[2004] Idiot of the Year

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

[2004] Idiot of the Year

Post by Jack Smith » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:22 pm

Idiot of the Year goes to me.

My skate bro, Adrian, and I were out yesterday evening doing some testing on the hill that will be used for the World's Super G race. Now this is a half mile long hill, so I came up with the bright idea of marking the course as I skated. Adrian and I dropped a few rocks into about 10 socks, to keep them from blowing away in the 20mph tailwind that was blowing at the top of the hill.

I would skate down the hill dropping socks as I went, when I ran out of socks I would stop and Adrian would follow along replacing the socks with wax crayon marks. We would then return to to the top and run through the marks, and begin dropping socks when the marks ran out. On my third pass down the hill I made the bonehead mistake of dropping the sock a bit in front of me on a frontside turn, as I continued turning, my rear wheels ran over the sock filled with rocks and I got launched. I was able to get in a couple of steps and then slid it out on my wrist braces before rolling onto the shoulder of the road. Damage was minimal, a couple of scraped fingers, a bit of road rash on my lower back, a slightly pulled thigh muscle and a bruised little toe.

After applying first aid we continued with our testing. It looks like the course will run somewhere between 44 and 50 cones spread over the half mile. It will be fast and fun.

Not only did I have "rocks in my socks" yesterday, but also "rocks in my head".

Gianluca Ferrero

Re: Idiot of the Year

Post by Gianluca Ferrero » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:14 pm

we are very happy to know that everything passed and you are well.

Gianluca Ferrero
coniskate Pres.
www.coniskate.it