SEND DOMINIC TO DURANGO!!!!!!!!!!! [Event postponed]

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

George pappas

SEND DOMINIC TO DURANGO!!!!!!!!!!! [Event postponed]

Post by George pappas » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:35 pm

I'm sure all remember the generosity of the skate community last year when you all pitched in and sent me to Sweden for the World Champiomships. It was an adventure I will never forget. Well it's payback time.

As you might know, I am hosting the first true mixed discipline skateboarding event to date here in Durango on the 12th and 13th of September.. in less than two weeks. Down Hill, Super G, and extremely fast slalom. The USA has some great riders who have a very good chance of taking home the combined title, Zak Maytum,Jason Mitchell, Misho Erbin, Joe mcclaren, Martin Reaves and Scoot Smith to name a few....But we really need international representation to make this a quality event, So I, as the promoter of this event, have ponnied up $500 towards Airfare to bring the '08 World Champion and one hell of a down hiller to Durango for this historic event. Wish I could afford more but thats all I can do.

If you all pitch in a few bucks, then Dominic Kowalski can get his rock star self over here and school the North Americans on our own soil. Air fair is about 900 Euros and so he is well on his way.....

Please Contact Donald Campbell to pay pall your generous contribution directly to him... Sorry Dom, you cant touch the money... I will post a paypall account as soon as donald reads this post and gets back to me...

The future of Skateboard Racing is now and we need the best skaters to be here for the race and I truley believe Dominic Kowalski is one of the best all around racers on the planet.

Thanks for helping bring "The Great European Hope" to the states, and thanks for giving me a chance to help pay back the favor you all did for me last year

George Pappas

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:11 pm

Didn't know Scoot and Mischo did slalom. Go Team Green ;) Go Centrax!

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

George pappas

Post by George pappas » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:26 pm

I wish you could make it too, Ramon. This really is the future of our sport..Higher speeds, faster courses.... misho and scoot are about as good at slalom as I am at DH..... Super -g evens out the split.....

So who's in? Lets get Dom over here.......

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:03 pm

I bet money on Zak.

otherwise I'd bet it on me ;)

No, seriously, have a great time guys! Looking forward to making it next year!!!

rmn

George pappas

Post by George pappas » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:05 pm

throw a few buck Doms way so he can make a run for the money!!!!!

George pappas

Post by George pappas » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:07 am

so the City of Durango has revoked our permit for the race. It seems that the Fort Lewis college has decided that the liability issue is just too big....even though state institutions are immune to liability lawsuits and we have a policy twice what the city requires.....

I am still commited to having a racing event here in Durango and will just chalk this up as a learning experience....

thanks for the support of everyone....and Dom will just have to keep kiling it on that side of the pond for now...

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:52 am

lame! How can they revoke such a great project?

rmn

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:25 am

on behalf of pavel i want to thank all eurpean riders for the strong interest shown.

we will definitely keep this in mind for the future
thank you again for your eager participation and involvement.

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:07 pm

Thats a shame George.

I have fond memories of Durango, I learned to snowboard at 'Purgatory' and got my board from Tim Windell....

If only people would realise that events like yours attract money to towns. Nowadays thats doubly important. A town with a snowboard, ski, and mountain bike heritage cant rest on its laurels.

Hope you get it sorted for a future date. Id love to go back, its a great town!

George pappas

straight from the horses ass,

Post by George pappas » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:07 am

George,

The President, the Provost, Vice President Sexton and I met to discuss your proposal to hold a skateboard event on the Fort Lewis College campus. Given the liability associated with the downhill and slalom skate jam, coupled with the marginal benefit to the College, we will not approve the event. Furthermore, the front hill entrance to the College will remain open on September 12th and 13th.

Sincerely,

Steve

Steven J. Schwartz
Vice President for Finance and Administration
230 Education Business Hall
1000 Rim Drive
Durango, CO 81301

Phone: (970) 247-7196
Fax: (970) 382-6948

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:21 am

Does he realise the benifits of holding a race?

I have been involved with the IGSA race at Eastbourne, England, Mischa and Scoot were there, along with 220 other racers.

It was organised BY the local council. The local council even paved the road, without the catseyes reflectors specifially for racing.

The council do it because it promotes their town, They costed the publicity gained as over £300,000.

They had 20,000 visitors over the 3 days. If only people could understand the benifits. The first time I went to Durango was to visit a friend who was at Fort Collins.

Perhaps if you can show the people who declined your application this short article about the race we had in England, they might understand that with a councils backing an event like you proposed benifits the town exponentionally.
http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/eastbou ... 5588650.jp
Published Date:
26 August 2009
By Laura Sonier
THOUSANDS of spectators gathered to watch skateboarders hurtle down Beachy Head Road at speeds of up to 60mph at the weekend.
The short-lived heatwave brought crowds to the South Downs for the three-day event and the lack of wind provided perfect conditions for this year's Eastbourne Speed Days.
The world number one, Mischo Erban, rocketed to victory in the UK leg of the World Downhill Skateboarding Championships in the finals on Sunday.
Eastbourne Borough Council's cabinet member for tourism Councillor Susan Morris said, "We had a packed three days of adrenaline-fuelled racing with the world's best gravity riders all opting to take part.
"The atmosphere was great with the riders cheering each other on, and with plenty of spectators too, the event is generating significantly more interest every year."
Competitors of all ages from as far afield as the USA, Norway and Australia descended on Eastbourne.
The youngest freerider, aged just eight, really impressed the crowds.
The World Series now moves from Eastbourne to North America, for the Maryhill Festival of Speed.
Eastbourne Borough Council will now be working with the UK Gravity Sports Association (UKGSA) to look to bring Speed Days back next year.

George pappas

whoops

Post by George pappas » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:40 pm

I would like to extend my appologies to Fort Lewis College and Mr. Steve Schwartz for my comment on "Subject " in my above post.

Fort Lewis College and Mr. Schwartz were more than willing to consider our proposal for a race on thier property and did, in fact, give us due consideration before turning down our request. Ultimateley, I, as the promoter of this event, failed to show the college the benefit that this would have to the college and the community of Durango.

I made the above statement in haste, and while I was discouraged after being turned down. I take full and sole responsibility for my words.

I am still committed to bringing Skateboard racing to the sport savy town Durango, and on my next event will have more time and resources in order to make this event attractive to all parties involved

sincereley,

George Pappas