Cambria Session

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Cambria Session

Post by Jack Smith » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:12 pm

We had a great session at the Cambria hill yesterday. The best part was that we had seven racers under the age of 14. These kids are stoked. All of them will be racing at the World Championships of Skateboard Racing. Bill Boothbe made most of the decks the kids were riding. One kid was on a classic mid 70's G&S, another was riding a Santa Cruz epoxy/wood model. Both decks had belonged to their dads back in the day.

The kids had plenty of coaching, helping out were Bill, Adrian, Johnny Miller and myself. Also helping with cones, video and general duties was the man we call "Big John". Some of the parents took turns recording times.

Also in attendance was World Champion Keli Benko, who is now a Bahne team rider. The other kids were amazed when Keli charged the course.

One of the highlights of the day was 11 year old Sam cleaning the 6' center, 50 cone straight, tight course.

I've said this before, and I'm going to keep saying it LOUD, we need more kids in slalom. It's great that us older guys are getting a second chance at racing, but without kids, slalom dies. I encourage all of you to get out there and recruit, share the joy. You will get such a stoke from seeing the kids ride and improve.

The day started with a visit to Billy's Skunkworks, the master is at it again. We were able to see the first Slight S-Camber proto, the brainchild of Adrian Pina. We also were shown the mold for the new wood/secret material Banshee, this deck is about 38" with concave, camber and a kicktail. It is designed to be a high-perfomance cruiser. Bill has a great ability to take someone's idea and turn them into reality. Those who have ridden the Radikal Start Ramp Trailer know what I mean.