WTB- cheapish rear truck upgrade

Slalom Skateboarding Equipment
Keenan Thompson

WTB- cheapish rear truck upgrade

Post by Keenan Thompson » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:38 am

looking for a used rear truck upgrade. pretty open to try anything other than an rts, which is what I'm running now.

Eric Brammer

RTS upgrade

Post by Eric Brammer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:31 am

Not to intrude here, Keenan, but look around for a small machine-shop that caters to motorcycle or car fixes. If they have a lathe that can thread 8mm hardened steel, a jig that can do center-bore reaming of your hanger (remember, hangers are Aluminium, and not "square" in shape, so the jig has to adapt to the hanger, and the ream needs to work Soft metal), then they can re-fit your Tracker with a trued 8mm axle. This will increase traction and feel considerably. It's the stuff Geezer-X used to do, and my Geezer-tweaked trucks are really pretty darn nice.

Of course, if anyone has a nice, burly rear truck up for grabs, help this man out!
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Keenan Thompson

Re: RTS upgrade

Post by Keenan Thompson » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:12 pm

Eric Brammer wrote:Not to intrude here, Keenan, but look around for a small machine-shop that caters to motorcycle or car fixes. If they have a lathe that can thread 8mm hardened steel, a jig that can do center-bore reaming of your hanger (remember, hangers are Aluminium, and not "square" in shape, so the jig has to adapt to the hanger, and the ream needs to work Soft metal), then they can re-fit your Tracker with a trued 8mm axle. This will increase traction and feel considerably. It's the stuff Geezer-X used to do, and my Geezer-tweaked trucks are really pretty darn nice.

Of course, if anyone has a nice, burly rear truck up for grabs, help this man out!
oh not intruding at all Eric. getting my rts modded locally was not something I had considered... actually now that I think of it, there's another eric in my town who has a cut down rtx that I'm pretty sure he had done locally. I'll have to look into that, thanks for the tip.

I had thought about picking up a geezer-ized seismic, but with the spring install also, it's closer to $100... getting to that point where I'd just as well get a full precision.

but anyway, I'm pretty lazy and cheap, so I was hoping this route would work out. ^_^

Dave Larson

Trucks for Kennen

Post by Dave Larson » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:28 pm

you have mail
not so only,lonely,slalom sk8ter

Keenan Thompson

Re: Trucks for Kennen

Post by Keenan Thompson » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:07 am

Dave Larson wrote:you have mail
I can't find any new mail... ?

Dave Larson

Trucks for Kennen

Post by Dave Larson » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:36 am

You might ask Burt . He has a old RTS that Sk8kings used to work over and sell a few years back.Longer 8mm axle faced hanger.He got this from a deal on some slalom stuff that I hooked him up with.I have a 110 Seismic green springs you can try.If it works you can have it. Dave
not so only,lonely,slalom sk8ter

Peter Metzger

Post by Peter Metzger » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:11 am

I've heard that a randal 125 on a 35* baseplate can be a good upgrade from an RTS (which is what I'm also currently running) but I haven't been able to test it out yet.
I'm new here.

Keenan Thompson

Post by Keenan Thompson » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:09 pm

Peter Metzger wrote:I've heard that a randal 125 on a 35* baseplate can be a good upgrade from an RTS (which is what I'm also currently running) but I haven't been able to test it out yet.
yeah, the cut-down randal 125's are pretty awesome, I've been able to try a few. I was starting to learn towards ordering one from skatekings, but luckily Dave hooked me up with an old seismic 110, and it is rocking so I'm good on rear trucks for the foreseeable future.

thanks Dave!

(now I need to find a decent front truck upgrade! anybody have a skennet for sale?? ^_^ )