bushing specs

Radikal Skateboard Trucks

Moderators: Keith Hollien, Mark McCree

Seth Levy

bushing specs

Post by Seth Levy » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:13 am

can someone give me a picture of the bushings? cant find any good ones on the site
Last edited by Seth Levy on Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:24 am

never mind... can someone tell me how tall they are though?

Keith Hollien

Post by Keith Hollien » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:51 pm

Seth,
Radikal bushings are 9/16", but I sand the flat(not donut shaped side) side down 1/8" to a height of 1/2". It takes just a few seconds to sand. I have a belt sander I use to trim wheels and bushings. If you have any other questions e-mail me at Hollien@mail.ifas.ufl.edu.

Later Keith, Teams Radikal & RoeRacing.

Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher

Post by Paul Keleher » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:36 pm

Does anyone know when the 70a bushings are coming

Glenn S

9/16ths inch tall -- 1 1/8th inch wide

Post by Glenn S » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:20 pm

Keith,
I had heard that Radikal Bushings are 9/16" tall as you say, and 1 1/8" wide.

Most conventional truck bushing are 1/2" to 9/16" tall but only 1" wide. Since I don't YET have Radikal Trucks, when I get some of these bushings I'll probably only trim the width to 1" and leave the height at 9/16's because I have put in a 2 1/4" kingpin bolt in my RTX's. Are you sanding the height down for use with Radikal's or conventional truck use, or both? And why?

I am waiting to put in my order when I hear that the 70a's come out so I can get a set of those in the same shipment. Any idea when the 70a's might be ready?

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:44 am

since they are so wide, do they come with washers? im using them on different trucks, cant afford radikals.

Keith Hollien

Post by Keith Hollien » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:23 pm

Seth and Glenn,
It could be awhile on the 70A bushing. Kryto said they could not make a 70A bushing. They are tring to see how low they can make one. We will just have to wait and see what happens. Mark posted on the Vendors Corner in NCDSA.about this.

I ride trimmed bushing in my Radikals, because I think 9/16" is to tall for the bottom bushing in Radikals. The top bushing does not really matter, but I like to have everything the same so I do not have check to see what is what.

I have a set of Indy 101's that I keep on my "run out of gas model"(ie, car board) and the king pin is to short for untrimmed bushings. I have to have timmed bushings to fit on the king pin. No washer comes with the bushings. I will say I do not use a washer on the bottom bushing, since the base plate on a Indy is big enough. I use one washer between the top bushing and the lock nut(same on my Radikals). The Radikal bushings work better than any bushing I have used in my almost 40 years of skateboarding. I leave the diameter alone and it works just fine in my Indy's.

See my above post for how I trim my bushings. As before any questions feel free to contact me anytime.

Later Keith, Teams Radikal & RoeRacing.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:09 pm

Keith,
OK thanks that explains why you trim down the height. I like switching out the stock kingpin on my Tracker RTX and MidTrack to 2 1/4" from the stock 2" one so I can use taller bushings which seem to me to give the truck a smoother full range of turn and better return to center when using high-rebound urethane like the Radikals or Stimulator bushings. Also would you personally see yourself using a 70a with your Radikal trucks? Or are you wanting them for lighter riders?

Seth,
I have heard for Indy's that some people are shaping Radikal Bushings to be just like the stock Indy bushings shape or like Bone Hardcore shape. Or you could just shape the o.d. down to fit the hanger cups, just leaving it round and not make the cone shaped bushing. Either way it is approximately 1" outside diameter (o.d.) to fit the hanger cups, but you be the judge on that.

For Tracker RTX/S, MidTrack, etc. you could do the same cone type shape or also just basic round. But again since Radikals are 1 1/8" o.d. and you should trim them down to about 1" o.d., or a tad less, to fit the hanger cups.

For Tracker the stock bushing-washers will fit a 1" o.d. round shape or a cone shape of course. But for Indy's the stock bushing-washers will fit the coned shape bushing only because the washers are too small for a full 1" o.d. round shape. You could just use flat washers instead.

To shape down the o.d. and/or make a cone shape of any bushings put the bushing on a kingpin bolt and use a nut and some washers to hold it on so it won't slip, then put this in a drill, that spins the faster the better. You could just put the spinning bushing up to either a grinder like Chicken uses to trim wheels (click here), or I put mine up to a bench-grinder which has the same type of metal grinding wheels. I like resting the bushing on the rest that my bench grinder has so it does not jump around. Or if you want you could with the bushing in a drill put it to a Belt-sander or a Dremel. Or put the bushing on a drill press and use a file (my friend Steve Collins does it this way and it is so easy too, but I don't have a drill press), or sanding block with 80 grit paper, or whatever works to take it down. I'm sure you get the idea here, but it is best to keep it spinning so that you keep it round.