kingpin check

Radikal Skateboard Trucks

Moderators: Keith Hollien, Mark McCree

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

kingpin check

Post by Etienne de Bary » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:22 pm

hi, i'm now a deep hooked fan of the Radikal Claw, i use it every day with no rain with 2 red bushings and it instantly improved my level quite a bit. :D
However i realised that i have to rescrew the kingpin after each session. it's not a big problem, it was the same with the old Seismics: one has to check it once in a while. it's lucky however that i had a look in time first, after i realised it had became quite loose. i heard some people broke their kingpin, i'm pretty sure that it actually is the same problem: once partly unscrewed it must become fragile.
This is not a defect actually: since this part has to be screwed and unscrewed once in a while it can't be blocked, but i think customer should be warned about it. A little communication effort could save from big troubles ... :D

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:28 pm

Etienne,

I have had the same problem with the kingpin loosening after lots of riding, especially on rough surfaces. If you can find it, you might want to try some Loctite "blue" threadlocker, medium strength.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... mber=37419

In the USA, it's available in small tubes at auto parts stores. I imagine it's also available in France. You can expect to pay about five to seven dollars or the equivalent amount of Euros. Look for Loctite product #242 or 243.

They also make a high-strength ("red") version, product #262, but that requires heating to remove, which is not practical for a skateboard truck that may need its kingpin removed, unless you're SURE you want to keep those same bushings on it all the time.

For more info, go to www.loctite.com. There's a comparison/explanation of different products and applications at http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/locti ... tRight.pdf (see page 8 for the difference between the different threadlocker products).

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:02 pm

i'm sure it exists here, i used to do press ads with this products for a boat parts importer, i did not know what it was for though ;)

thanx for the tip :D