[2004] [Announcement] Worlds General Information

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

[2004] [Announcement] Worlds General Information

Post by Jack Smith » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:28 pm

This is a three day event, October 8th, 9th and 10th.

Contest Dates: October 8 - 10, 2004
Entry: Open
Format: Slalom, Tight Slalom and Super G

We will post video and photos of the Super G venue soon.

Entry fee:

Pro, Open and Women - $100.00
Boys/Girls under 18 - $50.00
Boys/Girls under 12 - $25.00

Entry fees payable via PayPal.
Account name: oldskateguy@aol.com

Or mail to:

2004 Worlds
16366 Morro Road
Atascadero, CA 93422

You may also sign up on the ncdsa.co contest calendar.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Name Change

Post by Jack Smith » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:40 am

The World Slalom Skateboarding Championships will now be known as:

The World Championships of Skateboard Racing

All other aspects of the event will remain the same.

Martin Siegrist
Airflow-Skateboards
Airflow-Skateboards

Post by Martin Siegrist » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:50 pm

ehm, what about downhill skateboard racing?

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Downhill

Post by Jack Smith » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:56 pm

Hi Martin,

I would love to include downhill, however we do not have a suitable location or the time to hold a downhill event. We are having a Super-G, which I think you and most DHers would enjoy.

All the best,
Jack

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

World Championships of Skateboard Racing Update

Post by Jack Smith » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:01 am

Special Notice - Pay your entry fee via PayPal before August 15th and save $25.00, that's right only $75.00 ($25.00 for Juniors) for three great days of racing.

No Race Day entries. Only 100 spots available. You snooze...you lose

Bib numbers are based on entry fee payment. Those paying first will receive the lower bid numbers.

Events will include Super G, Slalom and Tight Slalom.

Super G - Friday

This is a half-mile long course with approximately 40-45 cones. Speeds will reach 35 - 40mph. Single lane, one hour of practice. Two timed runs, your best time will be used to determine your final placing. We will use the Radikal Start Ramp Trailer. No Junior division.

Slalom - Saturday

This is a 2.5 Block long course on Pacific Street, same venue as last year. The course will be around 60 cones. Head to head racing. We will use the Radikal Start Ramp Trailer.

Tight Slalom - Sunday

This is a 1.75 Block long course on Main Street, same venue as last year. The course will be around 50 cones. Head to head racing. We will use the Radikal Start Ramp Trailer.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Bib #s

Post by Jack Smith » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:57 pm

Wearing bib #1 - Lynn Kramer

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Save $25.00 on your entry fee

Post by Jack Smith » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:10 pm

Special Notice - Pay your entry fee via PayPal before August 15th and save $25.00, that's right only $75.00 ($25.00 for Juniors) for three great days of racing.

No Race Day entries. Only 100 spots available.

Paypal ID is oldskateguy@aol.com

Mailing Address:
World Championships of Skateboard Racing
16366 Morro Road
Atascadero, CA 93422

Super G - Friday
This is a half-mile long course with approximately 40-45 cones. Speeds will reach 35 -40mph. Single lane, one hour of practice. Two timed runs, your best time will be used to determine your final placing. We will use the Radikal Start Ramp Trailer. No Junior division.

Slalom - Saturday
This is a 2.5 Block long course on Pacific Street, same venue as last year. The course will be around 60 cones. Head to head racing. We will use the Radikal Start Ramp Trailer.

Tight Slalom - Sunday
This is a 1.75 Block long course on Main Street, same venue as last year. The course will be around 50 cones. Head to head racing. We will use the Radikal Start Ramp Trailer.

Divisions:
Pro, Open and Women
Junior Boys/Girls 14 and under

Paid Entries and Bib Numbers as of August 4th, 2004.

Name.................Bib Number
Lynn Kramer..............1
Tiger Williams...........2
Judi Oyama...............3
Atilla Aszodi............4
David Pirnack............5
Mickey Williams..........6
Adrian Pina..............7
Bill Boothby.............8
Martin Drayton...........9
Jason Mitchell...........10
Chris Chaput.............11
Paul Price...............12

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:46 pm

Jack,

I can understand that there might be reasons why you want to limit the number of participants to 100, but may I suggest a change to the rule, to read: "Limited to 100 US racers, but not limited for any other nationals".

I know there are more Europeans interested in coming (me included) but I doubt they'll sign up and pay this early. I suggest you relax the rules somewhat to encourage international participation.

/Jani

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:14 pm

Give my spot to that crazy fast Swiss Junior.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Entry Fees - 100 racer limit

Post by Jack Smith » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:27 am

Only 6 days left for reduced entry fees at the "World Skateboard Racing Championships".

Jani, at the moment there are tons of spots left. No one is officially entered until their entry fee is received.

I really don't want to have to deal with race day sign-ups. Without trying to sound harsh, information on this race has been posted since January of 2004.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:08 am

Jack,

You don't need to do race day sign ups. There should be no need for that. All I was asking for was to allow those non-US skaters that would like to participate a chance. You could close registration for all one week before or so.

Of course there's no lack of knowledge of this event. The difficulty is to make up your mind, finance the trip, obtain tickets etc.

Thank's.

/Jani

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Only Three Days Left For Discounted Entry Fees

Post by Jack Smith » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:28 pm

No Race Day entries.

Super G - Friday
This is a half-mile long course with approximately 40-45 cones. Speeds will reach 35 -40mph. Single lane, one hour of practice. Two timed runs, your best time will be used to determine your final placing. We will use the Radikal Start Ramp Trailer. No Junior division.

Slalom - Saturday

Tight Slalom - Sunday

Entry fee:
Pro, Open and Women - $100.00
Junior Boys/Girls 14 and under- $50.00 To pay an your Entry Fee via PayPal. See contest calendar for more info.

You are not officially entered until your entry fee is received.

Big Mac...got your message, everything is cool.

Alex Walters

Post by Alex Walters » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:42 am

I would love to go. I wouldn't compete but I'd love to watch.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Early Entry Discount Deadline

Post by Jack Smith » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:28 pm

A big thank you to those of you who have taken advantage of the early entry fee discount for the World Skateboard Racing Championships.

Today is the last day for the discount. Please see the contest calendar for details. For those mailing in your entry fee, an August 16th postmark will be accepted.

Just a reminder...you are not officially entered until your fee is paid.

Looking forward to seeing all of you in October.

PS - Alex, we would be stoked if you came to the race!

Alex Walters

Post by Alex Walters » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:25 am

I'll be there for all or most of the Super G and all of the Slalom. I just have a couple of questions. What time are the events taking place on friday and saturday? And exacaty where are they taking place? I'm not familiar with the area. I need to know where the Super G course is?

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

Big money cyber slalom

Post by Steve Collins » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:22 am

Hey folks - the cyber slalom cup is being held at the Morro Worlds since Breck got rained out. The purse is up to $2150. Woo hoo! Sign up over at ncdsa.

There's always a first time for everything. Time to find that flat spot for practice.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Racing Format and othe news

Post by Jack Smith » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:43 pm

Worlds Update

The A-B format will be used.

Slalom
1- 24 will be the A-Group. Qualifiers 1-8 will receive first round bye.
25-48 will be the B-Group. Qualifiers 1-8 will receive first round bye.

Tight Slalom
1- 24 will be the A-Group. Qualifiers 1-8 will receive first round bye.
25-48 will be the B-Group. Qualifiers 1-8 will receive first round bye.

Super G
1-24 will be the A-Group. 25-48 will be the B-Group. Your best of two qualifiying runs will determine your final placing. No Finals.

Another first at the Worlds will be "paid" coneheads and course marshalls.
Each course will have it's own marshall. Both course marshalls will be on an elevated platform (Bill Boothby's classic Land Rover). Thanks to Mark McCree and Radikal Trucks for making this possible.

Please remember you are not officially entered until your entry fee has been received. No race day entries.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

24 man bracketing

Post by Jack Smith » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:01 pm

Re: 24 man bracketing.

Racers 9-24 race in the first round.

9-24

16-17

13-20

12-21

11-22

14-19

15- 18

10-23

Eight of those racers advance to the second round.
Waiting for them are the top 8 qualifiers.
If the higher qualifiers won each race in the first round, this is what the second round would look like.

9-8

16-1

13-4

12-5

11-6

14-5

15-2

10-7

Eight of these racers advance to the third round.
If the higher qualifiers won each race in the second round, this is what the third round would look like.

1-8

4-5

3-6

2-7

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Super G Info

Post by Jack Smith » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:13 am

Adrian, Bill and I went out to the Super G site yesterday (no we didn't skate it), and measured the course so you folks will have an idea of what it is like.

The road is 21 feet wide. The overall length from start to finish is 2,460 feet.

The "distance down" is just as it sounds, the distance down the hill to the next cone (X-axis).

The offset is the lateral direction from cone to cone (Y-Axis)

Speed Estimate: 30mph - 37mph

Visualize it, dream about it, race it on October 8th.

<B>Super G Notes</B>

Here a few things I want all of the racers to know about the Super G event.

The site is in a beautiful hidden valley with dramatic vistas that include huge granite outcroppings.

The course is surrounded entirely by private property. The owners of this property are very protective of their land. They are also very stoked that we are racing on the road that runs through their property. This being said, please respect the property owners wishes. Do not cross over the fences that border the course. Any racer who does will immediately be DQed from the event, no questions, no second chances. There is absolutely no reason to cross the fences. Thank you for your cooperation.

There will be a port-a-potty at the top of the hill, use it. Of course do not litter, let's leave the site cleaner than when we arrived. No smoking, the central coast is in the middle of a serious drought and the hillsides are dry, meaning extreme fire danger.

Parking will be at the bottom of the course <B>ONLY</B>. If you attempt to park on the start side of the course your car will be towed. My old high school buddy owns a towing company and is looking to make a few extra bucks for his annual surf trip to Hawaii.

The racer's meeting will be at 8:10am. We will then walk up the course as a group. Practice will begin at 8:30am and last for exactly one hour. Cones will be in place for the entire practice. There will be an official sending off racers from the start ramp in 15 second intervals. When walking back up the hill use the left hand (looking uphill) shoulder, this will be clearly marked. When you are walking back up the course, please be attentive of the racers on the course.

When an announcement is made that the course is closed, anyone who continues to skate will be DQed, no second chances. Yes, this rule applies to you!

Please know who you follow in the qualifying order, if you are not in the gate within 30 seconds of your name being called you will be DQed for that run.

Each racer will receive two qualifying runs, your fastest time will determine your position. There will be no finals.

There is usually a tailwind on the top and middle sections of the course. Sometimes you encounter a side or headwind after the big right turn just before the steep finish chute.

It can be cold and foggy at the top and sunny and hot at the bottom, bring extra clothes. There is no shade at all anywhere on the site.

I hope these rules will ensure a safe and fun race for everyone. Morro Bay is my hometown and I spend a good deal of each year talking up the event and the racers who make the trip to Morro, please do yourselves and the organizers proud. Myself and the other race officials thank you in advance for your coooperation.

We are looking forward to seeing all of you very soon.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:24 am

Super G Rules Update

The racer's meeting will be at 8:10am. We will then walk up the course as a group.

Warm-ups will begin at 8:30am. The warm-up runs will be run in qualfiying order. Each racer will receive TWO warm-up runs.

Cones will be in place for the entire practice. There will be an official sending off racers from the start ramp in 15 to 30 second intervals.

There will be a .5 cone penalty. Six displaced cones is a DQ.

Poster Designs by Adrian Pina.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

World's Email Update

Post by Jack Smith » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:07 am

I sent out an email update to all the World's official and non-official entrants today. If you did not receive one it's because I do not have your email address. Please send me your email address if you would like to receive the update. There will be a few more before the event.

Thanks,
Jack

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Registration Closed

Post by Jack Smith » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:19 pm

Registration is now closed for all events at The World Championships of Skateboard Racing.

See you soon.