A glance back at 07, and a look forward at 08

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Tim Cayer

A glance back at 07, and a look forward at 08

Post by Tim Cayer » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:49 pm

Hello racers,

Well, with our first slalom race now in the books, that brings to an end our 07 season. A season of firsts and lasts.

Let me begin with the lasts. It is with regret I inform you that Neil Orta and Kim Trader will no longer be associated with GSI. The GSI officials were recently notified that the 07 season was their last and that they will be moving on. I want to take this opportunity to publicly thank the both of them for all their years of work and commitment. I consider the both of them friends and wish them the best in any future endeavors. But as the Roman philosopher Seneca once said “every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end”. So while Neil and Kim will be missed both on race day and behind the scenes, it is time to turn the page for GSI.

Another last for GSI was our efforts to promote the Gravity Bike and inline (aka Dirtsurfer) racing. We first began our GB class with thanks to Neil Orta in our 2nd or 3rd season. While the inline came on board a few years later. Despite all our best efforts to attract and grow both classes, including free entry’s for GB at MCGF this past year, these 2 classes were not well attended, showed little growth, and took time away from the growing classes which are becoming GSI’s stable. If in the future GSI receives or recognizes increased interest in either of these classes we may at our discretion bring them back. But for 08 GSI is going to focus on urethane racers and their growing support of GSI events.

With that said, I want to talk about some of the firsts for 07. Beginning with a new venue, which we are working and hoping to bring back for 08. Ascutney Vermont was a hill which I at first had my personal doubts whether it could be raced. The grade and resulting potential speed seemed to be so daunting that I wondered if it would be too much. Especially for our speedboard racers. And while we did have one serious luge accident which resulted in a racer being badly injured. By the end of the day it was apparent that we had stumbled on probably one of the most technical and fastest courses ever raced. Not only had my concerns been quelled, I was convinced this hill will make good racers great and great racers challenged.

Another first was our entrance into slalom racing. This came about as a result of some of our regular speedboard racers requesting us to host slalom races. The result of that was a year to investigate and plan for 2 events. While our first attempt was rained out, our second attempt was a success. So with that under our belt we have launched ourselves into a new form of skateboard racing and are looking into bringing you some of the best slalom events possible.

Another first for GSI was the amount of racer entry’s we received at MCGF. While it is apparent that this venue and GSI’s continued success at hosting some of the best downhill races has grown this event into one of North America’s best events, it also became obvious to us that the GSI system was pushed to capacity. So we immediately began working on revamping many of the systems that take racers from registration through to scoring. We are currently reworking these systems and believe that future events will benefit from our new procedures for getting racers on the course and through the day as quickly and efficiently as possible. The end result we believe will be less time in line, on the line and more time on course. GSI has built a reputation for being progressive and innovative when it comes to hosting downhill races. Since our beginning we have introduced many new innovations and ideas, which had not previously been done in downhill racing. If imitation is the best form of flattery, we are flattered. We see the results of our innovations and ideas being used in other events and by other downhill racing sanctioning bodies. Knowing that if nothing else, GSI has left its mark on downhill racing, and that is the greatest feeling of all.

But it’s far from over. And we’re far from done! Looking forward to 08 and beyond GSI is committed to continuing our precedent setting ways. And continued efforts to bring you new and exciting venues. We are currently looking at some new venues for 08 and beyond. New procedures. And new people to help continue making GSI one of the best recognized (now urethane based) race sanctioning bodies ever.

Watch for more announcements coming soon from GSI. We look forward to seeing you in 08!

On behalf of the GSI board, thank you for a great 07! And we look forward to a better 08!

Till then keep the urethane side down.

Sincerely,

Tim Cayer

Gravity Sports International
Downhill and around the cones!