[2003][Announcement] Paris, France: 24-25 May, 2003 - Rules

European Races & Results (for Major, Main and Prime level races)

Moderators: Jani Soderhall, Robert Thiele

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

[2003][Announcement] Paris, France: 24-25 May, 2003 - Rules

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:15 pm

We hereby welcome all slalomers, longboarders and roller skaters to Paris, May 24-25 for an exciting slalom event at the famous Trocadero site opposite the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

The contest will feature the following events for skateboarders:
Tight / Straight parallel slalom
Special slalom, dual
Giant slalom
Longboard slide contest

Official website:
http://www.riderz.net/site-troca
Rules in English (PDF format)

Short summary of rules:

Starting ramp
There will be starting ramps, 1m high. That will be more than enough to give the speed necessary for the Trocadero slope.

Time penalty
Time penalty for a hit cone is 0.1 sec in all disciplines. No maximum cone count.

Tight slalom, Pro:
Cone distance: 2.0m measured centre to centre. Course length will be approximately 40 cones.
Two qualifying runs, best time countes. 16 best to the final head to head. Two runs each, times will be added. (no 1.5 sec rule, a DQ is a DQ).

Tight slalom, Am:
Cone distance: 2.5m measured centre to centre.
Course length will be approximately 30 cones to match the total length of the course of the Pros. Same head to head format as for Pro.

Special slalom:
This event will be run as dual like the straight/tight slalom.
Here's an extract from the rules:
"2.4 The cones shall be placed in such a manner that a varied course is created. The distance between cones shall be 1.6 - 4 m (measured from center to center), the average cone distance should be approximately 2-2.5 m."
(The Roller skaters will use this course also as a discipline. They initially wanted to do the giant, but have now changed to tight + special only in the skateboard course.)

Giant slalom:
We have decided not to do the giant slalom as a dual race as that would greatly reduce the possibilities for a varied giant slalom course. Instead it will be run according to the ISSA rules with two runs, best run counts. See http://www.pcpal.se/issa.
Here's an extract from the rules:
"2.4 The cones shall be placed in such a manner that a varied course is created. The distance between cones shall be 2 - 10 m (measured from center to center), the average cone distance should be approximately 3-5 m."

Slope
I cannot give the exact steepness of the hill, but it is fairly steep (6% is my guess). 40 cones in a straight line 2m apart will be really really fast. Most amateurs couldn't come past the 20th cone. That's why we have planned different courses in the tight. The special will probably be very fast too. The giant should be fast in speed, but probably not so difficult to manage. Most French slalomers are longboarders who have great control of boards at speed, but more difficulties in tight technical courses (but they're learning fast!).

Entry fees
The entry fees are based upon the number of events you participate in. There is also an offer for a combo lunch, 2 days, - T-shirt package (15 Euros). Check out the offical site for exact details.

Trophies, prizes, prize money
There will be trophies to the three best in each category. There will be sponsor prices distributed. For the Pro event there may still be prize money (probably in the 100's, not in the 1000's of Euros), but we're a bit short on cash given all the expenses, and the low entry fee.

Female category
The three slalom events will have a separate ladies category. A winner will be awarded in each category. However trophies will only be awarded to the best three female skaters in the overall ranking (including the slide event) (based upon the ISSA points system).

Best overall
An overall ranking of all four disciplines will be defined. No special trophy, other than the honor is planned.

Questions?
For any questions you may have please post them here, in this topic. But before doing so, check the ISSA rules. Most of the answers to your questions might be found there, however there is a need to adapt some of the rules for this specific event.

If you have questions about other things, hotels, accomodation with skaters, sightseeing etc, please post them in a separate thread.

We hope this event will as much a kick-off for the sport of slalom skateboarding in France. We sincerely hope you want to share this occasion with us.

Welcome / Bienvenue !
Last edited by Jani Soderhall on Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:35 am

Entry fees

Amateurs:

1 discipline: 10 E
2 disciplines: 18 E
3+ disciplines: 22 E

Pros:

1 discipline: 25 E
2 disciplines: 30 E
3+ disciplines: 35 E

Slide contest only: 7 E

Lunch package (2 days) + T-shirt: 15 E

(Different entry fees may apply to Inline skaters).

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:53 pm

As an amateur slalomer is it possible to race both the AM tight slalom and the PRO tight slalom? If the 2,5m distance works well maybe one would like to also have a go at the 2m distance. :smile:

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:48 pm

HA! I wanted to also race both races for fun! I happen to like the 2.5 meter distance.

Whoops.... for some reason I translated 2.5 meters to 6.5 feet. Well at 2.5 meters it is more like 7.5 feet- still ok for that slope. It should be really fun- all courses set there.

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Fri May 02, 2003 11:32 pm

John Gilmour wrote:HA! I wanted to also race both races for fun! I happen to like the 2.5 meter distance.
Now you pretend to race in my category ? :wink:
Seriously, now, why do an am category then, ?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri May 02, 2003 11:41 pm

I wanna do 1.5 m! :smile:

Tickets go fast. I just missed the last good deal because of a lousy travel agent. They are in $700s now.

Anyone get a good price quote?- please post it here or somewhere close.

Vlad.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat May 03, 2003 6:21 pm

Corky,

I don't think that there are many of the amateurs that would like to try the 2.0m course.

Normally I don't think we should allow it, but maybe we can make an exception for the three best amateur (qualifiers) to make a complementary start in Pro category, just to allow them to compare themselves with the Pros, if really there is a demand for it.

The different cone distances were selected because 2m seems very short on the Trocadero hill once you get the speed up after a few cones. Only really good racers will manage the course. If a skater is that good maybe he should be in the Pro category?

Vlad,

You better book your ticket fast, we're expecting you! Maybe you can negotiate to buy frequent flyer miles from someone?

Paul Price
Pavel Racing Team
Pavel Racing Team

Post by Paul Price » Sat May 03, 2003 6:49 pm

I booked my train ticket to Paris from London.

Looking forward to racing in Paris again, the last time was in 1987 I think!

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sun May 04, 2003 12:55 am

Jani,
That's a good idea even though the chance of me being one of the top 3 amateurs is minim.

John,
Not so good idea for you.

Personally I don't like this separation in PRO and AM courses. Why not see them as two different disciplines and people decide which they want to enter. I agree with Jani that most amateurs will jump over the 2m course anyway but PRO's could want to do a 2,5m version. I don't know how much technique change it would be for a pro and/or if a another board setup would be preferable. Jani, don't take this as a point for changing the Paris competition. It's only me doing some loud thinking.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon May 05, 2003 12:49 pm

Corky,

I was thinking like you for a second that it would be just as good to announce it as two different disciplines. But, but, don't you think that the Pros would then beat the amateurs?

We'll keep it as originally planned. Amateurs in the 2.5m course, Pros in the 2.0m course.

/Jani

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Mon May 05, 2003 12:52 pm

2.0 meters but not straight right?
offset and the like?

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon May 05, 2003 5:44 pm

The discipline named Tight slalom is cones in a straight line. That is the only event where the cone distance varies for Pro's and Am's.

The course setting of the special and giant will be done on the day, so we cannot predict in advance how they will be. Our experience on the Trocadero is that all skaters will be able to enter the Giant, but the special slalom might be too fast for some amateurs who are still learning how to cope with fast downhill pumping courses.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Mon May 05, 2003 6:52 pm

Jani, keep it as you have planned.

But just to clarify my point... Yes, most Pro's would beat the AM's but that doesn't matter since they don't compete in the same group. In the end there would be 2 different result-lists anyway, PRO and AM. PRO's are normally sponsored and goes for the cash. AM's are not. Even if an AM beat all PRO's he will not get prize money and not be first in the PRO result list and vice versa. I guess this is how it will work in Special and Giant slalom. Or are the PRO and AM categories only for the tight/straight slalom?

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon May 05, 2003 8:14 pm

All categories have Pro and Am. The two groups will race the same courses in special and giant, but not together. Amateurs first and then the Pros.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu May 08, 2003 4:07 am

Booked da tickets. Lufthansa dumped some good deals at Expedia.com . I saw British Airways at $300 Boston-Paris, but didn't check the dates. The deals are out there. This is a Memerial Day weekend, we probably shouldn't expect $200 flights.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu May 08, 2003 7:42 am

Dammit. Cheapest flights to paris that I can find are around $550. With so much excentric American opinions about France lately, one would expect flights there to be lower. I’m not trying to fan the flames on that issue, just contemplating reality. Expedia is lame because they refuse to allow any browser other than Microshit Internet Exploder. No matter how I set my browsers, the site keeps saying that my cookies are disabled. I would’ve bought my tickets earlier, but I thought the cone spacings were going to be 1.7m, which I don’t have much experience riding. I’ll keep looking for cheap flights. I really want to be in this event.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu May 08, 2003 5:53 pm

I have added some info at the top of this thread on the contest. For example there is now officially a female category.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Fri May 09, 2003 4:38 am

I found a fare $324 out of Boston - it is a student fare on American Airlines.

As for wanting to run the 2.5 meter course. I happen to like that distance because I think it allows for the greatest speed. I think wider than 8 foot allows for lessened pumping and going tighter than 1.8 meter is also speed limiting.- also if the Ams want to compare their times to the pros......isn't easier for me to run their course than the other way around?

If by some fluke I were to win the 2.5 meter course I certainly wouldn't take a prize away from an AM- I just would like to get in as much racing as possible for my $324.

Either way I am sure we will all have fun. I am also going to tell the Inliners and quad skaters in NYC and Boston about the race.

BTW bring a few pairs of shoes to the Trocadero- the rubber burns fast when stopping.

Sebastien Laffargue

Post by Sebastien Laffargue » Wed May 14, 2003 1:19 am

It would be nice to see some american slalom inline skaters too ! I know there are some in Chicago too and San Francisco.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed May 14, 2003 1:26 am

If Gilmour brings his skates, I'll bring mine. I'm more into speedskating, but GS is no problem. The faster and wider - the better. So if we race GS, I(we)'ll be your American(s) on blades.

John, what do you say?

Just re-read the rules, the bladers race on da Special slalom course. Might be hard to do on 5-wheel speedskates if the gates are tight.

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Wed May 14, 2003 12:12 pm

Vlad, are you there friday evening already?

Maybe we can meet somewhere.
But I will not talk to you while you are on blades........fruitbooter....

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed May 14, 2003 8:53 pm

Chris, just trying to get more <i>international</i> competition out of the international event. Whatever it takes. Even rollerskates! If the Russians don’t show up, I’ll represent Russia. For the same reason.

Ja, lez meet Friday. I’m sure we’ll meet anyway. Paris is a small city. Plus, there will be a bunch of slalomers under that tall iron tower…I dunno my plans yet, most likely, a tour de Pari mit my fraulen. Lez use e-mail, guut?

Speaking of frootbooters. I can only begin to imagine what the fruitbooters think of slalomers. 99% chance it has something to do with their misperception of our sexual orientation… And in more then 50 % of cases they are wrong! :grin:

Vlad.

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Thu May 15, 2003 8:53 am

Not serious with the bladers, I just don´t like it, but I have fun skating with them. Slalom is ok, I just get shivers when they call sliding with their boots a grind....thats all.

I will write you an email as soon as I know where we will be staying.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Thu May 15, 2003 6:34 pm

I'll be in Paris from Wednesday. And I will need some hard drilling every day to not make a fool of myself. So I guess we will all meet up at Trocadero before the sun goes down every night before the weekend.

I take back my early intention to want to run the 2m tight slalom. With my board (with Tracker Race tracks) I have difficulties making it very well. Trying it on the Trocadero slope would be a "no way" for me. But then again maybe I could loose up my trucks a little. But then again I'm not that technical mechanical type of a guy. I'll leave that course to the mid truck guys.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu May 15, 2003 6:40 pm

Can we skate the hill before Saturday?

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu May 15, 2003 7:52 pm

You can skate the hill any day, any time. The only problem is the tourists. Day time there are too many and they are dangerous, unless there are a sufficient group of skaters. The tourists walk any direction, looking in another, and not ever wondering why there are cones in the middle of the street, until somebody comes screaming down the hill.

The local longboarders meet there every Tuesday night when most tourist have gone home and it is too dark to take pictures of the Eiffel tower...

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Thu May 15, 2003 7:55 pm

so why do you guys put cones up there anyway? Take the touris as cones. The course changes every time you run it and you don´t need cone heads. Good training conditions, now I know why you are so good!

Daniel Poweleit

Post by Daniel Poweleit » Fri May 16, 2003 2:21 pm

Hi Chris!

Die Berliner Riege drückt Dir alle Daumen.

Daniel

In english:

All berlin slalomers press all thumbs for Chris.
Means that we wish good luck.

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Fri May 16, 2003 2:29 pm

Please press all three thumbs. Jürgen, Ulli and I will be racing.

Thanks

Bruce Brewington
Wall Street Racing
Wall Street Racing

Post by Bruce Brewington » Fri May 16, 2003 6:11 pm

No you can't Vlad...the rest of us will be practicing, though. You are just do damn fast.

See you there!!!

Wall Street Racing

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon May 19, 2003 8:55 pm

Here's a first view of the rules (in English).

Rules in English

Bruce Brewington
Wall Street Racing
Wall Street Racing

Post by Bruce Brewington » Tue May 20, 2003 6:52 pm

Jani, after reading the rules I noticed that there appears to be no DQ penalty for hitting too many cones in any of the three disciplines, just a 0.1 time penalty. Also, if I read the list of DQ's, putting a foot down, or footbraking to slow down in a critical section would be a DQ. Do I read these two points correctly ??

Look forward to seeing you and the many other international competitors that I have met over the past two years, (including Michael, Price, Levine, Maurus, Dieter, and others I may have missed), as well as looking forward to racing in such a surperb setting. The race events over the past couple of years have been at some great venues (Catalina, Breckenridge, Paso Robles, Lake Tahoe, New York...etc) and this should be another in a lengthing list.

And while I may not be the fastest skater in the U.S. (no kidding !!), I am proud to represent the U.S. and our country's core values in an internatioanl competition. Especially now, because of the geopolitical tension between France and the US. The Paris Slalom World Cup event is a showcase of the true spirit of competition among nations....along with a lot of fun.

Wall Street Racing

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue May 20, 2003 7:23 pm

Bruce, your interpretation of the rules is correct. Do you agree with them?

To put a foot down in straight or special slalom will certainly be very difficult, so I think nobody will do it except if they decide to quit. However in giant slalom races such a move could always be attempted and therefore is not allowed.

Bruce Brewington
Wall Street Racing
Wall Street Racing

Post by Bruce Brewington » Tue May 20, 2003 7:50 pm

Thanks for the quick response..I do think there should be a DQ if you knock over too many cones. How many is up for the officials to decide (5 cones, 8 cones, 10 cones ???, depending on how many total cones are set in the course). For example, you could hit 15 cones (1.5 sec penalty) by going straight down the hill, while the other competitor goes around all the cones, taking a much longer line and therefore a lot more time, and subsequent elimination by the other rider that may not be as skilled, but is fast 'cause he plows cones.

Occassionally to check speed on extreme offsets, I do put my foot down to slow down, but I guess I will have to step up this weekend and carry my speed all the way down the hill for a change !!!

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue May 20, 2003 8:43 pm

I have yet to see somebody hit cones on purpose except for the rare criddling. I think that disturbs the skater and I think he is loosing more than winning.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue May 20, 2003 9:35 pm

Will there be an alternative indoor place in case of rain? The weather forecast has been inconsistent all week long, so we can’t rely on their predictions. But it’d be nice to know if the racers will be able to race no matter what.
Thanks.
Vlad.

Paul Price
Pavel Racing Team
Pavel Racing Team

Post by Paul Price » Wed May 21, 2003 3:31 am

Question about the timing system - will it be timed on individual lanes even though the riders race together? What sort of push start can we expect? (how long? - unlimited pushes?)
Looking forward to seeing everyone in Paris!

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Wed May 21, 2003 6:38 pm

Hello,

Paul Dunn needs some help. He has a new slalom deck for Vlad that needs to be delivered to Vlad in Paris. If anyone would be able to carry this board with them to Paris please give PD a call on his cell phone 805-235-2637. He will Fedex the board to you.

Thanks,
Jack

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed May 21, 2003 6:54 pm

Jack, that would be either Kenny, Bruce or Farid. John G and Dan G are already here.

If you decide to Fedex it directly here use this address:

PC PAL
Impasse de la Noisette
91370 Verrières le Buisson
France
Tel: +33 1 69 53 46 20

If it gets here Thursday or Friday Vlad will have it in time. He's staying just next to my office.
Last edited by Jani Soderhall on Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed May 21, 2003 7:09 pm

There will be 2 start ramps. 1m high, similar to the FCR ramps. Slight S shape as well. Heavy weight, solid wood construction, shouldn't move.

The timing is done by a completely computerized system, thank's to Marcus at http://www.EttSexEtt.com. The computer gives the start beeps and starts the clocks on the 4:th beep.

There is a tapeswitch to detect false starts.
2 false starts and you're out of this race.

Tape switches are used as finishing line.

100's of a second are recorded, although the system would allow 1000's we've rounded the end result.

The backup system, old 70's technology, used in Eastbourne, UK, last year, has two separate clocks. Can be made to start both on a manual signal, or alternatively when the first skater crosses the line. No false start handling.

We had about 25 amateurs trying out the 2.5 m course yesterday, so it looks like we can have a good field of locals entering the Am class. Very encouraging! Actually those where the guys who volounteered to help, but all of a sudden realized they could actually enter. Excitement is building up.

Weather forecast right now is slighlty cloudy on Saturday morning, possibly light rain in the afternoon. Sunday sunshine. If it would rain on Sunday we have an alternative location. 150m long, excellent surface, not much of a slope, but it has a small, consistent slope, but no spectators will find us... But at least you can be sure we'll do the races. No authorization for that place, but nobody will force us to leave as it is parking for a shopping centre which is not open on Sunday.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu May 22, 2003 5:15 pm

Here's a message for those who have already signed up with useful information even for those who haven't and desire to do so at the race site early Saturday.

Dear fellow skater,

You have signed up to participate in the Paris Slalom World Cup 2003. Please find enclosed some information which may help answer some of the questions you have about the coming weekend.

Sign-up
You have made a preliminary sign-up on the race web site. Early in the morning on the day of the contest, you need to present yourself at the Riderz stand and give your name to obtain the already filled in competitors form. You can make modifications, such as add or remove events, at that time, sign and pay the entry fee. For those who haven't signed in on the web site, you can still register on the site.

Please confirm your participation for each of the disciplines for which you have signed up at least 40 minutes prior to the race, so that we have the time to make the appropriate adjustments and get ready for the race.

Lunch pack + T-shirt
For only 15 Euros you can obtain a lunch package for the two days and an event T-shirt. There may be possibilities to buy only the T-shirt but priority is given to the combo lunch packages.
There will be facilities for eating at the site, also for those who are not buying the lunch+t-shirt package.

Starting numbers
Each rider will receive a starting number (kind of like a t-shirt without sleeves) which must be worn during participation. Once you have completed all the disciplines you are participating in, you must return the starting number. To guarantee the return you are obliged to leave an ID card, 50 euros or a French check of 50 euros.

Clothing cabinet
The organisation is providing a storage facility for equipment and clothes that you don't want to leave around the contest area. Beware of thefts! Each participant will obtain one unique "space" in this storage facility. This service is provided free of charge. Please use it wisely, not to exhaust the volounteers that handles this service for us.

Rain
After a few sunny months were apparently in a rainy period right now. Saturday might be cloudy with some light rain showers. Sunday should be rain-free. With the various tents that we have at our disposal we might be able to provide you a rain free slot during the worst rainfalls. We are also considering different options for covering or clearing the surface once the rain stops.

Saturday evening at Board Café
On Saturday night we are organizing a get together (Party / bar) at the Board Café (8, rue Coquillère 75001 Paris / Métro « Les Halles ») from 21.00. It will give us all an occasion to meet, chat, drink and enjoy the ambience in a surf / slide / skate / style bar (all of the sports that the French call "glisse" ie "gliding" sports). You can bring your friends as well and enjoy the music mix of a variety of Parisian DJ's and the showing of several skate related videos.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call us at 06 09 03 34 12 or by e-mail : contact@riderz.net

See you Saturday (please arrive early!).

The Riderz team

http://www.riderz.net
La communauté francophone des sports de glisse !