TTC/3TC wanted

Slalom Skateboarding Equipment
Mike Johnson

TTC/3TC wanted

Post by Mike Johnson » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:35 pm

After finding out how the rear truck pushes round when you hit it hard enough and even though i've tightened it till it screams i decided its time for me to step up and go for a traction control set up. Yes i tried one and it works. So if you've got one lying around and you dont need it i'll pay cash via paypal. Cheers.

Glenn S

OS Truck

Post by Glenn S » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:27 pm

Mike,
If you want a TTC you really should also consider an OS Truck from Airflow.
viewtopic.php?t=1304

If you get an OS Truck you will get a truck that has many fixes that the TTC should have had. 8mm axles (not 5/16" like the TTC), fits the RTX baseplate perfectly (the TTC hanger does not sit flat on the bushing, it leans toward the pivot, or at least mine does on both RTX or an Indy base), rounded pivot head, bushing cup on both sides of the hanger (not just the bottom).

Also you can get it for the price of a new TTC ($132 shipped). And if you wanted you can get it in a smaller hanger than the 110mm. Chris Hart of Airflow said that you can get it in 95mm if you make a special request.

And if you get someone else to go in on a couple with you, you can split the shipping cost with them. Economy shipping which is tracked and insured is $32 for up to 5 trucks, or $40something for Express.

But verify everything I just said with Chris Hart and/or Martin Seigrist.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:45 am

Mike, Gary Holl is selling two TTC's for a good price, his email is floating around here somewhere. The TTC's work great. TK

Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:07 am

Thanks for your replys,

I'm checking out the Airflow OS and the TTC, my hearts kind of set on the TTC for some nostalgic reasons and i've sent Gary Holl a PM on his sets. I'd like some feedback on the airflow though just in case, who uses it, does it work etc etc? Does an 8mm axle make a difference honestly? I have people to try and beat, must go faster.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:03 pm

Mike I did order an OS Truck, acually a couple. Went in on them with a friend so we split shipping, have not gotten them yet. I don't mean to just bash the TTC, it is just that improvments are improvments and all of what I called improvments are things I've heard people wanting or complaining about, not just me. The OS truck is used in Europe, I don't know of anyone else in the USA that has one. I noticed one in some pictures of Maurus Strobel's deck when he beat Luca Giammarco in Antibes last year. We choose the slow shipping price and should get them in a week or a tad more. I'll post up some detailed pictures when I get it.

Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson » Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:33 pm

Thanks Glen, the thing is i bend axles easily and my rts axle has already gone banana shaped due to heavy use. I skate my set ups constantly so an expensive race truck has to withstand some hefty punishment like dropping off kerbs and popping up them. I make no apologies for hard skating and i must admit paying £80 uk quids for a truck i want it to stay in one piece for a year or so. Feedback welcomed so i'll make it an invite to any manufacturer who can offer an OS truck that will stay in one piece get in touch.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:55 pm

Mike Johnson wrote:Thanks Glen, the thing is i bend axles easily and my rts axle has already gone banana shaped due to heavy use. I skate my set ups constantly so an expensive race truck has to withstand some hefty punishment like dropping off kerbs and popping up them. I make no apologies for hard skating and i must admit paying £80 uk quids for a truck i want it to stay in one piece for a year or so. Feedback welcomed so i'll make it an invite to any manufacturer who can offer an OS truck that will stay in one piece get in touch.
Have you actually heard any negitive feedback about the OS Truck? Or is the above a blanket statement to all offset truck makers? I just feel that the solid hanger could only be better Structurally than a welded offset, be it an OS Truck or TTC. I have personally seen and heard of many welded offsets that bent.
Last edited by Glenn S on Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson » Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:02 pm

Typo Glen, for OS read "OS,TTC, etc etc" I havent read anything or seen anything that would put any of the above in the scrap bin but i like to see gear that is hard used and has survived.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:10 pm

Mike,
One thing I think is that any skater should probably not be doing big airs or even riding over things like driveway entrances with your slalom gear, be it Conventional trucks, TTCs, PVDs, Radikals, whatever, if you don't want bent Axles. It is only an 8mm (or 5/16") shaft, and eventually I think that all trucks Axles might have the propensity to bend if stressed to hard.

But I do think that a Hanger could for the most part be made strong enough not to bend. My feeling is that welded tabs onto a 5/16" shaft just introduces another area for failure.
Last edited by Glenn S on Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson » Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:37 pm

Yes i suspect you may be right in that respect but wouldnt it be great to skate your race board everywhere?

The axle engineering always confused me when i have a set of ACS 650's that have survived 25+ years of abuse and still run true when an axle with 12 months use bends.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:50 pm

Then maybe a big portion of this boils down to what metal is used for the Axles. But I do think that welded tabs onto a 5/16" shaft are a weak link.

I even have some PVDs that were perfectly straight when I bought them and are now a bit bent and I never rode over big bumps. Wait, I did hit a raised road reflector or two at WLAC though.

And how much extra would the optimum metal for axles cost the end user? When you start spending $100 for a truck maybe a few more dollars might be worth it. I had to send in my TTC to Geezer-X to fix the original axles that were bent. I first thought that maybe the hanger was drilled wrong, but that was not the case according to Geezer-X. They just got bent over time.
Last edited by Glenn S on Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson » Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:58 pm

Well i'm going to throw caution to the wind and make some serious inroads into the Airflow trucks info, they are twenty quid cheaper than the TTC.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:55 pm

Mike, You know also maybe with axles that are screwed in like the TTC or OS-Truck, maybe you could have Chris send you an extra set with the deal or just get new ones if the originals bend. Any machinist could easily thread some new 8mm 4140 CrMo for you.

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:28 am

I'm no rocket surgeon, but.... Aluminum w/ a threaded "steel /titanium " axle would be the weak link in the formula!! I love my TTC's and Radikals, but don't do no "curb hoppin'" on them!! I also wouldn't take an Indy or Formula I car 4 wheeling!!!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:22 am

Yeah but i think you missed the general flow of the points later on, its possibly stupid to hit vert and street with offsets etc but i'm looking at my acs650 and tracker rt/s together and wonder why one would bend and the other wont. Perhaps my analogy of street use was a bad one, you see i hit my local slalom spot and skate back home down some steep hills which sometimes includes dropping down kerbs, going over rough ground and avoiding obstacles. I was wondering how an offset truck would put up with it. It looks like they wont, thats ok it just means taking another board more suited to hard use and puttting my race deck in a rucksack.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:04 pm

Mike,
Are you sure that your Tracker was not out of alignment before you even stepped foot on it? I have yet to buy one that was not. And I'm talkin' by quite a bit. At least the fifteen or so hangers that I have bought new. I think that the problem might be that they cast the axle in and the heat bends it. Or maybe they bend it slightly so it won't slide out ;-) Or it really just could be that acs used a better axle.

And Dave I don't think you'll see axles pulling out or acutally breaking, but there might be a slight weakening ,of the 8mm or 5/16" rod, where the threads start. Maybe an inset before the inside threading would help.
Last edited by Glenn S on Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:01 pm

Glenn,

Yes it was a tiny little bit out but nothing to write home about and didnt really affect performance that much but i noticed after the last slalom session i had last week that i had some bad wear on one of my avalons just on the inner lip and noticed the axle was out. I put it in the vise and bent it back,put it back on and it feels ok

Side note; You know i havent really bought a truck over the past 5-6 years that i could totally say i was happy with quality wise, the only decent set i have were second hand Indys and they were perfect. Problems i've had are uneven cast baseplates, misaligned axles, loose axles, miscast hangars one truck had the nut thread start half way down the axle. I had a certain truck feel hot on the hangar when i picked it up after a run and found that the axle was revolving in the hangar luge style Its the same with wheels, apart from 3dm's i've had wheels with misaligned cores, funky 1cm bubbles, splitting thane etc.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:49 pm

One thing I'd like to add here is that having the whole axle, spacers, bearings, setup more precise fit and tight could only help make the whole thing stronger.

If you could tighten the whole thing down tight I would only think that makes it stronger and less susceptible to bending.

So having the hanger face machined properly, 8mm axles so the bearings are a tighter fit, spacer that is the right size, and everything in alignment and tight.

If you have to back the nut off just so the wheel spins is not good. Hey but I do it all the time :-?

Sean Dawkins

127mm TTC

Post by Sean Dawkins » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:17 am

I've got one available. What's it worth to you? Am in CO so call me @ 502-718-0800. SD

Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:30 am

Its ok now bro i've got an Airflow OS on order, going to try that out first, thanks anyways.