over the next few years. Maybe your election idea is not such a bad idea as it allows others to take over temporarily and possibly steer in a slightly different direction.
Last edited by Jani Soderhall on Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:41 am

Thanks for the thoughts Jani.

I'll make the changes for the next sponsor as cited.

The election idea came from my conviction to making the best site that I knew how while putting the wants of the community first. I've already tried to pass the torch to someone who I thought would be best and was told, "No, you continue on Adam, I'll take it if you have to give it up." I read the support that I received in this forum and well, as long as I'm having fun, the community thinks that I'm doing a good job, and it's not too much a drain, I'll carry on. When it's time, I'll step back to "editor emeritus" status.

Ads? I'm open to it. I would like to see the money go to a fund for the community if this is to happen. Timing equipment, ramps, travel scholarship, that sort of thing but I don't see it happening.

For the most part skateboarders (myself included) are a bit slow to embrace a community effort. I've been campaining for help with procuring a simple quality sticker for the site so we can all have one for our boards, it simply isn't materializing on a community approach. Stories, articles? Enthusiasts and racers like the site but have asked enough for support. As K.Molica says, "...enough."

I don't have the heart or the time to "be a salesman for ad space" or that sort of thing blah blah blah...

I believe in leading by example, hopefully, this site will reflect a little of this.

Again, thanks for the thoughts, I'll change the site cost thing next contributer.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:26 pm

Hey, who's paying for this in November?
It's important that I keep track of who to hold personally responsible!

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:05 pm

That would be Howard Gordon. He has supported the site for the next three months (November, December 2003 and January 2004).

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:52 am

So is this just individuals? Or could The Slalom Spot be a sponser for one month?
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:46 pm

Karl Floitgraf wrote:So is this just individuals? Or could The Slalom Spot be a sponsor for one month?
The Slalom spot is most welcome as a sponsor. Adam will certainly be pleased to set you up for one of months early next year.

In general I think we should strive for private, at least privately named, sponsors (everybody knows the companies behind Howard Gordon and Gareth Roe anyway). Having sponsorship at a level where it is possible to contribute with private money will give us a good indicator in the future if it's worth to keep this site going. If there are private sponsors who are willing to keep it going, then it'll go on. That's the beauty of running this forum as a community.

It's my time to forward a big thank you to those who have already sponsored and those who are ready to sponsor this site in the future. It's a good to see that just because Adam started it all, he doesn't have to pay for it.

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Future?

Post by Sam Gordon » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:03 pm

Adam, let us have a list as to what months are now available please!

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:36 pm

Adam,

It would be nice too if you could maintain a list of those who have sponsored each month visible to all on the site. Just do one post and update it each month, for example like the contest calendar.

Maybe the same post could contain at least the next 1-3 months so we know if it's still vacant or not.

Just ideas, do it whichever way you like.

/Jani

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

September 2004

Post by Steve Collins » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:49 am

I'm in for September. By then I should be competing.

In the meantime, I have a lot to learn from all of you, even the ones whose butts I'll hopefully kick some day ;)

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:52 pm

adam, can you give me your email address?

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:03 am

I can pay for May. But since I am not 18 yet online money transfers are more trouble than they are worth in the end. Can someone pm me an address I can send a money order or check to?
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:20 pm

Don't know what kind records Adam keeps re: this, But I spoke w/ him and have already committed to Sept and Oct.. I'll be happy to forfeit 1 of them to someone if they'd like!!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:07 pm

Thanks Dave and the rest of the site sponsors.

I put in Steve Collins for Sept and when we receive your payment (Dave) I'll put yours in at the appropriate month.

I am not going to take any more sponsors for now, we are paid up for just about the next year.

Thanks to all of you, it's a really nice web site.

adam