Trackmate 6.6 / 6.7 / 6.8

Timing System

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Trackmate 6.6 / 6.7 / 6.8

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue May 06, 2008 6:10 pm

I had Daniel build a new function to the Trackmate where the four beep start was replaced by a new random order beep start:

beep beep beep - these three beeps as 1 sec intervals means "prepare yourself"

silence - random (between 2 - 4.6 sec) waiting time

beeeep = departure

We're using it in Paris this coming weekend, as a measure to avoid the "lift-your-front-trucks-over-the-tapeswitch" problem.

This version is called 6.6 and this mode replaces the usual Head-to-head mode typically used in races where simultaneous starts are needed.

/Jani
Last edited by Jani Soderhall on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Wed May 07, 2008 5:50 pm

I think this is an improvement. Now reaction time will truly be reaction time, not "anticipation time."

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed May 07, 2008 5:56 pm

A rhythmic start is as much a part of sport as athleticism and bitching with referees.

"On your mark . . . get set . . . go!"

"Red . . . Yellow . . . Yellow . . . GREEN!"

As far as I know American football is the only sport where the play start it disguised with an off-cadence and the quarterback does that to stymie the defense.

Sorry. I don't see how turning the race START into a dainty skip-to-my-lou hesitation dance improves the sport.

CHARGING the start and getting a positive reaction time measured in 1000/ths of a second is cool. Making the start a guessing game is not.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Wed May 07, 2008 6:05 pm

Schoolyard sport, sure, but not head-to-head or multi-participant racing. They don't start the 100-meter dash, drag races or swim meets with a cadence.

Tomato, tomahto... :-|

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

LOL

Post by Claude Regnier » Wed May 07, 2008 6:16 pm

HMM. You don't see it Wesley?

Yet you propose a double eliminations with no use of the clock at all?

C'mon really now, tell us what you are on these days will ya?
Many Happy Pumps!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Re: LOL

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed May 07, 2008 6:24 pm

Claude Regnier wrote:HMM. You don't see it Wesley?

Yet you propose a double eliminations with no use of the clock at all?

C'mon really now, tell us what you are on these days will ya?
Where did you get the idea there's no clock at all? There will be a clock for qualifying and there will be clocks timing each race. Without a clock the only way to determine a false start and the finish is by an eye witness and that's too unreliable.

Where did you ever get the idea double elimination racing eliminated a clock?

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Final beep cadence is specified in ISSA rules

Post by Pat Chewning » Wed May 07, 2008 6:56 pm

I don't know if a random final-beep cadence is better than a uniform cadence, but I do know it does not conform to the current ISSA rules, or to the contest sanction application. If you want to deviate from the ISSA rules, you should list those deviations in the contest application, otherwise you may open yourself up to skaters expecting one start method and receiving another....
Sanction Application wrote:Rules: Describe any exceptions to the ISSA rules, clarification of rules, equipment allowed or
restricted (e.g. 6-wheels), competitors allowed or restricted, and any other special rules that
will apply to this contest.
We will respect the standard ISSA rules and French Championships Rules (RTS).
ISSA RULES wrote:5.1. START OF RUN
The start of the run shall follow a predictable and consistent sequence for all racers:
· Racers are called to the start and assume a ready position in the start ramp
· Race officials determine that the course is ready and the racers are ready.
· The timing system is armed and the racers given an audible signal.
· The timing system provides tones on 1-second intervals:
· 3 seconds to start
· 2 seconds to start
· 1 second to start
· START (Shall differ in pitch, duration, or volume from the preceding tones)
· Upon START signal, the clock will start for both courses, regardless of whether the
racers have passed the start line.

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Wed May 07, 2008 7:10 pm

Oh gosh, c'mon really!

JBH is right. You can't call it reaction time if you start with a uniform cadence. That sort of starting sequence will give an advantage those guys who "practice" the starting interval Do you really want ot be so mean and go out to practice beep starts? At last we want to skate, right?

I think you get enough anticipation/reaction time training when practicing TS...

My vote goes for the trackmate 6.5!

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Wed May 07, 2008 10:52 pm

Ramón Königshausen wrote:That sort of starting sequence will give an advantage those guys who "practice" the starting interval Do you really want ot be so mean and go out to practice beep starts?
That's what we did last winter and it paid off. However I still think that real reaction start is the way to go, we just haven't had a tool before. Now we have, lets use it.

Its finally gonna be real racing and everyone will be even more nervous on the startramp...

For the record, its really trackmate v6.6
You're right, we most recent one is now 6.6 - I updated the title / Jani

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Starting method

Post by Claude Regnier » Thu May 08, 2008 10:07 am

I don't think there will be many complaints on this side of the pond as many events have used it in the past.

It is true reaction time and that's an undisputible fact! It is closer to a track and field sprint start for sure.

Wesley, the real point I was making again is that after years of the slalom community working together to provide better and more accurate race timing systems we seem to have gone backwards by using the double elimination format in a Major US Championship.

There will be a clock to determine qualifying times for positioning and bracketing. For years Jack has said qualifying means nothing that is why he never wanted to use a numbered position for final placings and showed 1 to 4 then 5,5,5,5 - 9,9,9,9 - and so on.

The fasle stqrt DQ is a whole other matter that will keep people from comming unfortunately. Very few people like that and will spend the extra costs to attend the race this year under these formats.

By taking out cone counts and setting a max cone hit DQ you are again going backwards in progress to what we have tried to improve upon over the years. Sure no one likes to count cones and cone judge, it's messy and takes time. Unfortunately until we have gates that get replaced themselves and automatically forward a signal to the clock/timer it is what we are stuck with.

The clock is still there just likely less meaningful in a larger percentage of the races.

Just for the record. I would likely be attending If I could. I scheduled my summer camps last December. The only event I new the dates of were the World Championships in Sweden. Unfortunately Hood & Morro Bay are next to impossible although has a slitghtly higher chance of me attending due to the dates.

I hope enough people show up to make it worth while as Moro Bay is a excellent venue and town for a race. There are people that are going simply to support the event but do not like the system and this is what I would be doing if it were at all possible. On a good day for me this system could be better personally. Those good days are further and fewer betweeen and may be gone for that matter.

I attend comps too support slalom growth, have fun, coach other competitors, help organisers where & when I can and represent. That is what it is all about for me, nothing more nothing less.

As far as the jabs Wesley it's just that sometimes you are a little irritating. Sorry!
Many Happy Pumps!

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Forgot something!

Post by Claude Regnier » Thu May 08, 2008 10:13 am

If you read over where I listed the reasons in order of why I attend events you may notice I forgot the key word RACE. I guess altough I enjoy it tremendously at this stage of my life it is just not as important as the other things I mentioned, EH?
Many Happy Pumps!

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Re: Final beep cadence is specified in ISSA rules

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu May 08, 2008 4:36 pm

Pat Chewning wrote:...you should list those deviations in the contest application, otherwise you may open yourself up to skaters expecting one start method and receiving another.
I agree Pat. I had previously announced (in the topic, not in the sanction document) that there will be a few slight modifications to the rules and that they were to be announced. It turns out it took quite some time to get here, but I still made the decision to go forward with this change.

I consider this improvement sufficiently small (in terms of deviation from the ISSA rules) and sufficiently important to get around another problem: that of lifting the front wheels over the start tape switch. Thus, it was a matter of choice between two alternatives, where I think this is the best step going forward.

I will make sure that there are no major protests among the participants before we start the race. We have a backup timer with the usual start beep order, just in case.

/Jani

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Re: Final beep cadence is specified in ISSA rules

Post by Pat Chewning » Thu May 08, 2008 6:32 pm

Jani Soderhall wrote: I agree Pat. I had previously announced (in the topic, not in the sanction document) that there will be a few slight modifications to the rules and that they were to be announced. It turns out it took quite some time to get here, but I still made the decision to go forward with this change.

I consider this improvement sufficiently small (in terms of deviation from the ISSA rules) and sufficiently important to get around another problem: that of lifting the front wheels over the start tape switch. Thus, it was a matter of choice between two alternatives, where I think this is the best step going forward.

I will make sure that there are no major protests among the participants before we start the race. We have a backup timer with the usual start beep order, just in case.

/Jani
I agree that it is a small deviation, and your approach looks reasonable. When the time comes to revise rules, you might want to propose a real "reaction time" start method, or we can just treat this as a deviation and contest organizers can document this in the sanction application.

My main point was that the ISSA rules are currently clear about the start method, and that deviations need to be documented. (Without making any value judgement on whether the deviation is better than the standard method)

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Fri May 16, 2008 10:26 pm

The v6.6 was used in PSWC2008 with great success I believe. However I would like to see a v6.7 for future use with two changes.

1. Change the random beep to be scheduled one full second earlier, the wait was too long
2. Change the single lane start back to 'normal'.

Other than that it was great and all I spoke to during the race said the same!

/Marcus

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat May 17, 2008 11:58 am

Marcus Seyffarth wrote:1. Change the random beep to be scheduled one full second earlier, the wait was too long.
I agree. Not only does the rider have to wait a bit too long, but it also slows down the tempo of the event, so that's a good change.
Marcus Seyffarth wrote:2. Change the single lane start back to 'normal'.
I never intended it this way and during the race we switched to an older timer to have the standard 4 beep system for qualifying.

I will talk to Daniel at TrackMate and request that these changes be made.

/Jani

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Trackmate 6.??? available for Hood River Race?

Post by Pat Chewning » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:42 pm

We want to use the Trackmate version 6.??? for the upcoming race in Hood River. (Connect to computer and download the times).

Does anyone have one we can buy, beg, borrow, or rent?

Please let me know......

Thanks,

-- Pat

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Re: Trackmate 6.??? available for Hood River Race?

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:29 pm

Pat Chewning wrote:Does anyone have one we can buy, beg, borrow, or rent?
I have a whole bunch of them ordered and I'm waiting for them to be built and delivered. I could probably lend you one if you could forward it to me afterwards. When's your event?

Someone with a really recent one may be able to have the software reloaded, but we haven't got the latest release (with fixes suggested after Paris) yet. Chris Barker will be the first to know when I have it.

/Jani

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:03 am

Our event is July 18, 19, 20

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:09 pm

Marcus Seyffarth wrote:I would like to see a v6.7 for future use with two changes.

1. Change the random beep to be scheduled one full second earlier, the wait was too long
2. Change the single lane start back to 'normal'.
Done. Trackmate 6.7 is now available. I've ordered a few and they're heading towards Europe at this time. Pat Chewning may have ordered one too. Trackmate should actually be out of stock already on the new 6.7 so if you want one, you may have to wait weeks to get one.

If you have a (very) recent TrackMate, contact me, Marcus or Corky to obtain a software patch that can be loaded into the timer to update to version 6.7. (I'm on vacation for the next time period, with no email.)

I hope the new version will be appreciated. It's likely that it'll be used at the World Championships in Gothenburg and at the World Cup in Grenoble, but who knows maybe you'll see (and hear) it at other events too!

/Jani

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:42 pm

I should have a new one on Monday. How do I get the FW patch?

Sj Kalliokoski

Post by Sj Kalliokoski » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:10 pm

I would also interested to get upgrade batch?
-pokkis

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:31 pm

I just installed version 6.8 on my trackmate that can output times on the seriall port that are greater than 65 seconds and it seems to work just fine.

Toby Warg

Post by Toby Warg » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:53 am

Where can I get the file and a short instruction on how to update?

Sj Kalliokoski

Post by Sj Kalliokoski » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:44 pm

Sj Kalliokoski wrote:I would also interested to get upgrade batch?
As above i have also same question still :)
-pokkis

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:13 am

My laptop where I have emails with the latest patch and info on "how to" crashed the other day. Until it's back up and running I can't help. Donald should have an email with 6.8 and the info, perhaps he can forward it to you.

Toby Warg

Post by Toby Warg » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:15 am

No stress here, but if Donald has got the time, then mail it to:
tobias.warg@limplongboards.se

Thanks.

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:01 pm

you got mail

Toby Warg

Post by Toby Warg » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:51 pm

Thanks! Worked like a charm.
One question though. It seems like buttons one and three switched place?

Sj Kalliokoski

Post by Sj Kalliokoski » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:56 pm

If Donald or some one else had time, i would like to get also update to only Finish Trackmate before our race in September.
Mail is pokkis@ojankaivajat.org
-pokkis

Toby Warg

Post by Toby Warg » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:04 pm

Sj Kalliokoski wrote:If Donald or some one else had time, i would like to get also update to only Finish Trackmate before our race in September.
Mail is pokkis@ojankaivajat.org
In your mail.