TrakMate 3.0 Food for Thought

Timing System

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Thu May 15, 2003 3:53 pm

Very interesting reading as of late. Yes TK I have been slacking off but I'm back. Here's the deal...when you turn version 3.0 on you will be prompted with a menu with 3 options. The first will give you the option to set the system the way version 2.0 works; it will only start when the racer crosses the tape. The second choice will give you a simple tone start with 4 beeps at 1 second intervals. The clocks will start on the 4th beep. The third option is very similar to how the F1 guys start (minus the red lights) you will hear 3 beeps and the 4th beep will be randomized...giving a TRUE reaction time. In auto racing, the average reaction is .2
This will eliminate a bunch of false starts because you can't anticipate the final beep; you have to wait 'til you hear it to go.

Again, thanks for your feedback and patients during this R&D phase. 3.0 is being built right now and should be available in June.

Peace,

William

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Thu May 15, 2003 3:58 pm

I would also like to add that thanks to Howard Gordon’s suggestion, we are adding a simple port that will allow an attachment to trigger a gate or something of that nature.

Vlad, how you coming on my custom PlankkR?
Good luck in Paris.
" If a man can write a better book, or preach a better sermon, or make a better Slalom Board than his neighbor, even if he builds his house in the woods the world will make a beaten path to his door." Team Fatboy

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Thu May 15, 2003 4:27 pm

Way to go Tway.

That sure is noce. If the CDN $ keeps moving in the same direction it may be affordable by the end of summer.

Tks.
Many Happy Pumps!

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Thu May 15, 2003 5:01 pm

Tway,
When the gate output gets closer to reality please post some more details as far as what type of plug and current output. Thanks!

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Thu May 15, 2003 6:05 pm

William Tway wrote: Very interesting reading as of late. Yes TK I have been slacking off but I'm back. Here's the deal...when you turn version 3.0 on you will be prompted with a menu with 3 options. The first will give you the option to set the system the way version 2.0 works; it will only start when the racer crosses the tape. The second choice will give you a simple tone start with 4 beeps at 1 second intervals. The clocks will start on the 4th beep. The third option is very similar to how the F1 guys start (minus the red lights) you will hear 3 beeps and the 4th beep will be randomized...giving a TRUE reaction time. In auto racing, the average reaction is .2
This will eliminate a bunch of false starts because you can't anticipate the final beep; you have to wait 'til you hear it to go.

Again, thanks for your feedback and patients during this R&D phase. 3.0 is being built right now and should be available in June.

Peace,

William
Since the average reaction time of the F1 racers is .2 seconds - lets not fool ourselves and think that we are faster. Likely we are ALL probably slower given the extremely large pool of drivers out there.

So if the average reaction time window is about .2 with most liklely being slower...... should we consider this reaction time large or small relative to the time differentials on a FAST course for the top 10 riders?

If my reaction time is better- screw skateboarding- I'm going into Formula 1. Likely our reaction time is worse- and with such close times we won't really be able to guage our course skill improvement against other riders in a competition.

I want to hear a good arguement telling me that the finish order of very closely seeded racers will not be randomized a lot more than with independent starts.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Thu May 15, 2003 7:13 pm

JG, this is why we are adding an output for a gate. Please build one so we can use it at da farm. Also, you don't necessary have to DQ a racer is he leaves .25 early or late. Basically you can get an audio tape and record the beep sequence independently. Then without plugging it into the timer, you can start the racers with your boom box and get ACTURAL times with no DQ’s or reaction times. The clocks will start independently as the racers cross the tape. Just a thought.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Thu May 15, 2003 11:58 pm

"I want to hear a good arguement telling me that the finish order of very closely seeded racers will not be randomized a lot more than with independent starts."

JG, the closely seeded racer with the best reaction time and start will finish at the top of the order.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:40 am

Hey what is up with the Trakmate?

We've heard about Pats timer all summer but not much about the Trackmate. Is Pats timer better?

What is the pricing breakdown for a Trakmate these days?

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Chronocone vs Trackmate -- which one?

Post by Pat Chewning » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:58 am

Glenn S wrote:Hey what is up with the Trakmate?

We've heard about Pats timer all summer but not much about the Trakmate. Is Pats timer better?

What is the pricing breakdown for a Trakmate these days?
The Chronocone timer is better than the Trakmate for certain things.
The Trakmate timer is better than the Chronocone for certain things.

I would choose a Trakmate:
For small local contests
If I didn't have or want a computer.
For ease of portability and ease of use (set-up)
If I didn't mind hand-entering the data into a computer or hand-written time sheet.
If I can afford about $200 just for the timer (without switches, wires, etc)
If I need a timer RIGHT NOW

I would choose a Chronocone:
For races with more than 20 people.
If I already have a computer (e.g. to do a spreadsheet for the race).
If I don't mind putting in the additional effort and hassle of set-up
If I value the speed of instant spreadsheet entry and results.
If I can afford the wait to get one (there are only 6 in existence, next build is probably this winter for delivery in Spring '05)

A Chronocone will cost less than a Trakmate IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A COMPUTER.

If you dont' already have a computer, then the Chronocone costs about $400 more than a Trakmate.

For both timing systems, there is also a major expense for wire and tape switches.

For both timing systems, there is a certain level of assembly required (wires and switches).

-- Pat

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:40 am

Well said Pat.