United States Slalom Skateboarding Federation - Created!

North American Slalom Races & Results

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Lynn Kramer, Chris Cousineau, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

United States Slalom Skateboarding Federation - Created!

Post by Andy Bittner » Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:40 am

On behalf of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors, I am very proud to announce the formation of the United States Slalom Skateboarding Federation. At this time, the members of the Board of Directors of this organization are:

Jack Smith (CA) – President
Gareth Roe (WA) – Vice President
Alan Sidlo (IL) – Secretary
Terence Kirby (NH) – Treasurer
Joe Iacovelli (CT) – Director (Region 1)
Brian Parsons (VA) – Director (Region 2)
Carl Kincaid (IL) – Director (Region 3)
Ricky Byrd (MS) – Director (Region 4)
Gary Fluitt (CO) - Director (Region 5)
Chris Raezer (WA) – Director (Region 7)
Steven King (CA) – Director (Region 8)

The U.S. Slalom Skateboarding Federation (USSSF or “U, Triple S, F”) is a nationwide, non-profit sport development and sanctioning body that will commence its’ first membership year on January 1, 2003. The primary purpose of this organization is to build a sport with a solid athletic foundation and positive public image, rooted in the best principles of fair competition and good sportsmanship.

The USSSF is, first and foremost, a representational body. There will be a variety of membership options available, voting and non-voting, priced to invite the involvement of slalom skaters of all skill and interest levels. The opinion of that community, as represented by the voting members, will always be of the highest priority in driving forward the USSSF and the sport of slalom skateboarding.

While the finer points of the direction for this organization are still open to the refinement that will come from the voice of the voting membership, it has already been decided that the U.S. will be divided into regions, each represented by a Director on the Board of Directors. In these regions the USSSF will foster and/or support vigorous development programs and regular, local, reasonably accessible learning and racing opportunities. While these racing opportunities will not be restricted to members of the USSSF, those who have chosen to support the USSSF with their membership dollar will find discounted registration fees at all participating, USSSF-sanctioned events.

The nature of an organization such as the USSSF presents many other potential benefits to the slalom skateboarding community. So many of the issues routinely discussed on this and other websites, like rules standardization, spec class racing, national championships, timing systems, inclement weather policies, dealing with insurance issues and local governments, event guidelines and even travel and accommodation discount programs are best handled by a true, non-profit sport association operating through a system of elected representation.

THEREFORE… At this time I would like to announce that the U.S. Slalom Skateboarding Federation is seeking major financial contributors who are interested in permanently and indelibly marking themselves into the archives of this effort, by becoming involved with our Charter Membership Program. Charter Membership is about giving the USSSF the best, most financially sound start as is possible, and as such, is a high-dollar, limited time offer. Those individuals, companies or organizations who risk the most, right at this moment, when trust is the only reassurance available, will find themselves permanently listed in all major publications of the USSSF, in perpetuity. For more information on the USSSF’s Charter Membership Program, please contact me at SlalomFederation@Hotmail.com.

Thank You,

Andrew Bittner
Executive Director
U.S. Slalom Skateboarding Federation

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:43 am

Congrats to all of you. I'm Glad you finally got all the pieces togehter.

Things can only get better from here. After this past seasons successes it all looks promising.

Now if I can only get some other Canadians going we can work on GRASS/GRS and the CSSF.

Good Luck to all

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:46 pm

Finally!
What a great group of individuals to help our sport grow. Together they should make a strong and respected team. The future of slalom skateboarding looks much brighter.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:15 am

This post has been too long in the making.

Over a year ago Andy Bittner approached me about accepting the post of President of the USSSF. At the time I was concerned with possible conflicts of interest. Since then I have decided that what is most important is the continued growth of slalom.

I believe that the USSSF can serve as a valuable conduit to this growth. Some of the programs planned include

A group insurance plan that race organizers can use for a nominal fee.

A race package that could be used by local promoters when planning an event. This might include "how to appoach the city council", supplies checklist, dual and single lane guidelines, how to deal with the local media, canned press releases, course ideas and other helpful hints.

A nationwide amatuer points system, racers across the country could compare themselves with each other by age group and skill status.

A sanctioning system that could be used for both pro and open events. It is much easier to convince a city that they should allow and welcome your event if you have a national organiztion behind you.

Andy along with the board of directors have been working hard to develop these programs and I urge you to support the USSSF's efforts in promoting the future of slalom skateboard racing.

Sincerely,
Jack Smith
President - USSSF

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:40 am

Thanks for posting Jack. Admittedly I have fallen out of the communication loop but look forward to helping develop the programs you mentioned. Thanks Andy and Jack. TK