Luna Slalom Jam 2004

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Will J
Will J
Will J

Post by Will J » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:43 am

Eddy Martinez wrote: I will however settle for a Redbull.. Eddy Texas Outlaw.
you're gonna need more than a redbull, mr outlaw ;)

dayum texans..

can't wait to see you guys, and beat you guys :)
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a
smile and a gun."

- Al Capone

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:21 pm

The gauntlet has been cast down. I will be scraping skuter off my shoes! Ah wake up and smell the smack.:) It is shaping up to be quite the race, almost all area of the country are represented no to mention some out of country visitors as well, so where is the west coast?

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:39 pm

Jack Smith is west coast as they come (although he was a Mississippian at one time).

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:14 pm

Yes I see that now, thats great! Guess I better start praticing :)

Will J
Will J
Will J

Post by Will J » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:31 pm

practice hard Marcos, us RKHR hooligans are gettin fast.. ;)

who's bringin the Tequilla, eh
smile and a gun."

- Al Capone

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:38 pm

I cant wait for this race. Everything is booked. Vlad is going down Jackson Mississippi style.

Is The Subway still open in Jackson?

I need to boost my self esteem by hiting a few blues clubs while in town, any recommendations?

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:06 am

will J you know for a fact that the TEXANS are bringing the Tequilla. Looking forward to sharing a shot with you and Byrdog this time. Beware Marcos might be riding my Bob Turner Red Cutaway. Will we see a Jack Smith, Marcos Soulsby rematch he beat you in GA Marcos. I think you can take him this time. Ahhh breakfast at the Crackerbarrel. Eddy Texas Outlaw.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:58 pm

A quick note on the rooms issue.

There will be rooms provided on Saturday night. I'm still negociating with Cabot for a better price. Red Bull went with my budget so, rooms yes, Cabot maybe. I need to get as much bang for my buck as I can.

Blues clubs? Hhhuummm? I'll look into that. As far as I know The Subway is still there. I haven't been there in years. The neiborhood it's in is one of the worst spots in town now. I'll study up and let y'all know.

Will J is a man about town...Will?

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:43 pm

Sorry for the info slow down. Things are moving along.

I'll be firming up the room situation today and posting info this weekend.

Also will be details for the Road Kill Racing "85 Jam" on Friday night.

Nature Boi has signed up! That's 3 World Champions in attending this GRS race. How cool is that?

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Lodging and Racing Info

Post by Ricky Byrd » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:26 am

Red Bull and MS GRS has secured the racers a $64.00 + Tax rate for Friday & Saturday night at the Cabot. Racers stay free on Friday night. This rate will also apply to those racers who are coming into town for the Friday night Road Kill Racing "85 Jam". The rate is the same on Friday but the racer is responsible for payment for the Friday night stay. Please make sure to tell them that you are with the Luna Slalom Jam in Fondren.

Please share these rooms as much as possible. I do have a budget and want it to cover as many rooms as possible. Any questions please contact Ricky Byrd, MS GRS, at byrddog@jam.rr.com

Road Kill Racing will be hosting a jam format race on famed Road Kill Hill at 5:00pm on Friday, April 16th. We will run till it's to dark then gather at a local pub to talk slalom and eat. This race will be striped down, no ramps, long push, single lane, best time wins, street racing. Prizes for the top three fastest times. Come in town early and join us. Tell the Cabot that you are with the LSJ and receive a special room rate. Maps to Road Kill are at www.lunaslalomjam.com . Again, any questions please contact Ricky Byrd, MS GRS, at byrddog@jam.rr.com

WWW.LUNASLALOMJAM.COM

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:49 pm

stripped down?

if you say so, but i'm no nature boi and lately i've been suffering from dunlaps disease

see you all at KONA in march

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Racing, EH!

Post by Claude Regnier » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:46 pm

Is it easy enough to get from the airport to the race location with public transit?

What time ar emost people arrving and leaving?

I think I may have to fly out at the latest around 5pm on Sunday.

Nothing heading this way any later unless i leave bright and early Monday.

I've got to book soon thanks, cuz there is no time to drive.

E-mail me here at the Sk8park - sk8park@bellnet.ca -
Many Happy Pumps!

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:23 pm

We'll get a shuttle thing going if you guys would like.

Tell you what, if you need a ride please post the day and time of your arrival and I'll make it happen.

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:00 pm

I've spoken w/ 2 who are going to need transport, I'm in for a share of a car if need be!!
Claude, does the name Bud Watt ring a bell?? 70's Kanuk freestyler!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Will J
Will J
Will J

Post by Will J » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:09 am

rides from/to the airport = no problem
smile and a gun."

- Al Capone

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Rides

Post by Claude Regnier » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:43 pm

Thanks, I'll let you know about my times asap.

The route is not an easy one nor is it cheap. Can't wait, except for more time to pay fot it,LOL.

C-YA
Many Happy Pumps!

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:56 pm

Just back from a meeting with the city. All went very well. Everything in the permits realm is going great. Everything else for that matter.

Taking GRS to the next level, Luna Slalom Jam!

Mike Ohm

Luna Luna Luna

Post by Mike Ohm » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:02 pm

I will be arriving on Saturday around 1:00pm. RIcky, any chance of a pick up then?

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:25 am

Sure Mike, no problem.

I'm compiling a list of arrival times so I can send someone out to pick up.

I'm going to try to consolidate the pick up so if any of you guys need a pick up let me know the time.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:52 am

Ricky Byrd wrote:Vlad, I owe you a LSJ 2003 DVD. E me your address pleez.

Cool DVD. Makes me want to watch it over and over again. Thanks Red Bull.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:36 am

Red Bull sent all they had out in the first run. More being made now. ;)

Mike Ohm

Luna

Post by Mike Ohm » Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:57 pm

Ricky, looks like quite a race brewing for ole Miss. The Brown Bomber just signed up. Thats two top five pros and a few top open guys. This is gonna rip. Oh yeah, one of dem pro's is the World champ.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:36 am

I hear you Mike, it's very cool. More than we ever expected. Thank you all. We'll do our best for you.

We tested the new Trakmate yesterday and it works great. Having reaction times to look at makes things a whole new game. It's a four beep system, go before the fourth beep begins and your busted. We had a blast, then I proceeded to kink one of the finish line tape strips during tear down. Oh well...

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:54 am

Ricky,
If you have a need for a weatherproof/shark bite proof pelican case for your new timer, let me know and I'll bring one w/me Sidlo & C-Nova have used one I gave them and I noticed 66 had one in Miss. They are the stuff!!!
Enjoy,
Dave G
P.S give me a call 304-5740227 or send me your #
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:11 pm

Info has been slow the last couple of weeks but don't think this thing ain't happening or it ain't going to be as big as last year because you would be wrong.

Just back from a meeting with Red Bull and things are going smoothly along. Posters, T-Shirts and stickers are moving, rental items are set up, food and gathering places are being nailed down, checks are being cut. I still have a arm long list of "to do's" but nothing major. Prize sponsors are outstanding this year.

The timing system worked very well. We did have two false starts or "non-starts". The tape on the ramp didn't start the clock twice. Both times it was Josh. I think he pulled so hard he kind of ollied the tape to a point that the pressure wasn't enough to start it. Not sure. The beeps are great.

By the way Josh WON last weeks warm-up race, beat them all.

I'll holler Dave

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Josh

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:35 pm

Ricky, I still remember when Goad, Steven Lewis and I drove up the street at Concourse on our first trip to Mississippi in November 2002. The first person (or one of the first) I saw was some little kid on a yellow Turner cutaway, looking picture-perfect as he made his way down the course--eyes forward, knees bent, arms counterbalancing fluidly on every turn he made. I remember thinking, "Holy $%#!, if the KIDS are this good, what am I doing here?" If I remember correctly, I raced head-to-head against Josh later that day and was truly surprised that I beat him. I'm wouldn't be surprised if I lose to him sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Glad to hear the preparations are going well. Look for at least a few St. Louisans at Luna. From the looks of it, just making the top 16 would be a pretty good showing.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Luna Slalom Jam Update

Post by Ricky Byrd » Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:32 pm

Just dropped in for an update.

Things are going really well as we head into the final weeks before the event.

This is going to be a good one y'all.

We have some great sponsors working with us to make it a great event for eveyone. They are:

Red Bull North America
Fondren Foundation
SkateMS.com
The Bigger Picture
The City Of Jackson
Southern Beverage
Bahne Skateboards
Pleasure Tool Bearings
RoeRacing
Insect Skates
Radikal Trucks
Comet Skates
Gravity Skates
Concrete Wave
3DM
Seismic Skate Systems
Pocket Pistol Skates
Solidskate.com
Longskate.com
Bozi Longboards
ABEC11

What a list...Thanks to all these fine vendors!

We have a great after party lined up. It will be held on the rooftop of the building which is on the top of the race hill. It's a nice place to hang out and has a great view of Jackson. Rooster's Cafe (on the hill) to supply us with plenty of Crawdad-In-A-Cup, Red Beans & Rice, Fried Catfish & Hushpuppies and more great Southern Cuizine. Beer will be provided by Southern Beverage Co.

We have a few bands lined up to play at slow times during the race like between qual rounds and between quals and elim rounds. They are setting up off the course per my request. I do not want this to interfere with the race in any way. On race night, if anyone has a problem with it, let me know and I'll pull the plug.

Many have been asking of lodging. We are still offering a free stay for Saturday night. Please call Cabot Lodge Millsaps www.cabotlodgemillsaps.com and make your reservation. When you do make sure they add you to a list of Luna racers. Please try to consolidate on the rooms. If your coming in alone make a stab at finding a roomate, I would appreciate it. We have a room budget and the race is blowing up this year due to, for one, being a ACSS points race.

And that brings me to another point. Luna Slalom Jam 2004 is the opening event of the American Cup Slalom Series. We are happy to be selected to be part of this venture. Thanks guys!

I am meeting with a viddy-ographer today. He has been asked to put togther a video of the event which will be for sell at the time of registration for something like $20. Copies will be offered to the general public also.

Some have asked about entry fees. There is no need to pay in advance, simply pay when you register. Registration will be at the top of the hill in Rooster's Cafe.

Poster's, T-Shirts and Stickers are at the printers and they rock! Red Bull is planning on having enough posters for everyone to be able to take one home along with your event T-Shirt and a handful of stickers. We ordered 500 stickers and they look cool (even though they have a picture of Nature Boi on them).

I am planning to send out an email next week with some more details, maps and such. Watch for it. If I miss someone on this, please forward it around for me.

Thanks everyone for making this the skate event of the year in Jackson. It ain't a race without racers and we appreciate each one of you.

More later,
Ricky Byrd
MSGRS
Last edited by Ricky Byrd on Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Luna

Post by Claude Regnier » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:13 pm

Luna - Is anyone going to be in town overnight on the sunday/monday. It's a 135.00 cheaper for me to leave on monday morning.

Please let me know asap. So I can book the travel and a room.
Many Happy Pumps!

Frank Henn

Post by Frank Henn » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:06 pm

yup alot of us will never leave

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Arrival-Departure & Lodging

Post by Claude Regnier » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:34 am

I arrive in Jackson - 5:10 on the Friday, April 16 and Depart at 9:35 am on Monday the 19th.

I have a room booked for the 16th and 17th if anyone wants to split, if not I need floor space, LOL.

Looking forward to seeing you all again, I had my 1st. Slalom session in 5 months this morning. I can't wait.

E-mail me at sk8park@bellnet.ca or cerslalom@msn.com my c.regnier@rogers.com is no longer valid.
Many Happy Pumps!

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:30 am

You'll have to hit the street running to get out to the outlaw race to get a few runs in before dark. Great to have you!

All racers, I'll be sending out better maps and info via email this week. Look for it.

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

No Rain

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:25 am

Ricky just to make sure . . . Luna goes as planned rain or shine? Like last year? NOT THAT I'M SAYING THERE WILL BE RAIN. BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW THERE WONT BE ANY!!!!!

Will J
Will J
Will J

Post by Will J » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:22 am

week ana'half to go, who's ready to party with the mosquito's and roadkill ;)
smile and a gun."

- Al Capone

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Coming Home?

Post by Jack Smith » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:32 pm

The airline ticket is in my hands, the hotel's been booked. I'm stoked to be coming to the Luna Slalom Jam. Great job Ricky!

I'll be arriving around 11:00pm Friday, could I ask a favor and have someone pick me up at the airport?

Thanks,
Jack

Bahne Skateboards

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:02 pm

We'll get you covered Jack.

Will anybody else needing a ride from the airport on Friday or Saturday please email me so I can make sure I've got a ride for all who need one.

Thanks!
Last edited by Ricky Byrd on Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:03 pm

Mississippi Grass Roots Slalom, Road Kill Racing, along with Pocket Pistol Skates, is pleased to announce the Pocket Pistol Outlaw 75 on Friday, April 16th on Road Kill Hill in Ridgeland, Mississippi.

Pocket Pistol Skates has stepped up to sponsor this Pre-Luna jam format outlaw event. This gathering is held for anyone coming into town early for Luna and wishes to get together and runs some cones. The course will be a hybrid type consisting of 75 cones (hence the name Pocket Pistol Outlaw 75) on a nice grade with average surface. In the jam format, make one run or make twenty runs at any time during the event and your best time goes to determine your placing.

Road Kill Hill is located at 220 Industrial Park off I-220 at the Hanging Moss exit. We will get rolling around 5:30 giving time for the park to empty after work on Friday. I will be sending out directions to each racer on the NCDSA sign-ups.

Pocket Pistol has agreed to donate some great prizes for the fastest times of the Open, Women and Junior categories and an event T-shirt for each racer.

Afterwards (around 8 pm) we will be gathering at Left Field Grill at Smith-Wills Stadium for some food and fellowship and a few Red Bulls.

Join us at this event and join us in thanking Pocket Pistol Skates for their generous contributions to this event.

Thanks to Chicken and the rest of the Pocket Pistol gang!

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:12 pm

Slalom is fun.

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:46 pm

Damm!! One contest, now two contests! and Two New Tees to boot! You know the Outlaws will be there! Clitfon I better see you there. One week can't wait.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:18 pm

Most tasks are complete except for obtaining the actual permit for the street closing. I got the letter of approval from the city over the weekend and I'm heading downtown to cough up the fee this afternoon, then we're set. All systems go!

My Internet connection is on the blink at home due to an electrical storm Saturday night. Perfect timing! It affected my Internet Explorer but not my email. If you have questions, please email me.

See everyone Friday or Saturday!

Keith Hollien

Post by Keith Hollien » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:13 pm

I want to let everybody know I plan to have a test & tune session at Road Kill Hill on saturday(~11:00am to 3:00pm). We can set some course to have a little fun.
See everybody on Friday(or Sat.).

Later Keith, Teams Radikal & RoeRacing.

Joe Iacovelli

Luna

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:15 pm

Thanks Keith!

Ricky,

Have you posted directions to Fondren and Roadkill anywhere?

Thanks,

Joe

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:45 pm

Ricky, are you still hooking up rides from the airport on Saturday?

Andrew Eure

forcast

Post by Andrew Eure » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:34 am

weather is looking good. Sunny - Hi 80 - Low 55

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:22 pm

If anyone's interested (and I know you are,) I just got the following from Priceline:

Fairfield Inn Jackson Airport

Check-In Date: Saturday, April 17, 2004
Check-Out Date: Sunday, April 18, 2004
Jackson Airport (JAN)
407 Riverwind Drive
Pearl, Mississippi 39208
601-936-3434

subtotal: $40.00
Taxes: $9.96

TOTAL: $49.96

I know this is a little farther from Fondren than the Cabot, but Jackson's a small town, er, city, um, burg. Everything can't be too far apart. Plus, this place is on I-20 which puts it closer for me to start home on Sunday.

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty good deal.

I'm not even going to start bragging, though, about the $45.00 room I get at the Sheraton in Birmingham Friday night. Downtown, breakfast buffet, complimentary whores, just about everything a travelling man could ask for!

Frank Henn

Post by Frank Henn » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:40 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote:I'm not even going to start bragging, though, about the $45.00 room I get at the Sheraton in Birmingham Friday night. Downtown, breakfast buffet, complimentary whores, just about everything a travelling man could ask for!
and your right down the street from the bootio

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:35 pm

Mike (or anyone needing a pick-up), Now that we're close to the date, please send me an email with your arrival time so I can arrange pick up.

If you staying at the Cabot on Saturday you need to have arrangements made by Friday. I'm paying the tab on Friday then all deals are off. This is the way they are forcing me to handle it. I understand from their end.

If you are in a room alone please try to find a roomy. I hear Bobby Mandarino needs a roomy. Contact him. Who else?

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

ROOM

Post by Claude Regnier » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:46 pm

I am also in a room alone Friday, Sat..

Since the race Friday starts at 5:30 and my arrival is 5:10 (then baggage) I guess I should likely meet you all later, right?

As for departure Monday morning and sunday nights sleeping arrangements an earlier post indicated things would fall into place. Can thi be confirmed for mr please!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to participating in this years Luna Slalom.

C
Many Happy Pumps!

Will J
Will J
Will J

Re: ROOM

Post by Will J » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:03 pm

Claude Regnier wrote:
Since the race Friday starts at 5:30 and my arrival is 5:10 (then baggage) I guess I should likely meet you all later, right?
nah, the race is jam format. this is the deep south, where time moves slower. :) I'm sure if not myself then one of the other guys won't mind bein a little late, we'll all get our runs in before it's over.
smile and a gun."

- Al Capone

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:05 pm

2003 Luna Slalom Jam

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:45 pm

There will be six St. Louisans coming. We've got one room reserved. If we have to, we can all wedge in there, but if anyone has extra space in theirs, one or two of us might be interested. E-mail me if you have extra space and want to share.