"The Farm" race in New York

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:03 pm

I have decided to attend the "The Farm" race and I am requesting information from any of you who can help me.

I have not traveled by plane to a slalom event and am curious to have a couple of questions answered.

#1. Do I simply carry on my boards or stick them in a bag or ? I don't really want to check them in and be seperated from them.

#2. What is the temp/humidity/weather like during this time of year. What can I expect?

#3. Any information on the course will be helpful.

I want to support the EAST side of the USA and can't think of a better way than coming over to race and reporting on your area. I have been "talking" with a bunch of you for so long, I feel it's time to pay a visit and see what you guys are up to.

Thanks for the info in advance. Anything you can post to help is greatly appreciated.

adam

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:37 pm

Of all the races East or West this race to me has looked to be one of the best. The vibe and stoke surrounding this event from posts made about it appeals to me. And the courses, being tighter and more technical are a good thing.

My one thought on this race is that it would be a good two day event. This would make it more appealing to those traveling from far away to get a good amount of skating in. Has any thought gone into making this a two day event?

And how far a drive is this by car from from Boston?

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:50 pm

Glen , Da Farm Hill is by permit from the town (they close the street for us). Base camp is the Church parking lot at the top of the hill which the church lets us use on Sat. They need the lot for church services on Sunday. A two day race on that particular hill is not an option. If someone wants to throw a race on Sunday close by that would be great. We usually have a throw down session on sunday at one of Tways secret spots which is a blast. I'll email you a vid of one of those courses. TK

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:53 pm

Adam T, expect a fast med to high difficulty course. Board length is in the 28 to 31" range. The vintage race is less tech and not as fast. TK

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:58 pm

Adam-

The best way to travel with your boards is to take the trucks off, and bubblewrap the boards together. I fly Southwest and I always carry my boards on the plane with me, for two reasons- 1) The decks can't really get hurt in the overhead compartment, especially with a healthy bubble wrapping, and 2) ICKs have a density similar to many explosives (appearantly) and the last time I checked my boards in a big duffel I had, security had to take all my crap out just to make sure my ICKs would not blow up.

Throw your trucks and wheels in a bag that you check, they will be ok.

This is advice from a well travelled slalomer!

Henry

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:27 am

Is there a DVD or Video CD that has some of the video of the last Farm event that could be passed around to see the course?

And how far a drive from Boston? I could turn it into a family visit from that area.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:38 am

Tway has a vid, email him. T

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Sun Apr 13, 2003 4:27 pm

Bummer man, looks like I won't be making Da Farm this year... I go off to college the 19th. I will plan on trying to make the DC outlaw finale!

Henry

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: henry julier on 2003-04-13 19:00 ]</font>

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:17 pm

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:40 am

Whats up Tway ?, Was that your timer that we used at Paso Robles? I think of the hundreds of runs that got timed, well maybe abot 100 runs, we only had 3-4 no times.

I liked its simplicity, How much?

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:15 pm

Glenn when you play 'da farm 2 video you'll have to play it in slow motion because we sped up the footage to make it look more exciting.

Put your DVD to 1/2 speed and you'll see the course speeds are similar to FCR speeds just the cones are a bit tighter.

Temperatures can be between 60-80 degrees being New England, but expect humidity to be relatively low. Cool evening temps. Shorts during the day.

Drive time from Boston is just under 2.5 hours- Using a special route which allows nearly unlimited speeding sub 2 hours- I'll give you directions.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:15 am

John,
Don't know where to get a Farm2 video. I email'd Tway but no response yet. I'd like to see it. If anyone want to loan theirs I'll cover shipping.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:28 am

I'll send you one, Glenn. I got your address, expect it by the end of this week.

Das ist a very good slalom event. Esp. the social aspect of it. Come this year.

Vlad.

Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:18 am

Vlad,

Did you do that video of the EastCoast contests from last year?

Brian

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:56 am

I have the footage on DV tapes, but I couldn't upload it. My work place doesn't allow us to install any cards on da work computers, and originally that was my plan.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:53 pm

Yo yo yo Arab, what's shakin'? Yea mon Jack borrowed my timer for Pasos. Glad it kept the race rollin' with very few misfires.
I’m in the process of having 5-10 units built. They are being redesigned to bust all the false starters. I hope to have a demo at the Gathering but it's not ready yet. Are you coming east? If so, I will give you the skinny on all the options, costs etc. These will probably be the last 5 or so built as demand is very limited but I have yet to see a better unit for the costs that will run duels with 2 clocks. There are a few other timers out there that are great for solo training but aren’t practical for a race.

Tk, I'm heading up your way this afternoon. What time is the last session at Rye? Can I borrow your ID card? Thanks. See you tonight.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:22 pm

13, you down to help set the Friday Nite Jam Session Course tonight? 9pm? I'll bring the kids yellow crayons. Lemme know soon and I'll refrain from going to the beer store until later. Thanks

Your Punk Friend,

Tway