Race site insurance? Where? $$$? Or just go outlaw?

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:48 am

I'm trying to get all the plans in place to put on 3 races in Portland Oregon this year. Every site owner I have talked to is requiring event insurance to the tune of $1M (yes, million) dollars. Just so that 25 or so beginners at slalom can race down a hill. The site owners range from a local university (parking lot and regularly closed street), local parks departments, and the county (to use a road for the race).

My question is to those who have put on races:
1) Do you have a source for reasonable event insurance? ("Reasonable" in my mind would be much less than a year's car insurance payment.)
2) Have you also found that your local site owners insist on insurance? Even public parks?
3) Is there an organization which already has insurance that can be leveraged for skateboard races? (Boy Scouts, athletic organizations, etc?)
4) Are most races just done "outlaw" fashion? No permission, no insurance, just do it? What problems have you encountered when doing it this way?

I WILL have races in Portland, insurance or not....
-- Pat Chewning

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pat Chewning on 2003-03-12 22:51 ]</font>

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:19 pm

Pat,
I used K & K Insurance for the Luna Slalom Jam. They specialize in sporting event coverage. The standard $1M, single day event policy ran me $240

If you have to get city permits to close a street, they will require insurance.

Find them at:
http://www.kandkinsurance.com/

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:22 pm

I'm in the process of sanctioning my race and receiving insurance through USA Rollersports.

I will post details on the process as the event proceeds.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:07 pm

66, If you can find a better deal than K&K...please let me know. I have been using K&K and they are by far the best deal that I've found so far. Thanks

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:19 pm

From what I understand (and I will post details as they are revealed to me), USA Rollersports sanctioning includes $2 million in liability for $50.

Each racer must be a member of USA Rollersports at $15 per year

I plan on paying each racers membership out of entry fees.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:48 pm

That's excellent. Now I will have to reschedule DaFarm so it's after the Red Clay Race. Thanks.

Just kidding

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:53 pm

heh heh

I don't mind deferring the fees from my race - next year Byrd, Goad, and hopefully you (Tway) will work together as a series and get the insurance cost WAY down.

There's only about 40 different racers who attend these events outside of California. Somehow I don't see people complaining about ponying up $15 a year if it increases the number of races being held.

Off to Hotwire to check fares to Boston.

Jeff Goad
dagger
dagger

Post by Jeff Goad » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:12 pm

i will be cool wit that.

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:27 am

goad? be cool? as long as you stay away from the red bulls

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:43 am

I think at those rates every racer should be a member. More money could go for Prizes instead of insurance and with more Prize money available and more races....I think it is all good.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Gilmour on 2003-06-12 18:44 ]</font>