[FCR 2002] Some racing pictures...

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

[FCR 2002] Some racing pictures...

Post by Adam Trahan » Sat Nov 02, 2002 5:31 pm

Barret Deck on the way...

I meet many people at Avila and Morro for the first time. Jani Soderhal and John Gilmour who I have known before e-mail and have conversed with in letters over the years. More racers where at the Worlds than the Boston Marathon and well, it was a weekend of first for me being also the first organized contest of this scale.

In the mail, I received a CD from Jani of the hundreds of images that he and I shot from his little camera. I was amazed at some of the images that came forth. There were these great shots of Chicken or the Swiss guys and many other racers then one or two of Jani. Vlad, I'm going to expose you too!

I will spice up a few of the forums with these images and attempt to personalize the place a little.

I wanted to capture an image of David and here is the result. I didn't get a chance to meet him at the OSSJ 2 but came to admire his skateboarding over the years as a Dogtown roots pool skater. David and his wife make a great couple and this was the first time I had a chance to see him up close skating cone. It was my intention to capture at a minimum, a few racers, DH being one of them.

I came very unprepared to the contest photographicly speaking, but Jani asked me to "take some pictures" and with his point and shoot digital camera, I attempted to make the best of it.

I've owned a few digital cameras and have some experience attempting photography with them. I've learned that the time that you press the "shutter" release and when the picture is actually recorded is two different points in time. Using a panning technique definately helps in centering the image and illustrating motion.

This woman approached me later in the day. She was jingling and put three quarters in my hand. "Can you hold onto these?" she said in a sweet demeanor. Sure, and I put them into my pocket knowing I had this image of her in my other pocket. I did not know who she was at the time, but now I realize I had the pleasure in meeting Sharon Sidlo. Later in the day I gave her the three quarters she handed me earlier and we smiled. What a neat person...

I meet Atilla through E-Bay. He bid on a old Madrid Downhill board of mine. We ended up trading some other stuff too. At the OSSJ 2, I had the chance to talk a little while he was photographing the melee. He has great style and after seeing him in "This is not..." and now in person, it was cool to photograph the photographer. Maybe one day Atilla will join us at http://www.slalomskateboarder.com

"Nature Boy"

More racing pictures from Morro here.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Adam Trahan on 2002-12-15 09:31 ]</font>

Chris Raezer

Post by Chris Raezer » Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:36 pm

Cool pics Adam. And Sharon is one of the nicest people you could hope to meet!

Chris