EttSexEtt latest slalomboard

Slalom Skateboarding in Sweden

Moderator: Hans Koraeus

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

EttSexEtt latest slalomboard

Post by Hans Koraeus » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:05 am

I just saw it on the Tuesday race this week. It looked really good. I liked the shape too. It looked just like a skateboard should look like. People who have tried it say it actually made them go faster in the cyberslalom too. Hmm, that's worth a shot. Whatever to avoid that workout.

I will try to take a "papparazi" picture on the board next Tuesday.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:37 am

edit
Last edited by Glenn S on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Marcus Seyffarth

secrets

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:11 pm

Sounds like you figured out how the boards are built, so there's not much I can tell you. But we are looking into both vinylester and infusion, though as we have moved twice this last 6 months things are not as smooth as we wish. Though as the 2004 board performes that well theres really no need for a change at this moment...

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:09 am

Yes, Glenn. That's the one. I will try to run it on Tuesday. Let's see if it makes me faster.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:09 am

edit
Last edited by Glenn S on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher

Post by Paul Keleher » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:18 am

Glenn S wrote:What does EttSexEtt's stand for, or translate in English?
Glenn,

If you look on the website, it's Swedish for 161.

Drank beer with these guys about a year ago...Marcus is a "diamond Geezer" as we would say in the UK

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:16 pm

Glenn, you know quite a lot about board construction, materials, truck hole positions and marketing. Have you ever thought of making and marketing your own brand of decks?
Given your experience you could probably turn out a very nice product.
S Race Boards has a nice ring to it : )
Your price suggestion of 140.00 or less would beat every hand made deck out there. Depending on your production I bet you would sell a bunch at that price.

Have you thought of starting your own company and who would you want as your team rider? TK

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:43 pm

edit
Last edited by Glenn S on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gareth Roe
RoeRacing Team Captain
RoeRacing Team Captain

Infusion

Post by Gareth Roe » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:30 pm

Glenn-
Not sure if this thread is in the right forum anymore. But since this is where it started, I will answer some of the points brought up here as well. (Adam - feel free to move this to the appropriate forum if needed.)

RoeRacing has been using an infusion process for the last year and the advantages over traditional wet lay-ups and regular vacuum bagging are significant. However, what this process brings to the finished product may not be readily noticeable to the average person (then again – the typical slalom skater could hardly be considered “average”). Whether the part is small (like a slalom skate board) or large (like a boat hull, the vertical stabilizer on an airplane or a helicopter rotor blade), the molds are EXPENSIVE to have built (properly) and the amount of labor that goes into this process (versus compression molding, pressing, or even straight up vacuum bagging) is SIGNIGNIFICANTLY higher. The big benefit is that resin infusion guarantees a consistent resin to reinforcement ratio. Unlike a typical vacuum bagging process, the air is already displaced from the part before the resin is introduced. However, like I said before, there is a considerable amount of time getting the parts set-up, the resin distribution system in place and the vacuum film totally sealed. Then once you pull the trigger on the whole process, you can't just walk away and come back several hours later. It requires constant watching and adjustments until the resin starts to cure. Oh and one more thing, you have to use a special resin (much thinner than a typical epoxy or vinyl esther) that will easily flow through-out the part. This all adds up quickly!

With regards to others building boards - like yourself! Go ahead - I encourage anyone who has ever had any desire to build their own decks to give it a try!! I will even help if anyone has questions! I'm not going to give a way all our secrets, but I will help anyone who wants to try - seriously!

Later-
Gareth

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:14 pm

edit
Last edited by Glenn S on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:25 am

edit
Last edited by Glenn S on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:05 am

This is probably the most informative thread in the forum regarding how raceboards are built anyway... Thanks for all the sharing and all the thoughts! As all understand the number of raceboards sold today is not very large and because of this the way to produce them is small scale which brings a fairly high price. For me this is not a problem, sure it would be fun if the whole world would skate cones and all would ride our boards. But on the other hand I'm as happy spending little time in the workshop and less in the line before it's my turn to give the course a go.

Basically we will refine our already (if I get to say this) pretty nice boards, and also refine the building process. But as the it looks rigth now EttSexEtt Raceboards will remain pretty exclusive with probably no more than 50 boards built each year. Though we also build skateboards that have more flex, more camber and more surf to them to take you to 7-Eleven in a smooth way, and they might be built using some of the above.

Paul! I'm not sure what a diamond geezer is, but I'm sure it's all good and I wonder when we'll see you in one of our courses... These days you won't get away just cause it's winter in sweden - we have (as you probably know) indoor practice every darn week...

Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher

Post by Paul Keleher » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:14 am

Marcus,

next time i come out, i'll bring a board!!

"diamond geezer" ----- "A jolly nice Chap!"

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:39 pm

Glen, can you post some pics of your work. I am intrested to see what your boards are like and how they ride. Thanks, TK