I'm in need of a helmet

All about safety gear

Moderator: Bill Walker

Barry Gourley

I'm in need of a helmet

Post by Barry Gourley » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:55 pm

I'm looking for a good helmet that will save my melon, that has a decent price.
Thanks,
Barry

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:20 pm

I use a Giro "Switchblade" full face helmet when I run cones. I'm older, I'm more worried about a cerebral hematoma or concussion due to a impact. I have children who depend on me and I will spare no expense for a good helmet. It is not cheap.

When I was younger, I wore a Jay Adam's "Fly Away" helmet. Do not give in to the temptation to be "cool" and wear one of these. I rarely fell and it did work well for the following, minor impact and abrasion protection. This helmet will not protect you adequately if you take a spill with force. You will see a lot of good slalom skateboarders wearing them, please don't make that choice. Somebody is bound to pipe in with more about this...

ProTec makes a good helmet at a good price.

There are others out there that will protect your mellon at a good price. I've said what I needed to say.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:12 am

Barry,
Don't go lower than ProTec. They're about $40, and are pretty comfortable.

Keep this in mind:

Ten dollar helmet for a ten dollar head.

Q

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:52 am

As I said in the other recent helmet topic - Don't even go for the Pro-tec. Of course I am one of those super awesome slalomers that wears a baddass Flyaway helmet, but these have more impact protection than the current Pro-tec standard (at least mine does). I challenge anyone here to go check out new Protec helmets in their size and then decide if they would still consider them acceptable protection. Unless your head is the size of Bertleboy's, a currently-produced Protec is just a step up from a baseball cap.

Will J
Will J
Will J

Post by Will J » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:35 am

WesE wrote:As I said in the other recent helmet topic - Don't even go for the Pro-tec. Of course I am one of those super awesome slalomers that wears a baddass Flyaway helmet, but these have more impact protection than the current Pro-tec standard (at least mine does). I challenge anyone here to go check out new Protec helmets in their size and then decide if they would still consider them acceptable protection. Unless your head is the size of Bertleboy's, a currently-produced Protec is just a step up from a baseball cap.
blah blah blah.. protec makes a perfectly fine helmet, mines well over 10 years old(which by the way, IS THE SAME MODEL MADE TODAY) and scratched to hell and back, but NOT cracked and i have never sustained any type of head injury whilst wearing it (and i've landed on my head MANY times)..
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a
smile and a gun."

- Al Capone

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:35 am

Protec was making only one size of outer shell in 2001. That simplification was a step back in protection. Have they returned to production of their standard helmet with size-specific shells since then?

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:30 am

The shells are the same size on the protecs I've purchased this year.

Q

Barry Gourley

Im need of a helmet

Post by Barry Gourley » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:50 pm

I know the importance of a good helmet, from the late 80's I ALWAYS bought the BEST motorcycle helmet. Thats when i started to make enough money to have it. Arei is the BEST for me and I know a lot of pro's will only ride with them.
I have a Giro mountain bike helmet and they fit great but it only covers the top of your head. I would think a slalom helmet or anything for S/B would need to cover the intire head.
My father has been riding bicycles for 50 yrs and he only wears a Giro, he has crashed and his head really didn't get hurt.
Has anybody hit their chin on a crash?? I think I need to look into something with chin protection.
Thanks,
Barry

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:44 pm

The Giro Switchblade offers chin protection.

If those guys say "No" to ProTec, I would definitely investigate other options. I don't mess around with helmets, I buy the best that I can find. If I had unlimited funds, I would be wearing one of those Icaro's.

Don't compromise, buy the best you can buy.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Helmet Standards

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:12 pm

Here are some explanations of some of the standards used for skateboard helmets. These links are somewhat dated, but they give an idea of what to look for. There is a site somewhere that describes the differences in the drop test used for the different standards, but I'm having trouble finding it again. I'll add the link when/if I find it.

http://www.skateboarding.com/skate/maga ... 43,00.html

http://www.bhsi.org/other.htm#skateboard

http://www.bhsi.org/cu_2002.htm

http://www.bhsi.org/skate.htm

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:23 pm

Old Bell Ad..
"If you got a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet"
ENJOY!! (while you can)