Henry J's Slalom Clinic

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:01 pm

This spring I would like to hold a slalom clinic at my school, Deerfield Academy. I have not talked to any of the deans about this yet, but I am planning to do so when it warms up (there is still 2 feet of snow outside and it's about 2 deg.) I am on their good side so I'm sure getting the OK will be easy.

Who would be interested in helping me make this a reality? Basically, I need instructors and boards so the kids can try out different brands. A timer would be great too, so we could run a simple dual and friends could race against each other.
I have a decent hill behind the library that should serve us well.

This will be a good event because, basically, a lot of these kids here have deep pockets and if they get into slalom they wouldn't hesitate to get a Pistol or a Roe (or an ICK!) right off the bat. Hell, an Hermès tie costs 110 bucks so 160 for a fibreflex or a comet complete is nothing.

So you sort of get what I am saying. A lot of kids already have longboards here and the popular thing to do is go fast and pull a bertleman in front of the ladies.

Henry
what coast?

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:08 pm

Henry, I'd be interested if it were feasable for me to make the trek. Send me some more info as you get it.

If I'm available it would be a lot of fun. I'm sure others would also like to help out and the idea is a great way to build the sport.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:53 pm

Henry,
Have you been able to ever put down cones for practice on the campus yet, and it was cool?
Glenn

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:07 pm

Glenn-

Yes I have run cones at school in the exact same spot that I am planning on holding the clinic. It was very cool- eveyone avoided my cones when driving by and a couple of kids tried the course. I never really told anyone i was running cones and foot traffic is nil behind the library. this spring I will pread the word more though!

Joe-

I will talk to people next week. I will let everyone know what's going on ASAP!
what coast?

Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:20 pm

Henry,

Let me know when and where and I'll be there!! I may not be a master, but I think it would be a good time.

Brian

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:49 pm

Is Deerfield an all-male school or is there reason for me to consider driving up?

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:00 pm

Wesley-

Deerfield is Co-ed.

Currently, there are 292 reasons for you to drive up.

Just dress respectable-like!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Henry Julier on 2003-02-16 17:02 ]</font>

Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:12 pm

On 2003-02-16 17:00, Henry Julier wrote:
Wesley-

Deerfield is Co-ed.

Currently, there are 292 reasons for you to drive up.

Just dress respectable-like!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Henry Julier on 2003-02-16 17:02 ]</font>
Respectable like? So my big Pompador, an Agnostic Front T-shirt and some ripped shorts ain't gonna cut it?

Brian

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brian Morris on 2003-02-16 17:21 ]</font>

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:54 am

I am aiming right now for April 20th, with a raindate the following Sunday. This should give us ample time to plan for the Clinic. I will speak to the Dean of Students and Head of Student Activities about the event this week, just giving them a heads up. I will also have Joe I. email them on behalf of the USSSF (Joe I will call about this) after I have spoken to them.

You may wear whatever you want!
what coast?

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:46 am

I would be happy to supply the cones- I've got about 120. I should have a timer by then and of course you are welcome to that.

I also have a mobile sound system- that you would have to get cleared by the school. And see if we can have a barbeque...I remember starving at boarding school.

Like at the First July 4th race I'll set a variety of courses of varying levels for people to try if you like.

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:53 am

Henry, this is a great idea. I will be there to help you out. I don't imagine that I will be much help in the instruction area, but getting decks set up, running for cones, taking photos, putting them on the web for you, and anything else that might be needed...then I am game.

Awesome idea, dude!

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:03 am

Hey everyone-

Thanks for the support so far! John- Deerfield food is some of the best food I have eaten! Don't worry about starving!

I ran the idea by Ms. Bradley (Dean) before lunch today and she seemed to think it would work, but told me to talk Mr. Gendron (head of grounds) to ok the road closure we would need. I will do that when the snow stops falling.
what coast?

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:24 am

HJ, I will supply a Brower Wireless timing system for the day. I can also bring 3 decks for girls to use. Terry Kirby

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:55 am

HenryJ-You have done exactly as I hoped you would when I started the Big Ick fund, "Contribute to the future of Slalom", Bravo to you, And Bravo to those that step up to help.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:15 pm

henry....I'll be there, giving lessons. I want to teach the "bite my "%#&@" girl....deal?

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:09 pm

Thanks guys!

So far we have TK, Chris, Wesley?, Cnuck? and Gilmour as instructors. We also have a timing system (thanks TK!) and plenty of cones.

The road that we need has so little traffic that it would be ok if we just set the courses up without closing the road. However I will talk to the Physical Plant people and see if we can get the library staff to park somewhere else for the day. The librarians have always been accomodating on the past so I am not worried about this.

A BBQ after probably wouldn't work, because every sunday night we have a formal sit down meal. It's one of the many traditions at Deerfield. However, I will ask if we can get refreshments and sandwiches.. that would be nice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Henry Julier on 2003-02-18 11:11 ]</font>

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:49 pm

Henry,

I'm very sorry if I mislead you. Don't forget, the week before your clinic is Ricky Byrd's race in Jackson, Mississippi. As of right now I'm really not certain that a 1400-mile round trip one weekend followed by a 2100-mile trip the following is feasible.

Trust me, the body is willing, but the wallet is weak! I'll just have to see how things shape up in the next few weeks. Again, my apologies.

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:44 pm

Wesley-

I understand completely! No worries mate.

Right now I am working on 2 things- prizes and helmets. Wheels and t shirts for the winners would be great.

Yes, it's a clinic, but it's a race too. i imagine kids coming out, racing their friends, and then getting pointers from the pros as thew walk back up. The rivalry between friends and the prizes will make for some heated competition. the timer is a huge incentive too!

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:48 pm

HJ, If you want DUAL racing (head to head) you may want to contact Bill Tway of Trac Mate. He may be able to supply a timer for your event that is dual capable. I asked him about demos or rentals on the Timing forum but I think he has been too busy to respond. TK

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:36 am

Thanks TK. I have emailed Tway.

Do you guys think going over to ncdsa and asking for prizes would be a good idea? I'm not looking for anything big- maybe some wheels, bearings and some t shirts from slalom companies. I figure this would create even more incentive for kids to race.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:01 am

I think its best to write directly to manufacturers instead of asking on NCDSA. Whos products to you buy and ride? Ask them first.T

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:33 pm

Thanks again TK.

I will email several companies (abec 11, turner, oust, etc) asking for small prizes. I think if a good pair of wheels or bearings were on the line, more people would be inclined to try and slalom. Also, if someone wins a set of OUSTS and everyone sees how fast they are, they won't hesitate to get some for themselves. This could happen with any product for that matter.

I envision the day going like this-
Set the courses by one, the start letting kids take runs against the clock or their friends, or both. Then as they walk back up the hill, they get advice from TK, ur13, and Gilmour. Then, with their new knowledge, they race again and have even more fun! Prizes will add to the stoke.

I'll keep you guys posted as to what I hear from vendors.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Henry Julier on 2003-02-19 11:17 ]</font>

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:00 pm

I've been thinking about Henry's clinic and realized something this afternoon: does any know how to get in touch with Ilva? Maybe other than e-mail?

It would be nice if the clinic showed this sport as something other than an activity for rotund old white guys and Henry. I know it sounds sexist, but it would be great if at least one woman slalom racer could show up and demonstrate what she can do. I'm not talking about some prurient exhibitionism either to attract the 16-year old guys on campus. I'm talking about someone who can show the 292 co-eds at Deerfield there is an opportunity for them also to race and enjoy the thrill of the downhill.

I would of course suggest Sandy, but if my calendar calculations are correct I doubt her delicate condition will permit any skateboard slalom racing in April? For us on the East Coast, that leaves only Ilva as a possible female instructor. Again, I know I sound sexist, but hey, this is a promotional and advertising event as well as instructional. Advertising and promotion is a sexist endeavor. Oh, well.

If either ur13 or someone else who is planning on going could hook up with her, I think it could only lead to good things. She's not only a great skater, she's a great person. What better way to illustrate what we're about and who is involved?

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:56 pm

WT--
Good call. I agree that some female representation is NEEDED. If the sport is to grow, it should certainly attempt to eliminate gender gaps.
I am sure that Vlad has Ilva's number. Afterall, he has been building her some decks.

Oh...and one mroe thing. Rotund?? Heck, dude...I did 100 pushups yesterday and shovelled snow for 2 hours straight just so I don't end up a rotund white man.
Now, back to getting in my 100 pushups for today and maybe some work done.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:53 pm

You did 100 push-ups, Brian?
Which ones, the orange or lime flavored? :razz:

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:15 pm

Brian?? I'm Matt.
And no orange, or anything. 5 sets of 20. When you think of it that way, it is not that difficult to do.

I am at 50 for today so far. My arms are killing me from the shovelling yesterday, otherwise I'd be done already.

In a month or so, I am going to shoot for 175-200 a day. But we'll see.

Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:37 pm

On 2003-02-19 14:53, Wesley Tucker wrote:
You did 100 push-ups, Brian?
Which ones, the orange or lime flavored? :razz:
Definately no pushups over here, not yet at least. I prefer grape myself.
Henry,
Do you have a club at your school for skateboarders? I'm trying to start one at my college, and try to get a bunch of skaters together and all get a bus or something to events around here.

Brian

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:44 pm

Brian-

No club here. There just isn't enough time in my schedule to organize a club. Plus, most kids are just using their longboards for transportation and maybe a few bertlemans here and there. A clinic/race at Deerfield would be the easiest way to expose these kids to slalom and competition.

I have sent emails to ABEC 11, Turner, Longskate, Pocket Postols, and Roe Racing for lil' prizes. Let's see what happens.

And fellas, let's try not to digress too much off the topic of this forum... I may be forwarding this site to student council, the deans, etc and silly arguements about push ups are sort of um...well you get it.

I want Ilva here too! I will get on it.

Henry

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Henry Julier on 2003-02-19 17:13 ]</font>

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:39 am

It's me again.

I would like to thank Chicken at Pocket Pistol Skates and Craig at Longskate.com for donating prizes for my clinic/race! You guys really made my day!

Kim Gould

Post by Kim Gould » Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:50 am

This clinic sounds like a ton of fun and I do have a question for TK - as a newbie female rider, I'd like to know what decks you're bringing for women to ride. After watching La Costa and the Worlds, I'm hooked.
Y'all are right - women inspire women.

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:10 pm

Henry-

Another aspect of the clinic to bring up is safety. Are you going to require safety equipment?
Do you plan on trying to collect equipment for people to use?
Are you making sure that if anyone gets hurt that YOU and the potential "instructors" are not liable (through release forms, etc.)? And how will you deal with those under the age of 18?
If this is on school grounds, then you may have to make sure that you cover those bases. Your administrators may be able to help answer those questions.

just some thoughts.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:22 pm

Hey Kim, the only difference between girls boards and boys is flex (softer for lighter rider) and width (narrower for narrow feet /leverage) . Sandy rides the same type of set up as me only softer and a tad narrower. The reason I am bringing boards for the girls is I have a school girl fetish. Cheers, TK

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:25 pm

Oh yeah, Sandy rides a soft Roe Bottle Rocket for most courses. Last year at the first La Costa she rode a 78' quicksilver (narrow and flexi) with Tracker Full tracks. TK

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:48 pm

The date of the clinic/race is now the 27th of April- Trustees weekend :smile: so Joe can go to church. You're gonna need to pray a lot if you want to beat me this year buddy! I wasn't aware of the sceduling conflict because my religion is sleep.

I am going to enquire about helmets. I think they are a good idea. I'll have to talk to the deans about liability and whatnot.

Henry

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:51 pm

Good call, Joe!!

Good change, Henry! Day after my birthday!!

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:07 pm

This is a good move Henry. It may now make it a little easier for me to attend as the G3 is the following weekend and I could make it all into one trip. I also have many Slalom set-ups that I will try to bring for the event.

Now if the God's can lend a hand I can include Catalina before the sk8park work begins.

Thanks Joe

Hey Joe tell Nick I hope he's been practicing this year i want to race him in a 10 cone straight Slalom. I of course will be inverted. :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Claude Regnier on 2003-02-20 15:09 ]</font>

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:19 pm

I TOTALLY forgot!

Not about easter... about Eaglebrook!!

Eaglebrook is a single sex (boys) school grades 6-9, located up the hill from Deerfield... a five min. walk. There are maybe 200-250 boys who attend Eaglebrook and in the spring a lot of them come down to Deerfield an eat our food, watch our games, etc. There are a few kids there who I am sure would want to learn how to slalom (they've seen me doing it) One kid is from SoCal and wears a Sims T shirt and claims to know Tom Sims's son. I'm not sure if he's telling the truth.

But the Eaglebrook kids are another potential goldmine for slalom! I will make sure as many of them are there as possible.

Henry
what coast?

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:09 am

Thanks to Turner Downhill for throwing a pair of Avalons into the prize pool!

Henry

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:32 pm

As long as he's smilling ! Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know as we get closer.

I still haven't done a mapquest to see exactly where I'm heading or routes yet.

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:29 pm

I now have some helmets for my clinic/race! Liability is not an issue anymore.

I will be meeting with the Deans after break, I have set a meeting time with them!

Thanks for everyone for the support. I'm looking forward to the event!

Sarah Howell

Post by Sarah Howell » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:54 pm

Hey Henry-
Us ICKS donate a shirt to your clinic. You can get it when you come down in March. Have fun.

Sarah

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sarah Howell on 2003-02-28 17:55 ]</font>

Tom Thompson

Post by Tom Thompson » Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:46 pm

Henry - Kudos to you for your upcoming clinic! Wish I could be there and meet all you guys. A long summer of racing is coming so we're all bound to cross paths.....

Your cones are on the way! Hope you can put 'em to use soon...

Ga. Tom

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:18 pm

Thanks Tom!

Thank you to Arab for donating a Herr Vaughnster complete to my slalom clinic so the newbies can try it out. Much appreciated man!

My wheels arrived from Turner Downhill.. er, Wheels, the other day. Thanks Howard!

I sat down with the dean of students on Friday and told him about the event. He said he would allow it and get the other important people to OK the race. He expressed no worries that the race/clinic wouldn't happen.

Henry

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:40 pm

Props to Glen at Solidskate for donating a gripped Road Rider Transit slalom deck to my shindig. So far we have-
ICK
Pocket Pistols
Bahne
Roe
Turner Wheels
Longskate
Solidskate
PT/George Gould

all these folks have donated prizes. Thanks!

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:15 pm

There's exactly one month untill my clinic!

So far, I have only received prizes from Turner Wheels.

Hopefully the rest will start rolling in soon!

henry
what coast?

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:46 pm

I'm proud to announce that 3 1 year subscriptions to Concrete Wave have now been added to the prize pool!
Thanks to Mike Brooke!!!

Henry

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:17 pm

We are 2 weeks away!

I still have not recieved stuff from Bahne, ABEC 11 and Roe.

Here is a tentative schedule-

Setup from 12-1 (if the instructors/groupies can get here by noon (you can have lunch here too!)) 1-2 practice, 2-3 race. The students will race in a jam format, fastest time wins. Awards will be given out after 3.
After that, maybe we can set a harder course for the good guys?

If you need directions, please email me. Or just mapquest it for Deerfield. Ma.

Seeya soon!

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:44 pm

Hi Henry!

I am sorry to say i will be unable to make it help out with your camp.

I wish you all the Best, (especially the weather,It's snowing here again today).

Hope to see you all at the Gathering.
Many Happy Pumps!

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:38 pm

Sorry to hear that Claude! :sad:

I will see you at the gathering, which isn't too far away!

On another note, we're looking at a possible chance of rain on Sunday. If we get rained out, i'm not sure if there will be a make up date... every weekend after the 3rd is totally full of events and such.

I am assiming that TK, ur13, Gilmour, Joe and Nick, Elisa and Family, PSR, Duane, and Vasocreta will be showing up if the skies work in our favor!

Henry

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:01 pm

Ok, we are definitely ON for Sunday... it shouldn't rain.

My cell is 203-376-6751, and my land # is 413-772-8263. CALL ME is you are planning on coming and leave me a message if I am out... I just need to know that everyone knows how to get here. When you get into Historic Deerfield, call me and I will skateboard around and direct you to my slalom spot.

At noon, I will be waiting in front of the Main School Building, a big brick building with 4 pillars in front. From there I can direct you to parking and we can all get food in the dining hall, if needed.
We will set a course (or 2) asap after everyone has arrived.

Looking forward to this immensely!

Henry