Media Coverage

Internet, Magazine, TV, Radio

Moderator: Maria Carrasco

Curt Kimbel
RoeRacing
RoeRacing

Post by Curt Kimbel » Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:44 pm

When we go legit we will grow rapidly here in the Mid-Atalantic region. The media appears very interested in slalom racing, especially races involving older skaters.

My son Willis and I were recently asked by a reporter of the Washington Post about a new skatepark built nearby. The reporter really became interested when she learned that skateboarding was not just a bunch of 12 year old kids. The article went from a local story about a new skatepark to a regional story about older skaters still enjoying the sport. Check out the article at:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Nov30.html

Once we become legitimate we can expect regular coverage from our local papers. This will bring more racers and spectators and sell more equipment.

Curt

Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:23 pm

Thats really cool Curt, I think articles like that would encourage more towns to let us hold races in the streets.

I'm glad to see the general public can finally understand not all skateboarding is crazy kids jumping around on handrails and curbs, but could be a family activity enjoyed by all generations. That is what will help the town councils rule in our favor.

Regards,
Brain
Wobbler

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:34 pm

Yes Curt, I concure.

This is one of the reasons why I decided to build http://www.slalomskateboarder.com I thought that I could present "our community" in a good light and forward the sport online and in the media. No cost to the company that supports the sport, all benefit to the community who participate, no one profits except the people who participate.

The rules that I have presented to this community are primarily driven by our demographic, most of us are adults and act as such.

But I am prevented from spreading the word at http://www.ncdsa.com and further more have been blackballed there without an explination. In some respects, there are some who are preventing my presentation of spreading the word about slalom skateboarding.

People make choices every day, I will continue to look at slalom skateboarding as an adult form of skateboarding and act as such.

I must be an idiot...

:smile:

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:40 pm

Adam,
You have been blackballed from NCDSA because you tried to spread the good word of Slalom, Dont you know that NCDSA is a monopoly and if you cant play by the rules you cant play the game. Rules..... its a F%ckin chat room gimme a break. If there is somebody that is spreading the good word of slalom then power to ya!!!!! Why hasnt everyother website that caters to slalom been removed from NCDSA. Because they advertize, maybe you should advertise on NCDSA then you could get back on?

Funny story, this past year when we raced at Tahoe Chicken and I had to find a computor in Reno where we were staying, he wanted to bid on a skateboard on Ebay that was gonna close within an hour, I had to follow up on some business emails so we went to this internet cafe, So I decide to check in on NCDSA while I waited to see if there is any reports about the race. I see all this chatter about a Bank and Ditch and Pool and Parks forum, Glen Darcy wanted to know why NCDSA didnt have a forum to cater to these type of skaters, So I post that it would be a good idea and that I wanted to advertise on those forums with a new online retail store that I was going to open, I told Adam that I would email him about it, Next thing ya know theres the forums..... Money is the route of all evil. Glen you never did thank me........

Arab

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:44 pm

ARAB, you may not realize it, but this is how I get paid, in thanks, not $.

I'm not looking for thanks, I'm looking to be a part of something as cool as slalom skateboarding and what you are seeing here is my contribution.

Knowing who you are and what you have done for skateboarding, I am going to take this as a BIG compliment.

Thank you.

Henry Hester
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"

Post by Henry Hester » Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:41 am

Adam, you're a cool guy. It was great meeting you at Morro Bay. I only wish you had arrived early enough to suit up. Dude, anyone who has Arab posting on their site is a winner.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:09 am

It's really too bad about the crap. Even good intentions can be misconstrued. I'm really surprised at the attitudes displayed by some (socalled) Slalom supporters.

They say they are there to support and help build. Well they sure as hell don't understand the basics of a strong building block.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Claude Regnier on 2002-12-02 21:10 ]</font>

Glen Darcey

Post by Glen Darcey » Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:49 pm

Hey I finally found this place. I've heard about it but didn't know a URL.
I guess NCDSA blocks people telling about this site.
Battle of the bulletin boards!

Arab, you were behind the banks and ditches forum? Thanks. It took the potentail offer of cash to get them to move on it. Just for that, I'll take you to our latest find, the Pimp Daddy ditch. 5' high 100 yards long, new concrete.
Buy my video
This Is Not Skateboarding
the rebirth of slalom

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:57 am

Hey Glen,
At the time I made the post I think the name I used was AZ Al, Then next thing ya know you got your Ditch site!
Could your new ditch do a banked slalom?

Lets ride!
Arab

Glen Darcey

Post by Glen Darcey » Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:01 pm

Banked slalom at Pimp daddy? It's probably not a great banked slalom ditch. It starts off on a nice mellow downhill and then drops off fast into a steep catch basin. There is no runout other than dirt. It's also in the middle of a new construction area and is very exposed at this time, so you need to go in pretty low key. 60 cars parked down the street wouldn't be low key. Me and the Afroman guys may hit it tomorrow. If we do, I'll get some footage or picts and email you a couple. Give Chicken my best.

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Salem newspaper covers slalom event

Post by Pat Chewning » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:02 pm

http://news.statesmanjournal.com/article.cfm?i=84779

MATT MONAGHAN
Statesman Journal
August 8, 2004

Years from now, when the Exit Skate Classic is an annual competition drawing hundreds of skateboarders to Salem, no one will remember how the first event really began.

So for the sake of history, this is how it went.

With a skateboard balanced across his knees, event organizer Jake Hauswirth scratched out a list of contests on a piece of paper, shrugged his shoulders, and said: “We’ll just wing it.”

And with that, the first Skate Classic was born Saturday at Bush’s Pasture Park on Soap Box Derby Hill.

The classic was put on by Exit Real World, the skate, snow, and surf clothing and equipment store in Salem.

More than 40 skateboard contestants, ranging in age from 10 to 42 came to the park, vying for a total of $1,000 in prize money in four different events.

Elimination-style contests took place in slalom, speed bomb, wheelie and ollie.

Tay Hunt, a professional skateboarder and past world champion from the 1970s, wowed the skating crowd by winning both the slalom and speed bomb events.

In the slalom run, Hunt successfully weaved his aerodynamic board through a 100-yard course of cones in the fastest time, earning him $250.

The second event, the speed bomb, featured skaters riding straight down the hill as fast as they could.

Hunt doubled his winnings when, again, he zipped down Derby Hill with a winning time of 16.73 seconds in the speed bomb.

Hunt, 42, grew up skating in empty swimming pools in Southern California, but quit when he was 17.

It wasn’t until a childhood friend of his told him about the contests that he decided to make a comeback.

Now living in Bandon, Hunt came to Salem to compete in the classic.

“I quit for 18 years, never touched a board before a friend of mine started winning money in these contests, and I thought, ‘I’m better than him, I should do that.’”

Other younger, and less experienced skaters didn’t get left out of the loot, however.

Noah Baxter, a 26 year-old Salem resident, surprised everyone, including himself by winning the ollie contest.

The event features skaters trying to jump with their board over a bar raised to a certain height.

After failing to clear 37 inches in practice, Baxter popped his board over the the height, drawing the day’s biggest cheers and $250.

“I’ve never won anything for skateboarding before, it’s always just been for fun,” Baxter said.

Dave Hupp of Portland won the wheelie competition, riding down the hill the farthest while balanced on his back wheels.

Ten-year-old Tyler Withers, the classic’s youngest competitor, didn’t win any money, but he did win a free T-shirt in a raffle drawing, making him happy.

As anyone who has ever been to Exit Real World knows, no one goes home without getting something for free.

“I had fun,” said the Morningside Elementary School student. His brother, 16-year-old Scott, eliminated him in the speed bomb.

Following the awards ceremony, a harried Hauswirth smiled and declared the day a success.

“Everything went pretty smoothly,” he said. “It was just good to get the local skating community together. I can’t wait to do it again next year.”

mmonagha@StatesmanJournal.com or (503) 399-6744