JPL RACE : November 22, 2003

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Glenn S

JPL RACE : November 22, 2003

Post by Glenn S » Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:16 pm

1. Richy Carrasco
2. Noah Heinle
3. John O'Shea
4. Chris Barker
5. Gary Fluitt
6. Brent Kosick

That was about all I got from a phone call to Rick Howell "Ick Sticks".

Way to go Noah!!!

Rick was very impressed with Noah's style on the hill. Rick said Richy was just on fire, pushing harder than anyone into the course. John O'Shea shows up late, no practice, and kills it. Brent Kosick riding a short wheelbase older Turner deck was ripping. Near 30 total contestants is what Rick thought. Rick said that this hill was about to the edge of his threshold of gnarly GS. Rick took a fall on his last run right after crossing the finish.
Last edited by Glenn S on Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

George Gould
AZ G.R.S.
AZ G.R.S.

JPL and many smiles!

Post by George Gould » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:05 pm

O.K., where to begin. Nov. 21, Friday night had serious winds and I thought the race course would be difficult in those high winds. But, Saturday morning came and it was an absolutely beautiful Los Angeles morning. I had never been to the JPL hill, which is rather burly, it goes around a bend as it descends, awesome! Even at full bore it will take 20 seconds to get down the hill. It is a closed road and very close to Gorman’s (no wonder Mike is getting so good!). Equipment seemed to be mixed. There was a little of everything present, Turners, Ick, Bahne,Pocket Pistols, Comets, G&S, Gravity and a Vaughnster. Many guys are going to Radikals, offsets were used for most rear trucks either Tracker or Indy offsets. Some Seismics and Randall’s were ridden as well. Noah was on PVD’s along with 1 or 2 more.

The wheel situation is boiling down to Gumballs and the 3dms. Many mixed duros, I rode red Avilas all the way around (I copied Gorman) and a few were on Avalons or Flashbacks. Some guys are shaving their wheels. These guys are usually faster than everybody else.

There were around 30 racers. Richie looked hot, so did Noah. Fluitt was going for it. the Turner guys had an awesome display of downhill weaponry. The new 39" rolled edge is absolutely beautiful. Jon O is so casual that he makes most big hills look easy. There were a couple of falls and close calls, but no one was hurt other than the normal raspberries associated with skating. David Carrasco is skating very well. The upper crust of the Open class, Noah and Chris Barker are really pushing the pros. It all boiled down to a 1 cone difference for Noah, as Richy won. .2 second cone penalty for the G/S can hurt! The Rogers Bros are really getting into it. Lynn Kramer and Isabelle represented the women. Jack Smith looked very smooth and was charging. Kosick was riding his Turner, he is really incredible to watch. The course was a blast and there were no complaints that I heard. Howard (3dm) lent Mike his timer and there were no timing problems other than a few re-runs. It was a great race and a great Birthday for Cliff Coleman.