[2003] Moscow, Russia, September 7, 2003

European Races & Results (for Major, Main and Prime level races)

Moderators: Jani Soderhall, Robert Thiele

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

[2003] Moscow, Russia, September 7, 2003

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:31 am

There is a slight chance of a Moscow Slalom Cup 2003 being organized on the City Day, August 21 at a premium slalom location in the Victory Park in front of (tens of) thousands of spectators. If it's not meant to happen, maybe it could be a little slalom get-together of old-time Russian slalomers such as Matsukevich, Sinodalova, Alexeevs, Fomin, and others, their old Western friends and new Moscow slalomers. An official announcement might come as early as this month. Don’t hold your breath but keep it in mind. I’ll test the waters during the first week of August. We’ll be slaloming in Moscow almost every day for 2 weeks. You’re welcome to join in.

The location has something in common with the Trocadero. I skated there in May last year and it made me want to go back for more. The new Moscow Slalom Club holds practice sessions there almost every day/night. The place has a series of nice, smooth and wide hills. Miles of perfect asphalt of different pitch in one place. Some alleys have stairs at the end, so there is no need to walk all the way back uphill.

Hotel stay is as cheap as $20 a day (last year’s price). Airfare is around $800 from major US cities (if departing and returning on the weekend). Tourist Visa is $150 (no invitation needed) and $50 with an invitation. Visa registration is free at the hotel and $30 if you stay at somebody’s place. Food is good and cheap. The city is a hybrid of Las Vegas and Paris. Everything is shiny but real. New York and Paris are a bit cleaner. The women are …you have to see them to believe your eyes. Pepsi is sweeter then in the US, and Coke tastes like the New Coke. Vodka, beer and wine are sold and can be consumed practically everywhere any time. Crime rate is high, but security in public places and on the main streets is tight. You will be asked to present your passport and visa on the street. Metro is so cheap it’s not even worth mentioning its cost, and crossing the entire city takes an hour even during the rush hour. Making other forms of transportation obsolete. Taxi is pricey, but still cheaper then in the EU and the US.

Vlad.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:47 am

I'm IN.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:55 pm

Looks like it'll fit with my plans, so preliminary you can count me in.

Make sure it happens! It'll be a good thing for an already happening Russian scene.

I'll be bringing stuff from the 3dm + Jani Russian sponsorship deal for those racers that haven't yet got the wheels they need. (I could also bring some stuff for sale if there is interest.)

Bruce Brewington
Wall Street Racing
Wall Street Racing

Post by Bruce Brewington » Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:41 pm

If this is a "big" venue event in a downtown urban location, I'd love to go. Slalom in Red Square ??? Vlad...keep me posted on the status of the event. Can you show us pictures of the venue location...can we see St. Basil, or the Kremlin ??? Sounds great

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:53 am

Moscow Snowboard and Ski Coach Association just stepped up to run a slalom comp at the Moscow #1 Slalom Location (the Russian Trocadero), The Poklonnaya Gora (known and referred to by most as “Poklonka”). Poklonka is a historical place with a heavy military machinery display and 10 times the Trocadero fine slalom space. This competition will be one of three rounds. The other two rounds will be held at other premium slalom locations. One of them – on the summer slalom hill- the longest in Europe slalom-specific stretch of asphalt with a lift! It’s butter-smooth and very steep. I could barely “make it” on speed skates last year.

Does your over-300-yard long and steep slalom hill have a lift or you prefer to walk? :smile:

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:57 am

3DM and Jani pulled another sponsorship! Over 100 LaCostas are going to Russia and other slalom-friendly former Soviet Republics!

People in Moscow started ordering 3DM slalom wheels. I'm bringing 24 Avilas with me.

News and updates to come soon.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:37 pm

Howard Gordon at 3dm deserves real credit here. He has been very generous and kind all along. I'm pleased to see that his generousity is paying off and that some of the guys are ordering wheels. I've also seen some Russians buy Avalons to complement those that I brought last time.

The giveaways are intended to encourage skaters to try out slalom and not become ruined as they put their first board together.

Vlad, thank's for everything you're doing too. Carrying more than a 100 wheels in your already overweight luggage will take some energy and also skills. I hope you can charm the people at the check in counter so you don't have to pay overweight. Always consult with JG first, on how to best deal with airline personnel.

Enjoy your stay in Moscow! I might be coming, but plans are vague, and I think I might go later than originally planned. If I could get to Moscow while you're still there it would be great.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:28 pm

1st slalom day. Need 100A wheels! Troco is not as smooth :smile:
200 wheels made it through the customs alright. An invitation from the Russian Snowboard Federation helped a lot.

Some guys kick serious ass on flat. More info as the trip unfolds.

From Moscow, Russia.
Vlad.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:02 pm

The first round is over. The second one is next week. More later. Pictures are here and here.

More later.

With love from Russia,
Vlad.

Jeff Bozi
Boziboards
Boziboards

Post by Jeff Bozi » Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:00 am

Vlad, How did I know you'd be in Black?

This pic is a keeper........

Miss ya, Bozi

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:24 pm

I'm still there. And nothing will bring me back to the US. For at least another couple of weeks.

Moscow = Slalom Paradise and More. Way More.

Later.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:19 pm

Jani Soderhall and Anatoly Matsukevich are on their way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow. The Russian Snowboard Federation stepped up to run a longboard and GS slalom Cup right on the Moscow City Day, Sept. 07th …in the middle of the most crowded park in the middle of one of the most crowded days!!! The racecourse will be fenced and heavily guarded by over 100 policemen. This is not a joke.

The Prize money are in the thousands…of $$, not rubles. Admission is free as far as I know.
Elena Sinodalova, the world’s strongest slalomer, will be there as well.

The guys were able to reserve the Central Park Alley, where most tourists are going to hang out. On the one hand, the crowd promises to be Trocadero-large. On the other hand, the Central alley is rather flat, which would be a challenge to longboarders. The decision was based on one principal: LOCATION. There are better hills around the park, but those alleys are more remote.

The Russian Snowboard Federation is Supah kind and nice to skateboarders. Many of the top Russian alpine snowboarders practice longboard slalom in the summer time. Many of them also spend some time in Austria training on a glacier (as I type). The money is there. The interest is there. This is the first marriage of the Russian alpine and longboard community! May it be a success!

I don’t know of any major sponsors. All I know is that Jani, #1 ISSA and #2 ISSA persons are going to participate in the longboard and GS slalom comp in Moscow.

Had it happened 2 weeks earlier, I would have been there too. But everything just can’t be perfect. I have many friends who are helping put it all together and who’d keep us updated on the results.

Special thanks to Andrew Muzikin and Max Blast for coordinating most of the activities.

This is the first BIG Comp in Moscow in years! It might be on a slow GS side, but hopefully this is just "another" beginning of a new slalom era.

Stay tuned.

Amen.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:55 pm

I can only confirm what Vlad has announced.
We've got our tickets booked and are taking the overnight train in two hours.

It'll be a great adventure.

Anatoly went to the shop to buy me some protection and helmet and he'll lend me a Bahne Black hill board with Tracker trucks and Turner/3dm wheels (that I provided him with...). He is using his old stuff, but of course with new Turner/3dm wheels.

PS. Sorry, no time to stay connected longer. More news after the weekend. I'll hopefully get a bunch a pictures too, to document the revival of slalom in Russia.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:44 pm

First news from Moscow.

Jani takes first in both disciplines. Anatoly Matsukevich is second in both.

Sinodalova surprised everyone with her charm and slalom skills.
She got first in everything, of course.

First Fotos from the Moscow GS/Longboard Slalom Cup

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vlad Popov on 2003-09-08 10:01 ]</font>

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:44 pm

Fianlly, a good "modern" picture with Jani.

<center>The Moscow 2003 Champ on a heelside.

Image</center>

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:48 pm

Good picture. Now let us make him change his personal pic with this. I'm starting to get allergic to his current one. :smile:

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:57 pm

Speaking of which...where's yours, Mr. Corky?

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:34 pm

Good one Vlad.

The good news though is that I start to have a couple of good ones (as good as they get on me) that could do. Speaking of that... they are all on Jani's table.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:51 pm

<center>More Pictures from Moscow</center>

My little sister was a cone judge!

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:20 pm

I have just returned back to Paris and I'd like to express a very warm Thank You to all my new slalom friends in Moscow, Krasnajarsk and also to my old and new slalom friends in St Petersburg.

The race in Moscow was a really nice experience.
- The surface of the skate spot was absolutely superb.
- The Moscow mayor arranged for a clear sky.
- Organisation was superb.
- Great vibes, everybody was having pure fun.
- Promise of good racers for the years to come.
- and more!

Add to that my (double) victory and $600 of cash in my pocket.

It all adds up to one great day of slalom racing and a few more nice days just spending time with the Moscow slalomers.

Thank you Andrew, Elena S, Alexey, Max, Michael, Ekaterina for being such great hosts and giving Monique and me such a warm welcome.

Anatoly, double silver in Moscow, deserves special thanks for taking care of Monique and myself over 2.5 weeks. Your support and friendship is invaluable to us.

Jani

Andrew Muzikin

Post by Andrew Muzikin » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:55 pm

Opps... Jani, I don't know how it turned out I've missed your post :smile:
All of our Moscow slalomers want to thank you for coming and skating with us, for all of your and Howard's support and (the most!) for "you vs Matsukevich" final duel. What an avesome show!
Hope to see you in Moscow next year.
Give our best wishes to Monique.