Wedged riser...

Slalom Skateboarding Equipment
Seth Levy

wedged riser...

Post by Seth Levy » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:01 am

i need wedged risers. now you say, thats easy, and give me some links. i need them to be able to fit on acs 500s. the metal baseplate kind. the only brand i found that works so far with them are rad pads. i dont have any wedged rad pads. do you?

ps and i saw the ones on ebay. they are perfect, except for the price tag which im sure will go up.

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

wedged small hole pattern

Post by Dave Gale » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:12 pm

Seth,
I would alter a normal patterned wedge..even cut it down a bit. You won't find any cheaper(if at all than the ones you've found.)
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Barry Gourley

risers

Post by Barry Gourley » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:56 pm

Seth, where on ebay did you see them? what did you go under???

I've went under skateboards and really dont see anything worth a s##t

Barry
Thanks,
Barry

Matt Homer

Post by Matt Homer » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:57 pm

Make your own using Faucet washers found at any hardware store. Works for me

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:38 am

here is an ebay auction. not the one im bidding on though, thats a secret ;)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=16265

Paul Howard

Wedge Smedge

Post by Paul Howard » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:57 am

Hey! I got tired of looking for steep enough risers to suit me so I started making my own out of wood. All you need is a hand held coping saw, a block plane or sureform plane, a pencil, an nail for a punch, a drill and some steady hands. A vice or clamps are VERY handy but not entirely neccesary (almost though). I wrapped mine with cloth soaked in wood glue( to prevent cracking under stress) then varnished them. Yes, it's a hassle but you can customize to whatever angle you want and put in a 1/8" riser pad for some shock dampening if you want, plus you'll have that smug warm fuzzy feeling knowing you did it yourself. Good luck-Paul Howard.
I just dig slalom!

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:29 am

Hey Seth, don’t spend your money on those colector items. You can transform any wedge riser to fit the ACS hole pattern. If you lend me a couple of identically-angled wedges and a baseplate, I can even do it for you.

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:04 am

Now Wes.. isn't that what I said originally?? My term "Alter" was refering to drilling /punching/boring holes in a new school wedge to fit dem ACS's!!!
The only difference is ..I'd do mine in the comfort of my shop or home...you'd do your's at the starting line, or in your hotel room at 2:00 a.m before a race!! Same outcome, different tactic..hehhehehehe
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:11 am

Dave Gale wrote:The only difference is ..I'd do mine in the comfort of my shop or home...you'd do your's at the starting line, or in your hotel room at 2:00 a.m before a race!!
Wes will be late for his own funeral. The mortician will be delayed drilling the trucks from old school to new school on his coffin.

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:39 am

wes, i may have to take you up on that offer. i have two spare acs 500 baseplates. email me the next time you are going to the ditch or to the park and ride and ill meet you there. thanks for all the tips. there were 2 minutes left in the auction for these one set of wedged rads and they were at $20. i saw this thread and decided not to increase the bid.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:49 pm

Sure, Seth. Make sure you bring two identically-angled wedges too.
The weather forecast looks a bit cold to be riding outside though. I’d be more up for riding the Vans park or just arranging to meet somewhere. Or this weekend perhaps Fountainhead, because it is surrounded by trees that block the wind.

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:51 pm

do you think the soft vision risers will work or are they too hollow? boz hooked me up with a set Image

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:05 am

They'll work. I use some Gravity risers that are plastic, have all kinds of cutouts and only have holes that are specific for nüschool trucks. They work well enough since the deck is drilled with the proper hole pattern (classic). When the locknuts are snugged down, it's fine.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:20 am

Brent@abec11.com just got in some risers which are the exact same shape as the typical 13 degree ones that come in soft Black, medium Clear, and slightly harder than the mediums in Red and have the squre void in the bottom. The ones the Brent just got in are not yet listed on the Abec11 site yet. Just contact Brent via email about them.

But they are solid with no void on the bottom. And they are much harder than the ones I mention above. They smell like walking into a tire store and are solid black. they weigh a bit more than the others too. If you don't mind a little more weight I think these new ones that abec11 have are better.

Seth the one in the picture above are 5 degree's I think and are very soft.

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:37 am

Do yourself and your board a favor!!! Nix the voided risers and take something solid and drill 4 holes in it/them to make the contact more secure!!!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:47 am

i dont mind the extra weight, but i use these risers flat on all my other decks. i may be interested in those abec11 onces though, depending on price and availability. in the meantime, wes, whens a good time/place for you? any time after 2:15 works for me (school) but im sure you have work.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:21 am

Seth, I probably should’ve asked this before, but what is the hole pattern on your trucks like? Are the holes spaced the same width as today’s standard patterns (1&5/8” center to center)?

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:27 am

My statements were made under the "assumotion" that they were the OLD figure 8 style ""xcaliper" teeny bast plates! If not, I take everything back!!!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:30 am

thats weird, i posted but it didnt show up... anyways, wes, the holes are closer together both vertically and horizonally. does this mess me up as far as the risers go? im going to try matching them up today.

and mr gale, i dont know what you are talking about, sorry.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:22 pm

You may have to obtain some solid wedges like what Glenn mentioned previously. Check your message box.