[2004] Worlds - Possible Venue and Discipline Change

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

[2004] Worlds - Possible Venue and Discipline Change

Post by Jack Smith » Sun May 23, 2004 3:02 am

Possible Venue and Discipline Change - 2004 World Slalom Championships

Dependent on the granting of a permit, which shouldn't be a problem, a single lane Super-G will replace the slalom cross at the 2004 World Slalom Championships.

The venue is located in the rolling hills between Morro Bay and San Luis Obispo. The surface is excellent. From a dead stop, we were able to coast up to 50 mph in an automobile. Start to finish the course will be exactly one-half mile long. There are a few mellow turns. What makes this hill fun are the varying grades. The runout is uphill.

I'll post photos and video soon.

Adrian and myself tested the hill this afternoon, you will definitely have to pay attention or your line will quickly get away from you.

Each racer will receive two runs with their best run determining their final placing.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Super G at Worlds

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sun May 23, 2004 12:12 pm

Jack,

I'm hoping to make the trip this year and I would personally prefer Super G to Slalom Cross. Not that I'm any good at Super G but personally I'll much more enjoy cruising down a real giant slalom course rather than fight my way through the gates of slalom cross.

Really wide Super G was what brought slalom back to the French scene. I wasn't there but that's how the current French longboarders came to be interested in slalom. Super G is probably more of interest to those guys than the tight slalom most of us usually do, but they're slowly learning to appreciate tighter slalom too.

I think we all enjoy the variety this sport can provide.

/Jani