Wedges

Bushings - Pivots - Speed Rings - Traction etc

Moderator: Henry Julier

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:25 am

It is my experience that there is a distinct lack of specific degree of angled wedges avaialable. In my exhaustive research, I have only come up with two readily available wedges. Tracker and those urethane wedges found at online retailers.

It is of my opinion that if an enteprising individual manufactured a variety of angled wedges and put them to our group, that he or she may find a receptive consumer base.

When discussing truck wedging with enthusiasts, wedges are always a question. The degree of angle, the construction and who makes them are all variables that are not easily understood. I believe that Tracker wedges are just about the only widely known wedge system besides "Rad Pads" which are quite rare and expensive.

Anyway, I'm sure that this is being addressed by someone and we will see a solution in the future.

Howard Gordon
1953-2010 (RIP)
1953-2010 (RIP)

Post by Howard Gordon » Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:21 am

Adam -

Finding suitable wedges (along with truck cushions) has been a continuous source of frustration. I finally concluded that the best solution was to cut the standard 1/8" urethane risers in thirds (throwing out the middle section), and creating a virtual wedge with the pieces. Each slice adds approximately 3-degrees. It's cheap, easy to do, doesn't look tacky. Bobo noted in a post on the TTC's that he does exactly the same thing.

Bob Frias
BoBo
BoBo

Post by Bob Frias » Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:47 am

When in doubt, whip it out.

Been my philosphy for a lifetime.

Wedges are a source of concern for us. I'm happy with the urethane wedges I got from solidskate. I have my Tracker Fuls wedged with urethane wedges from them [clear ones], with an additional 1/8 new school riser to keep the wheelbite at bay. But it's my knowledge that makes them work.

So far I've been happy with that. I'm not sold on any new wedges per se but I'm working within the boundaries of what is available. A newbie is gonna find it a bit rough till he does searches for decent info on the subject. How can we make a FAQ that makes sense and directs new guys as well as older slalomers to the correct info?

Adam, I leave it to you to make this happen. I speak for myself and perhaps Howard to go ahead and open a "newbies to slalom" forum.

I'll gladly part out my knowledge on set-ups and I'm sure HG will be right there with his input. Between the pair of us [and others] we can impart wisdom as to what it takes to begin the arduous process of setting up a board to fit your ankles/needs. Slalom is the ONLY discipline that requires a real knowledge of what you're standing on to reap the benefits of it.

Standing on a plank with hard wheels and asking it to flip is not what would have gotten me into skating. It's unfair to expect kids to perform tricks that Rodney Mullen is the only one who can even attempt as a way of tempting youngsters into skating.

The youth should be aware of slalom.

Let's make it accessible.

B

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Wed Sep 18, 2002 5:09 pm

great post Bob, i find difficult to understand many of the aspects of slalom, to tell u the truth its so technical, or at least pro riders have changed it into the indy or F1 of the skateboarding.

wedges, angle risers or wichever name they can call it, are so hard to understand, i read some post that states " i found the 2.3° i was expecting" sand something like that. maybe its me and my lack of experience, but for me right now, i am lost in that game.

currently i am using 2 plastic angled raisers fat end in in my response, and they work fine to me. if i change them to urethane risers would that affect in any particular way?

NEW INFO:

i am in the process of designing wedges, this are the ones that i have in mind.

2,3,5,7,9,15°(you can take a 30° truck and wedge it like a 45°)

and heights will be from 3mm to the usual 1/2 inches (the thin part), let me hear your thougths

leo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Leonardo Ojeda on 2002-09-20 17:27 ]</font>

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:46 pm

Leo, you may already have the intention for this, but just in case not: I would have the thin part of every wedge be 1mm (3mm is probably OK too) and have the thick part increase in height with each consecutive angle increase. That leaves each one as a true wedge, with no excess height. In the USA, we are totally thirsting for ones like this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WesE on 2002-10-04 15:47 ]</font>

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:05 pm

Wes, thanx for the suggestion

i passed the designing stage, now i amin the production cost stage.

OÑO pads are almost a reality

this are the angles so far:
1°,2°,3°,5°,10°,15°

any colors in specific?

height of the thinpart will be 1mm

and they will made of hard plastic.

suggestios accepted

leo
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:35 pm

Yes!

Count me in too!

Colors?

Clear

Black

White

Silver

Let me know...
On 2002-10-08 11:05, Leonardo Ojeda wrote:
Wes, thanx for the suggestion

i passed the designing stage, now i amin the production cost stage.

OÑO pads are almost a reality

this are the angles so far:
1°,2°,3°,5°,10°,15°

any colors in specific?

height of the thinpart will be 1mm

and they will made of hard plastic.

suggestios accepted

leo

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:01 pm

thanx for the ideas adam:
i really want to help the usa market, i have a good friend that has the plastic factory who can inject the risers.

the main problem are the initail production cost

to give u an idea the mold costs 1300 per riser, so we are talking of an initial inversion of 8000 usd

so i would have to make 2700 risers to paid the inversion. that means 1350 skateboards!

i wont stop my project, only that it would be slower than i tought

leo
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:16 am

Adam what is the purpose of dewedging the back trucks. I have heard some skaters do this. ?

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:01 pm

...uhh, wow, you are asking me???

On the back truck, fat side out, toward the rear of the board, makes the truck have a larger turning radius than the front. When running cone, this allows the back to not "sway out of line." The back follows a leaner line through, in this, you can "push" against it. In addition to wedging the back, tighten up the back truck as much as possible augments this wedging technique. It's a good technique, I would say that most racers wedge the rear almost as much as the front.

I run a German Seismic up front, a wedged TTC in back. This is a great set-up for me as I can track/push/pump from the rear and have quick steering up front.
On 2002-12-17 22:16, Eddy Martinez wrote:
Adam what is the purpose of dewedging the back trucks. I have heard some skaters do this. ?

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Mon Dec 23, 2002 3:25 pm

OK guys....i've got a question along the same line. I've been riding for many moons, but ony recently started slalom, so i have ALOT to learn. One board i'm putting together is mostly for street and fun riding. It's a retro-style Fibreflex cutaway reissue with the tracker RTX/S set up and Hyper Stradas. I've read your advice to "back wedge" the rear, but would that apply to this hook up too?....and should i wedge the front too?

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Mon Dec 23, 2002 3:46 pm

Yes, both wedges pointing forward.

The Hyper Strada's are good wheels, but the Avalons are such a great wheel, man, if you can put them on your street board, do. When you run cone, you will know more about their performance...

Wedging a Seismic in front, in my opinion is generally not needed. They have plenty of steering and are pretty smooth and predictable about it as well. Wedging some trucks in my experience augments their "twitchy" behavior. Some like this, some don't.

Experiment, take the time to find out what you like, this is how we have gotten to the point where boards are quite odd looking other than having four wheels two trucks and a deck.

My Roe with a Seismic up front, a TTC in back and the fairly large Avalons is a board that I have put together after considering many opinions, tring suggestions, working through what I liked and finally practicing and racing. I love this board and cherish the experience and knowledge behind each and every component but I have no problem riding it HARD.

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:04 pm

Thanks Adam. Since road courses are basically UNKNOWN where i'm at, i really dont have much good info to rely on "in person". But you have GREAT info on this site! You're the SECOND guy in two days who told me the Av's are the only way to go. Time to put my pennies together. And wedges it is. Thanks again!

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:32 pm

the new Slidewedge™ .....wait for this stuff! a breakthru design made by the "real life dexter laboratory" its going to be available soon...

they are going to improve ur riding abilities, and the way u treat ur slalomboard

leo

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

Slidewedges (tm)

Post by Steve Collins » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:51 pm

... what happened to these? I'd definitely buy 1 couple each of 5*, 10* & 15*