What do you think about this board??

Bahne Slalom Boards

Moderator: Stan Strocher

Benjamin Felgerolle

What do you think about this board??

Post by Benjamin Felgerolle » Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:14 pm

hi,

I've just bought this board... :

Bahne blackhill stiff + tracker trx front +rts rear + 3dm cambria 86a front, 78a rear, stimulator "soft" bushings...

What do you think about that??? Nice stuff or crap ???

Simply notice that i'm coming from downhill, so i'm a beginner in the world of slalom...
fun is not a straight line

Rich Stephens

Post by Rich Stephens » Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:42 pm

I'm just getting into slalom (from vert) and everything I've heard is that the Bahne set up you mention is a very good board for getting started in Slalom.

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:19 am

Nice first slalom setup. Watch out for wheelbite in front. You may need an extra riser, or trim the front ala Tim Keasbey. He is a registered user here so you can find his e-mail if you have questions.
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

bahne

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:33 am

It is a great first deck- very stable with a large platform to balane on. Also all the of parts are also good (even the grommets) so when it comes time to diversify your quiver you can swap lots of the parts around. Buy just 4 more Cambrias (2 pairs) in varying durometers and you have a great TS selection of wheels.

As you progress you can send the front and rear truck to Geezer -X for modification. Essentially nothing is wasted. The trucks can swap from GS to ts decks.

Buy a few Avalons and you can even run Hybrid on a medium slope with the deck and expect very good results- not something we would normally expect for a starter deck.

Eventually you'll likely retire the deck for a Fiberglass composite deck but by that time you'll take a few worn out wheels and give it to another Newbie.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Benjamin Felgerolle

Post by Benjamin Felgerolle » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:48 am

Thanx for the infos...

I'll receive the board tomorow... I'll put extra riser pads in order to avoid wheelbite...

By the way, what do you suggest for a composite deck for me in the future????

Think that it's hard ( or fu**ing expensive) to get US gear in France....
It's possible for me to get a turner GS hybrid at a still reasonnable price... Would that be a good choice????

ROE boards also have a very good reputation here but i don't know how to get them at a reasonnable price... They're impossible to find in France...

'Cause if i order US gear on the website, i'll pay : the deck+shipping+import taxes.. A board that costs 250usd in the USA, will cost something like 450usd or even 500 for me in France....

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

I could bring a deck to France for you.

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:06 pm

Well I have no problem bringing boards to France for people. Just arrange for the deck you want and I'll hand carry it next time I come over. Decks don't take up much luggage space. Carbon fiber Roes weigh almost nothing so again for weight issues it is no problem.

I believe that one of the joys of this sport is all the different gear and that so much has its own personality in regards to the way it feels and rides. While being a Roe Team rider I still encourage skaters to buy anything they like and that a good quiver of Decks, wheels, trucks from various manufacturers will make you more prepared as a racer. I'll often switch decks mid competition and when I competed in Europe in the 90's I rode Turners and S-cambers according to whatever fit the course best. Last time I was in Paris my Roe Bottle Rocket (made days earlier) was too stiff for me so I rode a Supraflex aluminum deck (I believe made in France- they were selling them at the race), which for the available alternatives worked okay for the straight slalom, though I did miss my bottle rocket greatly. Having ridden a variety of decks at least made it possible for me to make that decision.

Turner already has distribution in Europe and since the Turner Distributor is a friend of mine I wouldn't want to interfere with his distribution, but I certainly would like to offer that if you want any slalom deck or product that isn't offered in Europe ie. ICK, Pocket Pistol, Roe, I would be happy to bring one or several decks in for you along with PVD or Radikal trucks. If you wanted me to bring a lot of decks I would have to make them appear used Ie. I would just get the grip tape dirty and you would regrip them if you wanted or rinse them when they arrived. That way I could explain to customs that they were my personal race stock. I have enough photos to explain that I am a racer and need many decks. I'm happy to carry a single deck free of charge, but if you and your friends wanted a bunch of decks or trucks I would charge something per item, give up some of my luggage allowance and just buy clothes when I got to France. Currently there are some excellent airfare prices to Paris - one next weekend in fact for $242 roundtrip.

Also I don't mind selling all of my personal racing gear while traveling and going home with nothing.

I certainly will make it to the Trocadero contest(s) as well as a Brands Hatch Contest in the UK, and the European Championships next year. I also may connect through France for other trips, though I prefer to fly on Iceland Air (hottest stewardesses) or Northwest . Recently though with the KLM-Northwest-Airfrance merger it is likely I will route through Paris for much of my travel.

Enjoy your new deck, ride it as much as you can, and by Spring l'll come over to Paris with any hard to find gear in tow.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Benjamin Felgerolle

Post by Benjamin Felgerolle » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:07 pm

if you come to France with this kind of gear we can't find, i think you'll have a lot of customers, especially in the trocadero world cup...

Nice suggestion indeed ...