Luna Slalom Jam 2004

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Luna Slalom Jam 2004

Post by Ricky Byrd » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:18 pm

I would like to ask that any racers that participated in the Luna Slalom Jam 2003 to please send me your home address to the email address above. I would like to send you a short DVD that Red Bull produced.

Make your plans now as this years event is looking like Saturday night, April 17th on Fondren Hill. This date will be set in asphalt by Wednesday of this week. The night time format makes it easy to blow in town Saturday morning, win a race and blow out Sunday. Let's do it!

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Re: Luna Slalom Jam 2004

Post by Rick Stanziale » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:54 pm

Ricky Byrd wrote:I would like to ask that any racers that participated in the Luna Slalom Jam 2003 to please send me your home address to the email address above. I would like to send you a short DVD that Red Bull produced.!
I'm assuming that would be byrddogATjamDOTrrDOTcom

Looking forward to racing down the friendly streets of Jackson, Mississippi again!

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:52 pm

True, copy/paste got the best of me.

Ricks right, send those addresses to byrddog@jam.rr.com

Meeting with Red Bull Wed. They say bigger, better this year. Free rooms anyone?

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:32 pm

ByrdDog, I’m all about the RedBull roomage.

Now, the primary reason for my post,
It is my experience that when racing at night, the white lane has a clear advantage over the red lane. Ricky, could you work on obtaining a replacement color for the red cones? I know that either yellow or soccer-orange would work. Seismic cones perhaps?

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:27 pm

I'll look into it.
Had no complaints last year that I can recall. The BMF construction lights lit things really well.

What if I ringed the top and bottom of the red cones with white tape? Or ringed both red and white with reflective tape?

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:50 pm

If there are any shadows falling on the cones, then the white stands out while the red hides.

I don’t know if the amount of tape you are suggesting would help or not, but I’m predicting that it wouldn’t.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:15 pm

I can't remember any shadows falling on the cones. We had a double halogen work light between the ramps point down the hill and three, six lamp, construction lights use for night time highway work staggered across the hill to cancel out shadows, one was on top of a two story parking garage pointing down. Like I said, things were lit really well. It just adds to the lunacy of Luna Slalom Jam.

I wouldn't ask anyone to do something stupid. Not having to course well lit is not a cone vision issue, it's an endangering the racers issue.

One comment I got was that many people practice at night under lights and they felt at home that night.

Tom Thompson

Post by Tom Thompson » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:25 pm

wes - visibility wasn't an issue at last year's race. ricky had the hill VERY well lit-up. reflective tape certainly wouldn't hurt though. it would probably look pretty cool looking down from the top of the hill....

ricky - care to divulge the type of course you plan to set? different from last year?

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:42 pm

Here is hoping the hill is set up like last year wide gates at the top. I plan to qualify this year and actually go through some cones at top speed. GRROOOWWWLLLL. I psyched up for this one. It is personal between me and that hill. Eddy Texas Outlaw.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:07 pm

Top is exactly the same. It's tough working with what the street throws at you from a course setting point. You could say "same course". I feel we will be working on the bottom to give you guys a much more uniform set of stingers at the end with no curve to the finish. It can be done!

Send that address Eddy! Where's Marcos? What's his addy?

WesE, I can possibly send you a copy of the DVD so you guys can see the set up. You got to promise to use it as propaganda in support of the race.

Where's Vlad? He gets a copy.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:24 am

ByrdDog, It sounds like you have it together then.
And yes, if you send me a DVD I would definitly circulate it around. Even if you don’t, I will try to get the mid-Atlantic people to attend anyway. Check your mailbox for my address.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:28 am

Thanks Wes, I've done way to much thinking in an effort to make this a good event for the racers.

Anybody know how I can get in touch with John Dillon?

Send those mailing addresses to byrddog@jam.rr.com

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Visibility of red cones

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:22 pm

WesE,
I second what Ga. Tom said. I had absolutely zero problems on the red course at the 2003 race. Visibility (or lack thereof) was a non-issue.

Actually, in my first race against Jeff Goad in the round of 8, I do believe one of the red cones did jump out of my way as I attempted to criddle it. (How else can you explain that I missed it entirely--on the INSIDE?) Ricky, is there anything that can be done about THAT? :-)

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:51 am

Hit it next time...?
Meeting with Red Bull went well. We are going to have a block of rooms available for racers.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:25 pm

Ricky, I *tried* to hit it! :-) But it was too quick for me.

Great job on hooking up the rooms. Mark down at least one St. Louisan who'd like to be included if/when the time comes.

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:55 pm

I'm gonna do all in my power to make this race! Re: visibility tho, Can we have a race w/ an old man and his wife crossing the course, one toting a 2 wheeled oxygen tank..w/ the lights out?? This should be limited to a single race between Wes E. and J. Harms!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:24 pm

I suppose we'll have to wear dark glasses as well? No thanks. I've officially retired from "obstacle slalom". It made my hair turn gray--and I've completely lost my psychic ability to boot. ;-)

Actually, if you watch the video that Ga. Tom shot of last year's Luna race, you will see that I *am* the obstacle in one of Keith Hollien's practice runs. I'm walking up the hill between the courses--having just set up a downed cone, I think--and I start to cross the red course to get to the side of the street. Somehow I don't notice that Keith is barreling down that very course directly toward me. I look up, freak out, and jump out of the way just in time, but on the video it looks like I jump *toward* him first. Keith being Keith, he just misses two cones, then continues on without breaking his rhythm. Just another day--oops, I mean night--at the races. :-)

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:54 pm

So what you're admiting to, is that you have a history of being involved in "obstructing" It's bad enough that you involved 2 "older" men in your little "chicken" game! And that's just what has been caught on tape! Next thing you know.you'll be bringing children into the picture, like..say Josh Byrd, I find your conduct to be a pattern of a "Radikal" individual, and hereby sentence you to 30 days of solitary slalom.
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Dave, can I get credit for time served? St.L. weather has been pretty crappy for quite a bit more than 30 days. Ain't done no slalom, solitary or otherwise, since MSSS--except one run through the park. Don't worry, though, I'll be in fightin' shape, or at least criddlin' shape soon...maybe.

Seriously, though, I'm grateful to Ricky for putting in the work to make this race happen again. Last year's was good, and I bet this year's will be even better. Wouldn't be surprised if "Luna" will draw a few more big guns this time around--besides Keith's, I mean. :-) (Watch out for Ga. Tom. I believe he has a bit of a score to settle with that hill.)

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:21 pm

Jonathon,
You come to this forum seeking Mercy? I haven't been running cones since 08/09/03. Now that I'm healed, the mountain state has served me relentless days of "NO SCHOOL" so I hit the slopes seldom! On top of all that, my paerole officer (my wife) Gives me a list of chores/tasks that can be accomplished by no man!
Hope to see ya at Luna!!! Sounds like Ricky got it goin'
I's got to get back to drywallin' the addition!
We'll review your case after an intensive and time consuming investigation.
P.S Kick Goad in the Nads for me!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:28 pm

hahaha, I can just see Goad. "Ah-ight Brah!"

Tom Thompson

Post by Tom Thompson » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:52 pm

After watching the MSSS #2 video, I just want to take a moment and thank you Jonathan for defeating WesE on my behalf. I don't think I could have done it on my own :-) BTW, the look on your face after dodging that fella is priceless :-) :-) :-)

Prediction: this year's LSJ will be huge!!!

Jeff Goad
dagger
dagger

Post by Jeff Goad » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:38 pm

ya- brah: you know? Luna Luna Luna Luna Luna where do I sign!

" sick state of mind "

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:45 am

You guys just aren't right! Yeah, you heard me ...you guys! The look was a wall hanger, for sure!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Andrew Eure

Roadkill Racing

Post by Andrew Eure » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:24 am

Look forward to meeting you guys at Luna 2004. I can’t wait! Watch out for the locals! ;)

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:43 pm

Hey Andrew! Thanks for joining in.

Things are still moving on LSJ. Got a call from the city today and I meet with them Feb. 11 to set things in stone with them. Meet with the Fondren District events commitee next week.

Dave Gale, Are you up for some announcing, play by play, racers introductions, etc. at LSJ? You are coming right?

NCDSA contest calendar should be up late tonight.

See you at the SAM (Skateboard Assoc. of Mississippi) meeting tonight Andrew.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:25 pm

Sweet lunacy.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:07 pm

Vlad, I owe you a LSJ 2003 DVD. E me your address pleez.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:04 pm

Luna Slalom Jam 2004 is now up on the NCDSA Contest Calendar

http://www.ncdsa.com/contest_registrati ... testID=126

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:10 pm

Ricky,
I'm working on getting decent airfare/ Right @ 300.00 so far, how far is the airport?? Any chance of a shuttle? I'll help in anyway possible, but I plan on skatin' too!!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:28 pm

Dave, It's around 10 mi. from the airport.

Check www.lunaslalomjam.com for maps and such from last years race.

I'd love to see you race Dave.

Frank Henn

Post by Frank Henn » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:01 pm

here is the video from last years. It has no sound but you can see the lighting course whatever.

http://www.thebiggerpic.com/albums/album07/lsjsmall.wmv

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:42 pm

Holy Crap!
Were those courses as hard as they looked?

Is there any newb or junior class planned for those of us who are still learning?

Q

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:05 pm

Jack,

If you run every DC race between now and then you sould be fine. You might try pumping your board down some of the ramps at vans to get a feel for start ramps.

Joe

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:11 pm

Thanks for putting that link up Frank.

Jack, The course does look tough but it's a little deseaving on the clip. The cones are spaced on the slope of the top and the surface slows you down at the bottom where things tighten up. Coming off the ramps is a deal. Practice that like Joe sez. We had a couple that op'ed to start beside the ramps last year but it hurts your time.

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:31 pm

Illumination looks fine too!! For some reason ,I was stuck on April 12 for this years!! Was stoked for a "Monday" race.. Shoulda known better! Got air fare down to $271 looking better 'bout missing 3/4 week of work!!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:44 pm

That was a cool video clip nice work. It looks like it is totally flat at the bottom. Is there runout that does not require footbreaking or are new tennis shoes required?

Is it harder at night to run the red coned course? I've always felt that red cones are harder for me to see in less light, but I'm thinking dusk without lights. I've never skated cones at night with lights.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:13 am

Glenn,
The stop required a light foot brake. I think you could even run it out.

Lights were good. See the posts above from WesE.

Dave, Last year was April 12th, maybe that what's got you thinking that.

Don't tell anybody but the St. Louis crew is coming again this year. They're just doing a sneakie no sign up thing. Go Go Goad! In "Harms" way and The Chainsaw!

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:17 am

Glenn last year Ricky was kind enough to have some big haybails at the bottom of the run off. The cushioned the blow,but there was enough room for a foot slide. Any California skaters interested on coming down for some Southern Hospitality. Eddy Texas Outlaw

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:03 am

Q, Sorry I didn't answer all your questions. There will not be a seperate class for juniors/beginers this year. We ran seriously over time last year so to ease the chance of running late we don't plan on doing that. We will select out the fastest junior and women for awards.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Hotel?

Post by Jonathan Harms » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:33 am

Ricky, is the "Red Bull Hotel" still a possibility? Or did that fall through? That's part of the reason I haven't signed up yet. If we gots to pay for our own, that means I gots to dig a bit deeper to find a way to make it there.

Barker, Parsons, the FLO boys--looks like a fast field already. Yikes. Noah and Vlad, are you gonna be there?

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:29 am

No it hasn't fallen threw I just have to submit the budget which contains the cost of the rooms to see if it flys. I'll have a diffinate on Tuesday. I feel like it's going to happen. Stay tuned.

Frank Henn

Post by Frank Henn » Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:23 pm

I have an extra room with a bed and also a couch just in case.

John Dillon

Hey Ricky!

Post by John Dillon » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:22 pm

See if u can negotiate a cheaper rm rate at the closer hotel and get Red Bull to pick up tab for the block of rms...it may work due to the state of the economy, saving everyone $ and getting the hotel with whom you negotiate a definite chunk of biz, otherwise, you'll go to the other hotel that charges $50 and pull biz away from the closer , more expensive hotel. Make it a win-win situation for all if u can.......I hope to be there too!-John Dillon

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:03 pm

Ricky please put me down for a room if at all possible I would be more than happy to room with the other texas slalom skater. Even a discount would be cool too. Did'nt that happen last year? Either way you can count on texass being there. Is the course going to be close to last years? If I remember right that hills had some certain chateristcs that lent it's self to only an few choices.
Jonathan and Goad great to see that you guys have not fallen of the face of the earth!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:13 am

Well, I ain't sharing a room with any of you filthy mothers.

I staying over at Ricky's house.

And remember, Byrddog, I like my eggs scrambled, my bacon crisp, my half & half chilled and my grits on the side with heaping mounds of butter!

See y'all on the 17th if not sooner.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:16 am

Is it possible to get a separate room and get paid? :D

I'm in. Whatever the deal is.

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:19 am

Don't worry Wes us gulf cxoast boys would not suffer a least coaster anyway :> I see in your pic that you are a parralell rider me too although less togather than yours. Comming of those ramps on Fordren is pretty gnarly parralell by the way.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:40 am

Wesley, Marcos does not BS, but our ramps are mello. When you come off the ramps you quickly go into a few wide gates to scrub a bit before heading down the hill into the tighter section.

http://www.thebiggerpic.com/albums/album07/lsjsmall.wmv

As John suggested, I'm trying to negotiate a cheaper rate on the rooms so I have more rooms to go around. The rooms will be covered. More on this later.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:43 am

Marcos we will drink the Margaritas after the race, not the night before. This is really turning into a hell of a race. I finally got to knock off some slalom rust yesterday. I will practice alot harder for this one. WES since I am going to see you before I see C Chaput you might as well pay me the dollar for the Gatorade I bought you in Georgia. I will however settle for a Redbull.. Eddy Texas Outlaw.