Wedge, De-Wedge, Risers for Radikals?

Radikal Skateboard Trucks

Moderators: Keith Hollien, Mark McCree

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:56 am

I'm just curious.

Radikals have a very different baseplate shape than a typical truck. Are there any special wedges or risers being used? Is there a need for special risers or wedges?

Are skaters wedging, de-wedging to change the steering geometry, or raising the trucks up for wheel clearence?

Also, what is the geometry of both the front and back Radikals?

Gareth Roe
RoeRacing Team Captain
RoeRacing Team Captain

Post by Gareth Roe » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:00 pm

Glenn-
The Radikal trucks are excellent, smooth, precise, quiet (if that matters) and excell in tight courses. Mark nailed it with these babies! Radikal will have risers available in the very near future that will match up with their baseplates. However, regular risers work great. I found that if I use a small (5*) wedge up front and a flat 1/4" riser in the back on a board that has been drilled with a 17" inner hole to inner hole measurement I get great, responsive turning action. Keeping the back truck flat works great for me on a shorter, stiffer board. Wedging the rear works great on a longer, softer board. And on the new S-camber boards, I have to really de-wedge the back truck to make it turn less. The S-camber boards slope upwards at the tail and tend to have more rear steer than a flat deck or a cambered deck. S-camber board set-up in itself, is a topic for another forum so I won't get into it here!

The front trucks are 45* and the rears are 40* (MARK - PLEASE correct me if I am wrong here!)

If you have a set already, try playing around with them on different angled risers until you find what works for the particular board you have them on. If you don't have a set yet - GET SOME! You won't be sorry.
Later-
Gareth

Keith Hollien

Post by Keith Hollien » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:49 pm

The base plates come in 45* like Gareth said but, the other plate is 35*. You can use either plate with both wings. I ride a 45* with a regular wing in front and 35* plate with a swing-arm wing in the back. For bank slalom I was trying a 45* plate and regular wing in front and back and it worked like the old DSX Radikals. I have not had much time to try other combos but, I hope to after this season is over.
Keith Hollien, Teams Radikal & Roe Racing.

Mark McCree
Radikal Trucks
Radikal Trucks

Post by Mark McCree » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:33 pm

Gareth,

So glad you like the trucks. Keith talked about the base plates and the risers. They are available. Noah just got 2 of each.

I was very pleased with the reception the product got at the worlds. All the hard work and $$ paid off. 25 years of RADIKAL is just the beginning!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mark McCree on 2003-10-05 15:34 ]</font>