Luna Slalom Jam 2005

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Luna Slalom Jam 2005

Post by Rick Stanziale » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:29 pm

April 2005 - Jackson, Mississippi

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

luna 05

Post by William Tway » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:44 pm

Ricky, How about an outlaw event @ the infamous Port Gibson Hill the day before the main event? Is it too far from Jackson? Have you ever located the hill my friend Jeff found? I'm sure I can get you explicit directions if you still have an interest in this location. About all I remember is the hill is located on an old logging road that dead ends into a loading dock and is closed to traffic. It's over a mile long with an nice grade. I may still have the pics Jeff took a few years ago. I will be in Destin next week and would be happy to find out more details if you are interested.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:37 pm

We are always ready to find a new hill especially a big one. Please get us some info.

We did take a trip to Port Gibson and looked around. Used a topo map to find roads that drop elevation. We found some nice hills and skated a few. We also found some nice hills that had been freshly repaved with a layer of tar and gray gravel on that. Ruined! We thought maybe one of these was the one you had told us about.

Road Kill Downhill brigade is jonesin' for a big hill.

Go tease the guys at www.skatems.com with the pictures. Dangle the carrot and we'll be back on the search.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:47 pm

As far as Luna goes...

My Red Bull Rep has been in the hospital with intestine blockage. He ended up with major abdominal surgery. He has just been released to go home after a two week stay. He is laid up and hurting.

I think it would be a friendly gesture to drop our generous Red Bull Rep Eddie Tanner a get-well note. Eddie has been very instrumental in getting permission for the street closings and of course financing the whole show. Without him, no Luna. He has become a good friend, so much more than a money sponsor.

Let him know the slalom community appreciates him. Thanks!

Get your wings back Eddie!

eddie.tannerATus.redbull.com

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:14 pm

Port Gibson, MS

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Copy of letter to Red bull rep.

Post by John Gilmour » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:50 am

Dear Eddie,

Just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery.

I haven't met you- but I know you are a member of the
Red Bull marketing team. I heard you were helping with
the Luna skateobard slalom race. I've been wanting to
go to the Luna slalom jam for several years now- I'm
currently recovering from about 5 surgeries having to
do with an accident in a Teleboard World Championship
race (got 4th :) ).

The 2005 Luna slalom jam next year is my goal for my
recovery.You guys are superstars. Red Bull gives
support to events that make life worth living. It
gives me something to look forward towards- whether it
be the Red Bull Urban Waves (did it), the Luge race
from the Corpus Christy Christ Statue in Rio de
Janeiro Brazil(wish I did it- think about it all the
time- was a dream of mine when I lived in Rio in
1978), The Red Bull Streets of San Francisco (wish I had the
guts to do the Luge jumping- Red Bull made Sony
Playstation Extreme Games fantasy actually a reality
), the first unpowered crossing of the English channel
using carbon fiber wings. (Someday......)

Or the many others Red Bull events or Red Bull
supported events that happen. I didn't even have to
look these up on the Web- they are part of the commmon
knowledge of cool people and trend setters everywhere.

RED BULL will never be replaced by any other energy
drink. I could care less if the other Energy drinks
tasted 5 times as good and cost 4 times less. RED BULL
has my undying loyalty forever.

And, that also goes for members of the marketing team-
even ones I haven't met. You guys MAKE SHIT HAPPEN-
while others just talk shit about making stuff happen
and either don't have the time, energy or money to
make it happen.

And I may be the one voice amongst millions who want
to tell you this but don't. I however think you should
know we think your job is one of the most rewarding
jobs in the world. You just don't make shit happen,
You make COOL happen.

So now is a time that we skaters, lugers, inliners,
base jumpers, and other crazies want to let you know
we care about you guys. If there is anything you need-
please let us know. Our network of people will try and
make it happen for you.

Sincerely,

John Gilmour
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:24 pm

Thanks John, I sent that to Eddie in an Email. He'll appreciate it I'm sure. He's one of the good guys.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:15 pm

Luna Update.

Things have been slow getting started this year. It is looking like things will be changing for LSJ 2005.

LSJ 2005 will not be held on Fondren Hill. Anyone who has a bone to pick with that hill...sorry for this.

I finally got a line of communication with the city of Ridgeland. The phone call didn't go really well. If I go with the city of Ridgeland this year my regular dates of April 15, 16 & 17 are out. The venue that was going to be used on the April dates is so nice that, at this moment, I plan to move the event date instead of go with a venue that is way off the beaten path and would have little to no spectator crowd. The April venue is booked up by a Natchez Trace Century bike ride. They use the lodge and surrounding area as a headquarters of that event.

I was looking at May 6, 7 & 8. This is Mother's Day weekend and could be tough for some husbands with family to get away. Pushing to May 13, 14 & 15 get closer to the Memorial Day St. Louis date.

What does everyone think?

I have a face to face meeting with Ridgeland next Tuesday. Something will be final by Wednesday if all goes well.

I'll keep everyone posted as things progress.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:03 pm

Ricky,

May 7 and 8 is the Gathering. I don't want to assume too much, but I guess from what Andy has posted, he's already put down his deposit for the Cardinal picnic area.

I'm a firm believer that nothing in the book says two events can't be scheduled on the same day, but having to choose one or the other is tough.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:44 pm

Thanks Wesley!
I do not want to schedule two on the same weekend. No way. I don't want people to have to choose. The Gathering is not on the schedule on this site. I know, I know, it's not a race.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:20 pm

Met with Wendy Bourdin of Ridgeland Parks & Rec this morning and she's welcoming the event on Avery Blvd. She's having a bit of heartburn in that it's on the same day as the Natchez Trace Century bike ride. This worries her because she has barricades, police, etc. all used up. I don't think we need that much as far as barricades. Only thing is the street closing barricades with signs that say "Street Closed by RPD".

I did get a late start this year and it's hurting me now. I have to get a meeting with the Ridgeland PD, get their sign off, then meet with the board of aldermen for their sign off. Time is tight for all this.

But...

Just so happens Lisa (thank you daring) knows the head guy at RPD (Sarah actually stays at their house after school every day) and has already spoken to him and he's said it's all good, he'd get the event passed through the channels quickly. With his approval the board of aldermen meeting is merely a technicality. So with out having a permit in my hand yet, we can safely say Luna Slalom Jam 2005 is a go on April 15 & 16.

It's looking like Single lane GS on Avery Friday night then Jr. Men, Jr. Women, Women's, Masters 45+ and Luna Slalom Jam all day & night Saturday. We will have a gathering after the GS on Friday, some type of lunch break between classes on Saturday and a party Saturday night after the main event.

Avery Blvd. is a mild slope with perfect asphalt. No really... perfect. Get your tight boards set up for Luna on Saturday night.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:31 pm

Ricky,
You ARE the man. (And I guess that makes Lisa "The Woman." :-)) You really go above and beyond...

Looking forward to my third Luna race!

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:11 am

:) My third Luna Slalom Jam as well. Ricky look forward to seeing the whole Byrd Clan. Bringing more Texas Outlaws this year. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:40 pm

Luna is on the NCDSA Contest Calendar.

We hope to see everyone back again this year.

I especially hope Philthy McNasty shows. It will be a classic showdown, two old school J-Town skate dogs, the closest of friends back in the day, dooking it out on their home turf. Bring it Plunkett! I calling you out to race at 200 ft. above sea level!

Mike Ohm

Luna

Post by Mike Ohm » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:44 am

Ricky, sorry I will miss this years race. Hope to see you in Athens. Did you dodge those tornados?

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Okay I'm trying!

Post by Claude Regnier » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:56 pm

Ricky, just wanted to let you know that I'm trying to make it down due to some last minute changes in next weeks schedule.

Flights are high so I may end up driving. I'll let you know by Wednesday.

Good luck and have a great time everyone attending if we don't make the trip. It's a great time.
Many Happy Pumps!

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:27 pm

Thanks Mike and Yep we dodged them, barely... I'll never forget LCO 01, there was a big storm the night before the race. I got to the hill and Carl came running over and told "Call home now!" I called and my neighborhood was missed by a twister by less than 5 miles. Whew!

Sorry you can't make it Mike, we'll see you in Athens.

Claude, If you can't we totally understand.

I'll be sending out some info emails to the racers early next week with a few maps to gathering spots and the venue.

Haven't had much time to spread the info, but rest assured it going to be a great weekend of slalom.

Why haven't I had much time, you ask? Three words...Byrddogz Board Sports!

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:50 pm

Byrddogz Board Sports

Ricky, Does this mean you opened the Shop we talked about?

Congrats!
Many Happy Pumps!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Motels in Mississippi

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:19 am

If anyone's interested, I just ignored Byrddog's better advice and got a room at the Studio Six motel on I-55. The map says it's two miles south of Ridgeland. (Ricky recommended a Red Roof Inn, but the Studio Six has a kitchenette. I like a refrigerator in the room.)

I got it for $35 a night for Friday and Saturday (single King bed.) That plus all the accommodation taxes and fees for municipal, county and state government brings my total to $427.58 for a two-night stay. (No, not really.)

Anyway, I got the room on Orbitz.com. I got the same quotes on Hotwire, but they won't tell you the property before you buy. So, the moral is you can get a decent room in Ridgeland for $35 a night. Do you really need more than a mattress and a shower with a towel and a bar of soap? Why pay twice as much for a free sweet roll in the morning?

QUICK ADDENDUM: I got online this morning and checked out Ricky's map to the race site and how far away is my motel. The Motel is at the intersection of I-55 and County Line Road. According to the map it looks like you head east on County Line Rd. about a mile or two and turn left onto Avery Blvd and VOILA! the Race site.

Am I good or what?

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Re: Motels in Mississippi

Post by Rick Stanziale » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:07 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote:If anyone's interested, I just ignored Byrddog's better advice and got a room at the Studio Six motel
you too?

we're gonna party like it's 1979

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:02 pm

Thanks guys...

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Coming your way!

Post by Claude Regnier » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:55 am

Okay, we bought tickets. Now we just have to see if they can get us in & out when the window is open.

Anybody, doing pick-ups and drop-offs to & from the Airport?

Anyone wishing to share a room with another couple?

Thanks, Claude - sk8park@bellnet.ca
Many Happy Pumps!

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:25 pm

When are you coming in? We should be able to get you taken care of Claude.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Flights

Post by Claude Regnier » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:02 pm

We are trying to get the tickets booked for arrival sometime late thursday. We plan to leave mid day sunday.

Hopefully we can get it confirmed today. These are the only times that are good for us as we have a sk8camp starting on Monday for a private school.

If it doesn't all come to gether we'll just have to bite the bullet and miss your event, Ouch!

I'll keep you posted.
Many Happy Pumps!

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Not this time

Post by Claude Regnier » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:27 pm

Hi Rick!

It's confirmed there is no way I can make it down this weekend.

Have a good time everyone.
Many Happy Pumps!

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:02 am

The weather looks like it’s going to be fantastic. I sure wish I could come.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Pipes?

Post by Jonathan Harms » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:59 pm

Hey, Ricky (or Frank or other Miss'ippians), any chance of us hitting some of those MS fullpipes while we're down there? If we're not too blown out after the races, we might want to check 'em out on the way home.

Frank Henn

Post by Frank Henn » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:55 pm

Some of our more "popular" park rats busted out our full pipe. (insert smilie of death here) It has been moved to somewhere we cant find. We do have some more but the closest ones are 1.5 hrs away. The weather has been pretty good here this week. This should dry up most of our ditches. I'd be glad to host a ditch tour whenever there is time.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:50 pm

Frank my teamate Gumby might enjoy a local pool. The bro is a Texas Pool Shark. Eddy TEXAS OUTLAWS.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:44 pm

I'd love to see some ripping at my boyhood playground, Galaxy Ditch. Is John Deere dry? Area 51 should be cleanable.

Frank Henn

Post by Frank Henn » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:24 pm

Eddy Martinez wrote:Frank my teamate Gumby might enjoy a local pool. The bro is a Texas Pool Shark. Eddy TEXAS OUTLAWS.
We'd enjoy a local pool too. Its just not going to happen.
galaxy is always dry.

51 should be cleanable.

Aztec should be dry, but might be alittle gnarly for some

Clinton should be a go too.

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:41 pm

my 4th year of racing in Mississippi

couldn't be more stoked

see you all on the hill

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:32 pm

The Luna GS Jam Session was fun Friday night. Over 30 skaters showed up to post a time on a course that was fairly easy for a beginner but had enough wide gnarly offsets to challenge an experience racer who picked up some speed. Avery Boulevard is no doubt a 10 out of 10 for a surface and the location is perfect for a race: no through traffic and easy to close with no disturbing the neighbors.

Ricky Byrd (left) let the Texas Outlaws set the course. Eddy (right) and Marcus did a great job setting something good for everybody.

The hill isn't a monster, but it does have enough grade and a perfect surface for getting some speed.

Jeff Goad showed up with the rest of the St. Louis Dagger crew and they all put down some great times

California was represented well some guy named Jack Smith bombing on a Bahne Rocker Black Hill. The way he was riding it you thing he'd owned the company or something.

Out of "retirement" after a year and a half lay off, Terri Benko came in from the Left Coast.

Keli Benko also ran the hill clean. It doesn't look like jet lag's a factor for West Coasters who head East to race!

Keith Hollien was feeling pretty good laying down a time of 20.9 and thinking he'd wrapped it up . . .

. . . until Chris Barker came along behind him to post a 20.2 to post the fastest time!

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Luna

Post by Claude Regnier » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:36 pm

Thanks for posting it sure looks sweet.

Sk8-Safe and I know I don't have to say enjoy but I can't help myself.

Have a Great Time, EH!
Many Happy Pumps!

Laura Bissell
Laura Bissell
Laura Bissell

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Post by Laura Bissell » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:50 pm

HUGE thanks to my two mentors (I'm in trouble) Ricky Byrd and Uncle Cliffy for putting on something that is ALWAYS, always, the best time to be had in Mississippi. You guys make this thing. I love ya'll.

Everyone had a great time, the race was awesome, the racers were awesome, everyone left happy.

Woo Hoo!

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:59 am

Well... I'm finally rested up and ready to say thank you to everyone that attended the Luna Slalom Jam 2005. We did have FUN! I'd like to thank all the racers who travel so far to race at this little GRS event. We scaled the race back this year but I think it actually scaled it up in the long run. There was plenty of time through the event to chat with friends and simply hang out. Some of that due to a couple of unintentional delays, just a little thing about a light tower burning down but we soon had cars lining the street to give us the light we needed to get it done. Closing the street for the whole day was a good change. It was key to holding the Jr. Men's, Jr. Women's, Women's & Master's races which really made the event special. Racing all day. The Master's race had to be my favorite. You should have heard the smack talk coming from this group. Classic. The courses were mellow and made for some great drag races, fast hard pump for as much speed as you could get was the order of the day. Cone penalty was a brutal .3 per cone. Ouch!

The Friday single lane GS was as fun as it gets. Eddy and Marcos set an awesome course that used the hill to the max. Big sweeping offsets with just the right speed. You guys nailed it! Thanks.

Thanks to all our prize sponsors Bahne Skateboards, Pocket Pistol Skates, Gravity Boards and of course Roe Racing. It was like the story of the Fish and loaves, I think everyone got a little something and we started with the bottom of the "B" and "C" classes and worked our way up. Some newbies and novies were stoked. Thanks again!

Thanks to all that helped set up and tear down. It's greatly appreciated. Thanks to my bud Clifton for putting up with my crap all day (actually all month) and doing the best job of calling out times. To Clifton's brother Kenny and my high school chum Andy for marshalling the course. To my old skate companion/roomate Phil Plunkett. Thanks for coming buddy. It's alway good to see his family come out and support him the way they do. And last but not least, my wife Lisa for putting together the awards party. It was a good one. Thanks Honey) Drop her a line for me and tell her you enjoyed it, even if you didn't... lbyrdATjamDOTrrDOTcom

Drop a quick note to these guys also to let them know you enjoyed the event.

mayor@ridgelandms.org (Mayor Gene McGee)
wendy.bourdin@ridgelandms.org (Wendy Bourdin, Head of special events for the city)
jimmy.houston@ridgelandms.org (Jimmy Houston, Chief of Police)
info@visitridgeland.org (Visitors Bureau)

Thanks to all and...

Here's some results

Friday night single lane, fastest time wins

Finish/Name/Time

1. Chris Barker 20.290 First Prize $100
2. Keith Hollien 20.773
3. Jonathan Harms 21.014
4. Phil Plunkett 21.252
5. David Pirnack 21.473
6. 66 21.623
7. Jeff Farnham 21.724
8. Jack Smith 21.757
9. Josh Byrd 21.994
10. Jeff Goad 22.013
11. Ricky Byrd 22.297
12. Mark McCree 22.811
13. Will Jolly 22.812
14. Gumby 22.883
15. Paul Graf 22.973
16. Frank Henn 23.314
17. Marcos 23.650
18. Lynn Kramer 23.681
19. Kelly Benko 23.930
20. Jon Seger 23.932
21. Andrew Eure 24.009
22. Shane Causey 24.614
23. Terry Benko 24.683
24. Chainsaw 24.733
25. Clifton Jennings 24.891
26. Larry Scalzo 24.986
27. Alston Evans 25.689
28. Wesley Tucker 26.155
29. Eddie Martinez 26.890
30. Matt Gandy 26.898
31. Laura Henn 27.522
32. Meg Balthie 28.700
33. Sarah Byrd 31.604

Saturday Racing

Finish/Name/Qual Time

Junior Men’s

1. Josh Byrd 13.770 (First Prize $50)
2. Matt Gandy 16.381

Junior Women’s

1. Keli Benko 15.279 (First Prize $50)
2. Sarah Byrd 20.028

Women’s

1. Lynn Kramer 14.130 (First Prize $50)
2. Keli Benko 14.833
3. Laura Henn 16.360
4. Meg Balthis 18.174

Master’s

1. Keith Hollien 12.596 (First Prize $50)
2. Mark McCree 13.239
3. Jack Smith 13.124
4. Terry Benko 14.252
5. Clifton Jennings 15.087
6. Eddy Martinez 15.936

Luna Slalom Jam 2005

“A” Class

1. Chris Barker 16.859 (First Prize $200)
2. Keith Hollien 17.215 (Second Prize $100)
3. David Pirnack 17.803
4. Jack Smith 18.492
5. Jonathan Harms 17.639
6. Jeff Farnham 18.326
7. Mark McCee 18.795
8. Josh Byrd 18.882

“B” Class

1. 66 19.173 (First Prize $100)
2. Phil Plunkett 18.888
3. Willy Jolly 19.253
4. Jeff Goad 19.453
5. Mark Gosser 19.296
6. Ricky Byrd 19.503
7. Frank Henn 19.607
8. Marcos 19.685

"C" Class

1. Keli Benko 21.101 (First Prize $100)
2. Paul Graf 20.898
3. Chris Wessman 20.070
4. Andrew Eure 20.794
5. Lynn Kramer 20.200
6. Jeff McCullar 20.995
7. Shane Causey 21.010
8. Larry Scalzo 21.568
9. Matt Gandy 21.795
10. Terry Benko 21.816
11. Jon Seeger 21.846
12. Clifton Jennings 21.858
13. Wesley Tucker 22.059
14. Alston Evans 23.237
15. Eddy Martinez 23.497
16. Laura Henn 24.329
17. Jeremy Coffman 24.392
18. Meg Balthis 25.611
19. Sarah Byrd 28.194

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:46 am

Byrddog,

Great race and a great effort. Everything went smooth . . . well, except for McCree breaking one of the lights, but we'll let that slide.

If you get a chance, find out what happened to the Red Bull guy? The suspense is KILLING me.

Everything this weekend was easy: the drive over, the racing, the vibe, and the drive home. With the exception of trying to get down East County Line Road to the race, it was completely stress free. The parties both Friday and Saturday were great and Lisa did an incredible job with the food.

Oh, and did I mention the weather? I'll have to think long and hard to remember a weekend when every minute of every day was absolutely perfect. It was warm but not stifling, sunny without being overwhelming and it cooled off great at night without every getting a chill. Just perfect.

Anyway, it was all good. And like I told you Saturday, I'll see all o' y'all in two weeks.

P.S. Lots of good luck with the shop. I've been down the owning-my-own-shop route before and I can really relate to the trek on which you are embarking.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Luna 2005 - Results

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:28 pm

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Tue May 03, 2005 4:46 am

Thanks Jani,
This is much better than than me sending all those emails. Next time, I'll simply remember to send them to you. :)

Ricky