[2002] Tunnel Slalom Event Switzerland

European Races & Results (for Major, Main and Prime level races)

Moderators: Jani Soderhall, Robert Thiele

Maurus Strobel

[2002] Tunnel Slalom Event Switzerland

Post by Maurus Strobel » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:48 pm

Hi everybody!

Hope to see you in Switzerland! The Tunnel is 2-3 % steep and stand for fun for riding!

1st International Tunnel Slalom Skateboard Championships
At the weekend from 2 - 3 November the 1st International Tunnel Slalom Skateboard Championships will take place in the "Girsberg-Tunnel" between Kreuzlingen and Tägerwilen in the east of Switzerland. The skateboard race will be a part of the of the big "Tunnel Party", celebrating the opening of a new highway tunnel.

30'000 visitors are expected to attend the big party, celebrating the opening of the highway tunnel between Kreuzlingen and Tägerwilen in the very east of Switzerland. The fastest skateboarders from Switzerland and abroad are invited for spectacular slalom races. It will not be easy to win the title of the fastest tunnel skater!

There will be three categories: juniors (up to 14 years), Women and Men. On Saturday, there will be a parallel giant slalom with two skaters starting at the same time from the startramp. The cones that have to be rounded, will be set up with a distance of 2.5 to 5 meters from each other. On Sunday it's time for the slalom cracks, racing through a slalom course with a distance of 1.8 to 2.5 meters between the cones. The speed of their movements and the direct competition between the two riders starting at the same time are certainly going to impress!

Also the spectators can get on the move. On the official race track they can try out various longboards and slalomboards for free. Helmets and protectors are at their disposal, too. Why not get the gliding feeling already before the snowboarding season has started?

The 1st Tunnel Skateboard Championships are organized by Airflow Skateboards, Indiana Skateboards under the patronage of Bowl Construction Ltd. and financially supported by Snickers.

In short:

Saturday, 2 November: Parallel Giant Slalom
Training: 12pm - 13.45pm
Race: 2pm - 6pm

Sunday, 3 November Parallel Slalom
Training 12pm - 13.45pm
Race: 2pm - 6pm

Starting fee: Euro 10.- /CHF 15.-
Categories: Juniors (up to 14 years), Women, Men
Sign-up: On site.

Test-runs: Free Airflow and Indiana Skateboards and protective gear. By Rollladen Zürich

Parking space: At "Coop" Tägerwilen. From there public buses to the site of the event.

Info: www.asphaltsurfing.ch
www.kreuzlingen.ch/tunnelfest

Organizer: Airflow Skateboards, Indiana Skateboards. Under patronage of Bowl Construction Ltd.

Mainsponsor: Snickers

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:47 pm

hmmm... do you know if there is any prize money at this event?

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:03 pm

Hmm, this event seems promising as to international participation!

USA, England, Germany, myself.

Seems like both Sharon Sidlo and John Gilmour is coming over.

From England there will be at least 4-5 slalomers. Great!

Germany should be represented by at least 2 slalomers.

Myself, living in Paris, racing for Sweden or both!

Are there others coming?

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:43 am

Unfortunately I had problems getting ticket online so I am out for this one. But I will make hte next one. Good luck to everyone going. At least it can't get too windy or rained out.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:31 pm

A brief thank you to the organizers of the Tunnel event!

We all had great fun and I was impressed to see so many good racers, incredible women, and promising juniors!

The race was good, fast & fun and I feel so honoured having raced the best of you all and still won!

Thank you Airflow, Indiana and Bowl for all your efforts!