[2004] World Championships - Super G

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

[2004] World Championships - Super G

Post by Jack Smith » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:37 pm

Adrian, Bill and I did some more testing at the Super G venue yesterday. This hill is more fun every time we ride it. As I have mentioned before the course will be exactly 1/2 mile long, approximately 45 cones. The hill has varying grades, a slight right turn near the top, a banked right turn near the end that opens up in to the final steep chute. The runout is uphill, no foot braking required.

Adrian and I are running Bahne Rocker Slalom boards, mine with Radikals and a cutdown Avila/Avalon combo, his with Radikal/Indy and Avilas. Billy is riding a Landyachtz with Randalls and Kryptos.

Adrian ran the "course" yesterday in 1:21 yesterday. A gal on a mountain bike paced us down the hill yesterday, top speed was between 33-35mph.

You will need to be in shape for this race, as you will be walking back up the hill. There will be one hour of practice, you will then take two timed runs. Your fastest time will count towards your final placing. There will be .5 cone penalty. The race will be a push start.

I am trying to charter a bus that will transport all racers to the hill on Friday morning. Photos and video soon.

If you can get your hands on the current issue of SG (Surfer Girl) magazine, there is a Sector 9 ad that shows female pro-surfer Holly Beck skating this hill.

Bill is using his connections in effort to acquire a "profile" graphic of the hill.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Profile of Super G Course at Morro

Post by Jack Smith » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:37 pm

Profile of Super G course.

Pierre-Yves Ritschard
panda
panda

Post by Pierre-Yves Ritschard » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:00 am

I think you are speaking of this hill, aren't you ?

If so, you're all very lucky to race there, looks like a perfect Super G venue.

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:12 pm

Wow! Should be really interesting....I think the Downhillers may well kick the Slalomers butts!
Jack, what length boards/wheelbases were you and Adrian running? You know how important this kind of info is to those with restricted baggage allowance! Got to check whether I need a longer bag!

Martin

Pierre-Yves Ritschard
panda
panda

Post by Pierre-Yves Ritschard » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:19 pm

The trip would be too expensive, but boy do i wish i could be there !

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Sector 9 ad - Board Length

Post by Jack Smith » Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:12 pm

Hi Pierre and Martin,

Yep, Pierre, that's the hill! It is smooth and grippy. I love listening to the sound my wheels make when I'm skating it.

Martin, the Bahne Rockers are 31". The DH guys will do well, however the first eighth of the course requires quite a bit of pumping to build speed.

Here are some pics:
The start...wide gates. double/triple pump to build speed.

First turn...still double and triple pumping.

Straightaway...swooping, full road width carves.

The big right...the course takes you from the far outside left, into the apex, then back out again.

Finish chute...you finish in the right lane. Notice the uphill runout.