An American Skateboarder in Paris - 2003

Slalom Skateboarding in France

Moderator: Guillaume Saint-Criq

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Fri May 23, 2003 9:58 am

I will write a full article on this.

But some things can not wait. This will be short as I am suffering with a French keyboard and lots of keys are in different places.

I will try and post some photos.

The Trocadero surface is still near perfect- extremely grippy.

Within 5 minutes of Gesmer, Vlad, Victoria and I arriving the locals set a course.

Mind you - these were not the top French guys.

Same thing - different decade.

One guy threw down a blistering run on an old Hester Fiberflex. Running soft wheels shaped like Abec 11 No Schoolz. Some park trucks. His raw time was within .2 of Vlad and was clean. Vlad hit about ten cones.

This French guy is not their first string. He talked about Jose Dematos saying "yes Dematos is much much faster than me" I replied "faster than Luca?" He shook his head......"no Luca is so much Faster- it is unbelieveable".

Frankly, anyone would think this French skater was unbelieveable - nice guy as well - hopefully he would come to compete in the USA.

Speeds are very high - plan to incinerate a pair of shoes per day - no run out. I brought 4 pairs of brand new DC Manteca's likely none will make it home.

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Fri May 23, 2003 10:16 am

Hi John
we will be in Paris by around 6 p.m. I am still working. Where can we find you tonight?

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Fri May 23, 2003 11:00 am

Trocadero

Gareth Roe
RoeRacing Team Captain
RoeRacing Team Captain

Post by Gareth Roe » Fri May 23, 2003 8:58 pm

Click <a href="http://www.parispourvous.com/index.php?wpe=a38" target="_blank">here</a> for a direct link to the Trocadero Web Cam.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed May 28, 2003 12:17 am

John,
I had to race that guy in parallel slalom. The only reason I won was a 2-meter “TS”. Shoudda used GS wheels to shave off another second. Good learning experience for me.
Luca was about 10 cones ahead of me when we practiced on real TS course (1.8 m) on the other side. 10 cones=2 seconds. NOTHING HAS CHANGED.
Vlad.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed May 28, 2003 12:40 am

And by the way....

Luca complemented your style. I don't remember on which course (parallel or special), but he said it was "very good for that course".

I think I chatted with Gianmarco the most. He showed me a lot. No secrets whatsoever. My TS technique is no good.

I learned more in the last 3 days then in the last 6 months. It was a "good trip" :smile:

VV

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Fri May 30, 2003 5:36 pm

Vlad, Jean-Paul Alavoine, the guy with pink helmet and big red wheels, he did let you go one second ahead to use you as his rabbit ; somehow he had not listened to chrono explainations, can you believe it ?
He followed you at exact same speed a few meters below.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri May 30, 2003 6:31 pm

Etienne,
Nice meeting you/talking to you.

I qualified with Hamid, not Jean-Paul. Hamid left the gate after the fourth beep, while I pulled on the forth beep. My video shows approximately .5 sec difference in reaction time on the first run. I posted 2d fastest row time on that run.

On the second run I pulled before the forth beep to mess Hamid’s timing. I then pulled back and got off the ramp a bit late. But the trick messed up his start again. It was just a game which I enjoyed playing.

Even though the guy looked super fast on the 6ft practice course, our times were similar. His loose rear truck and extremely soft wheels seemed to be a limiting factor. He would have kicked my ass on the “right" equipment.

After qualifying I switched to bigger and harder wheels, which were faster on that hill. If I could make them work....If we had a race....

Shouldda-couldda.... Who cares. It was fun.

Hamid and (esp) Jean-Paul have a good parallel technique. I’m sure I’ll meet them in future races.

My rabbit is Luca.

Vlad.