[2005] Paris Slalom World Cup 2005 - Results

European Races & Results (for Major, Main and Prime level races)

Moderators: Jani Soderhall, Robert Thiele

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

[2005] Paris Slalom World Cup 2005 - Results

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sun May 15, 2005 12:35 am

The first day of the event has gone by. It didn't look good with a weather forecast of rain the whole day. Same for Sunday. Same for Monday. But somehow it stopped raining around 14:00 and we started setting up courses while racers got registered. And the weather forecast now gives some hope for Sunday and Monday mornings too. We will see.

The Pro race must have been the toughest race ever. 36 very good pros (Only 3 missing of the top 18 racers on the World Ranking April 30). 13 from USA! And the Americans did very well with their very best racers, 4 among top 5. But the top spot went to the unstopable Luca even though Dong gave him a really tough race. Luca won the two final races with only 6 and 4 hundreds of a second.

More stories and comments on the race later.

Here are the results for the first day of straight parallell slalom - Saturday May 14, 2005

(Format PDF)

Tight Pro Qualfication
Tight Pro Finals

Tight Women Qualification
Tight Women Finals

Tight Open Qualification
Tight Open Finals

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sun May 15, 2005 12:39 am

I only had a few shots done with my camera from the amateur tight slalom race today, and they were all taken during the final runs, so quite late in the day. Photo credit: Etienne de Bary.

Open class, Tight slalom

Heiko Schöller, Germany, 1st place

Balthasar Weber, Switzerland (red), 2nd place, Brad Jackman, USA (white), 3rd place

Brad Jackman, USA, 3rd place

Max Möhlmann, Germany, 4th place

Vincent Berruchon, France, 5th place

Hans "Corky" Koraeus, Sweden, 6th place

/Jani
Last edited by Jani Soderhall on Sun May 15, 2005 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

BIG CONGRATZ !

Post by Rene Carrasco » Sun May 15, 2005 3:17 am

BIG CONGRATZ TO BRAD JACKMAN !
-3RD Place -Open Mens - 2005 Paris World Cup !

Don't worry Brad - your Van is doin' fine in my driveway. -ha.

Keep up the great skatin' !

............-Rene CANNONBALL Carrasco.

RENE CARRASCO for - SK8KINGS.COM - Abec 11 Wheels - Tracker Trucks - Khiro Skateboard Products - Nitro Racing Bearings - Vans Skate Shoes !

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Open?

Post by Marty Schaub » Sun May 15, 2005 4:52 pm

Did the course get faster as the evening progressed? Check out some of Heiko Scholler's times in the Open Class. 10.060/cone adj/10.160, 10.360 clean, 10.460 clean & 10.100 CLEAN!

What's he doing in the open? Take his final two runs and compare them to Luca's...He would have only lost by .16......

Time to turn pro Heiko!
La Costa Boy For Life

Farid A Abraham

Times

Post by Farid A Abraham » Sun May 15, 2005 8:09 pm

I think the Pro Class and the Open Class times are a little misleading. The Pro's cones are at 2.0 meters on center and the Open's are at 2.5 meters. So the Open class has to negotiate less cones in the same distance. Regardless, they are all tearing it up!

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sun May 15, 2005 11:47 pm

The weather forecast said rain in the afternoon. It was good weather all day long. I even got a tan. Tomorrow they say it will be a mix of sun and rain. Whatever. Whatever weather we will be there.

Todays racing was an incredible show. But what more to expect when you put 36 of the hottest pros in the same event. Paris 2005 is already an historical event with the toughest field of pro skaters ever seen. You who wasn't there missed out big time. Paris is the thing. Nothing else come close. This is what I call a Major. The Europeans did better today placing 1,2,5,6,9,10. But the big letters was for Jason Mitchell taking first in qual. Luca only making 4:th in qual. Luca then took out Mitchell to again take 1:st. Paul Price taking second. David Hackett 4:th. Dong taking a fall on his shoulder again. It all went well for him thanks to his shoulder protection.

Here are the results for the second day of special parallell slalom - Sunday May 15, 2005

(Format PDF)

Special Pro Qualfication
Special Pro Finals

Special Women Qualification
Special Women Finals

Special Open Qualification
Special Open Finals

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Tue May 17, 2005 4:32 pm

Monday gave a correct weather forecast. It was a mix of sun and rain. This also led to some delays during the day but everything once again finished well.

Another day of incredible racing. It was time for the giant slalom or more correctly a mix of giant and a normal special. A true giant slalom is hard to do at the Trocadero slope. But the course this year was very good and had nothing to do with last years. There was speed, G-forces and some tricky tight sections. Am and pros ran the same course. The pros had the chance to make changes to the course but decided it was good as it was. I have seen complaints that you can't do a true GS on this Trocadero slope but if you ask the riders to choose from going somewhere else and do a real GS or do the best you can of the Trocadero slope the choice is simple. Man, this is Trocadero, in the middle of Paris, right in front of the Eiffel tower, on historical skateboard ground. Who would even think of going somewhere else. Maybe those who have never been racing at Trocadero yet. But who cares about them? Let's give the racers who come what they want. Trocadero racing!

This day the Americans finally got their deserved first place. Jason Mitchell (on whom I had put my money) got it all together and proved that when it goes more against GS his surfing edge shines through. Ramon Königshausen finally could prove his talent by posting the best raw time of the day but with 2 tenth of a second penalty per cone and a bunch (5) of cones hit it didn't help. But he got his podium with a 3:rd place. Second was Chris Hart, also one of the favorites in this race after last years victory, who proved that last year was no one-time luck.

Here are the results from the last day of giant slalom - Monday May 16, 2005

(pdf format)

Giant Pro
Giant Am
Giant Women

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Open tight

Post by Etienne de Bary » Tue May 17, 2005 7:19 pm

Farid A Abraham wrote:I think the Pro Class and the Open Class times are a little misleading. The Pro's cones are at 2.0 meters on center and the Open's are at 2.5 meters.
it's 2.00m and 2.40m. it's very different however, and parisian ams actually usually train in the 2.00m traces. This 2.40m thing is supposed to be welcomeful to non-parisian ams (particularly those who are mainly longboarders), but it's sure a bit too much. There is a bit of controversy on that point.

Niall Horton-Stephens

Paris Photos

Post by Niall Horton-Stephens » Tue May 17, 2005 8:53 pm

Great to see so many skaters. Great event. Great weekend.

Here's some photos... e-mail me if you want bigger files and I will send.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/59092895@N ... 674/">2005 Paris Slalom World Cup</a> photoset.

< Ed note: Link fixed. /Jani >

Shane Causey

Post by Shane Causey » Wed May 18, 2005 2:23 am

Thanks for the GREAT pics!!! Does anyone know who won the slide contest??
luvin my ROE!!

Pierre-Yves Ritschard
panda
panda

Post by Pierre-Yves Ritschard » Wed May 18, 2005 9:43 am

slide contest:

1st place out to antoine bry for the third year in a row
2nd place to our local boy patrick allan
3rd place to fabrice from montreal

Shane Causey

Post by Shane Causey » Wed May 18, 2005 5:36 pm

Thanx Panda!! That guy must be awesome.....any vid anyone may have would be GREATLY appreciated. I know this is a SLALOM forum but I love sliding as well so.... Thanx again.
luvin my ROE!!

John Dillon

Thanks guys...

Post by John Dillon » Wed May 18, 2005 5:40 pm

did Maria or anyone else shoot vid of the slide contest too? How was it judged? Longest slide or raddest or most percentage sliding in a given space?? Just wondering.

Pierre-Yves Ritschard
panda
panda

Post by Pierre-Yves Ritschard » Wed May 18, 2005 5:55 pm

I don't think i've seen maria film the slide contest, but a lot of people were and soon we'll get videos of the contest.

Here's a link to a video of last year's: http://rossiyem.free.fr/videos/urethane.divX.avi

As for the judging, it was based on a number of parameters including style, number of rotations, diversity of slides, smoothness and so on. We elected a jury of neutral judges.

Shane Causey

Post by Shane Causey » Wed May 18, 2005 7:17 pm

Great viddy!!! Many thanx....I trust it was even better this year as everyones skills have probably increased. YOUDA MAN PANDA!!!
luvin my ROE!!